• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

GymWolf

Gold Member
The only thing i found mindblowing in gears 5 was the 60 fps on console tbh and that famous and only pic of jc close up that everyone post to prove that g5 had incredible graphic, and i played the thing maxed out on pc, tbf the game bored me to tears so i only played like 2 acts...

Always thought days gone was the better looking ue4 game if you consider that it is open world and has way more shit on screen at any given time, the fidelity was as good as anything inside g5.

But sure, g6 is probably gonna be a relatively small game with ue5 so they have a chance, on the other hand you can't make gears as static as hb2 so they can't make perfect, untouchable assets for everything, usually destructible stuff looks worse.

But we were robbed of dg2 made in ue5...

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Betcha gears 6 beats it

Gears 5 was mind blowing and the team did it on a base XB1

I don't think Gears 6 will have this level of fidelity, cause all insiders say that they're focusing on performance first.

But it's still gonna be pretty good, going just by Coalition's track-record.

This demo from The Coalition using UE5 is over 2 years old. The engine has matured a lot and improved enough for 60fps Lumen and Nanite on consoles since this.

Last edited:

ChiefDada

Gold Member
That said I think we are a world away from the examples you used in your OP which are offline rendered with 100x the time and power being used for every single frame..

this
JsubuPB.jpg

vs

E19rv_IWUAUf4Ro.jpg

This isn't something that takes a machine that's 10x more powerful than a PS4, we would be lucky to do it on one that's 10x strong than a 3090 I think you underestimate the vast gulf between the two but If you really think the visual difference between them isn't that big I can't disagree with something that subjective. But this may be a case where something you see as a slight improvement like getting hair like that could take atleast an extra PS5 worth of power.

Nah.

Hopefully, in 4 years I get a game that lets me ecstatically admit I'm wrong, but I feel like it will be a repeat of TLOU2 where everyone says it looks like real life while I'm waiting for next gen.

You got it in less than 3.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Love, Death and Robots - Offline CG render (2019)

JsubuPB.jpg

-

Senua's Saga: Hellblade 2 - Real-time in UE5 (2024)

M66GHwu.png
The hairs are the biggest difference, hairs in hb2 are very similar to hfw (even down to how they are reunited together to save performances) but less fuzzy, at least for senua.

I don't know how fifa games are still leaps and bounds better than any other game.

Last edited:

RaduN

Hellblade look great in pics and overall is really really detailed, but in terms of cinematography is really really amateur. I was honestly expecting much more from this. The devs seem to lack any kind of knowledge regarding the use of dof with an actual film camera, and the framing in (too many) scenes is way too uuninspired and bland.

Another thing that really doesn't impress me at all, are the facial animations. They are not great. For as great as the characters look in pics, that super detailed skin and all, they kinda fall apart in motion.

I must be a blind fuck, seeing how everyone praises the hell out of this game.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Hellblade look great in pics and overall is really really detailed, but in terms of cinematography is really really amateur. I was honestly expecting much more from this. The devs seem to lack any kind of knowledge regarding the use of dof with an actual film camera, and the framing in (too many) scenes is way too uuninspired and bland.

Another thing that really doesn't impress me at all, are the facial animations. They are not great. For as great as the characters look in pics, that super detailed skin and all, they kinda fall apart in motion.

Facial animations always looked inferior to tlou2 to me, mostly because she seem to ham and overact the shit out of everything, haven't seen much from the men tho.

Ellie reaction to joel telling the truth in tlou2 is still the best piece of digital acting ever made.

RaduN

Ellie reaction to joel telling the truth in tlou2 is still the best piece of digital acting ever made.
I personally don't think it compares to DieHardMan's confession. That's beyond mind blowing.
But it it's a good piece of more subtle facial mo-cap, way better than, as you well put it, overacted Hellblade scenes.

GymWolf

Gold Member
GTA 6 will revolutionize the hair rendering on console
Gta6 is gonna be a whole other beast compared to hb2, like the absolute opposite.

No ue5 goodness but it's gonna blow the fuck out of hb2 for everything else.

The fifa games are pretty close to what gta6 showed.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
I personally don't think it compares to DieHardMan's confession. That's beyond mind blowing.
But it it's a good piece of more subtle facial mo-cap, way better than, as you well put it, overacted Hellblade scenes.
I think diehard dude was also a bit overacted, the dogshit, cringe script doesn't help any actor in that game and i can't manage to separate the 2 things :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Ellie part was just her reacting with her face without even saying anything, i'm talking about when she gasp and start having a panic attack because joel saved her ungrateful, worthless ass.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

the framing will always be uneven because like most games nowadays they are doing a one camera take where the camera has to travel around the level like a person. it is retarded and should be banned from both films and movies.

Animations are also uneven but thats because the actress overacts. game needed a more subtle performance. the tech here is solid as you can see in 1943.

Last edited:

DanielG165

it is retarded and should be banned from both films and movies.
Eh, it’s artistically interesting and compelling when used well, and the structure of a film marries together with the technique well. I love myself a good one take, always have since I got really into filmmaking and photography. It’s a very complex and difficult process to pull off behind the scenes, and I can’t imagine how
much work it must be to execute it in a video game format. For tighter, more intimate narrative experiences like HB2, and God of War 2018, the one shot technique works really well.

For a game like God of War: Ragnarok, which is supposed to be much larger and more ambitious in scope and scale, it feels forced and unnecessary. It all depends on the narrative and structure. For instance, the movie “Birdman” wouldn’t have been as effective without the one take aspect.

Last edited:
Well this forum seems adequately pleased with HB2 and has been sucking its dick for a few pages now! Which is good!

Now the question is, what’s the next game to match or dare I say exceed HB2? GTA6? ND new ip? The captain America game?

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Well this forum seems adequately pleased with HB2 and has been sucking its dick for a few pages now! Which is good!

Now the question is, what’s the next game to match or dare I say exceed HB2? GTA6? ND new ip? The captain America game?
Maybe something from the sony event?

It's fucking time for sony to show something nextgen because now M has the graphic crown.

I don't trust sucker punch, insomniac and housemarque to deliver nextgen goodness, santa monica hasn't been top 3 in a fucking while, slimy "the ignoring one", said that bend bleeded all the talent so we can cut them from the lists aswell.

What do we have left? ND, guerrilla, bluepoint and what else? oh death stranding 2, i forgot about that, but from the trailer it doesn't look as detailed as hb2 nor as full of stuff as gta6, but it's gonna be the next iteration of decima engine so i'm at least curious, it's gonna be a sneak peek into horizon 3 most probably.

Third party wise, i guess the max payne remasters are gonna be pretty fucking good, maybe we get a trailer for witcher 4, maybe we get some gameplay for fable or a trailer for gears 6, those are the big ones.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Yes. 100% real time, the camera isn't this close to her, I moved it closer. You have full camera control during scenes too.
Someone in here or the ot said that the ingame model is kinda like nd games where it lose some details here and there and they don't look EXACTLY like in the cutscenes.

I saw some pics but the quality wasn't good enough to judge.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Someone in here or the ot said that the ingame model is kinda like nd games where it lose some details here and there and they don't look EXACTLY like in the cutscenes.

I saw some pics but the quality wasn't good enough to judge.

The in-game model loses a little bit of the detail but is pretty close. I can't replicate the face paint, that's a very scene specific thing.

R3ytx3o.jpeg

RaduN

I think the models have the same everything between gameplay and cutscenes, except for the amount/variety of post processing effects, which kick in heavily in cutscenes.

JCreasy

Agreed.

The good news is that Skydance is making great use of the 3Lateral's 4D ML rig and the facial animations for 1943 are looking fucking SPECTACULAR!

Last edited:
Maybe something from the sony event?

It's fucking time for sony to show something nextgen because now M has the graphic crown.

I don't trust sucker punch, insomniac and housemarque to deliver nextgen goodness, santa monica hasn't been top 3 in a fucking while, slimy "the ignoring one", said that bend bleeded all the talent so we can cut them from the lists aswell.

What do we have left? ND, guerrilla, bluepoint and what else? oh death stranding 2, i forgot about that, but from the trailer it doesn't look as detailed as hb2 nor as full of stuff as gta6, but it's gonna be the next iteration of decima engine so i'm at least curious, it's gonna be a sneak peek into horizon 3 most probably.

Third party wise, i guess the max payne remasters are gonna be pretty fucking good, maybe we get a trailer for witcher 4, maybe we get some gameplay for fable or a trailer for gears 6, those are the big ones.
Woah woah woah I agree with everything you just said except the callous dismissal of sucker punch. Ghost 2 will be a show stopper bro. They ushered in next Gen in 2014 with second son. That was the 2nd holy shit PS4 game after shadow fall. They advanced particles and destructible environments in ways you still don’t see often today. And ghost 1 is a beautiful game. The colors pop like nothing I’ve ever seen and they’re doing some cool stuff under the hood like the mass intractable leaf physics. Something you’d previously only get on high end PC’s with nvidia physx. And their wind simulation that makes every blade of their massive, massive, massive amount of foliage sway and react

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
I havent got the chance to really sit down and play it yet, cuz I didn't have headphones for my Xbox.

I just got some, so tonight I am playing the fuck out of it. ALl I know is from the little I saw, its absolutely the best looking game ever made. period point blank. nothing close.

it is the matrix demo

Last edited:

Lethal01

It's even more hilarious that you're still in denial.
Denial is the best reaction to things that are obviously untrue.

Hellblade looks loke a really good game and I respect the work put into it.
But I don't have any reason to pretend it looks like the CG
people use as an example or to joke that it looks photorealistic.

If you think it does then enjoy it, but don't try to spread your blindness to me.:messenger_grinning_smiling:

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Woah woah woah I agree with everything you just said except the callous dismissal of sucker punch. Ghost 2 will be a show stopper bro. They ushered in next Gen in 2014 with second son. That was the 2nd holy shit PS4 game after shadow fall. They advanced particles and destructible environments in ways you still don’t see often today. And ghost 1 is a beautiful game. The colors pop like nothing I’ve ever seen and they’re doing some cool stuff under the hood like the mass intractable leaf physics. Something you’d previously only get on high end PC’s with nvidia physx. And their wind simulation that makes every blade of their massive, massive, massive amount of foliage sway and react
I've had literally played tsushima in my ps5 for the past 4-5 days, The strong art design and use of colors is what make tsushima great, but imo graphically it's the weakest out of all the best sony open worlds on ps4, the overall textures in the locations, the water, the lack of physics\destruction of any kind (the game doesn't even have fucking ragdoll and still use precanned death animations like a 8bit game for fuck sake), the faces, the stiff digital acting, cutscene direction etc.
It shares a lot of flaws with zero dawn, but you also have forbidden west that has a ps4 version that looks miles better than zero dawn so...

The leaf physics is pretty basic, i think rdr2, tlou2 and some others have better interactions when you touch the grass with your feet\body, the game doens't have physics for a lot of stuff and you just pass through without any reaction, the game is nowhere near the interaction of an rdr2, and the wind stuff was debunked as just a "simple" pattern, i think we had a discussion about this years ago but i'm not sure, i could be wrong on this one, it looks great because you can direct the wind and because of the art design, but it's technically not that impressive, wind blowind stuff has been a thing for a while, tsushima just has massive fields of flowers all reunited on the ground with those vivid colors so it looked super good, but the tech behind is pretty simple\basic, i think zelda botw on a fucking tablet has better wind and grass physics than tsushima because it also effect stuff like fire or smoke, like it's a well coded wind tech that looks great but i need more than wind tech to be impressed in 2025 possibly 2026, i don't know what engine they use, but i need a huge jump in fidelity from them.

I expect spiderman 2 level of graphic but with a much striking art design that is make the game punch above his weight.

Second son looked great for the times but the destruction was just ok and the major destruction was just focused on the black bridges and black structures of the enemies, it was good but hardly mindblowing if you consider stuff like the red faction games or even stuff like stan lee stronghold or mercenaries 2, i have like 5 runs on that game, i'm a huge infamous fanboy but it was rough in more than one aspect, the main characters models have aged terribly,especially the faces, way more than shadowfall models that was a launch game (i guess they were both launch games tbh)

The particle system was great, i don't think it's still the top dog today after a couple of years where devs just flexed their asses by putting a lot of particles in every fucking game, but when you suck the neon from a source is still so good to see even today.

I don't think sucker punch is on the level of modern guerrila or the ND that made tlou2 when it comes to graphic, happy to be disproved of course, i think they are a bit lower than insomniac and santa monica but we are splitting hairs.

Last edited:
Denial is the best reaction to things that are obviously untrue.

Hellblade looks loke a really good game and I respect the work put into it.
But I don't have any reason to pretend it looks like the CG
people use as an example or to joke that it looks photorealistic.

If you think it does then enjoy it, but don't try to spread your blindness to me.
You don’t think that marvel 1943 looks like cgi from a few years ago?

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
you are not getting that filmic almost cg look without those effects. it looks very gamey in that video.

i can promise you marvel 1943 wont look as nice without the same post processing effects.

PC gamers love to turn off all the shit that makes these games look amazing. like people really hate motion blur for some reason. imagine killzone 2 without motion blur. in fact, i think kz2 was the first game i can remember that reallly went ham on post processing effects. even ND and Ninja Theory didnt adapt them until later. KZ2 had that distinct look and that insane 184 ms input lag because of all those post processing effects.

34148.gif

At the end of the day, i want to play what the devs intended. im glad they stuck to their vision and didnt add the option to remove it. or add a 60 fps mode. imagine if the devs had added a 60 fps mode on the xsx. the game would be running at 540p and it would look like shit and yet everyone would play it at that framerate wondering why the game doesnt look as good as the trailers.
Actually, people don't HATE motion blur in video games. They actually seem to hate simulated motion blur produced by the game itself and not the motion blur that naturally comes from lots of frames being smushed together

u can tell because there was this tweet talking about the recent Zelda Majora's mask PC port, this guy managed to run it at 360fps. The high framerate produced a natural looking motion blur that many people found super pleasing and beautiful to look at

That being said it's super impractical and currently impossible to render demanding games at 360fps with any GPU in the current state of the art, even with a 4090

For people who played the order 1886 - was LOU2 better looking in every respect? Cus that would give me hope
Yes, but The Orders environments have this CGI look that most games in existence don’t have at all. When I first played the Order 1886 I thought it was a CGI cutscene until I touched the controller and realized I could move it, my jaw dropped…

JCreasy

So this game might actually be possible… is it going to be a hellblade 2 type interactive movie tho?

I'd be shocked if Amy were satisfied with that. She'll expect more to deliver a holistic gaming experience.

And look: Hellblade 2 isn't performing well sales-wise. So their decision-making there may act as a bit of a cautionary tale.

The lesson: you need compelling gameplay alongside groundbreaking visuals.

GooseMan69

Hellblade 2 looks amazing but i really didn't know why ninja theory go with black bars and unneeded effects while their game can look like this video with 1kb .ini file

For me, this is definitive proof that it looks way better with all the post processing effects. It loses a lot of its magic when that stuff is turned off. It just looks a regular video game. A good looking video game, but that’s all. I said it before, but I absolutely love the softer look it has. I wish more devs went for that, but everyone is obsessed with producing the “cleanest” image possible these days.

Top Bottom