• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

GymWolf

Gold Member
I am telling you the classroom scene straight up looked unfinished. NO cutscene in the OG spiderman felt that janky.
All the cutscene looks terrible.

And what the fuck is wrong with the models, they look AWFUL.

Oh my god horizon literally destroy this thing, this is a disaster.

The cutscene where peter
lose the job was also terrible, miles gf, the school headchief, ganke, they all look terrible

This Must be a bug or something, i straight up refuse to believe that df had the courage to praise this thing.

I'm on a loss of words, i'm not joking folks, i'm deadly serious.

I swear returnal look more impressive than this thing.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I

I have a feeling the first guy is SlimySnake SlimySnake . He sounds exactly like him, warning everyone about them graphics and nobody’s listening and he is tired of it
i got perma banned a long time ago for console warring. i think before the last gen consoles launched. All i said was criticizing exclusives be it from sony or microsoft shouldnt be labeled concern trolling. i was banned for concern trolling.

All the cutscene looks terrible.

And what the fuck is wrong with the models, they look AWFUL.

Oh my god horizon literally destroy this thing, this is a disaster.

The cutscene where peter
lose the job was also terrible, miles gf, the school headchief, ganke, they all look terrible

This Must be a bug or something, i straight up refuse to believe that df had the courage to praise this thing.

I'm on a loss of words, i'm not joking folks, i'm deadly serious.

I swear returnal look more impressive than this thing.
nah i agree. the cutscenes are way off. i noticed them immediately. ChiefDada is right. Game could use some polish. Ratchet felt way more polished than this.

Last edited:

Lethal01

I can excuse poor npc character models in a game that has hundreds of them. I can excuse low res textures on npcs. What i can’t excuse is how ugly insomniacs is making every woman in the game.

Reporters don’t look this ugly in real life because they need to be pretty to look good on TV. Most of the reporters come from beauty pageants and modeling backgrounds. The ugly ones do the actual journalism behind desks because no one wants to see purple hair on TV.

fcb1r7E.jpg
QUOX4or.jpg
9ClKqo9.jpg
The problem here is the characters is lit like a horror character, just really innacurate and uncanny.

appearance wise the character is good looking.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
the cutscenes arent as polished? or is it something else?
Yes, the cutscenes. Peter and MJ in particular, but Peter is the worst offender (ridiculous). In all of the cutscenes I've seen so far, Peter's face NEVER responds to ambient lighting well stays virtually white. And his animation is very bad. Much of the same goes for MJ although her hair is rather excellent. They both also lack SSS. Harry is easily the best looking character with very good animation, lighting, occlusion, ssr etc. But I finally had enough after the carnival where he and MJ ruined an otherwise beautiful cinematic with great ambient lighting from fireworks and coaster lights throughout the environment.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Ok first good cutscene when
peter and harry are in a alley and they are entering their ex-college, this bit looked good

Also i can confirm that harry is the best model of the bunch (still bad tho)

Edit: ok the game looks better without the sand covering everything.

Last edited:

CGNoire

I still don't know what was wrong with cubemaps. they can be updated in real time too. Some games do it.
Planar reelections were super heavy but at least looked pristine... while still being lighter than RT.

Imo RT has it's place but it's overall overrated
Yep its what GTaV did and it looked great.

Some cutscenes look good some look terrible. Keep playing the game, guys. It looks really good in any time of day other than daytime.

Just reached night time, the game looks stunning. I honestly don't want to continue the story because it will comeback to daytime lol.

Last edited:
The latest developer fellatio by the leading tech critic on the internet.

Super Mario Bros Wonder - Digital Foundry Tech Review - A Switch Masterpiece​

Actual title of their youtube video. I dont know. Maybe this 2D game IS a masterpiece, but it rings hollow after he's called everything from Horizon FW, Forza Horizon 5, TLOU Part 1, and Spiderman 2 as next gen visual masterpieces.

Mario Wonder is good but is ruined by the piss easy difficulty. I'm really sad that Nintendo can't let us have one game with a decent level of challenge. It's the easiest Mario I've played so far. They have Kirby and Yoshi for children. At least give us a difficulty on par with the true masterpieces in the series, SM3 and 4. It's very disheartening.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Despite my issues with the cutscenes I do think it is one of the best looking games ever made. And tied with returnal for absolute best next gen gameplay feeling. I guess I'll just free roam until they patch.

rofif rofif you can't get these beautiful reflections without RT. Cubemaps won't cut it. I just wish they could have had ff16 level shadows because it would look pure CG

Last edited:
Btw, we gave up better overall rendering for this absolute shit

qxFxZx.png

qxcuJA.png

People trying to convince me that this is worth losing 30% of your rendering budget can go suck a popsicle.

I take blurred reflections over this low res galore shit that is distracting as hell.

Digitalfraude completely lost their minds with this one :lollipop_squinting:

Digital Foundry has become an absolute joke. I'll say it- John is the biggest joker on that site.

Despite my issues with the cutscenes I do think it is one of the best looking games ever made. And tied with returnal for absolute best next gen gameplay feeling. I guess I'll just free roam until they patch.

rofif rofif you can't get these beautiful reflections without RT. Cubemaps won't cut it. I just wish they could have had ff16 level shadows because it would look pure CG

Can you at least admit it's not a good enough step up over Miles Morales and that it would've been better if they focused more on asset quality and geometry than RT reflections?

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Can you at least admit it's not a good enough step up over Miles Morales and that it would've been better if they focused more on asset quality and geometry than RT reflections?

No, because I'd be lying. This is easily a top 5 best looking game ever made. My top 3 this gen is CP2077, FFXVI, and SM2. SM2 has already exceeded Ratchet and Burning Shores even with the bugged cutscenes.

rofif

Banned

yes, these are great but honestly, if it was done with cubemaps+some ssr fallback, you wouldn't notice that it's missing some cars etc when swinging.
But all power to them for making RT ONLY game. that's the way to go for this stuff

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
I enjoy not having a wing suit in Miles Morales. Web swinging all the way. Tomorrow when I'm back to Spider-Man 2, I won't use it. Traversal feels better that way, at least in the city.

2 more from Miles.

EwAm9wT.jpg

7u2gwXi.jpg

Just finished the sandman fight...there is something severely wrong with the graphic of this game.

I need to reinstall morales because i swear that one looks better...

It looks SO unimpressive.

I hope it gets better when all this shitty sand cover goes away.

The scene in the classroom was hilariously bad.

I was expecting mid, but this is way worse than i imagined...WTF?
Ok I’m not the only one - like it looks worse than morales to me. I don’t know if there’s some weird thing happening with the lighting or what.

Also I have no secondary ssd so it’s not the bug

Mortisfacio

Banned
No, because I'd be lying. This is easily a top 5 best looking game ever made. My top 3 this gen is CP2077, FFXVI, and SM2. SM2 has already exceeded Ratchet and Burning Shores even with the bugged cutscenes.

F8lods5WAAA9woG

ITT_Rose2.jpg

Nice city, but character models look last gen. It Takes Two is a last gen UE4 game that never pretended to be a visual showcase and yet still the characters look the same or better than "next gen" SM2

alloush

i got perma banned a long time ago for console warring. i think before the last gen consoles launched. All i said was criticizing exclusives be it from sony or microsoft shouldnt be labeled concern trolling. i was banned for concern trolling.

nah i agree. the cutscenes are way off. i noticed them immediately. ChiefDada is right. Game could use some polish. Ratchet felt way more polished than this.
Wait, you got perma’d on ree? Never been to that place except like once literally and that was it. Was wondering, why do devs and some famous journalists like Jason frequently visit that website but not here? Is it because it is a safe place?

Mortisfacio

Banned
Wait, you got perma’d on ree? Never been to that place except like once literally and that was it. Was wondering, why do devs and some famous journalists like Jason frequently visit that website but not here? Is it because it is a safe place?

Would imagine so. Risk backlash. Used to get some devs/journos here, at least, like Luke Smith back when he worked for 1up WAY back

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
yes.

yes, these are great but honestly, if it was done with cubemaps+some ssr fallback, you wouldn't notice that it's missing some cars etc when swinging.
But all power to them for making RT ONLY game. that's the way to go for this stuff
i think the water looks that great partially because of those rt reflections. honestly, ive never seen water this good. i legit had to stop and take a picture when replaying the intro once you fly over the hudson river the first time. wont post it here but man that was when I went wow, this is a massive upgrade over Spiderman 1.

BTW, i switched to the 30 fps mode and its perfectly playable. Note to those playing in 40 fps mode, it is mostly 1440p. And the 60 fps mode is mostly 1080p. So play at your own risk.

I hope Insomniac can do something post launch to fix cutscenes and character models in cutscenes. Anyone else notice how jarring the first cutscens with the new villain is? The cutscene from the first gameplay demo ..it's so awkwardly inserted into this game. No smooth transition into or out of things.

How can Insomniac justify not fixing these cutscenes which are inferior to the previous games? They have to right?

I put a couple hours in it this morning and I agree on the cutscenes. They look pretty bad, and same with that smoke at the beginning. The graphics during actual gameplay look great but the cutscenes look so inconsistent. I swear one didn't even have the lip sync correct.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Ok, can we stop being fucking grumpy old men for a second.

We're not talking about it enough....

Let’s appreciate the traversal in this game.
It is fucking nuts. Wow.

The web swinging, the Super jump, the sling shot jumping. The fucking sick ass loop swinging.. The speed of everything is just wow. Truly awesome. Incredible travesial in this game. It’s clear thats where they spent most of their time.

Best use of the SSD this gen .. so far

Last edited:

Alex11

The traversal in this game is fucking nuts. Wow.

The web swinging, the Super jump, the sling shot jumping. The speed of everything is just wow. Truly awesome. Incredible travesial in this game. Its clear thats where they spent most of their time.
Yeah, but I mean it's sort of a given, no? It was amazing in the first one, I think the only game that can have a better traversal would be a Superman game.

But I get it, it was the only thing that kept me going in the first game, I can imagine how it can be in this one.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Yeah, but I mean it's sort of a given, no? It was amazing in the first one, I think the only game that can have a better traversal would be a Superman game.

But I get it, it was the only thing that kept me going in the first game, I can imagine how it can be in this one.
Yeah. Superman could be legit too. Lmao it’s shocking there hasn’t been a good super game yet. One of the worlds greatest mysteries

But yeah. It was great in The first game. But it’s on steroids here. A few things I’m like, “this makes so much sense, why wasn’t it in the first game?”

Game could benefit from:

- more polished and impressive cutscenes
- more particles and effects during combat

CGNoire

Mario Wonder is good but is ruined by the piss easy difficulty. I'm really sad that Nintendo can't let us have one game with a decent level of challenge. It's the easiest Mario I've played so far. They have Kirby and Yoshi for children. At least give us a difficulty on par with the true masterpieces in the series, SM3 and 4. It's very disheartening.
It looks like it was designed for the constant stim generation. I love mario but i just cant with this.

CGNoire

It is fucking nuts. Wow.

The web swinging, the Super jump, the sling shot jumping. The fucking sick ass loop swinging.. The speed of everything is just wow. Truly awesome. Incredible travesial in this game. It’s clear thats where they spent most of their time.

Sm2 on ps2 is just as fast. People forget.

UchihaMadara

Neo Member
Not gonna lie. Was dissapointed by Spiderman's graphics. Not only graphics are bad but actions cutscenes are kinda choppy(it's like skipping frames all the time) and uneven with pretty underwelming visual effect especially when it comes to fire, water, smoke and other particles. First boss was impressive in terms of scope and spectacle
but after that nothing comes close not even Venom boss fight which was underwhelming as hell to be honest
Characters models are disgusting(besides Miles). Animations and facial expression are like early PS4 games and barely better than NPC's(with zero dialogue) from Starfield. It's embarassing.

The worst about thing about the game that Insomniac really thinking now that they killed it due to MC Score and of course enourmous amount of copies they are gonna sell.

Last edited:
Not gonna lie. Was dissapointed by Spiderman's graphics. Not only graphics are bad but actions cutscenes are kinda choppy(it's like skipping frames all the time) and uneven with pretty underwelming visual effect especially when it comes to fire, water, smoke and other particles. First boss was impressive in terms of scope and spectacle .
Characters models are disgusting(besides Miles). Animations and facial expression are like early PS4 games and barely better than NPC's(with zero dialogue) from Starfield. It's embarassing.

The worst about thing about the game that Insomniac really thinking now that they killed it due to MC Score and of course enourmous amount of copies they are gonna sell.
Gaming is an extremely casualized market now. Normies have zero standards for any media and will happily gobble this up. Hell parsing through the OT and review threads on here and resetera, even the hardcore market has rock bottom standards (someone on RE said a goddamn side mission got them so emotional they cried, someone in the OT here said it looks better than the matrix demo)

As far as reviews this was always gonna be lapped up by gaming “journalist”. I could write an essay on all the ways it panders to that crowd but to give an idea there’s a uhhh certain boss fight with Spider-Man and a character he has a personal relationship with who’s not themselves and the dialogue is so unbelievably cringe and woke even my gf was watching gameplay and couldn’t believe the high school stage play level dialogue writing. Basically Spider-Man sucks the dick of this character who may or may not be a woman and tells of all the ways she’s better than him. The second I saw that I knew it’d be a 90+ on Meta

Last edited:
Not gonna lie. Was dissapointed by Spiderman's graphics. Not only graphics are bad but actions cutscenes are kinda choppy(it's like skipping frames all the time) and uneven with pretty underwelming visual effect especially when it comes to fire, water, smoke and other particles. First boss was impressive in terms of scope and spectacle
but after that nothing comes close not even Venom boss fight which was underwhelming as hell to be honest

Graphics in most of what I’ve seen also look like shit. And I watched a YouTube playthrough beginning to end in 4k.

Sans the traversal speed this would be the easiest PS4 port out there. Like piss easy. I’d honestly put this game on GOW Ragnarok’s level purely visually speaking. Maybe even below at times. I’m fairly certain kratos looks better than Peter, the black girl/Atreus look better than miles and miles gf, and freya looks better than MJ easily

Last edited:

UchihaMadara

Neo Member
Graphics in most of what I’ve seen also look like shit. And I watched a YouTube playthrough beginning to end in 4k.

Sans the traversal speed this would be the easiest PS4 port out there. Like piss easy. I’d honestly put this game on GOW Ragnarok’s level purely visually speaking. Maybe even below at times. I’m fairly certain kratos looks better than Peter, the black girl/Atreus look better than miles and miles gf, and freya looks better than MJ easily
This is worse. Way worse. Ragnarok's dissapointing visuals aside it excelled at everything else(Animations, acting, design, storytelling, writing, gameplay etc. were top notch). While Spiderman 2 is just Spiderman 2018 with ray-tracing.

This is worse. Way worse. Ragnarok's dissapointing visuals aside it excelled at everything else(Animations, acting, design, storytelling, writing, gameplay etc. were top notch). While Spiderman 2 is just Spiderman 2018 with ray-tracing.
Also GOWR had the excuse of being cross gen. Spider-Man 2 is a (supposedly) premium ps5 only exclusive and looks very poor. I’m gonna love seeing the recommended PC specs when this gets ported in like a year.

Betcha this shit runs on a 1060 or lower just fine.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member

It is fucking nuts. Wow.

Literally the only impressive feature of the whole package, the sense of speed is great.

Top Bottom