• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Granblue Fantasy Relink’s Development Is Going Smoothly; Director Discuses Announcement Timing

Mista

Banned
Granblue-Fantasy-Relink-5.jpg

Today Cygames published a sizable message from Granblue Fantasy director Tetsuya Fukuhara, and it included relevant information on Granblue Fantasy Relink.

Fukuhara-san mentions that he’s aware that fans may have worried during the past year, but development is going smoothly.

While the team is looking forward to the release, it’s still a bit ahead, and Fukuhara-san hopes that we can wait a while longer for more detailed reveals.

Since it would be confusing for many if promotion is done at the same time as Granblue Fantasy Versus, the company strategy will be to focus on promoting Versus and then its DLC for the time being.

The way information flows and the consumption of content are speeding up considerably. In the past games were announced a year or two before release, but recently they are revealed four to six months before launch with pre-orders already available.

Given that, Fukuhara-san believes that even Granblue Fantasy Versus was announced a bit too early.

Yet, the situation with Granblue Fantasy is a bit peculiar, so there may be no correct answer. The mobile game keeps on running with multiple info broadcasts a year and new scenarios releasing monthly. This kind of pace is not common in the industry.

In the case of Granblue Fantasy Versus, it was significant to announce it at Granblue Fantasy Fes 2018, as that’s the biggest event dedicated to the IP, but it created a sizable wait, so that’s still an issue.

Relink’s announcement was early, even if it was done at a company-wide presentation of new games called Cygames NEXT. That caused a long wait for the fans and Fukuhara-san doesn’t believe that’s good.

He goes on by mentioning that Cygames and in particular the Granblue Fantasy team have always been challengers. The original game started by subverting the common ideas of implementing rich animations and audio in a browser-based game. That attitude has not changed, so he hopes fans will look forward to what Relink will become.

The development team at Cygames Osaka has been expanding since last year, and it includes a number of well-known and veteran lead-level developers.

Lastly, Fukuhara-san mentions that he sometimes sees people saying that Cygames is having trouble filling the ranks of the team because they keep hiring. That’s not the case.

Quite simply, the manpower required increases exponentially as development goes on, so it’s normal to keep recruiting new staff even late in the development cycle, so fans shouldn’t worry about this

sublimit

Banned
I'm starting to think they announced this game way too early. Same with Project Awakening.

I hope in the future they wait a bit longer before they show their games.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Wasn't Versus scheduled to release last year? I don't get his statements of "Versus was announced too early". I mean if that was the case why is it still releasing next month? Can't they wait and have a better base roster rather than "focusing on DLC news" which is weird since the first 4 of the new arrivals have been announced already. I'm still uneasy about Relink...but what can I do besides play Azur Lane GBF on my phone.

I'm starting to think they announced this game way too early. Same with Project Awakening.

Relink was announced in 2016.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Wasn't Versus scheduled to release last year? I don't get his statements of "Versus was announced too early". I mean if that was the case why is it still releasing next month? Can't they wait and have a better base roster rather than "focusing on DLC news" which is weird since the first 4 of the new arrivals have been announced already. I'm still uneasy about Relink...but what can I do besides play Azur Lane GBF on my phone.

You're completely misinterpreting what Fukuhara-san means. He doesn't at all mean that the roster is too small and they need more time.

He means that in today's industry with announcements made 6 months before release and pre-orders ready to go, announcing over a year before release leads to arguably too much waiting for the user.

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
Nah i'm pretty sure they announced the game and showed the very first trailer (not the one with the girl walking in the village) much earlier than that.

Edit:You are right.It was August 2016.For some reason to me it feels even longer than that. :/ But i'm glad they are taking their time.

Last edited:

Pejo

I just hope it's got a large cast when it's done, so far neither GBF console games have any of my favorites in them. Also, I know the demo was just a demo, but it looks way too easy right now too.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum

At least with Relink we are seeing gameplay, but game like Project Re Fantasy we see nothing more than concept art.

Last edited:

Danjin44

Yeah i wonder what's going on with that. :/
Studio Zero should have started on development on that game after they finished Catherine Full Body. They left P-studio so they no longer in charge Persona series and SMTV is being developed by SMTIV team so Studio Zero should have nothing to work on with other than Project Re Fantasy.

sublimit

Banned
Studio Zero should have started on development on that game after they finished Catherine Full Body. They left P-studio so they no longer in charge Persona series and SMTV is being developed by SMTIV team so Studio Zero should have nothing to work on with other than Project Re Fantasy.
Does anyone knows how big that studio is? I assume they are a much smaller group than the Persona studio. And from what they have been saying about the project it sounds like a very ambitious game.

Last edited:

Danjin44

Does anyone knows how big that studio is? I assume they are a much smaller group than the Persona studio. And from what they have been saying about the project it sounds like a very ambitious game.
I don't how big it is but I know most of the core team from P-studio moved to Studio Zero.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
I would love if Granblue Fantasy Relink and Lost Soul Aside were cross gen launch titles for the PS5

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I feel like there's zero hype for Versus, the Arc Systems fighting game coming out next month. Its crazy how this series has a lot going for it, but the crickets couldn't chirp any louder at this point.

Danjin44

I feel like there's zero hype for Versus, the Arc Systems fighting game coming out next month. Its crazy how this series has a lot going for it, but the crickets couldn't chirp any louder at this point.
Versus looks great but when you show off this epic RPG first most people going hype for that instead of a fighting game.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Versus looks great but when you show off this epic RPG first most people going hype for that instead of a fighting game.
Yeah the large, more robust game looks better. I’m a stickler for Arc System though. Are you going to be getting Versus when it comes out?

Danjin44

Yeah the large, more robust game looks better. I’m a stickler for Arc System though. Are you going to be getting Versus when it comes out?
I'm usually not in to playing fighting games but I heard the single player has lots of RPG elements so I might enjoy this game like I did with first two Dissidia games on PSP.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Granblue_Fantasy_Versus

Unlike the main fighting game mode, the story mode will be more of a side-scrolling, beat-'em up, action role-playing game
Holly sh**t!!! Yeah I'm officially hype for Versus as well!!!

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
I don't know why people keep thinking this game has development issues. They are showing more gameplay footage than most games in long development and so far everything looked great.
Exactly. If they were silent then I’d say yes, it’s clearly having development issues.

Danjin44

Most likely because it's been in development forever and had platinum fired from it.
FFVIIRemake has been in development even longer and even tho its close to release date I have seen more proper gameplay from Relink than FFVIIRemake, also in their interview they said they have kept everything PG worked on and most important part is everything they showed so far from Relink looked pretty damn good.

Top Bottom