• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

rofif

Banned
Just make sure you get the DLC and play the whole game as Aiden Pearce. I've lived in London in 2010s and their recreation is pretty amazing. It's worth getting just for virtual tourism.
The sentence you wrote is so outlandish, I have no idea if you are joking or what.
Yes. I will do that

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
The sentence you wrote is so outlandish, I have no idea if you are joking or what.
Yes. I will do that

What I'm trying to say is that their 'no main protagonist' approach where you play as random NPC is trash. Game is much better with DLC that allows you to play as protagonist of first Watch Dogs. And if story / gameplay is not interesting enough for you, it's worth getting just to walk around their virtual recreation of London. It's spot on.

Anyway. That comparison between Spider-Man and Spider-Man 2 made me miss the times of real generational difference. Like the jump from PS3 to PS4. Good times.

Just look at Infamous 2 vs. Second Son. Damn, son.

rofif

Banned
What I'm trying to say is that their 'no main protagonist' approach where you play as random NPC is trash. Game is much better with DLC that allows you to play as protagonist of first Watch Dogs. And if story / gameplay is not interesting enough for you, it's worth getting just to walk around their virtual recreation of London. It's spot on.

Anyway. That comparison between Spider-Man and Spider-Man 2 made me miss the times of real generational difference. Like the jump from PS3 to PS4. Good times.

Yeah 2nd son is still looking good and it's a great game

ChiefDada

Gold Member
In-Game shot I saw on twitter

qK0UD5q.jpg

shamoomoo

You have got to be fucking kidding me… I hope all the 60FPS cry babies are fucking happy. You got it. It runs up to 70 in 120hz mode even!

But what we also got, was this shit as our “generational” leap
Did anyone actually watch the video? The lighting in Spider-Man 2 is causing a bit or distortion on top of a slight redesign. Also,the actual pattern work is small or different with the numbers of suits shown.

shamoomoo

Not to mention lower distant LOD, lower clutter detail and lower pedestrian density. Wow!

On the same map from the last 2 games with new area the size of CDPR DLC map. How are they so efficient, I still don’t know!
Lol! How are you pressed about detail you wouldn't generally notice outside of a comparison and worse yet,your faux outrage is about incidental detail like literal garbage.🤣🤣🤣🤣

Last edited:
No, baked. And you can’t manually change it, like in prior games. When you finish the story you’re stuck with midday.
Which is crazy because the visual jump to me with Spiderman 2 is only the lighting but it’s all prebaked if what you’re saying is true, that’s technically kind of underwhelming compared to some of the other video games I had seen.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
i like how miles let you change it from the menu.

im sure they will patch this in.

Yeah I’m sure it will be. They probably run out of time and this sounds like a no brainer to put on a back burner as average player will take weeks to complete the game and that feature unlocks only after campaign is over.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Which is crazy because the visual jump to me with Spiderman 2 is only the lighting but it’s all prebaked if what you’re saying is true, that’s technically kind of underwhelming compared to some of the other video games I had seen.
what other games? Very few games this gen have dynamic GI. Only two games have RTGI. Metro and Cyberpunk. Only 2 games have realtime GI. Forza motorsport and Starfield.

Everything else uses baked lighting models. Even the few UE5 games dont use Lumen for dynamic GI. Remnant doesnt use Lumen and Lords of the Fallen uses baked in Lumen.

Lets hope the PC versions of HFW and Spiderman 2 have RTGI put in by Nixxes.

I really hate daytime in SM2. Looks really weak compare to others time of day. It exposes all the game weakness for everybody to see. Hope they can add swap time of day soon because I don't want to stuck with daytime after finish the main campaign.

One more thing is vegetation. There's little upgrade but still looks like shit when compare to HFW.

Lighting,shadow, reflections are doing the most work for the graphics of this game lol. Textures are almost the same, maybe small changes here and there throughout the whole city

Last edited:

CGNoire

I love how the complexion of the thread has changed in just one day. John only uses the best comparisons and screenshots to paint the game in the best light, and gets us all hyped up on hopium then we come crashing back down to earth after someone else who isnt a complete shill posts some actual unflattering comparisons.

I can still see some improvements in these screenshots, better lighting, better trees, and more traffic, but its also clear a lot of the assets have remained the same.

One thing this does is prove GymWolf GymWolf right about asset quality, textures and models making a bigger difference than simply upgrading the lighting like Lethal01 Lethal01 said earlier today. I did not expect Lethal to lose the fight in one day but this is proof that you can upgrade the lighting all you want, but other things like actual character models and level of detail pops out more.
Its the marriage of extreme Geometry plus Lighting that matters the most.

Lighting&Shader Quality going forward is definitly more important than going from 8k to 16k textures. Textures are just a stand in hack for real geometry and lighting afterall.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
What happened to DOF on that bus window? CGI glitched out?

Lol, a regular gamer took this in photomode, not a virtual cinematographer. He screwed up the DoF but overall it still looks ace.

Dude this thread is literally about comparing images under a microscope in search of generational difference. Spider-Man 2 ain’t it.

Oh and these pics in all of it's path-traced glory running on a mighty 4090 is sooooo much better right? Neck and neck with CG am I right?

8oDyXYr.jpg
P1Af9W0.jpg
Au2enKx.jpg

RNK

The post with that comparison was disingenuous at best. A second after that they showed a comparison with the advanced suit 2.0 which is what is the default for Peter in the new game. It's significantly better than Spidey 1

Also, his final thoughts overall were that it was a big upgrade over the previous games, but that those games still hold up well..

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Just look at Spiderman 2 vs Matrix. Hellblade 2 vs Hellblade 1. The leap is coming. Just will take some time.

Wolverine and Death Stranding 2 are next from Sony. We will see what happens. My guess is a step behind Matrix but somewhere betewen Spiderman 2 and Matrix.

rofif

Banned
Lol, a regular gamer took this in photomode, not a virtual cinematographer. He screwed up the DoF but overall it still looks ace.

Oh and these pics in all of it's path-traced glory running on a mighty 4090 is sooooo much better right? Neck and neck with CG am I right?

8oDyXYr.jpg
P1Af9W0.jpg
Au2enKx.jpg
Imo it's still looking like the same cyberpunk. It i higher fidelity lighting with bounce and all but if youj show most people ps5 performance mode vs pc PT mode, most wouldn't notice.
It's not Gta san andreas to gta 4 graphics differnce :p

I did some comparisons on my end and the game can look increidble... likeground truth render. Like holy shit, look at some of my BEST SCREENSHOTS:
oJhb0KF.jpg

R1nnAwb.jpg

On the other hand, when i compare in "some" scenes, ultra raster to path tracing... yeah the results are clear but also not too huge. Looks goo in both.
KNTzuIC.jpg

NDKkGIS.jpg

JfKXPm3.jpg

hj8OvEi.jpg

Screenshot with biggere difference but I still would be ok with Raster scene.... which could look even better with better raster care
OWcgai1.jpg

jCzWpzm.jpg

what other games? Very few games this gen have dynamic GI. Only two games have RTGI. Metro and Cyberpunk. Only 2 games have realtime GI. Forza motorsport and Starfield.

Everything else uses baked lighting models. Even the few UE5 games dont use Lumen for dynamic GI. Remnant doesnt use Lumen and Lords of the Fallen uses baked in Lumen.

Lets hope the PC versions of HFW and Spiderman 2 have RTGI put in by Nixxes.
From a lighting pov I’m deadass more impressed with Crysis 2, this was over 10 years ago..

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
The post with that comparison was disingenuous at best. A second after that they showed a comparison with the advanced suit 2.0 which is what is the default for Peter in the new game. It's significantly better than Spidey 1

Advanced Suit 2.0 is not in the prior game, I was comparing assets and scenes that are copy/pasted between the games.

Some stuff looks better, some stuff looks worse. But in general it's underwhelming and people that are talking about generational difference are smoking crack.

RNK

Advanced Suit 2.0 is not in the prior game, I was comparing assets and scenes that are copy/pasted between the games.

Some stuff looks better, some stuff looks worse. But in general it's underwhelming and people that are talking about generational difference are smoking crack.
You clearly were trying to show it in a bad light, while giving zero context. If that's how you want to compare, by all means go for it. I just thought a little perspective was in order.

Taken as a whole, in my opinion the compromise insomniac made are well worth it, as nobody is really zooming in 400 times to check the LOD from the highest perch, or zooming in on the garbage in a trash can.

The lighting, textures, and assets all got a pretty good bump.

Lethal01

One thing this does is prove GymWolf GymWolf right about asset quality, textures and models making a bigger difference than simply upgrading the lighting like Lethal01 Lethal01 said earlier today. I did not expect Lethal to lose the fight in one day but this is proof that you can upgrade the lighting all you want, but other things like actual character models and level of detail pops out more.

I was never talking about what people would notice in general. I did talk about what is actually more realistic but even that wasn't really my point.
I commented on you saying that people stop and notice bad lighting, especially in fast paced games to say it isn't really something I need to stop and notice, it's as clear to me as a super pixelated texture, some others feel similar, that's all.

I continue to notice the totally innacurate shadows and global illumination far more than texture and model quality, I don't think I ever commented on what affects visuals most to you guys so I don't see how this is a discussion I could really lose.

I think this game with totally accurate lighting would 100% look better than this game with infinite geometric and texture density

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
You clearly were trying to show it in a bad light, while giving zero context. If that's how you want to compare, by all means go for it. I just thought a little perspective was in order.

Taken as a whole, in my opinion the compromise insomniac made are well worth it, as nobody is really zooming in 400 times to check the LOD from the highest perch, or zooming in on the garbage in a trash can.

The lighting, textures, and assets all got a pretty good bump.

I love how you're omitting reducing pedestrians density and instead focusing on random trash having lower LOD. A downgrade is a downgrade.

Some here were expecting a generational difference. But like you've said: it's a good bump in some areas, a downgrade in other areas and a disappointment in general. Just compare Infamous 2 to Infamous Second Son. That was a generational difference.

Can't wait for the day path-tracing will make its way to mainstream budget options. You're gonna like it too, I promise.

shamoomoo

Dude this thread is literally about comparing images under a microscope in search of generational difference.
Unless there is a bug or terrible implementation,LOD is there so we won't notice the transition during gameplay or spending the rendering budget on better things. Unless the garbage is part of gameplay,it doesn't need that much detail.

SlimySnake

Bro I saw that basically as soon as it was uploaded. Came on my recommended
Same. Big mistake because since then YouTube has recommended three story spoilers videos with huge spoilers in the title. Thanks a lot Google, you cunts.

And they want to let AI control everything in the future. Their retarded algorithms think we want to see story spoilers the day before launch.

Top Bottom