• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo SPORT | OT | Putting it all on the line

Wait, we can't even open our local My Library files when servers are down? This is madness. They're just scapes and replays on our local consoles, wtf is Polyphony blocking us on that?

farisr

Wait, we can't even open our local My Library files when servers are down? This is madness. They're just scapes and replays on our local consoles, wtf is Polyphony blocking us on that?
You're gonna tamper with the replays to fool FIA into thinking you deserve a license obviously.

This whole online only crap is some straight up bullshit.
Its an arrow in the knee of a fantastic racer.

Audi R8 WRT sunset time trial at Bathurst is just pure joy. Therapy even.

For all its faults I think this game is a masterpiece. Once the flow kicks in there's noting else like it. Gran Turismo finds this perfect balance between feeling perfectly planted and fluid at the same time. Probably helps that its also drop dead gorgeous in the right conditions. Yeah, I'm smitten. This is some good shit.

And for some strange reason this is the only racing game where I've really enjoyed the Audi R8. Maybe its just tuned here better out of the gate so it doesn't feel so understeery?

GHG

Gold Member

Audio R8 WMT sunset time trial at Bathurst is just pure joy. Therapy even.

For all its faults I think this game is a masterpiece. Once the flow kicks in there's noting else like it. Gran Turismo finds this perfect balance between feeling perfectly planted and fluid at the same time. Probably helps that its also drop dead gorgeous in the right conditions. Yeah, I'm smitten. This is some good shit.

And for some strange reason this is the only racing game where I've really enjoyed the Audi R8. Maybe its just tuned here better out of the gate so it doesn't feel so understeery?

The only R8 in this game is the GT3 version which is RWD.

You're gonna tamper with the replays to fool FIA into thinking you deserve a license obviously.

I don’t think it’s that.

Having played since launch, I think Polyphony want everything you do in the game to be uploaded and shared with the community, and transferable between all race modes. So liveries, decals, race configurations, car setups, all shared in the “discover” section and all usable across arcade, sport mode, and lobby mode.

It looks like it may be Driveclub done properly.

FeD.nL

So I should just stick to being one of the last to cross the finish line until my SR increases... I’ll give it a try. It really sucks that this is even a thing.

One other tip. Don’t drive out immediately when you load into the game. Wait a bit and let most of the other drivers ride out first. Just look who crash/go off track in their outlap and remember their names. If you’re near them just take a different line into the first corner because you know they’ll probably crash.

I’ve basically been getting good results and have gone from D -> A SR that way.

Gunharp

There isn't one, but there's other hints on when to brake.

Im not sure of the line but they have a cone option. It gives you a good reference point of where to brake and where the turn in points are

Thanks, this is a bummer :(

I'm so used to it from previous GT titles and the other racing games I play. Braking line really helps my ability to switch between cars and tracks but still drive fast.

I don't think it's that.

Having played since launch, I think Polyphony want everything you do in the game to be uploaded and shared with the community, and transferable between all race modes. So liveries, decals, race configurations, car setups, all shared in the ”discover" section and all usable across arcade, sport mode, and lobby mode.

Whether you've shared a replay or scape has no bearing on the local files stored on your drive. To not be able to access that local content is just straight BS.

From a wider pragmatic view, to not have something like Scapes available for players to dick around in while the races are offline (to avoid us grabbing the pitchforks like we are now) was just really shortsighted of them.

Thanks, this is a bummer :(

I'm so used to it from previous GT titles and the other racing games I play. Braking line really helps my ability to switch between cars and tracks but still drive fast.

It's really a crutch though, as you're not really learning the track and not learning when and how to brake, but just learning to follow a line. You can't respond as well to changing conditions on the track if you're just waiting for a UI element to tell you what to do.

Duallusion

So I sat down to continue on my way through the challenges and... I can't do squat.

To reiterate: this trully is some straight up buuullshit.

Crayon

It's really a crutch though, as you're not really learning the track and not learning when and how to brake, but just learning to follow a line. You can't respond as well to changing conditions on the track if you're just waiting for a UI element to tell you what to do.

That's pretty much it. The racing line is backwards.

Look fo physical markers to brake at. That helps make you consistent as you experiment with different points.

onanie

One other tip. Don’t drive out immediately when you load into the game. Wait a bit and let most of the other drivers ride out first. Just look who crash/go off track in their outlap and remember their names. If you’re near them just take a different line into the first corner because you know they’ll probably crash.

I’ve basically been getting good results and have gone from D -> A SR that way.
I’ll try that. Gonna spy/spectate on them in the outlap

Crayon

I'm guessing 90% of reviews judge the game based on what it's not instead of what it delivers.

I think there have been some like that, but many or most have seemed to me to give it a fair shake and didn't feel it was that good. I'm not really surprised. It's in an essentially early state, and frankly... It's pretty hard.

When you compare it to a past GT or a Forza. It's pretty demanding and that can really dampen people's enjoyment. That's a factor that I'm not seeing talked about too much.

Whether you've shared a replay or scape has no bearing on the local files stored on your drive. To not be able to access that local content is just straight BS.

From a wider pragmatic view, to not have something like Scapes available for players to dick around in while the races are offline (to avoid us grabbing the pitchforks like we are now) was just really shortsighted of them.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s a weird as fuck thing to do, but I don’t think we can blame the FIA.

I think it’s more a concept of Polyphony’s making where the whole experience is unified behind an activity feed that gives you credits and experience for everything you do, and a discover portal where you share it.

We kind of saw this with Driveclub, and how fucked up it can get to maintain a shared experience.

benzy

pretty much. What's wrong with an offline save that requires verification if you want to go online for multiplayer?

Audio R8 WRT sunset time trial at Bathurst is just pure joy. Therapy even.

Yeah, enjoying the game otherwise, that is whenever I can actually play the damn single player modes outside of arcade without getting interrupted. We can't even use scapes or buy a car when the game is offline wtf.

If it wasn't for the game looking so damn good and highly polished I would have quit it by now. All that's needed to be perfect is turn off the always online shit, and have steady content updates

lSlm0Wa.gif

Arex

They should definitely enable offline play for parts of the game that does not directly affect the online portion. Not sure what they're thinking locking scapes and livery editor to online lol

Gunharp

That's pretty much it. The racing line is backwards.
Look fo physical markers to brake at. That helps make you consistent as you experiment with different points.

Oh trust me I get it and mostly agree, but the time I have available to invest into a car + track is not as much as these days. To not implement the suggested brake line only sucks for me. I mean they went as far as to have that stupid yellow full racing line? Or at least its there in the demo.

I didn't platinum GT5 using it the whole damn time. It's a great feeling to when after lap after lap in the same car you realize where the suggested lines were weak and turn it off. But then when you go from spec miata racing to the redbull x1 challenge or whatever, its a nice handicap to be able to turn on again.

Don't get me wrong, it's a weird as fuck thing to do, but I don't think we can blame the FIA.

I think it's more a concept of Polyphony's making where the whole experience is unified behind an activity feed that gives you credits and experience for everything you do, and a discover portal where you share it.

We kind of saw this with Driveclub, and how fucked up it can get to maintain a shared experience.

Yeah, no I get that and get their concept. But if they want to lean on that activity feed that heavily, they should separate the races from the content feed and achievement/money stuff into separate servers (and probably separate save data), so that fixing gameplay issues doesn't take down every feature of the game.

Should have ended right about now, not an hour ago.

- Maintenance period
20 October, 2017: 22:00 – 24:00 PDT
*The hours of maintenance may vary.

It was originally a one hour window, they silently changed it to two at some point. I'm guessing whatever broke the qualifying times is causing them more problems than they anticipated.

Ardenyal

The physical cone markers already have braking points for reference. Double cone = braking point, single cone = turn in, apex, exit.

No double cones for very short braking distances or lifting off the throttle though so you need to have a feel for the corner anyways.

Zaki2407

Ahh... I remember there is a time when I can buy a Gran Turismo game, put the CD into the system, watch the amazing opening intro and finally playing the game without any worries.......

Yeah..online only sucks

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Servers back up and

WOOOOO it uploaded all the times I got in campaign mode that didn't upload all day retroactively!

So not all is lost and the problem fixed :)

Does anyone have a link to the Google doc handy? I need to add more people, only one other person in my list has completed campaign stuff :( I need/want the challenge!

Add me if you want, too: SmileyFM. Driving school all gold, halfway through campaign all gold

Are maintenance really this inconvenient? Second time I try to play the game and turns out there'd be a maintainance in the middle of it. Why is it at 6PM? Does it depend on the account's region?

razu

Biggest tip I can give anyone when in C or lower is to go tighter on your lines rather than the racing line. Don't give people the opportunity to be dicks. When you do this they will usually take themselves out as they can't race without using others. Only took me two races to get out of C. Still do it now in B on the last lap as it will often happen then.

I was S!

Are maintenance really this inconvenient? Second time I try to play the game and turns out there'd be a maintainance in the middle of it. Why is it at 6PM? Does it depend on the account's region?

it shouldn't be. Should also be a rule that unless totally necessary, don't do maintenance during the weekends or Friday nights.

Ardenyal

Played some arcade races during maintenance. I really like how in a close battle the AI picks a line on the outside or inside and actually adheres to it. Makes for some nice races once you have a good read on what the AI is doing.

edit:

The AI bmw defended inside line on entry and left the door open on outside for a pass. Love how the AI is not glued on rails this time.

Top Bottom