• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo Sport launches October 18 - trailer

Chaostar

The needed adapter can be bought pre-made for €30: https://blog.gimx.fr/product/gimx-adapter/

Or it can be made for €10-€15 yourself, which I did using the guide on what to buy that is found on the GIMX site.

Note that it needs a laptop with the software running as intermediary in the connection between PS4 and your legacy wheel. You get full force feedback with this solution.

Cheers.

What a fart on.

Anyone wanna buy a Logitech G25 wheel?

I don't get the complaints about the Single player, this looks way more interesting. Old GT's were beyond stale, and the car counts were grossly inflated. This is what the series needed, a reboot of sorts.
And it's not like there's no single player. Just the career is different. I'm totally cool with just picking a track and a car and some options, and going.

Gestault

That Audi Quattro S1(?) from Yiazmat's post gave me flashbacks of driving the Celica GT-Four. I can dream. I can't wait for the complete car list.

Bumhead

Banned
I've had almost zero hype for this at any point since it's announcement, but now it has a date I'm all in. Gran Turismo is still a significant event release for me.

Hoje0308

Banned
Glad this finally got a date and I will probably buy it eventually. But, its competitors offer more of just about everything, including dynamic weather (and seasons in PCars2) and changing track conditions. GT looks like more of the same old shit but with better graphics. Curious to see what the experience is like playing online with randoms though. If that's an improvement over the others my purchase is guaranteed.

muteki

Not terribly excited that the campaign looks more like an overhaul to the license test system than something more event based.

They could ditch it all and do a create-an-event though and I would be happy.

Not terribly excited that the campaign looks more like an overhaul to the license test system than something more event based.

They could ditch it all and do a create-an-event though and I would be happy.

I don't think this is true...there are full blown races I believe, and some challenges leading up to them.

danowat

Banned
I have a feeling that if you aren't particularly interested in racing online, you may find the single player component lacking.

The game has the 'sport' moniker for a reason, and there is a reason it isn't GT7.

They could alleviate this somewhat if the game had a custom championship creator, maybe the arcade mode will be more robust this time round?

Curious to see what the experience is like playing online with randoms though. If that's an improvement over the others my purchase is guaranteed.
The key to online in the beta has been "behave and you get to race other people that behave." You get a sportsmanship rating from E to S that adjusts over time. This is separate from your skill rating. The idea being that you can be matched by skill + sportsmanship at the same time. Works well in the beta. Generally I hate competitive online but I found it pretty easy to settle in to. You pick a car, set a qualifying time for grid position, and the matching has been solid even with a relatively small player pool.

Race clean and race smart and you'll play with other randoms that do. I haven't been able to get over the fear of getting hit at every corner yet, despite the fact I know it won't happen in my races. That's a gaming instinct I may never grow out of! Between ping + input latency people can typically follow at about a half second without risk of contact assuming the drivers know the track, know braking points, etc.

thelastword

Banned
gts9xs1m.gif
Now, that's how you do lighting in a tunnel.....Best graphics in a racer.....that lighting in general and those night time races really bring out how ahead of the curve PD is...October 17th can't come soon enough.

Hoje0308

Banned
The key to online in the beta has been "behave and you get to race other people that behave." You get a sportsmanship rating from E to S that adjusts over time. This is separate from your skill rating. The idea being that you can be matched by skill + sportsmanship at the same time. Works well in the beta. Generally I hate competitive online but I found it pretty easy to settle in to. You pick a car, set a qualifying time for grid position, and the matching has been solid even with a relatively small player pool.

Race clean and race smart and you'll play with other randoms that do. I haven't been able to get over the fear of getting hit at every corner yet, despite the fact I know it won't happen in my races. That's a gaming instinct I may never grow out of! Between ping + input latency people can typically follow at about a half second without risk of contact assuming the drivers know the track, know braking points, etc.

Yeah, I've watched a fair amount of beta footage on YT, but do wonder how long it will take to separate serious racers from those that love to cause mayhem at turn one when there are millions of people playing. Is there anything to prevent brake check collisions and other such shenanigans from affecting your rating?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I'm in for this. The extras in the other editions don't do much for me though. I'll just stick with the base game.

I'm ready!

#VroomVroom

Preordered the limited edition (I'm a steel book whore) and ready to race! Let's GOOOOOO!

Need to get rid of my Logitech G25 and get a new wheel. I can't believe they have not fix this shit!

Anyone know how i can sell my G25 cheap?

Servbot24

Banned
I'm still bummed by the way Sony treats this franchise. To think it's by far their best selling game traditionally, yet they barely acknowledge it.

I'm still bummed by the way Sony treats this franchise. To think it's by far their best selling game traditionally, yet they barely acknowledge it.

It is odd....I am assuming marketing will kick in a bit more now closer to release? The franchise has been oddly manager for sure.

Audioboxer

Totally going to be unfinished on release. Cue 40 patches totalling 63GB.

My optimism for this game is at an all-time low. Like scraping the barrel low. I also think it will absolutely tank in reviews.

Let's see!

salty SP gamer too

Gestault

It is odd....I am assuming marketing will kick in a bit more now closer to release? The franchise has been oddly manager for sure.

I figure once they have a hard set of marketing points and a gold disc in-hand, they'll be putting real weight behind it. It might be as simple as PD being nose to the grindstone and at odds with a gunshy marketing department (they had announced the release for last year, and a lot of promo materials were made up for that before the last slip).

Duxxy3

Anybody in the beta had any throttle issues when using a brook XB1->PS4 converter? I have problems with Trials Fusion and the converter, so I'm just checking.

Hoje0308

Banned
Seriously. People are already crying enough about Sony "not supporting" PSVR.

Yep, it would be silly for Sony to adopt a "Figure it out, stupid" approach. If someone walks into a store, sees GT Sport and notices that it can be played in VR that person might just pick up Sony's (relatively) new VR unit.

cooldawn

"17 locations are provided with 28 different layouts."

http://www.gran-turismo.com/us/products/gtsport/

So:

Nurburgring - 3 (GP, Nordschleife, 24h)
Brands Hatch - 2 (Grand Prix, Indy Circuit)
Willow Springs - 3 (Big Willow, Streets of Willow, Horse Thief Mile)
Suzuka - 2 (Full, East)
Interlagos - 1
Bathurst - 1
Northern Isle Speedway - 1
Blue Moon Bay - 1
Tokyo Expressway - 1?
Fisherman's Ranch - 1?
Dragon Trail Raceway - 1?
Sardegna Windmills - 1?
Lake Maggiore - 1?

There's 13 locations and at least 19 layouts there already.

The 4 remaining locations could be:

Red Bull Ring - 2 (Full, Short)
La Sarthe - 2 (Le Mans, Bugatti?)
Silverstone - 4 (Grand Prix, International, National, Stowe)
Spa-Francorchamps - 1

But if there's a new rally location then one of those 4 is not gonna make it.

Disappointing track list no matter what.
Appalling circuit list. The worst in franchise history?

So if you had to choose the 3 remaining ones, which ones would you pick from this list:

Red Bull Ring
La Sarthe
Silverstone
Spa-Francorchamps
Laguna Seca
Seattle
Trial Mountain
Deep Forest
Grand Valley
Spa-Francorchamps - I mean, how could you not?
La Sarthe - with Bugatti variants
Silverstone - for history

The rest can come along as free DLC, hopefully Seattle first, then Red Bull Ring and then whatever.

great that they're doing it but that looks awful.
It's from Gran Turismo 5...when Kaz was experimenting before complainers came along. Aching to see how this procedural tech would have come along by now.

Totally going to be unfinished on release. Cue 40 patches totalling 63GB.

My optimism for this game is at an all-time low. Like scraping the barrel low. I also think it will absolutely tank in reviews.

Let's see!

salty SP gamer too

Based on the Beta...doubtful. it is very polished already.

Audioboxer

Based on the Beta...doubtful. it is very polished already.

Doubtful that it will be as bad as I fear?

Even with PD nailing their usual driving physics, and some gorgeous graphics, Sport is going content-lite and the reviews, IMO, will crucify it for that. Not to mention nuking SP and leaving it as some shell of what GT used to be. Finally, that coupled with the mind-blogging length of dev cycle. There is the "shhh, franchise that will not be named", that just treats gamers better than GT and it's obsession over "professionals". Kaz had the balance way better in the PS1/PS2 days. GT5 was good, just a bit broken, but the turning point overall for Kaz becoming crazy Kaz.

GT6 just scraped into the 80's for MC. I expect this in the 70's. No, MC is not the end all and be all, but it's still a reflection of how something like GT falls down the ranks and pretty graphics and tight physics aren't enough to save the overall package. However, sure, in the minds of some where that's all that matters it's good enough, and that is fine.

Even with PD nailing their usual driving physics, and some gorgeous graphics, Sport is going content-lite and the reviews, IMO, will crucify it for that. Not to mention nuking SP and leaving it as some shell of what GT used to be. Finally coupled with the mind-blogging length of dev cycle.

GT6 just scraped into the 80's for MC. I expect this in the 70's. No, MC is not the end all and be all, but it's still a reflection of how something like GT falls down the ranks and pretty graphics and tight physics aren't enough to save the overall package. However, sure, in the minds of some where that's all that matters it's good enough, and that is fine.

How do you know it is content lite? Treats gamers better? What does that even mean? There are 100 + SP events....

Duxxy3

Even with PD nailing their usual driving physics, and some gorgeous graphics, Sport is going content-lite and the reviews, IMO, will crucify it for that. Not to mention nuking SP and leaving it as some shell of what GT used to be. Finally, that coupled with the mind-blogging length of dev cycle. There is the "shhh, franchise that will not be named", that just treats gamers better than GT and it's obsession over "professionals".

Wait, what? Is single player no longer the focus?

Audioboxer

How do you know it is content lite?

Cars/tracks and content being taken out that was in 5/6. The "it's not really 7, it's Sport!" doesn't pass in my books. Not with the dev cycle length between 6 and Sport.

Wait, what? Is single player no longer the focus?

Nah, we're being thrown some barebones challenge screen from the looks of it.

They already did that before, so.

Oh, dear.

Let's not forget the timing. This is coming out (if it does) about 2 weeks after FM7. If that one nails it, GTS is even more fucked Metacritic wise.

It's fucked MC wise anyway, but yes, lingering feelings in reviewers heads are not going to help Sport.

Kaz and PD are car museum connoisseurs. Brilliant professionals, and probably some of the smartest car folk around. While GT still makes bank, they are unfortunately continuing to do damage to the franchise with all this mismanagement/unfocused vision.

Even with PD nailing their usual driving physics, and some gorgeous graphics, Sport is going content-lite and the reviews, IMO, will crucify it for that. Not to mention nuking SP and leaving it as some shell of what GT used to be. Finally, that coupled with the mind-blogging length of dev cycle. There is the "shhh, franchise that will not be named", that just treats gamers better than GT and it's obsession over "professionals". Kaz had the balance way better in the PS1/PS2 days. GT5 was good, just a bit broken, but the turning point overall for Kaz becoming crazy Kaz.

Meh I would just wait for more updates...You don't have any idea of the changes to campaign mode, how MP is weaved into the game, and generally how it's going to be received. Casual players might love just messing around with Scapes or something.

I think it's gonna sell/review well personally, especially if they beef up the campaign.

Audioboxer

Meh I would just wait for more updates...You don't have any idea of the changes to campaign mode, how MP is weaved into the game, and generally how it's going to be received. Casual players might love just messing around with Scapes or something.

I think it's gonna sell/review well personally, especially if they beef up the campaign.

GT will always sell well, largely thanks to the powerhouse legacy of GT1~4. Props to PD for that. However, recent times for GT and PD have been testing and critically and even sales wise they have been on the decline.

I'm just completely unconvinced GT Sport is going to change that considering GT6 came out in 2013. 4 years later we're seemingly getting something that's equivalent to the first racing game a studio has ever released, content wise. They can say the 7 was dropped due to "rebranding/refocus", but I think it's more a case of project mismanagement and Kaz's focus being all over the place. PD need a project lead/manager to reign Kaz in.

Sony doesn't do much because yes, GT still makes bank, and Kaz has so much respect shrouding him for being an absolute car genius and probably one of the most important people of the PS1/PS2 era. Competition gets better though, GT is finding that out.

So if you had to choose the 3 remaining ones, which ones would you pick from this list:

Red Bull Ring
La Sarthe
Silverstone
Spa-Francorchamps
Laguna Seca
Seattle
Trial Mountain
Deep Forest
Grand Valley

Well, a GT w/o Grand Valley or Trial Mountain is like Trump without Twitter, so there's that. From those left, the answer for the 3rd one should be obvious.

thiscoldblack

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, they should totally make PSVR owners check the back of every box to search out games that offer support. Great idea!

While we're at it, let's put this on the front cover as well.

Let's not make fans of online multiplayer games check the back of every box.

yjF2bMC.png

Gestault

So as much as "more is better" with something like car selection, 175+ cars is still totally solid in terms of the number of vehicles people are likely to actually use, and decent even for collection/completion's sake.

I VASTLY prefer a trimmed down selection now that it means quality consistency. GT5/6 had some real nonsense with limitations for tuning/camera views and jarring visual quality differences on legacy cars, which were half those game's car content. They're listening to a lot of feedback.

Top Bottom