• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo Sport Previews

Fredrik

A camera can't capture what the driver sees. Your eyes can move up while the head is moving down for example, your brain is doing its best to stabilize the picture.

https://amp.reddit.com/r/askscience/comments/30w1hk/how_do_our_eyesbrain_do_image_stabilization/
What so you think the cockpit view should be completely stable? That would be some serious Amiga 500 Test Drive type of "immersion".
Nah, camera shake is a must to replicate racing a fast car, everybody does it today, some devs more than others though.

Just look at this Shift 2 video. No other racing game capture the wildness and sense of speed of driving these types of beastly cars as well. The shake, the acceleration motion from being pushed back into the seat, the tunnel vision, it's all so so good imo :)
https://youtu.be/QzHn9D5aOQE

farisr

What so you think the cockpit view should be completely stable? That would be some serious Amiga 500 Test Drive type of "immersion".
Nah, camera shake is a must to replicate racing a fast car, everybody does it today, some devs more than others though.

Just look at this Shift 2 video. No other racing game capture the wildness and sense of speed of driving these types of beastly cars as well. The shake, the acceleration motion from being pushed back into the seat, the tunnel vision, it's all so so good imo :)
That honestly looks horrible and unrealistic compared to what actual human eyes see. No thanks. And nobody is saying it should be completely stable. Just that it shouldn't be like NFS Shift which is way too exaggerated and honestly looks comical in some instances. The kinds of movements it's showing with what's supposed to be what the driver sees, especially in the parts where it's accelerating, would only happen at far greater rates of acceleration. That almost looks like the driver is purposely bent forward and close to the steering wheel and then is being pushed back a great distance to the headrest everytime he accelerates for a bit. Drivers don't sit like that. Their heads don't move nearly that much, nor do their fields of view greatly get effected with that kind of acceleration.

Sebmugi

Stickers paradise..

1504772657-djeqry7vaaaqwf4-jpg-large.jpg

from Gtplanet

1504772840-21318828-10155523779681590-118613842332217958-o.png

1504772840-21273295-10155523779736590-5838586012736940045-o.jpg

1504772840-21415002-10155523779726590-86378515640672464-o.jpg

1504772842-di-hkvnueaeqwb1.jpg

1504772844-di-hkvnvwaiejid.jpg

1504772906-di-hkvnvyaapw0.jpg

Sayad

That capture the wildness and sense of speed you'd see from a cam on a driver's helmet not actually being in the car, and even then that's too exaggerated and not fit for a driving sim, one's vision doesn't zoom in and out from acceleration/deceleration. ;p

Fredrik

That honestly looks horrible and unrealistic compared to what actual human eyes see. No thanks. And nobody is saying it should be completely stable. Just that it shouldn't be like NFS Shift which is way too exaggerated and honestly looks comical in some instances. The kinds of movements it's showing with what's supposed to be what the driver sees, especially in the parts where it's accelerating, would only happen at far greater rates of acceleration. That almost looks like the driver is purposely bent forward and close to the steering wheel and then is being pushed back a great distance to the headrest everytime he accelerates for a bit. Drivers don't sit like that. Their heads don't move nearly that much, nor do their fields of view greatly get effected with that kind of acceleration.
To each their own I guess... I think it looks awesome and while the acceleration movement might be exaggerated it still makes me feel the sensation of both speed and acceleration sooo much more. The vibrations and force from acceleration can't be felt any other way unless you have something like this...
https://youtu.be/zNUBZfrOXUc
https://youtu.be/bLQM-arAxdg
...which is why I think it's super important to visually try to capture these motions somehow when the physical movements aren't there.

I just learned that you can change the camera shake in Project Cars 2, maybe that's the deal with GTS too considering this trailer?
https://youtu.be/eS_u4lK0czc

Rellik

Did you actually play it? Because no game since has matched the feel of Shift 2 inside the car.

eoa-swam

Honestly might cancel my preorder after seeing this "campaign" shit. Played an assload of GT5 and 6 (my favorite racers of that gen) and barely ever touched the online mode, and the few times I did were never actually fun.

Also, holy jesus, if you send a guy out to market your game, make sure he doesn't sound like he just woke up when showing it off. I don't need you to be Markiplier, but, at least put some energy in there.

It's pretty, though, and, I'll probably still buy it, but, this video bummed me out.

I agree, that marketing guy was the most unenthusiastic person I've ever heard. Send someone out with a bit of oomph.

Gaenor

Banned
That could happen because you're looking at a real picture. Only the car is rendered. Same for the rest of pics.

What I think he meant was that he thought the car was real on that particular picture. I would have believed it was a photo of a real car if it wasn't for the GT watered logo.

The same can't be said about the Corvette picture though.

farisr

Did you actually play it? Because no game since has matched the feel of Shift 2 inside the car.
I played it for an hour or so when it came out on PS+. And yeah, I'd hope most games aiming to be sim-like didn't bother trying to match the feel of Shift 2 due to it being unrealistic so I believe this statement. The feel it goes for is more suited for arcade racers than games aiming to provide a realistic experience.

thelastword

Banned
Dumb's Pics

1505474630-main-2.jpg

Amazing, everybody likes to see that Civic, but the headlights and general lighting in this pic is amazing. Really depicts night racing appropriately

1505474634-main-3.jpg

I can see PD put some people in the buildings to give some impression of life in those buildings, with some spot lights in there as well, to make it look more real. it's something I've been asking for...I want to see it go further next gen though, get those people actually moving and better animated. Really awesome work for the improvements shown here...Day1 for me of course...PD is really finetuning and polishing everything. They said this is the most time they had to polish a title and it's definitely showing...We now have sparks et al.

If it was tearing it would be across the whole screen and not just the Audi windshield and right mirror.

Plus it's kind of distorted and not just a straight cut... but only seems to happen in that long rectangle. Maybe a glitch in their displacement map or something.

thelastword

Banned
Is that heat haze over the Audi windscreen and mirror? I know it's not tearing, but looks kind of odd.

The way they have apparently got shadows working cast by each car's lights is great.

It looks like some sort of distortion effect.....

That Dumb video however....it's a low quality vid for sure, but Tokyo and Willow Springs look so good...If these guys show me trial mountain and deep forest anytime soon.....Tears....Two of my favorite tracks by far...Would love to see them redone in GTS...

Sardegna looks like it will be alot of fun.........

riverfr0zen

Neo Member
Not sure if this was already confirmed here yet, but it looks like Nürburgring will be a PSVR track. In this Reddit discussion about this preview article, someone asks:

It makes no mention of the Nordschleife. So is it only the GP track or is the classic green hell included as well... I still don't know.

To which user sushiflash responds:

Scroll down to the VR part of the article. The photo is clearly from PSVR and it clearly shows the Karussell.

This is the photo from the preview article that they are referencing:

xvr_tour_01-1024x576.jpg.pagespeed.ic.mTO7g7Ieax.webp

magawolaz

Some retailers show 19 tracks on fliers/ads/etc., is there a chance there's still two tracks yet to unveil?
Also European's PlayStation websites show 32 players online, I tweeted @yosp twice asking if it was a typo but still no reply.

(Official GT website says 17 tracks and 24 players, so in the meantime I'm going with that)

Sebmugi

Nice Yiazmat ^^ I hope tomorrow morning (for us, French), I feel we are going to be amazed the full view with the official new trailer of the GT sport ... I pray for there to be one :bowdown:

VR gif
Me9ylpF.gif

Wow. They nailed the shaders. The materials from the speckles in the paint finish on both the body and wheels and reflections look so realistic

benzy

I thought there isn't weather in this game?

It was confirmed a while ago. They also showed snippets of fog weather in the e3 trailer, plus a journalist invited to a recent preview build said rain is confirmed. The whole reasoning for removing dynamic weather was to do static weather with improved visuals and performance.

https://www.vrnerds.de/playstation-vr-gran-turismo-sport-in-der-preview/

Als wir mit voller Geschwindigkeit gegen die Streckenbegrenzugn fuhren, verengten sich die Ränder des Sichtfeldes.

Quick translation: When driving at full speed the edges of our FOV narrowed.

That better be optional. Eagle Flights narrowed vision wasn't optional and I stopped playing the game because of that and would happily send GT Sport back if it isn't optional.

For the love of Kaz, they need to show gameplay with weather. It's the last big gaming event before release.
I wouldn't be surprised if it's a post launch patch like DC. I actually wouldn't be surprised of they leave it out entirely. :/

This is still my most anticipated racing title though.
Edit:
The GIFs look amazing! Can't wait for the new Info and trailers.

Top Bottom