• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo Sport Previews

Skinpop

GT Sport |OT| This maybe could not be but possibly is GT7
As long you are connected online, Campaign mode missions, time trials, arcade mode. If you're planning on playing completely offline though, then things get more limited apparently "portions of the Arcade Mode, including limited two-player split screen, single player races on select tracks and time trials can still be played offline.".

I want a beefy career mode, guess I'm out of luck then.

anything in this game for people without ps+?
Yes. But realistically, you need PS+. This is intended as an online racing game (the "Sport" in the title), so if you're buying it without PS+ I suspect you're wasting your time and money, and you're destined for disappointment.

Niks

I might, if I get time this weekend/next week. I think the GT6 one turned out well enough?

Edit: Title suggestions?

Yeah go for it.

As for titles.. some ideas

GT Sport OT - eSports edition
GT Sport OT - competitive online racing
GT Sport OT - This is sport
GT Sport OT - Driving is for everyone
GT Sport OT - The real eSports simulation
GT Sport OT - GT7 Prologue

Makikou

Yeah go for it.

It's supposed to be written as "Esports" in this day and age, fyi.

Fukuzatsu

GT Sport |OT| This maybe could not be but possibly is GT7
PS+ is only required for multiplayer races so as long you are connected online, Campaign mode missions, time trials, arcade mode. If you're planning on playing completely offline though, then your options reduce apparently "portions of the Arcade Mode, including limited two-player split screen, single player races on select tracks and time trials can still be played offline.".

I wonder if you can still just do campaign mode with PS Plus (but online), since I would assume the 'campaign' still isn't multiplayer.

I guess the most awful part of even that is making a single-player mode impossible to play after the eventual server shutdown.

I honestly can't think of a good OT title that isn't disparaging. There aren't really any new features in the game, apart from the online reputation/matching systems, it's mostly stuff that's been cut.

Gran Turismo Sport |OT| Gran Turismo Heaven
Gran Turismo Sport |OT| The Skylines are coming

I wonder if you can still just do campaign mode with PS Plus (but online), since I would assume the 'campaign' still isn't multiplayer.
It's not really a campaign, it's basically just the old licence tests. Anyone buying this game for SP is in for a very rude awakening.

Nightfall

Yeah go for it.

GT Sport |OT| Be a good sport about the missing 7

I honestly can't think of a good OT title that isn't disparaging. There aren't really any new features in the game, apart from the online reputation/matching systems, it's mostly stuff that's been cut.

Gran Turismo Sport |OT| Gran Turismo Heaven
Gran Turismo Sport |OT| The Skylines are coming

It's not really a campaign, it's basically just the old licence tests. Anyone buying this game for SP is in for a very rude awakening.

How much is charging for this game in NA? Should it be sold as a full price game when light on content?

farisr

How much is charging for this game in NA? Should it be sold as a full price game when light on content?
Should they be? I don't think so.

But either way it's gonna sell a shitton at launch and they know it, so they're getting away with it for now at least.

They're likely in for a backlash though, especially with their recent PR trying to act like the offline content in this game is on par or better than previous mainline entries.

Sales legs are going to be interesting, I'm expecting it to not review too well in comparison to its competitors and for the word of mouth to be pretty bad amongst the casuals.

This game would be in a different position if they had released a GT6 port earlier on in the gen, but yeah, first GT game for this gen coming out nearly 4 years after the launch of the console is missing the flagship mode that millions of fans liked to play... yeah...

I think reviewers are going to rip this apart. Could be a wake up call for PD.

Full price in Australia.

m65c.jpeg

It has more SP content than Overwatch.

I'm curious as to what sense of progression there'll be with the online racing. In every previous GT game there was a definite feeling of progression; there was always the carrot you were chasing (either money or cars) while playing the game. I'm not sure how the online mode is structured in that sense.

My other concern is what the quality of online racing will be in my country (Australia), i.e. whether there will be local servers or decent ping-based matchmaking.

farisr

It has more SP content than Overwatch.

I'm curious as to what sense of progression there'll be with the online racing. In every previous GT game there was a definite feeling of progression; there was always the carrot you were chasing (either money or cars) while playing the game. I'm not sure how the online mode is structured in that sense.
They have some daily progression stuff that provides incentive for you to come back every day and race or do time trials etc for a while, that gets you a new car once you reach the goal. And apparently there is an upgrade system tied to how much you drive a particular car (rather than individual parts to purchase with money).

So they have systems in place or planned/tested them out during the beta. What makes it in the final release is anyone's guess.

Fredrik

I think reviewers are going to rip this apart. Could be a wake up call for PD.
Nah I highly doubt that will happen, the IP is too big and popular, reviewers either won't dare to do it or are among the new fans of the serie which will defend the changes just like here because online is the future or whatever. Forza just got a 6/10 on PC because of microstuttering. Do you think that would happen to a GT? Lol no GT is just too big, at the least we'll see 7/10s and those reviewers will get slammed for it, the smaller outlets might do it for clicks but I think all the big outlets will rate it 8/10 or 9/10 and it'll end up at 81-86 on metacritic.
*Puts down the crystal ball* ;)

Seriously, I think it's the old fans who are going to wake PD up, those that loved the old SP campaign, and I think they'll be a surprisingly big group of people, possibly big enough to break through the wall of hype regarding the graphics, but we'll see about that.

Putty

Im old school GT, but after the beta i'm fully on board with the who FIA online thng...The driving is simply sublime...those visuals, that sheen, those menu's...BRING IT!

GT Sport |OT| GT7 Prologue.
GT Sport |OT| If we wait until we're ready, we'll be waiting for the rest of our lives.
GT Sport |OT| Outsourcing the career mode to the players.
GT Sport |OT| Bring your own career.
GT Sport |OT| Bringing law and order to the online world.

Sebmugi

https://youtu.be/T0cIdYT0yn8?t=68

by watching the video we can understand the operation of the arcade mode ... in fact one wins races and one receives money and Exp ..
the money is likely to buy (among other) cars and exp to unlock circuits .. it's a mini solo mode actually ..

1506669720-screenshot-2017-9-29-gt-sport-l-avant-premiere-en-exclu-version-complete-youtube-2.png

1506669741-screenshot-2017-9-29-gt-sport-l-avant-premiere-en-exclu-version-complete-youtube.png

1506669742-screenshot-2017-9-29-gt-sport-l-avant-premiere-en-exclu-version-complete-youtube-1.png

I like these two proposals:

GT Sport OT - Gran Turismo 7 to 77

farisr

https://youtu.be/T0cIdYT0yn8?t=68

by watching the video we can understand the operation of the arcade mode ... in fact one wins races and one receives money and Exp ..
the money is likely to buy (among other) cars and exp to unlock circuits .. it's a mini solo mode actually ..
I believe they said you earn credits and exp in all modes now (and perhaps this is the feature that gets limited in arcade mode if you're not connected online).

I can't recall about other entries because I barely touched the arcade mode in those if ever, but I remember GT1 had progression as well where you had to win races in arcade mode to unlock manufacturers and circuits, progression was separate from simulation mode/career.

bombshell

Aren't they basically just like the old photo travel locations (or whatever their wanky name was)?

Not really, those were rendered in the game engine.

Scapes are real life photos enhanced with spatial information so that cars can be placed realistically into the photo and also drive around in the environment of the photo.

Not really, those were rendered in the game engine.

Scapes are real life photos enhanced with spatial information so that cars can be placed realistically into the photo and also drive around in the environment of the photo.
OK. Seems like practically the same thing to me!

eso76

Gran Turismo Sport [OT] Visions of GT7

Gran Turismo Sport [OT] Visions of Career Mode

The Real Photography Simulator

That gif from the final build is gorgeous. Comparisons with the beta ?

Audioboxer

Considering the Forza Title

Forza 7 |OT| The 7 you've been waiting for!

Gran Turismo Sport |OT| The 7 you've not been waiting for!

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

eso76

it is not exactly the same angles of views and TOD but one can see that the details in the decors are radically different

gudzIuc.gif

rEHdh5i.gif

holy shit, the difference is huge.
I don't think we can expect a similar upgrade across all tracks, but damn.

Not sure why GTS will get "bad" reviews. Sure the lack of a proper simulation mode/campaign will deduct a few points but it is far superior than the previous GT games.

And if the beta is any indication, it is much more fun than the tedious grind.

Top Bottom