• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Great character redesigns

Tookay

Twilight Princess Link, specially coming from WW, which some people disliked.

TP Link is the best Link design in all the games period, adult, toon, or kid.

The modifications to him in Brawl, Smash 4, and the Wii U tech demo are even better.

h596f17.jpg

+1 for Ratchet. I remember thinking Ratchet looked creepy when the PS2 games first came out, with his knobby hands... even supporting characters looked a bit weird.

The PS3 redesign is cute and appealing, as are all the character designs.

Pretty much the poster boy for great redesigns

I know I'm not supposed to like that mess of belts and zippers, but I do. I like a lot of Kingdom Hearts designs, actually.

Pit is a recent favorite, and Link's artwork in the new Super Smash Bros. looks great (although his in-game model leaves a lot to be desired).

sn00zer

I know I'm not supposed to like that mess of belts and zippers, but I do. I like a lot of Kingdom Hearts designs, actually.
I think Kingdom Hearts 2 has the best overall character designs from the PS2 era......individual characters like Wander maybe be better, but the complete cast of KH2 sure is a site see

popyea

TP Link is the best Link design in all the games period, adult, toon, or kid.

The modifications to him in Brawl, Smash 4, and the Wii U tech demo are even better.

You can't call him TP link. He has a completely different face. That's some new shit altogether.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Prince of Persia

prince-of-persia-the-sands-of-time-character-art.jpg

to

prince-of-persia2008.jpg

Still love that look.

Also, I want to give a firm HELL NO to the fox above. I despise the Command artstyle.

Tookay

You can't call him TP link. He has a completely different face. That's some new shit altogether.

They very clearly take from Twilight Princess's artwork, if not necessarily his in-game model. I don't see how you can claim otherwise.

SAZ2vCB.jpg

I think Kingdom Hearts 2 has the best overall character designs from the PS2 era......individual characters like Wander maybe be better, but the complete cast of KH2 sure is a site see
I liked the re-imagining of existing characters in the style of the Kingdom Hearts universe. It's just a cool, consistent style. I didn't really like Riku's look at the end of Kingdom Hearts II, but his Dream Drop Distance design was pretty cool. I'm excited to see new designs in Kingdom Hearts III, but I'm sure it'll be too long of a wait.

I think Final Fantasy XV looks great as well, despite the transition to a more realistic, modern world. But this is beginning to focus more on praising Nomura's designs rather than re-designs.

The artwork for TP looks okay, but it's one of the weaker cartoon inspired Japanese games when translated to 3D models in the game.

Not Dante.

I agree.

Well, time to get the hate started.

Yuji Uekawa's Dreamcast redesign for SA2 was the best design for Sonic since his classic look (not the garbage mohawk/buzzsaw American/EU classic, but that Japanese Sonic CD-ish classic style)

He managed to capture everything represented in the older styles and amped it up with more character. Plus those SOAPS were dope as fuck.

Sad they went back to the old school buckle shoes afterwords tho. (Not to mention Heroes designs were ugly as fuck and CG is just....just....... so uncool.)

Also Classic Mega Man.

I loved all 5 (7+) of his redesigns.

rockman3drwilynosaigoco.jpg

I like new Banjo-Kazooie more than old Banjo-Kazooie. I like the move to more square features on Banjo (look how awkward Banjo's hands look in the old versions) and the clear seperation of feathers on Kazooie looks great. In-game the N64 models looked fine though, it is just the CG artwork that looks bad.
I personally like Conker's redesign for Live & Reloaded. Not a huge overhaul of his design but they added green shorts and a darker blue jacket with strings.
I don't hate the redesign but I feel like the original looks more like a Saturday morning cartoon and the best part about the game was how raunchy, gross, and gory it deviated from that facade.

The biggest issue with the redesign isn't present in an image though. Conker, particularly his face, has much more varied animation in the original game. The remake is certainly a great looking game though.

DMC-Dante.png
20090809185012!Krimzon_Guard_Fortress_2.jpg

DmC Dante & Jak 2's Jak. Come at me!

Sure Dante's original incarnation was nice, but when Neo Dante's
hair turned white
, I thought, "This is what he should have ALWAYS looked like".

Jak's sequel was great because Jak went from mute island villiger-type, to cool. And just check that goatee, one of the few cartoony characters that can pull it off.

Apath

I like new Banjo-Kazooie more than old Banjo-Kazooie. I like the move to more square features on Banjo (look how awkward Banjo's hands look in the old versions) and the clear seperation of feathers on Kazooie looks great. In-game the N64 models looked fine though, it is just the CG artwork that looks bad.

I love Banjo's in-game model in Nuts and Bolts. He's very charming.

Too bad we won't get a chance to see him again.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Kat from Gravity Rush
Midna from Twilight Princess

(Edit : Oops, didn't realize this was about redesigns.)

And hell yes, Mega Man in Smash 4 looks absolutely amazing. Both the design and animations.

popyea

They very clearly take from Twilight Princess's artwork, if not necessarily his in-game model. I don't see how you can claim otherwise.

Probably because it's just as close, if not slightly closer, to the skyward sword design. I don't believe it's a throwback to either though. It looks like a strangely soulless mix of the two.

The green tunic isn't what defines the TP Link. At least not after every "non-wind waker" design shared a near identical version of it. To me, the only distinguishing part is the face, and maybe the muted colour pallette if you think that's is a big deal.

Top Bottom