• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

alloush

Is this why bright reds and oranges say on game intro splash screens always look dull even when the screen is as bright as it can go? Everything else looks great including the HDR on big budget games I just always thought it was to protect your eyes or something lol but I guess it's cause OLED's have lower brightness overall.

I don't know that much about TV's I just heard the OLED one I got was the best one for gaming under £1200 so I got it. I love it though, worth every penny.
OLEDs beat LEDs in every category bar brightness. But then again, you do not need OLEDs to be extra bright as they have infinite contrast and absolute black levels. In black scenes, the screen would be so black you'd think it is turned off this is because the organic light in it emits itself or turns off completely. Having said that, HDR on OLEDs do not look as good as on LEDs in my humble opinion due to the fact that you need high brightness levels for it to look good if that makes sense. HDR looks a bit dimmed on OLEDs, but OLEDs are getting brighter by the day, the 2023 lineup are very bright and have high peak brightness, they are slowly catching up.

Micro-LEDs are the future though, they combine the best of both worlds but they are still a few years away from being mass produced and becoming mainstream.

Last edited:

Musilla

ezgif-2-1c16b7a789.gif

OCASM

Banned
easily THE MOST beautiful game last-gen. a true visual showcase with an art direction second to none
it would look astonishing with a proper update [which is why you need to play it on a 1080 monitor to appreciate its beauty]
and a sequel would be phenomenal !

stupid Jim Ryan had to let go of RAD and sold them off to Facebook
because the game didn't sell well.
sometimes I don't get the industry.
gamers and the companies making equally idiotic, ill-advised and unkind decisions supporting trends that should never be followed
I wanted to support such technical achievements so I bought its special edition day1

some encouragement for you to give the game a try ASAP:
world-class [baked and dynamic] lighting, texture work, volumetric effects, motion blur, reflections, character details draw distance, cloth simulation etc.

areas that would need improvement: AO and shadows

(my own screenshots on a base PS4):
EUEadYn.jpg
KfRKsoB.jpg

FA6qW8a.jpg

24M8pq8.jpg

there were several mind-blowing moments from the game I will never forget:

the first werewolf transformation
watching people talk [fully lip-synced]
there is a scene early in the game where you walk through an alley with a butcher's shop, that was one of the most photo-realistic scenes I have ever seen in a videogame
overcast London
LOD in panoramic scenes
and so much more
The soft grainy look is something more devs should do. Gets rid of the clinical gamey look in cinematic titles.

It's biggest defect was the lack of SSR, though.

Can someone briefly explain the difference between RT and Path Tracing?
Ray tracing is just testing whether a ray (a line defined by an position and a vector) intersects something (can be triangles, spheres, planes, voxels, etc...). Can be used for rendering but also for collision detection and sound propagation simulations.

Path tracing is a global illumination algorithm that tries to simulate how light bounces around in the real world using ray tracing.

Last edited:

alloush

What the fuck they did to little napoleon?
Some hilarious stuff going on, man! That’s the problem with remakes they go way overboard thinking by going extra it’ll make the game look better but little do they know.

Ray tracing is just testing whether a ray (a line defined by an position and a vector) intersects something (can be triangles, spheres, planes, voxels, etc...). Can be used for rendering but also for collision detection and sound propagation simulations.

Path tracing is a global illumination algorithm that tries to simulate how light bounces around in the real world using ray tracing.
I appreciate the explanation OCASM. That made things easier for me to comprehend. I always wondered about the difference. So path tracing is basically the future, correct?

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Stig Asmussen (GOW3 and Star Wars Jedi director) was on IGN with Ryan McCaffey and he was asked straight up why they didnt choose UE5. Their dev started right around the time UE5 was revealed on the PS5 so it shouldve been a no-brainer, no?

Well, Stig said that the team explored shipping the game on UE5 with Lumens and Nanite and whatnot, but ultimately decided that the UE5 engine which was still in development was not in the state to help ship the game on time. So they decided to focus on utilizing the SSD and GPU for bigger levels and used UE4's ray tracing features instead. He said it would not be possible on last gen consoles simply because of the size and detail in the sequel.

Jedi 3 will definitely be on UE5.

I dont know what to think about this. On one hand, yes it sucks to have the engine be in dev when you're doing dev yourself. But then again, that was the case with UE3 and UE4. Epic made Gears on UE3 while it was being developed and UE4 didnt release until after last gen started. Several 2014-2015 games were on UE4.

I think Respawn missed a trick here. Yes, it wouldve been a pain at first, but Epic had made 3 demos by the end of 2021. They also started dev in early 2020, Epic had the UE5 demo ready to show at GDC March, but covid pushed it back to May. It wouldve been perfect timing. Maybe some growing pains but nothing Stig or Respawn didnt experience before with GOW3 and Titanfall 1.

Neilg

Technically path tracing is everything, it doesn't distinguish between GI, reflections or light.
Most games only use it for GI because it's all modern gpu's can handle, so the path tracing is done on solid flat geometry, denoised then multiplied against the textures, making sure the details are sharp even when the light is struggling to clean up, but the term has been around a lot longer and is used to mean calculating everything.
Cyberpunks raytraced shadow mode is more path traced, but nvidia is pushing 'raytracing' so now that's what everything is called. the terms are being thrown around a bit loosely.
I'm sure you already know this, this is wildly unnecessary detail for anyone just playing videogames.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Now, I don't want to hate on Re 4 just because I feel like it, I recently worked on small UE5 project for some interactive CGI ``experience`` for Siemens. They needed me to tune renderer for their needs because they are running some quadros and it UE5 isn't still fully comfortable running on "industrial" HW. With that said, I've seen what my 4090 can do, it blew my mind, so I need to get back to earth.

But I feel like the remake looks like shit and on the top of that, why they pulled the camera towards the character, looks weird. Is it some B team doing this or something. I would expect remaking one of the most iconic game of all time, to get way more care than whatever that is. With all of that said I think that RE8 looked amazing and it still does. Based on previews RE4:R does not really seems to be any match for that.

Aight, this seals it. I am gonna buy The Order and fire it up on my CX 77" OLED TV just to see what the fuss is all about.

Can someone briefly explain the difference between RT and Path Tracing?

I fear the Order won't look that great on a 77 inch 4k TV due to it being only 1080p. Looks surprisingly good on a 55 inch tho when most low res games look like shit (ie Driveclub)

Now, I don't want to hate on Re 4 just because I feel like it, I recently worked on small UE5 project for some interactive CGI ``experience`` for Siemens. They needed me to tune renderer for their needs because they are running some quadros and it UE5 isn't still fully comfortable running on "industrial" HW. With that said, I've seen what my 4090 can do, it blew my mind, so I need to get back to earth.

But I feel like the remake looks like shit and on the top of that, why they pulled the camera towards the character, looks weird. Is it some B team doing this or something. I would expect remaking one of the most iconic game of all time, to get way more care than whatever that is. With all of that said I think that RE8 looked amazing and it still does. Based on previews RE4:R does not really seems to be any match for that.

I'm not seeing why all the bagging on Re4 R this forum is doing is justified. It looks just as good as all the re emt Capcom games to me. The most recent official footage was high bitrate and looks clean as hell. Only thing 'off' to my eyes was that the gamma looked too dark in some scenes which seems to be par for the course for Capcom, they can't seem to ever get their HDR grading just right.

You can still somewhat see the low-poly nature of the assets, but the lighting and DoF is amazing for early PS4.

If the Order was given a proper resolution and 60 fps update it would beat every single game this gen visually with the exception of a few standout games. That's a testament to how incredible the presentation of it is (and also the stagnation of console graphics this gen)

Banned
Did the Forza devs lie to us in that last conference? It sure seemed like they heavily implied rt gi would be in gameplay on SX ....now, everyone seems certain it's only on PC. Did the devs have to clarify that this past week or something?

They definitely implied rt gi on Series X

they never did, even with the first presentation they said rt reflections during races, and RT lighting during everything else (Forza Vista, replays etc.)

Last edited:

OCASM

Banned
I appreciate the explanation OCASM. That made things easier for me to comprehend. I always wondered about the difference. So path tracing is basically the future, correct?
Yep, it's basically the holy grail of lighting rendering.

Technically path tracing is everything, it doesn't distinguish between GI, reflections or light.
Most games only use it for GI because it's all modern gpu's can handle, so the path tracing is done on solid flat geometry, denoised then multiplied against the textures, making sure the details are sharp even when the light is struggling to clean up, but the term has been around a lot longer and is used to mean calculating everything.
Cyberpunks raytraced shadow mode is more path traced, but nvidia is pushing 'raytracing' so now that's what everything is called. the terms are being thrown around a bit loosely.
I'm sure you already know this, this is wildly unnecessary detail for anyone just playing videogames.
Technically GI is everything (hence the "global" in the name) but due to old convention people use it to refer to secondary light bounces only. In terms of necessity, anything beyond PS2 graphics in HD is hardly necessary but hey, why not push boundries?

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
Nope. They IMPLIED gameplay. The problem is they were most likely lying about it and it'll only be rt reflections in gameplay
Starts at 1:09, he specifically mentions that in non gameplay moments there will be RTGI and before that he mentioned that RT reflections are on track while playing the game. He made it pretty clear to me there

amigastar

For now Diablo 4 looks graphically amazing, next gen for sure.
Other than that GTA6 will blow us away i'm sure. There is talk about pretty advanced water simulation and the Jump for graphics will be bigger than GTA V to RDR 2.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Is this HFW?
Yes, that area looks gorgeous. the water rendering there is absolutely amazing.

re2 team isn’t the b team but isn’t the A team either. I’d say the remake 3 team is the B team and the re2make and rem4ke teams are probably A- teams.

You brought up a 4090 which is 63 tflops equivalent to probably a 40 tflops rdna 2 gpu. This team were limited by a 1.3 tflops xbox one and 1.8 tflops ps4.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Yes, that area looks gorgeous. the water rendering there is absolutely amazing.

re2 team isn’t the b team but isn’t the A team either. I’d say the remake 3 team is the B team and the re2make and rem4ke teams are probably A- teams.

You brought up a 4090 which is 63 tflops equivalent to probably a 40 tflops rdna 2 gpu. This team were limited by a 1.3 tflops xbox one and 1.8 tflops ps4.
No that was just me saying that my judgement could be clouded, recently

CGNoire

I 100% agree it looks worse than RE3make. Def Capcoms B team.
I only hope this isnt some sign of a bad internal change for there company. Theve been doing so well lately and are really the only Japanese company willing to go for a more photoreal artstyle via photogramettry.

CGNoire

Starts at 1:09, he specifically mentions that in non gameplay moments there will be RTGI and before that he mentioned that RT reflections are on track while playing the game. He made it pretty clear to me there

Yes so GI is only in replays. So your both in agreement.

GymWolf

Other than that GTA6 will blow us away i'm sure. There is talk about pretty advanced water simulation and the Jump for graphics will be bigger than GTA V to RDR 2.
D4 looks nowhere near nextgen looking.

Schmendrick

To me it is, just like GTA V on Xbox 360 was a next gen game although it was on Xbox360.
That makes no sense whatsoever.
It's a technological category, so as much as you're entitled to your own opinion, you're objectively wrong.
D4 is a mostly static diorama, and no matter how much you like the presentation, or rather the artstyle, the tech below it is nothing to marvel about.

Last edited:

M1987

Only the trailer looks good,the gameplay looks like a PS4 game

Yes so GI is only in replays. So your both in agreement.

I was going off the Microsoft Conference. So "glad" the director clarified things. They definitely implied during the conference it would be gameplay. The way they mislead at these events is par for the course tho.

This guy's interview wasn't part of the actual MS conference

Last edited:

amigastar

That makes no sense whatsoever.
It's a technological category, so as much as you're entitled to your own opinion, you're objectively wrong.
D4 is a mostly static diorama, and no matter how much you like the presentation, or rather the artstyle, the tech below it is nothing to marvel about.
But isn't it all own opinion. No game that has come out impressed me like a next gen title should do? Just take the title of this thread for example, it's called "I expect" thats far from objective.

Last edited:

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
I was going off the Microsoft Conference. So "glad" the director clarified things. They definitely implied during the conference it would be gameplay. The way they mislead at these events is par for the course tho.

This guy's interview wasn't part of the actual MS conference
Where did they say that it was in gameplay? They always said that RTGi will look great but RT reflections are the only one on track during gameplay. People got confused and thats why he made it clear on the stream to avoid confusion.

Even during the last conference they said this "You see it thanks to Ray Trace Global Illumination which simulates how hunderds of thousands of light rays accumulate color as they bounce between surfaces. We're rendering all our environments in 4K at 60fps with real-time Ray tracing on track to create true the life reflections on all smooth, mirror and flat glass surfaces."

at 5:12

Schmendrick

But isn't it all own opinion. No game that has come out impressed me like a next gen title should do? Just take the title of this thread for example, it's called "I expect" thats far from objective.
Nothing D4 does is impossible, or even high end on PS4 simply because it`s a PS4 game. It objectively can`t be next gen by sheer definition alone, no matter how much one likes the artstyle. It`s at the very best a crossgen game depending on what Blizz makes of the PS5/XSX versions (RT implementations are planned).
If you expect only this kind of fidelity on current gen then your opinion is an uneducated one from a technical perspective.

Last edited:

amigastar

Nothing D4 does is impossible, or even high end on PS4 simply because it`s a PS4 game. It objectively can`t be next gen by sheer definition alone, no matter how much one likes the artstyle. It`s at the very best a crossgen game depending on what Blizz makes of the PS5/XSS versions.
Honestly, just because God of War Ragnarok is only on PS5 it doesn't mean automatically that it's next gen graphics. I've seen comparisons and there is almost nothing a PS4 can't do.
Also if tech is nothing to marvel about, well i don't see any more advanced tech in God of War than in Diablo 4.
But whatever.

Last edited:

Schmendrick

Honestly, just because God of War Ragnarok is only on PS5 it doesn't mean automatically that it's next gen graphics. I've seen comparisons and there is almost nothing a PS4 can't do.
Also if tech is nothing to marvel about, well i don't see any more advanced tech in God of War than in Diablo 4.
But whatever.
GoW:R is on PS4, it's a crossgen game...... Which is an optimistic term for upscaled last gen software.

And at that "ps4 can do anything"....lol, just lol.

Last edited:

amigastar

GoW:R is on PS4, it's a crossgen game...... Which is an optimistic term for upscaled last gen software.

And at that "ps4 can do anything"....lol, just lol.
What i've meant is that the PS4 can do almost all graphical features that the PS5 can do in GoW:R, i've never said PS4 can do anything, ok? I was referring to GoW.
But like i said there aren't many really next gen titles yet.
But ok, lets say Diablo 4 doesn't qualify for a next gen title it's nonetheless a pretty looking game.

Last edited:
Top Bottom