• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Last edited:

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
What, does anyone actually argue that? The characters in Cyberpunk look shit and always have, even by last gen standards. What a bizarre perspective.
It's actually a thing? random Horizon npc's absolutely destroy Cyberpunks main characters

dc50f30aafcf14fd7ea4a1e043d7fe29.gif

Cyberpunk-2077-C-2020-by-CD-Projekt-RED-10-04-2023-6-36-27.jpg

Cyberpunk-2077-C-2020-by-CD-Projekt-RED-10-04-2023-6-48-11.jpg

Cyberpunk-2077-C-2020-by-CD-Projekt-RED-14-04-2023-1-55-02.jpg

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
I’m sorry this is realtime?

I know i said photorealism is possible this Gen but even I’m having trouble believing this is real.

I’ve only seen this on an iPhone screen so maybe it looks worse blown up but wtf. How is an indie dev doing this while big AAA studios can’t even come close to horizon, a last Gen game?
I've watched it like 10 times on my Macbook and nope, still looks incredible.

I have my doubts that some random indie can make this. It looks too good to be true.

BUT if it really does look like this... my god

These are exactly the kind of experiences I was talking about in my "I want 3 hour games" thread. This looks like an EXPERIENCE. I would play this over and over again, it looks very replayable

Last edited:

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons

I know i said photorealism is possible this Gen but even I’m having trouble believing this is real.

I’ve only seen this on an iPhone screen so maybe it looks worse blown up but wtf. How is an indie dev doing this while big AAA studios can’t even come close to horizon, a last Gen game?
It looks even good on a 55inch oled, the camera movement and lighting makes it look photorealistic.

Hunnybun

It's staggering. Funny that there are posters in that thread downplaying the graphics lol.

Tbf it's easy to forget just how incredible the original UE5 demo was on PS5. Geometry and textures were effectively perfect, and lighting pretty damn convincing.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
The more I watch it the more I dont think its possible in real time.

Theres no way some indie devs are doing this.

Comment from YouTube:

I'm hearing it's like a visual novel and you don't actually have input? That you get a list of choices every so often to choose from and then watch how it plays out? Maybe I'm wrong, but seeing this, there's absolutely no way this isn't prerendered in some way. Real time rendering simply can't do anything like this yet.

CGNoire

you're not going to get pixel sharp VDB clouds in real time for quite a while yet. Think of when games first got fog and it was blocky and lower resolution than the game.
Even some cloud solutions for offline rendering look pixellated.
Its the next clear step, and a big jump up from what anyone has done before. pointing out that it's not as good as real life yet is sort of missing the point.

Embergen is a pretty good indicator of where real time clouds, fluids, fire & smoke will end up in a decade. It's first beta versions were low res and blocky - but they ran in real time, and for a lot of uses in VFX more than good enough. The beta came out in 2020, and we're about a full console generation away from hitting that level of quality still.
The generation after that we'll hit the quality they hit with the 1.0 release... and the generation after that we'll probably get their 2.0 level of quality within a game (2.0 is currently in development, but the developer posts snippets a bunch https://twitter.com/vassvik )
Yep this is a significant step up over AC:SU's clouds on PS4. I do think what the person may be commenting on is the fact that the clouds in the preview shown looked pretty shrarp.

Can anyone confirm if they actually released with that quality or did they mislead us again?

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Comment from YouTube:
Probably heard it on gaf -> internet -> gaf unless this guy replies to my comment. I've been following the dev who has been working on it for a while and that's the first time I hear of this.

Still, the look can be aped even if it's not on rails. Like this dude almost did in Dreams of all things.

The devs call it a narrative and tactical FPS likening it to a cross between Firewatch and Ready or Not which would be a gross misrepresentation if it's really on rails in any way (being a very linear and focused game isn't the same thing at all as on rails either). Photogrammetry and motion capture have nothing to do with being on rails, both are commonly used in plenty games out there the last decade (decades in motion capture's case). This thing's clearly not trying to be the next SWAT game with depth to replay forever and ever with co-op, randomized content and new missions but yeah.

Also this older Dreams stuff, imagine it with some lens/motion effects on top to hide the sharpness/imperfections (like the first kinda does just by being lower resolution footage, lol):

Also this game.

Last edited:

CGNoire

You know oddly enough the photoreal look mixed with the pixel blur over the faces makes me think about how Kane and Lynch 2's Camera Shake and Filter made it look damm near photoreal for a brief second here or there. Only difference is here its the flip of that where it only looks fake for a second here or there.

CGNoire

I just watched it on my 65in and it definitly seems to be realtime to me since there is some aliasing artifacts and the staticness of the fully baked lighting is more aparent. Still its clearly not "gameplay" in reguards to someone actually controlling it but it does look to me to be realtime most likely. It makes sense if ya look at BF2015's endor map and think thats 8 years ago and photogrametry when executed properly can clearly produce photoreal results. I do agree that the suprisingly cool factor of this photogrametry footage is the fact that we never really see indoor photogrametry ever. I mean we see individual assets indoors that where scanned but not the entire scene and its lighting scanned. Its quite shocking really.

Last edited:

alloush

It's staggering. Funny that there are posters in that thread downplaying the graphics lol.

Tbf it's easy to forget just how incredible the original UE5 demo was on PS5. Geometry and textures were effectively perfect, and lighting pretty damn convincing.
Dude, some posters in that thread really made me cringe, like literally the second poster analyzed the shit out of the graphics to the point where he was literally analyzing the furniture. If this does not look good enough to these guys I dunno what will.

alloush

It's just scanned lighting and textures with some camera fx. It's a particularly straightforward thing to make look real and he's doing a fantastic job.
It's not 'putting AAA devs to shame' lol
It doesn't matter what technique he is using or what method or how he is achieving this, what matters is the end result and the end result looks much better than any AAA game out there today. So in essence, he is kinda putting these AAA devs to shame.

Neilg

It doesn't matter what technique he is using or what method or how he is achieving this, what matters is the end result and the end result looks much better than any AAA game out there today. So in essence, he is kinda putting these AAA devs to shame.
Well it's kind of like saying a guy that built a really nice chair out of wood is putting another guy to shame - but the other guy built an entire house, just the chairs in it weren't as nice.

SlimySnake

Precisely. If I was an AAA dev working at Naughty Dog, Insomniac, EA, Respawn, and all the other devs who have created these so-called next gen only games that dont even look as good as last gen games like Horizon and Cyberpunk, and then i see one dev make something so photorealistic, I'd quit my job and go work as a plumber. Like dont these guys have any standards? Any pride in what they do? I think we need to straight up shame these devs because Matrix was almost 2 years ago, the first UE5 PS5 demo was 3 years ago, and no one is even coming close. Even if this demo is fake, what we've seen from game devs this gen is just a shocking display of laziness, ineptitude, lack of ambition, and yes skill.

People were dismissing Star Wars Survivor because its not UE5. You dont need UE5 to produce next gen visuals. You can find dozens of demos on youtube where UE4 is being used to produce photorealistic visuals. The devs are just coasting because we've put them on a pedestal and calling them out either gets people cancelled for lazy devs rhetoric or if they are first party devs, fanboyism.

SlimySnake

lol They released a PR note to address concerns about it being a scam. The video has 12 million views on twitter in just under 24 hours. Thats more than any blockbuster game reveal in the last year or so.

This is such a scam lol.

FuKF9eRX0AArzfy

Neilg

Any pride in what they do?

lol they're environment artists who make their environments from scratch. This is a huge step down for them.
going out and taking photos of an old building, throwing it at reality capture, letting it process for 24 hours and then dumping the resulting model in UE is just not very interesting to most people. The lighting is overcast and soft so you dont even need to create complex shaders. It looks 'real' but then every single video game environment becomes limited to a direct 1:1 copy of a place that already exists in the real world.
It looks good, but games are not made with those kinds of restrictions in mind.
Everyone loves to complain about camera distortion effects too but they dont realize how 'real' it can make things look. Every AAA game cant now become a hand held camera simulation, everyone bitches and moans when theres a bit of glow on bright objects and softening.

The same thing happens in CG rendering communities - someone posts a scene, and it looks great, and everyone is really impressed, but then they show the wires and it turns out to be a giant single photo scan where they've done fuckall work to it beyond dropping in a camera and a HDRI.
In AAA games the end result of any given scene is not the most important thing - the flexibility of the end result is. Can we change this and modify it after playtesting, make the door opening wider, shift the flow of the level etc. Everything is under a constant push and pull. Also think of games like spiderman where they have to create a city that feels like NYC - but near every building in NYC is copyrighted, and they have to make a version that sort of looks like every major landmark it but isn't it. Think of GTA and the cars. Any open world and how the scale has to be compressed and reduced for a game to work. All of those things take a full photo-scanned game off the table. You cant make AAA games entirely using this technique.
Artists who's entire portfolio is just photoscanned objects with zero custom work will not get a job in the industry as a lead artist - they'll be relegated to a photoscan pipeline before handing the models to the art team who can made new things from them.

For this game, and for a small developer, this approach is perfect - the technical overhead on creating these super detailed environments is minimal. It's not a scam. that's just what photo scanning looks like.

You can try it yourself. Get a decent camera and lock the white balance, and with zero prior knowledge you'll be able to scan an exterior, export to UE, drop overcast lighting on, download a blueprint for a fisheye distorted camera, and load up a high contrast LUT.
https://www.capturingreality.com/
It's genuinely not that mindblowing a process. What is clever is they're leaning into the limits of photoscanning and the game they're making is the perfect fit for the technique.

edit: lol they've even got a mobile version now
https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/realityscan

Last edited:

Alexios

So many armchair game devs here (and on the poor guy's twitter and youtube) trying to tear down an indie dev for zero reason. If it releases it releases, dude has been showing stuff before even having a name but not even since that long ago to think they should either finish it tomorrow to shut you up or get the scam stamp. I don't understand what part of "it's a linear narrative FPS like Firewatch x Ready or Not" people find overly ambitious or whatever, it's not like they promise the second coming of an AAA SWAT, endlessly replayable with dozens of missions and the deepest gameplay with destructible environments to beat Rainbow Six Siege and set pieces to rival Uncharted or whatever, out of their first game or anything of the sort but just a focused linear adventure FPS. It's especially pathetic to see other developers try to tear them down with absurd bs like this.

Like, no, someone even found one of the asset packs used here, of course it's not real body cam footage, wtf, are you all blind? Also this other indie horror game using some similar techniques and this older clip from this game I posted before.

Others get hung up on the smallest things like the deatched free aim which Operation Flashpoint did aeons ago and ARMA probably still does just cos it doesn't fit your average COD type fast paced action FPS so most games don't do it because it's not intuitive or conductive to their gameplay.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Can we go back to pre-rendered backgrounds? REM4KE looks great and all but RE0 came out in 2001 on a potato.

Resident-Evil-0-HD-feature.jpg

4a1116eb-06c5-4ace-a9ce-77a3f87c15c9.png

1aa6b8226496da76eb0bebaf3c2ab25a.jpg

31.jpg
Fixed camera angles yes prerendered backgrounds no. We have the hardware capability to make games that look better than thet in real time. Not to mention it'd be easier for developers to implement.

How much better does modern cgi look to make prerendered backgrounds in 2023 worth it

Last edited:

lestar

I hope that's true - if that's misleading in any way, the denizens of the internet are gonna eat him alive.
The more I see this footage, the more imperfections I find that reveal this is a video game. look at 1:24 and see the steel kegs, you can see the polygon edges, low res textures and clipping

Precisely. If I was an AAA dev working at Naughty Dog, Insomniac, EA, Respawn, and all the other devs who have created these so-called next gen only games that dont even look as good as last gen games like Horizon and Cyberpunk, and then i see one dev make something so photorealistic, I'd quit my job and go work as a plumber. Like dont these guys have any standards? Any pride in what they do? I think we need to straight up shame these devs because Matrix was almost 2 years ago, the first UE5 PS5 demo was 3 years ago, and no one is even coming close. Even if this demo is fake, what we've seen from game devs this gen is just a shocking display of laziness, ineptitude, lack of ambition, and yes skill.

People were dismissing Star Wars Survivor because its not UE5. You dont need UE5 to produce next gen visuals. You can find dozens of demos on youtube where UE4 is being used to produce photorealistic visuals. The devs are just coasting because we've put them on a pedestal and calling them out either gets people cancelled for lazy devs rhetoric or if they are first party devs, fanboyism.
People don’t want to hear it but it’s because the whiny ass 60FPS crowd won. All those devs you named and their underwhelming next Gen games? 60FPS modes.

If the PS4 had the same 60fps or the bitch ass gaming community cried for days and declared you should be fired and they’d boycott you, we’d have never gotten the shadow fall moment. No second son. No driveclub. No order 1886. No uncharted 4. No days gone. No last guardian. No nothing. Just sharper PS3 games. And what have most games been this gen? Sharper PS4 games.

Last edited:

alloush

Well it's kind of like saying a guy that built a really nice chair out of wood is putting another guy to shame - but the other guy built an entire house, just the chairs in it weren't as nice.
I'm sorry Neilg but that analogy didn't make an iota of sense. But I think I get your point.

These devs need to be shamed as you mentioned, the funny thing is, if they don't release games with high fps they will also be shamed, so damned if they did and damned if they didn't lol which makes me sometimes feel bad for them. But the majority are straight up lazy. Just today I was thinking about how we do not have proper next gen games when I fired up my ps5. I mean yeah there are some pretty good games out there right now but nothing screams next gen and I am not speaking from a graphical point of view mind you, but also in terms of animations, physics, AI, storytelling, game design etc. Devs are just phoning it in nowadays and relying on marketing to do the job of hyping up their game and getting the masses to buy them.

Would you believe me if I told you I haven't played HFW or GOW:Ragnarok yet? I just don't feel the urge to do so, I am however hella excited for Spiderman 2. I just hope that hype doesn't die down though.

SlimySnake

People don’t want to hear it but it’s because the whiny ass 60FPS crowd won. All those devs you named and their underwhelming next Gen games? 60FPS modes.

If the PS4 had the same 60fps or the bitch ass gaming community cried for days and declared you should be fired and they’d boycott you, we’d have never gotten the shadow fall moment. No second son. No driveclub. No order 1886. No uncharted 4. No days gone. No last guardian. No nothing. Just sharper PS3 games. And what have most games been this gen? Sharper PS4 games.
Yeah, 60 fps crowd is part of the problem. I think Bluepoint specifically said they targeted 60 fps from day one. As if its a no go to have a 30 fps game when they are remastering a beloved 20-30 fps game themselves lol.

However, lets face it, these devs are lazy and unambitious. They are only targeting 60 fps because they dont want to upgrade their engines to handle physics, next gen graphics, code new AI routines, etc. Stig, the director of GOW3 and Star Wars Fallen Order said that they had the opportunity to work on UE5 but chose not to because it was still in development. But Epic had already released the first PS5 demo by the time dev on this game started. The devs just didnt want to give themselves extra work and ended up handicapping themselves. The animations being literally identical just proves this. You dont need UE5 to enhance animations. You need a mocap studio and some animators and maybe some extra GPU power and VRAM to handle the extra processing load. They just chose not to do it because they are lazy. 60 fps came automatically because they made zero effort to increase visual fidelity.

alloush

So many armchair game devs here (and on the poor guy's twitter and youtube) trying to tear down an indie dev for zero reason. If it releases it releases, dude has been showing stuff before even having a name but not even since that long ago to think they should either finish it tomorrow to shut you up or get the scam stamp. I don't understand what part of "it's a linear narrative FPS like Firewatch x Ready or Not" people find overly ambitious or whatever, it's not like they promise the second coming of an AAA SWAT, endlessly replayable with dozens of missions and the deepest gameplay with destructible environments to beat Rainbow Six Siege and set pieces to rival Uncharted or whatever, out of their first game or anything of the sort but just a focused linear adventure FPS. It's especially pathetic to see other developers try to tear them down with absurd bs like this.

Like, no, someone even found one of the asset packs used here, of course it's not real body cam footage, wtf, are you all blind? Also this other indie horror game using some similar techniques and this older clip from this game I posted before.

Others get hung up on the smallest things like the deatched free aim which Operation Flashpoint did aeons ago and ARMA probably still does just cos it doesn't fit your average COD type fast paced action FPS so most games don't do it because it's not intuitive or conductive to their gameplay.

I am confused, does this Alexandre guy work on that Paranormal Tales game? are these the same?

Alexios

I am confused, does this Alexandre guy work on that Paranormal Tales game? are these the same?
No he works on Unrecord (which wasn't named at the time of the last tweet - which was the first tweet about it). Paranormal Tales is a whole different studio and game to the Unrecord FPS every idiot thinks is fake. I was linking to the replies here but the embed adds what they reply to on top.

Last edited:
Yeah, 60 fps crowd is part of the problem. I think Bluepoint specifically said they targeted 60 fps from day one. As if its a no go to have a 30 fps game when they are remastering a beloved 20-30 fps game themselves lol.

However, lets face it, these devs are lazy and unambitious. They are only targeting 60 fps because they dont want to upgrade their engines to handle physics, next gen graphics, code new AI routines, etc. Stig, the director of GOW3 and Star Wars Fallen Order said that they had the opportunity to work on UE5 but chose not to because it was still in development. But Epic had already released the first PS5 demo by the time dev on this game started. The devs just didnt want to give themselves extra work and ended up handicapping themselves. The animations being literally identical just proves this. You dont need UE5 to enhance animations. You need a mocap studio and some animators and maybe some extra GPU power and VRAM to handle the extra processing load. They just chose not to do it because they are lazy. 60 fps came automatically because they made zero effort to increase visual fidelity.
Yeah I watched a DF interview with some bluepoint devs and they were virtue signaling this weird trendy 60FPS boner to show like “haha yeah gamers we love 60fps just like you please like us!” They were talking like 30fps is just disgusting. Almost like if it couldve only been 60fps they’d have not even put in a fidelity mode. Just… weird.

Now to be fair DS is one of the best games I’ve ever seen. And the flamelurker boss arena is in a class by itself along with rift apart world switching and burning shores cloud soaring as the most next Gen things I’ve ever seen but still. How much better could these all have looked without 60fps modes.

Last edited:
I'm sorry Neilg but that analogy didn't make an iota of sense. But I think I get your point.

These devs need to be shamed as you mentioned, the funny thing is, if they don't release games with high fps they will also be shamed, so damned if they did and damned if they didn't lol which makes me sometimes feel bad for them. But the majority are straight up lazy. Just today I was thinking about how we do not have proper next gen games when I fired up my ps5. I mean yeah there are some pretty good games out there right now but nothing screams next gen and I am not speaking from a graphical point of view mind you, but also in terms of animations, physics, AI, storytelling, game design etc. Devs are just phoning it in nowadays and relying on marketing to do the job of hyping up their game and getting the masses to buy them.

Would you believe me if I told you I haven't played HFW or GOW:Ragnarok yet? I just don't feel the urge to do so, I am however hella excited for Spiderman 2. I just hope that hype doesn't die down though.
Ding ding ding ding. We have a winner. Another man who understands you can’t have it both ways. You can’t really have generational leaps and 60fps mode.

Buuuuut I will say the burning shores flying through clouds, the rift apart world swapping, and a good amount of demon souls arenas were VERY next gen to me. Maybe just a liiiiiittle bit higher and I’d be fully satisfied. If they can do that at 60fps then great but I have my doubts.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion

Unrecord - Press Kit (2023) DRAMA© – Disk Google K then

Hunnybun

I will never get over people who claim to like graphics not wanting to move on from 30fps. Maybe they just don't see what I see, but 30fps in motion, to me, looks SHIT in basically every instance. *Especially* when you start to get much more lively worlds with destruction and good animation, lots of explosions and particles etc, all that's basically worthless at 30fps.

I just don't get it. 4k is a legitimate complaint and a ridiculous luxury. A decent frame rate (at the very least 40fps) is really just non-negotiable for me now in terms of delivering good visuals.

Hunnybun

Ding ding ding ding. We have a winner. Another man who understands you can’t have it both ways. You can’t really have generational leaps and 60fps mode.

Buuuuut I will say the burning shores flying through clouds, the rift apart world swapping, and a good amount of demon souls arenas were VERY next gen to me. Maybe just a liiiiiittle bit higher and I’d be fully satisfied. If they can do that at 60fps then great but I have my doubts.

From what I've seen 1080p or so plus FSR is enough for reasonable IQ and clarity.

Personally I'd be happy with that res and 45fps+ with VRR. That should definitely be enough for significantly more than R&C at 1440p with RT at 75fps.

Seems to me the REAL problem is the lack of more proper next gen only games.

From what I've seen 1080p or so plus FSR is enough for reasonable IQ and clarity.

Personally I'd be happy with that res and 45fps+ with VRR. That should definitely be enough for significantly more than R&C at 1440p with RT at 75fps.

Seems to me the REAL problem is the lack of more proper next gen only games.
Oh yeah that’s the main problem. Having so little.

But see I don’t think devs will do what you’re saying. I think we’ll continue to get 4K 60FPS targets and ours games will continue to look “alright.” I hope to god starfield or Spider-Man 2 can buck this trend.

Top Bottom