• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Great new Mario Odyssey commercial

Mollymauk

LiOptiW.gif

Lo necesito

Chad Warden redeemed

KAOS

Did Nintendo bring back Sega's Clockwork Knight Band out of retirement!?!

Love the commercial can't wait for the game!

Coricus

I expect quality software from Nintendo's first-party offerings so I intend to go into this on a leap of faith as none of the marketing has done anything to excite me so far.

Honestly I find it difficult for commercials to excite me about anything in general. In the case of video games commercials usually feel like the most dull and uninspiring samples of the gameplay of each game they portray peppered into a reel, even.

This one is really cute though, even if it doesn't really make me any more or less likely to purchase the game than I would be otherwise. I just really like the song and it feels less forced than most dance number commercials.

ViolentP

Honestly I find it difficult for commercials to excite me about anything in general. In the case of video games commercials usually feel like the most dull and uninspiring samples of the gameplay of each game they portray peppered into a reel, even.

This one is really cute though, even if it doesn't really make me any more or less likely to purchase the game than I would be otherwise. I just really like the song and it feels less forced than most dance number commercials.

I'm with you. And I can appreciate the joviality of the ad. It's welcome. I just understand that my preference isn't being targeted by it. I'm also not so stubborn as to translate that into "this game isn't for me". The commercial works in a way I do not understand, but I respect its place. Which leads me to the leap of faith purchase mentality.

czk51

I noticed he flicked the right joy-con @ 00:34, to throw Cappy? Anyone know if this can be disabled? Want to play discreetly in the office :p

Note: Gameplay primarily featured from 1:00 - 1:30

In the first 60 seconds of it, there were probably like 8 seconds of gameplay shown.
I'm really not a fan of focusing so much on actual people singing and dancing. Focus on the game.

Clockwork5

Thank Nintendo for an entertaining advertisement for a video game that doesn't end with a bump pushing a preorder for exclusive content and a free double XP booster.

Note: Gameplay primarily featured from 1:00 - 1:30

In the first 60 seconds of it, there were probably like 8 seconds of gameplay shown.
I'm really not a fan of focusing so much on actual people singing and dancing. Focus on the game.
This is a longer cut, so I'd expect the 30 second edit to get quicker to gameplay.

But regardless, the mainstream audience doesn't care that much about gameplay. This commercial is a masterpiece of establishing tone and introducing concepts. It's eye catching, exciting, and perfectly sells what Odyssey is - even if it doesn't show the actual game until the last third.

Coricus

mario odyssey and breath of the wild on the same year.

I know Splatoon 2 is kinda iterative and doesn't have the epic open world punch of these two. . .

But I really love it enough that it being in the same year as these two just feels like icing on the cake.

Nintendo knocked it out of the park this year.

phanphare

Banned
I know Splatoon 2 is kinda iterative and doesn't have the epic open world punch of these two. . .

But I really love it enough that it being in the same year as these two just feels like icing on the cake.

Nintendo knocked it out of the park this year.

Splatoon 2 is the early front runner for game of the gen iterating on previous game of the gen winner Splatoon

Top Bottom