• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Great game series that have had their day and should never return

mcjmetroid

For instance with Movies there are some film series that should never be revisited because the story has been told and nothing you can do with modern technology will ever make anything better. I would put Back to the Future as one of these.

With games sometimes it can be because the story has been told, or nostalgia but I'm thinking certain games have had their day and unless dramatic expansion is done on the formula - they should stay in the past.

Now remember this should only be for game series that you LIKE and not completely shit games series.

1: Starfox
star_fox_zero_key_art.jpg

If the series is going to stay the way it is as in an on-rails shooter then I think this series has had it's day at least for a full price title. I would have liked to have seen the series expand into a multi vehicle battle style with of course the on rails section or expand on adventure but Nintendo keep bringing it back to the Starfox 64 nostalgia and I personally wouldn't be excited for another series if they chose this style again.

2: Duke Nukem
image.jpg

Now ol Duke didn't have the best last game but I think the problem here lies with the character himself. I think you know where I'm going to go with this but this is more of a 'It's for the best' feeling than a personal one.
If you dumb the character down you'll piss off his traditional fans off, if you don't you'll piss off the left side. You can argue the lefty gamers wouldn't play Duke anyway but a new release - especially with a decent budget behind it would need all the help it could get.

I don't think any company wants to deal with that.
I'd like to see him return but maybe it's best he doesn't.

3: Uncharted
38130de49aefd0c65d8cb241433aaf07003b99b1.jpg

What else could you possibly do with this series?
I also believe the story has been told with this one.
Maybe one day but in the far distant future.

It's a tricky question to answer because I have to believe any game series can be revisited, if done properly. It was the same sort of question asked of games when everything started transitioning to 3D. Can Metroid actually work in 3D? No way, not a chance... right? Blam, Metroid Prime knocks it out of the park over center field. It really comes down to whether the developers can dig into what truly makes the game series what it is and do justice to that, probably with some nostalgia factors sprinkled in so series veterans are subliminally coerced into liking it aren't shocked by all the changes.

This was just being asked yesterday about Crazy Taxi... and I believe that's another example of a game that can absolutely be revisited, along with Star Fox and Duke Nukem. I haven't played the Uncharted series yet (in my backlog), but even series around a story line... pick another part in time to examine, retell the story from a different perspective, etc.

I'm not suggesting any of this is easy. Hollywood certainly hasn't nailed it yet. Take a look at the Terminator series... Dark Fate is the best since T2, but ... still not as good as T2, and this is what, the fourth attempt? James Cameron is on a short list of people who can actually make a sequel better than/equal to its predecessor. T2 > T1. Aliens >= Alien. It's an impressive feat, and it gets back to what I said above about digging into what makes something what it is. High hopes for Avatar 2!

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I really like the OP but have to disagree with #3 every Uncharted has gone on to win Game of the Year and it would come as a surprise if Naughty Dog didn't bring back Nathan Drake, the games seem to be getting bigger and Uncharted 5 should debut on the PS5, personally I'm anticipating multiple Uncharted games on PS5.

Belmonte

There are so many products betting in nostalgia that nothing is truly dead.

That said, I will be surprised if EA give a chance to love and resurrect Ultima.

1600full-ultima-vii_-the-black-g.jpg

trikster40

Halo, Gears of War, Assassins Creed, Far Cry, Uncharted, Crash Bandicoot, nearly every fighting game. Basically anything that’s been around for 2+ generations.

Reon

For instance with Movies there are some film series that should never be revisited because the story has been told and nothing you can do with modern technology will ever make anything better. I would put Back to the Future as one of these.

With games sometimes it can be because the story has been told, or nostalgia but I'm thinking certain games have had their day and unless dramatic expansion is done on the formula - they should stay in the past.

Now remember this should only be for game series that you LIKE and not completely shit games series.

1: Starfox

star_fox_zero_key_art.jpg

If the series is going to stay the way it is as in an on-rails shooter then I think this series has had it's day at least for a full price title. I would have liked to have seen the series expand into a multi vehicle battle style with of course the on rails section or expand on adventure but Nintendo keep bringing it back to the Starfox 64 nostalgia and I personally wouldn't be excited for another series if they chose this style again.

2: Duke Nukem
image.jpg

Now ol Duke didn't have the best last game but I think the problem here lies with the character himself. I think you know where I'm going to go with this but this is more of a 'It's for the best' feeling than a personal one.
If you dumb the character down you'll piss off his traditional fans off, if you don't you'll piss off the left side. You can argue the lefty gamers wouldn't play Duke anyway but a new release - especially with a decent budget behind it would need all the help it could get.

I don't think any company wants to deal with that.
I'd like to see him return but maybe it's best he doesn't.

3: Uncharted
38130de49aefd0c65d8cb241433aaf07003b99b1.jpg

What else could you possibly do with this series?
I also believe the story has been told with this one.
Maybe one day but in the far distant future.
Take it back about Star Fox! Take it back! Reeeeee!

Max Payne. I liked 3 for what it was, but I think it brought closure to the series. That being said, if they made a new Max Payne, I'd probably check it out.

Mass Effect, because of BioWare's epic struggles which are well-chronicled. Time to move on--it was a good ride.

TacosNSalsa

Bloodborne . Amazing game , like in my top 2 for game of the gen , maybe even game of all time , but I feel like ANYTHING that they try to follow up with will fall flat .I'm not sure if that counts as a series though...

Last edited:

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Knights of the Old Republic
Uncharted
Gears of War (and all sticky cover tps games)
Destiny
Turn Based Final Fantasy games (and other 3d tb jrpgs)
2d indie titles
Quake like arena shooters
Ghost Recon
PilotWings
Mario Sports Titles
"Cart Racers"
Mascot fighting games (unless its NCAA mascots)
Kingdom Hearts
Max Payne
SJW indoctrinators aka Walking Simulators
Anything that was ever made by Lucasarts
Borderlands (this one hurts :( )

Last edited:

radewagon

No such thing as a series that should never return. Every series is entitled to a fresh perspective/reboot after decades of neglect, mismanagement, or just being stuck in a boring routine.

OP, I would LOVE to see a new Star Fox. I think the series has been mismanaged as of late and it could use a back to basics approach. Duke Nukem, too, is due for a return. I'd love to see it satirize the current state of gaming. Lastly, Uncharted would be great if taken from Drake's daughter's perspective. Especially if her timeline crosses with that of The Last of Us.

I shudder to think of how many great games we wouldn't have if creatives in the industry just sort of gave up on compelling IP's just because the chips were down.

Markness

Banned
Sad to say.. because I have grown up with this series, but Halo... the ports and everything else that has come with it has made me lose faith in the series. It should be where CoD is right now in the MP world, but they messed it up. I don't know how to fix it, but they need to go back to the drawing board, and the same goes with Gears 5... look at the cover and you'll get all you need to know of the game right there. It used to be a dark/horror-esque bro-op shooter game that turned into the feminism meme girl as the main protagonist. It shows how out of touch the game companies are with their audience. I get it.. they want a larger one, but what happens is you end up killing off your loyal one that has been with you for the longest. Battlefield is guilty of this too. Such a shame...

Is there any company out there that isn't out of touch with their fanbase nowadays?

SEGA_2012

Many SEGA games that people ask for a sequel, mainly because the original creators are probably not at SEGA anymore so it makes no sense.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
There is no reason you could not reboot any franchise making it fresh again. That said, Gears of War and Assassin's Creed should go away for a long time.
Has Assassin's Creed ever advanced the plot about
ancient humans and their whole Zechariah Sitchin story?

lol of course i knew this was a stealth halo troll thread.
I'd argue Halo. Everything after Reach has really just been mediocre.

Halo 3 was actually the mediocre one and never delivered on its promised story potential. People make this claim about Halo 5 all the time, but it's truly Halo 3 that is the most serious culprit where that is concerned. A story angle was teased that was never delivered upon. It was wasted.

Halo Reach was an improvement, but also kinda lacking. Halo 4 stomps both with a far superior story depiction of the master chief and cortana's relationship that's better than it's ever been done in the franchise's history. The gameplay also improved and felt better than any Halo title before it, the weapon balancing was more fun and I used more of the available weapons than in past Halos and enjoyed using them. There was more impressive, more believable environmental design that actually made me believe the environments I was in actually served a purpose of sorts.

Halo 4, till dethroned, will stand the test of time as the best game in the franchise because it delivered on Halo 3's broken promise, Cortana's rampancy story. It delivered the more multi-dimensional master chief from books like Halo First Strike. Simply put, anybody claiming Halo is worse since 343 has been on board shouldn't even be taken seriously. Halo 5 was also impressive in its own way. My biggest criticism, of course, being that the story, while I enjoyed where it was going, was transitional in nature and didn't have the finality to events I was hoping for. Then again, that actually makes the events of Halo Infinite more exciting, so I don't mind they waited to tell the rest of that story. The squad based mechanics were a fantastic touch, and something Halo has needed for some time. I hope they remain in Infinite. The movement is the best in the series' history, as is the gameplay. I enjoyed the verticality and all the little alternate paths.

DryvBy

I love these kinds of topics.

A few games come to mind but overall my answer is almost every game that comes out with the same name but a completely different set of devs. Gears of War was one of my favorite 360 games and once CliffyB left (love or hate him, he had talent), the series turned into a turd. Pretty graphics isn't what Gears was about. It was about the action, the violence and the big baddies. I don't need to ski on sand like I'm playing Journey in a game like this.

COD is one that falls outside of this example. This last COD:MW is my favorite one since COD4. They manage to get me to buy their yearly games because I always at least have fun for a month.

TwiztidElf

Two words: Dead Rising.
Though some ports for the Switch would be much appreciated.
Oh shit yo. What have you done?
I absolutely did NOT need the thought of a Dead Rising 1 port on Switch bouncing around in my head.
I've covered wars you know. Thanks for nothing. :(

Last edited:

sn0man

Duke Nukem feels like a silly Beavis and Butthead romp that treads on 1980s tropes. I enjoy it but I think it’s pretty done. That said, even it could be brought back. Not literally but take all the 2010s action movie tropes and remix them with whatever knockoff protagonist that was going for “cheesey badass”. It may not look like Duke but it is the same formula.

it’s just hard to say things can’t be brought back or nothing more can be done with a game. If that’s the case then the whole genre could die somehow.

Moriah20

I really don't see what's so difficult or bad about making more Uncharted movies.

Doesn't have to be with Nathan. There are lots of great already established support characters. There's a bazillion different treasures/lost cities/artifacts that could serve as the plot for what is a pretty basic collection of adventure movie tropes.
Uncharted games are fun action adventure romps, not some ultra high concept arthouse creation.

molasar

Banned
Resident Evil

Whether it is a new installment or a remake/reboot/reimagining. It will be better if they do something new (new IP) in a horror or survival horror territory without being limited by what RE established as long as they have a great idea for it.

Top Bottom