• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gravitational waves felt from black-hole merger 3 billion light-years away

Mohonky

Holy shit...

Basically our time doesn't apply to black holes, is that it?

This is so weird and fascinating.

The real noodle scratcher for me is what happens in the singularity, or the center of a bkack hole. Time and space being how we perceive time and the speed at which we move through it changing our perception of events, in a singularity where time and space is crushed into one infinite loop, you wouls essentially exist in a point where everything that has ever happen or will ever happen occurs in one singular moment.

Kind of makes me wonder about whethwr such a thing as free will actually exists.

Venture

I HIGHLY recommend watching this video to get a sense of just how absurdly small this measurement is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iphcyNWFD10
That's what seems so amazing about this to me.
During the last frantic moments of the merger, they were shedding more energy in the form of gravitational waves than all the stars in the observable universe.
Gravitational waves are incredibly weak yet the collision still manages to output that kind of gravitational energy.

The same channel just put out a video on this latest event.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVKO7UCIlgs

I didn't know about this. But why?

I need to learn more about this.

You know how the outer circumference of a record makes the same number of revolutions per second as the inner circumference? Thus, it must be traveling faster. When you're standing on a mountain, you're on the edge of the record -- you're moving faster than if you were at sea level. As we all know, the faster you move, the slower time goes.

troll physics/Calvin of Calvin and Hobbes physics

akira28

its almost like the void and the stars really are just a superficial medium of gas and dust and the real dynamic stuff is beneath all that, churning power that we can't even imagine. and those gravity waves and all that power, who knows what it does when it goes where it goes?

bsp

Okay, that makes more sense. The whole eternal suffering thing seemed pretty bunk lol

It's important to keep in mind that the weird effects of general relativity (and relativity in general) only come from comparing clocks/reference frames. As an observer locked inside your body everything will seem normal in your experience of time. You pass through that edge without a hitch (well you'd also be dead) but since we only see things by light reflecting we cannot see you pass through as the light that is reflecting off your body is stuck in the gravity well of the black hole as well. The last bit of reflected light you were giving off before crossing the event horizon will be red-shifted until it falls out of the visible spectrum and you disappear from view (like a fade).

Xe4

Banned
I understand/knew all of this for sure.

I don't remember really why the minus (physics is not my major but I had some classes because engineering)

Now this is where you lost me. Metric sensor is not an unknown name to me but the rest, I have no clue ahah

But thanks for the explanation. I shall dig deeper into this when I have the time.

It's actually not too bad. The only hard part is conceptually. It's an application of special relativity which the highest math you need is trig, so pretty easy.

Actually getting into general relativity is much, much more difficult because that requires applying differential geometry and tensor calculus which is hard AF. I'm a upper level physics undergrad and still working my way through a tensor analysis course not understanding 90% of it, haha.

bsp

It's actually not too bad. The only hard part is conceptually. It's an application of special relativity which the highest math you need is trig, so pretty easy.

Actually getting into general relativity is much, much more difficult because that requires applying differential geometry and tensor calculus which is hard AF. I'm a upper level physics undergrad and still working my way through a tensor analysis course not understanding 90% of it, haha.

The levels of joy and wonder from first reading about general relativity are almost equal to the crushing pains of realizing you will never understand it until a couple of grad classes, if even then. :(

Eccocid

Thanks for the explanation. So forward time travel is possible but not backward i.e it was BS in movies :p

Both of these makes sense and I did knew about the ISS space station example. So if these guys in space are near a strong gravity mass, which will obviously pull them inside, but if they can somehow avoid it, they will experience time slower than the outside world.

From what i understand, let's say you have a vehicle for time travel and you spend let's say 2 hours in it to go 20 years back. As you can see you move forward in time 2 hours. So logically it makes it impossible to go back in time when you spend time to travel. even if it is 0,00000001 seconds you still spend time. Nothing would be instant in universe i guess so there won't be like going back in time without spending any time.

But yeah going to future sounds more logical by speeding up yourself or slowing down whichever it was.

WaterAstro

Space is not amazing. It's just full of death.

A Gamma Ray Burst already made Earth extinct. A moving black hole will destroy Earth.

dabig2

So coooool.

And these are stellar mass black holes. The energy released by two supermassive black holes merging would dwarf this by many, many orders of magnitude. It's crazy how the real world is far more insane than most fiction.

I wish we could all be around when Andromeda's supermassive black hole merges with our Milky Way's. Now that would be quite the event. Whoever (whatever) is measuring gravitational waves in several billion years will be in for quite the treat.

That is quite literally mind boggling. Even with the numbers and the videos and such to emphasize the scale my head can't really wrap itself around how small this is.

That's what she said.

akira28

Space is not amazing. It's just full of death.

A Gamma Ray Burst already made Earth extinct. A moving black hole will destroy Earth.

literally everything will kill us. Our only defense is that we're just so insignificant, clinging to this tiny rock crumb in space.

and an orbital shield and servicable space colonization programmes.

Correct.

However, is it not theoretically possible to survive much longer passing the horizon should the black hole be considerably larger? My understanding is that smaller black holes are actually incredibly more dangerous when approaching their singularities because there's less time approaching theirs as compared to those in supermassive black holes.

Could a person not survive being torn to shreds, then, if the black hole was massive enough to make the transition from the horizon to the singularity predictably smooth?

Edit: I also wrote "event horizon" earlier. LOL

Correct. A large black hole is not quite so dangerous because the event horizon is far from the singularity and it would take some time for the tidal forces to rip you apart, whereas in a smaller black hole you would feel it inmediately.

As somebody mentioned, passing through the Event Horizon is not really that important, of course you could survive (though I think the temperature of a black hole is very close to absolute zero), though eventually when you get closer to the singularity you would still be ripped apart.

Not even black holes can escape black holes.

That power must be so immense. Its so hard to try and imagine what that would look like in real time. Ive always wondered what goes on inside a black hole. Some crazy fuckery must happen inside them when they merge.

Top Bottom