• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

CamHostage

I don't know, I think you all get too worked up about what you think is going on in a game. It's got a lot of the same issues it always had (the giant landscape actually has way more vegetation than it did in the early video, but it also has some of the angle issues and replication that putting vegetation on a big field from certain angles can bring,) and it's got some welcomed improvements over previous showings (the character models are looking really nice IMO, same for up-close animals.) This trailer being mostly third-person camera views also doesn't play to its strengths, as it was designed to have detail intimately stand out in first-person play.

Massive has got some great tech here, also some aging tech/techniques which is a shame they didn't find a replacement for (their overly-simplistic glass shatter effect, for example, breaks the reality of explosions, much like the flat and framey billboard splash effects in Spider-Man 2 damage the reality of its otherwise pretty snazzy water sim.) You give and you get.

Last edited:

Robbinhood

Banned

I don't know, I think you all get too worked up about what you think is going on in a game. It's got a lot of the same issues it always had (the giant landscape actually has way more vegetation than it did in the early video, but it also has some of the angle issues and replication that putting vegetation on a big field from certain angles can bring,) and it's got some improvements over previous showings (the character models are looking really nice IMO.)

Direct feed definitely looks better than the live stream, I think it looks really nice. Does it look better than Horizon FW? I need to play it to find out, its not apparent atm.

SolidQ

It's PS4?
b0f1326f04d0b13a25770a1aa28250ad.jpg

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Avatar downgrade. 2 weeks after the PC trailer. This is what I get for mocking ChiefDada. God does exist and he likes ChiefDada over me.

Spiderman looks rough at times. And great other times. Some of those city shots while hes just perching on rooftops looked so bad i felt bad for ChiefDada having to defend.

FF7 same thing. Some shots look rough but overall the game looks fucking insane. Im still very disappointed in the character models but this looks like a true goty contender next to Avatar and Spiderman which look better but dont feel as epic.

Spider-Man 2 lookin… a little better…. Seems like you gotta play it in the evening golden hour time setting to get next gen visuals from it. Some stuff is genuinely next gen impressive and I see a glimpse of the team that delivered rift apart. Which wasn’t even like UE5 demo good but good compared to the current market offerings

Avatar looks a little less good every time they show it as they optimize it for release on consoles. It hasn’t gone gold yet so I’m sure it’ll look worse by the time it comes in December on console.

Last edited:
Avatar downgrade. 2 weeks after the PC trailer. This is what I get for mocking ChiefDada. God does exist and he likes ChiefDada over me.

Spiderman looks rough at times. And great other times. Some of those city shots while hes just perching on rooftops looked so bad i felt bad for ChiefDada having to defend.

FF7 same thing. Some shots look rough but overall the game looks fucking insane. Im still very disappointed in the character models but this looks like a true goty contender next to Avatar and Spiderman which look better but dont feel as epic.
Spider-Man 2 May…. Just MAY get enough polish to come out and look occasionally next Gen at times

There was enough in the gameplay that didn’t look like complete dogshit to give me hope. And we’re getting more gameplay Friday morning i think too

Last edited:
Spider-Man 2 lookin… a little better…. Seems like you gotta play it in the evening golden hour time setting to get next gen visuals from it. Some stuff is genuinely next gen impressive and I see a glimpse of the team that delivered rift apart. Which wasn’t even like UE5 demo good but good compared to the current market offerings

Avatar looks a little less good every time they how it as they optimize it for release on consoles. It hasn’t gone gold yet so I’m sure it’ll look worse by the time it comes in December on console.
Agreed. Daytime looks meh but other time looks great.
Short clip from 3:23 to 3:26 Daytime looks better though.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Spidey 2 look all kind of terrible for a sony first party ps5 only game, we need a palate cleanser from sony ASAP.

I'm about to watch avatar but from the post here seems like ubisoft pulled an ubisoft.
It looks worse but it seems its from the 60 fps mode. That would explain the lighting and IQ downgrade. Those fields had more shimmering than DriveClub.

It could also be another case of Starfield getting massively downgraded on XSX and only slightly getting downgraded on PC. The PC footage released two weeks ago still look on par if not better than the PS5 footage released at E3 so there is still hope that this is just their performance mode with standard rasterization instead of RTGI.

Maybe it's PS5 trailer with reducing settings
See above. its from PS5's performance mode. Their quality mode runs at 4k fsr quality so 1440p with RTGI and RT reflections. This looked way worse in both IQ and GI.

We will see.

SlimySnake

This is amazing.
JH7dvJs.gif

This is crazy.
JH7Kfku.gif

The rest its ok.
yeah amazing stuff though i dont remember there being that many trees in brooklyn or queens. Unless that area past the river is New jersey and inaccessible so they just put 2D trees as scenery.

the flying scenes in this game are fucking nuts. Just pure holy shit moments.

Still not buying it. I have to stay strong.

GymWolf

Gold Member
It looks worse but it seems its from the 60 fps mode. That would explain the lighting and IQ downgrade. Those fields had more shimmering than DriveClub.

It could also be another case of Starfield getting massively downgraded on XSX and only slightly getting downgraded on PC. The PC footage released two weeks ago still look on par if not better than the PS5 footage released at E3 so there is still hope that this is just their performance mode with standard rasterization instead of RTGI.

See above. its from PS5's performance mode. Their quality mode runs at 4k fsr quality so 1440p with RTGI and RT reflections. This looked way worse in both IQ and GI.

We will see.
Who cares about the lights, the game looks rough man, if you told me this was a dlc for the ps4 version i would have believed you...except maybe the movement speed.

Watched the avatar trailer, i can see the downgrade but the natural environment still look pretty good, not sure if better than forbidden west tho.

Dios mio what a fucking gen:messenger_expressionless:

Last edited:

Markio128

Gold Member
I’m sure Insomniac are more than capable of producing better visuals, but when you consider that the visuals need to whip by during flight/web slinging, in a dense looking open-world, then it’s difficult not to be impressed. It is in my mind anyway.

alloush

I dunno, if I was someone who worshipped Avatar's visuals months on end, I'd simply stfu after what was presented. I damn sure wouldn't throw dirt on the most next gen looking game we've seen so far (SM2 of course). But hey, that's just me...

Anyways, yeah. Welcome to Next Gen ladies and gentlemen.

qKwjh9J.jpg

Honestly the second to last gif is the one where I said “ok this looks good” when watching the trailer, apart from that the game looked identical to spidey 1.

SlimySnake

Who cares about the lights, the game looks rough man, if you told me this was a dlc for the ps4 version i would have believed you...

Watched the avatar trailer, i can see the downgrade but the natural environment still look pretty good, not sure if better than forbidden west tho.

Dios mio what a fucking gen:messenger_expressionless:
the lighting is just what immediately stuck out to me. im sure vegetation is also paired back in their performance mode, but remember their foliage looks great because of light bounces and going through it. They jokingly called it ray traced foliage and if the performance mode doesnt have it, it will make the foliage look bad even if the foliage density isnt paired back.

the lighting was the only thing that didnt get downgraded in the PC version of starfield so im hoping thats the case with Avatar.

GymWolf

Gold Member
the lighting is just what immediately stuck out to me. im sure vegetation is also paired back in their performance mode, but remember their foliage looks great because of light bounces and going through it. They jokingly called it ray traced foliage and if the performance mode doesnt have it, it will make the foliage look bad even if the foliage density isnt paired back.

the lighting was the only thing that didnt get downgraded in the PC version of starfield so im hoping thats the case with Avatar.
I'm more curious about the ecosystem and destruction they were bragging about, but knowing ubisoft it's gonna be some undercooked, scripted stuff.

GymWolf

Gold Member
I just can't deal with spidey 2 models...

Did this gen really peaked early with horizon when it comes to character rendering in open world games? you can bet your ass that cyberpunk dlc and gta6 are not gonna be remotely as even as FW...if CB and rdr2 are of any indication.

I need to see what bend is cooking, days gone was mighty impressive given all the circumstances.
Witcher 4 with ue5 could be the saviour of the gen.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

If I had to define this gen with one word it would be: polarizing!

Every game this gen is hella polarizing graphically it’s straight up weird.
honestly i thought Horizon was polarizing because of its last gen roots, but it seems even next gen only games have their weaknesses.

After ff16, starfield and now spiderman and avatar, i think its safe to say that Ratchet and Horizon FW deserve more credit. they are far more consistent than these games looking next gen 80% of the time. spiderman is 50-50, starfield and avatar are 60-40, but just not consistent enough.

were there any night shots in the spiderman trailer? game looks best in dusk time lighting but i want to do some comparisons with night time shots and the original reveal trailer.

CamHostage

Still not buying it. I have to stay strong.

Yes, 💪 is truly in saying no to games which are only "fun" and "gorgeous" but not "true next-gen" enough for those who have borne witness to the 100GB of assets in Matrix City Sample...

(You're a weird dude, but takes all kinds I suppose.)

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
honestly i thought Horizon was polarizing because of its last gen roots, but it seems even next gen only games have their weaknesses.

After ff16, starfield and now spiderman and avatar, i think its safe to say that Ratchet and Horizon FW deserve more credit. they are far more consistent than these games looking next gen 80% of the time. spiderman is 50-50, starfield and avatar are 60-40, but just not consistent enough.

were there any night shots in the spiderman trailer? game looks best in dusk time lighting but i want to do some comparisons with night time shots and the original reveal trailer.
50-50 for spidey 2? 60-40 for avatar and starfield

giphy.gif

You really got soft or this consoles really are filthy pieces of horseshit...

You are gonna eat your words when the big dogs are gonna come into play, for now we had B-teams, crossgen and 20 years old engines with a lipstick.

Dude we are FUCKED if starfield is a 60-40...

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Yes, 💪 is truly in saying no to games which are only "fun" and "gorgeous" but not "true next-gen" enough for those who have borne witness to the 100GB of assets in Matrix City Sample...

(You're a weird dude, but takes all kinds I suppose.)
Matrix demo was 25GB. UE5 PS5 demo was 17 GB but its besides the point. I am sure Mario games are fun but I dont play them. you are in a thread that discusses graphics fidelity and next gen physics, not how fun a game is. Im still not seeing anything next gen here in terms of gameplay. Its more of the same and while that might be good for most people, its not weird to not want to play super hero games that havent even come close to matching the Arkham games. in gameplay.

SlimySnake

50-50 for spidey 2? 60-40 for avatar and starfield

giphy.gif

You really got soft or this consoles really are filthy pieces of horseshit...

You are gonna eat your words when the big dogs are gonna come into play, for now we had B-teams, crossgen and 20 years old engines with a lipstick.

Dude we are FUCKED if starfield is a 60-40...
Most of my experience so far in starfield has been indoors. i honestly barely ever go on planets. Maybe its because im mostly doing faction and main quests that revolve around you going into ships, talking to people in hubworlds and different bases that are super detailed and indoors. Planets look like dogshit but im sticking with 40% looking bad because i know eventually the game is gonna send me exploring on these god forsaken planets.

Also the lighting is still fantastic outdoors, its the god awful geometry and barren world design that for some fucking reason was downgraded from earlier this year. I swear it makes no sense because that footage looked amazing.

And ive always been soft. you have a bad memory because i remember you calling me out on praising RE4 then calling me out when i was praising the Star Wars desert levels and rocks lol. FF16 i loved the setpieces and you were like been there done that in 2010. Im a softy. I see somehting next gen in a sea of trash, and im like iwillallow it.gif. thats why im ok with spiderman now, those flying scenes look amazing.

you have always been the bigger graphics whore between the two of us. And yes, I agree when the big dogs release their games looking like the matrix demo, all these 50-50 games will look more like 10-90, but i will cross that bridge when we get there. in 2028.

CamHostage

I tried to pitch to you in like 2021 or 2022 (there's 206 pages of posts to crawl through...) that "next-gen" doesn't automatically come from just more horsepower, it's more the techniques and new approaches used that break the games away from the past. (Some gens in the past got real boosts from dedicated hardware features, but you're not really seeing that in hardware these days, even with the noted "RT Cores" and stuff like that helping high-end devices.) That stuff takes time to develop in ways which are sustainable, and they still have to balance into all the needs of a running application. Yes, you could do super-cool stuff with the massive power increase this gen (BTW, did you know that these consoles have like 10 TFLOPS whereas old gens only had barely 1.8?), but also a lot of the super-cool stuff which is being done in games just comes from advancements in simulation techniques and mathematical algorithms for solving limitations and integration of ML-trained assets which go beyond what a human could produce efficiently. Past gens, the hardware was the answer to making things more "next-gen", but PS4 and PS5, a lot comes down to the research, and then what you can end up taking advantage of (and hopefully can still fit into) the greater processing and bandwidth capacities of these current platforms. It's not just a simple dividing line of next-gen and past-gen, it's the current gen of technology as it is and as it develops.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Yeah the indoor look pretty, althought sometimes a bit too asettic and "flat"

Have you played atomic heart maxed out on pc? that one also has some incredible indoors (and outdoors).

That game doesn't get enough praises in here.

Last edited:

shamoomoo

If they told me this was Spiderman 1 I would have believed. It looks good, but not even close to what I would have expected from a PS5 exclusive of that caliber.
Either Insomniac Games Studios needs a new engine or they maxed out was is realistically achievable on the PS5, because I don't know how else could the push the visuals without a significant increase power. Their models are stylized so the aren't going to look photo real and the only things left are animations, accurate lighting and real life physics around certain objects.

alloush

This. After all these next gen games I cannot but give props to HFW and Ratchet, funnily enough Ratchet was made by Insomniac, lol.

Guerilla deserve a ton of credit honestly. Cant wait to see what they cook up with next gen in mind!

SlimySnake

Either Insomniac Games Studios needs a new engine or they maxed out was is realistically achievable on the PS5, because I don't know how else could the push the visuals without a significant increase power. Their models are stylized so the aren't going to look photo real and the only things left are animations, accurate lighting and real life physics around certain objects.
The reveal trailer was running on that same engine right? That looked next Gen. So the engine definitely can push visuals.

shamoomoo

The reveal trailer was running on that same engine right? That looked next Gen. So the engine definitely can push visuals.
The characters models looked the same,the opening of the trailer took place at night and lots of DOF and possibly ray tracing. There wasn't anything super duper crazy about the reveal of Spider-Man 2.

SlimySnake

Yeah the indoor look pretty, althought sometimes a bit too asettic and "flat"

Have you played atomic heart maxed out on pc? that one also has some incredible indoors (and outdoors).

That game doesn't get enough praises in here.

It was on my list to play but i kept putting it off until i had a good reason to get gamepass, but ended up buying starfield instead.

I just can't deal with spidey 2 models...

Did this gen really peaked early with horizon when it comes to character rendering in open world games? you can bet your ass that cyberpunk dlc and gta6 are not gonna be remotely as even as FW...if CB and rdr2 are of any indication.

I need to see what bend is cooking, days gone was mighty impressive given all the circumstances.
Witcher 4 with ue5 could be the saviour of the gen.
Well GTA 6 would look better than GTA 5

But aint saying that much when the last GTA was developed for PS3 and X360 in mind:

SlimySnake

Just an FYI, The crew motorfest has a free trial on all platforms. 5 hours. This weekend only. you can download and play starting now.

Only 37GB download. Finished in like 10 minutes. Surprised to see Ubisoft with great servers on Uplay.

SlimySnake

I tried to pitch to you in like 2021 or 2022 (there's 206 pages of posts to crawl through...) that "next-gen" doesn't automatically come from just more horsepower, it's more the techniques and new approaches used that break the games away from the past. (Some gens in the past got real boosts from dedicated hardware features, but you're not really seeing that in hardware these days, even with the noted "RT Cores" and stuff like that helping high-end devices.) That stuff takes time to develop in ways which are sustainable, and they still have to balance into all the needs of a running application. Yes, you could do super-cool stuff with the massive power increase this gen (BTW, did you know that these consoles have like 10 TFLOPS whereas old gens only had barely 1.8?), but also a lot of the super-cool stuff which is being done in games just comes from advancements in simulation techniques and mathematical algorithms for solving limitations and integration of ML-trained assets which go beyond what a human could produce efficiently. Past gens, the hardware was the answer to making things more "next-gen", but PS4 and PS5, a lot comes down to the research, and then what you can end up taking advantage of (and hopefully can still fit into) the greater processing and bandwidth capacities of these current platforms. It's not just a simple dividing line of next-gen and past-gen, it's the current gen of technology as it is and as it develops.
I think this goes back to my point about lazy devs you dont care for. Yes, its about the techniques, but if I see some devs like GG making huge leaps in lighting on a cross gen title while other studios simply fail to do so on next gen only titles then surely the R&D at these other studios is either incompetent or not up to par.

I just dont buy this excuse that the research hasnt caught up yet. Cerny was out there in 2017 talking to developers and the first gonzalo PS5 chips were ready in 2018. It's just a shame that devs aside from Epic and GG all just completely phoned in the R&D. I remember how the ICE Team at Naughty Dog used to be pioneers, years ahead of everyone because all they did was work on new tech. Now it seems like aside from Epic, they all seam to be struggling to take full advantage of these next gen consoles.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
giphy.gif

This, right here, looks fantastic.

The speed of movement. The amount of car traffic, both fantastic. There was some pretty good shit especially near the end of the trailer. And a few snippets of night.

Its definitely been polished up since the last abysmal showing.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Final Fantasy 7 Remake 2 or whatever its called, dont care for. Tired of that franchise. Looks ok I guess. More impressed by Spider-Man 2.

Showing Avatar in performance mode is fucking stupid, performance mode trailers should be abolished. Game looked nowhere near Burning Shores in that trailer.

Didn't see anything else. Catching up now

mrqs

giphy.gif

This, right here, looks fantastic.

The speed of movement. The amount of car traffic, both fantastic. There was some pretty good shit especially near the end of the trailer. And a few snippets of night.

Its definitely been polished up since the last abysmal showing.

I just think they could've showed off an improved sandbox. Also a bit more of an atmosphere wouldn't hurt, as most far away buildings look too sharp imo. A bit dry.

Top Bottom