• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Greenberg: Quantum Break is not coming to Steam

Fat4all

Banned
Who gives a shit? Is Sony putting their AAA third party exclusives on steam? Is there some sort of precedence of a major video game console manufacturing with one of the largest self distribution avenues doing it?

QB went from console exclusive, to available on PC. Period. Moving the goal post with childish fervor is embarrassing. Especially for all we know they will eventually allow it to be published through third part digital distribution. There is absolutely nothing wrong with a company wanting to use their existing infrastructure to publish something and help grow their other products.

Issues with what you can and cannot do with said distribution, are completely irrelevant to whether or not someone is getting upset over this over entitlement.

You're arguing that PC gamers have no right to argue PC-centric issues just because the game was 'allowed' to be put on their platform, that's still a shitty argument.

GHG

Gold Member
Microsoft invests in a game, Microsoft takes all the profit, Microsoft continue investing in gaming and create better titles for all.
Letting Steam crash the party was never the intended effect of bringing exclusives to PC, and personally I'm not a steam-fanboy so I could care less.

They should not conform to the PC standards, they are quite literally horrific and totally biased towards the consumer which in theory is good, but makes an impact on the developers and sales of the product.

I'm all for letting people mod games and I think MS will answer those demands, but I don't think they should put their investments on other stores just because people are fanboys of one particular service.

This actually made me laugh out loud. Well done.

And as for Microsoft wanting the game to be profitable... They have made it pretty clear that they don't give a shit about whether the game is profitable or not. The number of sales they will lose from not also being on Steam is far greater than the revenue they gain from the added 30% of what they do manage to sell. The whole purpose of this is to drive people to Windows 10 and to get them interacting with the store. Unfortunately in this case Remedy and Quantum Break specifically is the sacrificial lamb.

Gren

It's almost like you haven't read the thread whatsoever and only came here for driveby platform war shitposts

Unfortunately, this thread's just the tip of the iceberg; I'm sure such posts will only become more frequent as MS continues to intertwine its two brands.

styl3s

Given the track record of MS and their PC stuff like GFWL i will just get this on X1 and wait and try to get it during a W10 sale.

I don't trust them enough to spend $60 and in X years down the road they stop support for W10 store and i am out whatever games i purchase.

Durante

Good for you, I enjoy it as well, but in it's current form it's not sustainable.
Wait, are you serious?

PC gaming, in its current form, which has been growing year over year and survived for decades after being pronounced dead, is unsustainable?

And what will save us is a new distribution mechanism which locks our PC down like consoles?

No, seriously, what?

patapuf

Any sane person should at least wait for the Windows 10 event before deciding not to buy this game based on the store. I'll be very surprised if Spencer shows up on stage without a plan to make it better.

I really, really doubt Spencer is anywhere near high up enough to change stuff about UWA's.

It's one of the pillars of MS's current strategy.

If it gets changed, that one of the best news for PC in general (not just gaming) in a long while.

Fat4all

Banned
Given the track record of MS and their PC stuff like GFWL i will just get this on X1 and wait and try to get it during a W10 sale.

I don't trust them enough to spend $60 and in X years down the road they stop support for W10 store and i am out whatever games i purchase.

I'll still be getting this on PC near launch, but I'm gonna wait for the first impression and technical threads for the PC version before jumping on it.

If it looks grim, then it's the Xbox One version for me!

airborn

Different times.

Microsoft have stepped away from deriving their income from a single point-of-purchase (Windows license) and moved towards an ecosystem where the initial OS revenue is just the beginning of monetization. They want you to use their services and upsell you Office 365, Groove and OneDrive e.g. Putting their games on the Windows Store is part of that vision.

They gave away Windows 10 as a free upgrade to maximize the adoption of the Windows Store and their services. There are over 200 million devices already running the OS, but in order for the Windows Store to succeed, they need content. It's a business decision, plain and simple.

Wait, are you serious?

PC gaming, in its current form, which has been growing year over year and survived for decades after being pronounced dead, is unsustainable?

And what will save us is a new distribution mechanism which locks our PC down like consoles?

No, seriously, what?
Shhh no logic, only tales from your ass.

iNvid02

people cried about origin and uplay, and they came to accept the fact that if they want to play certain games they're going to use those services.

i'm sure the same thing will happen here, provided the frankenfucked apps the windows store offers are changed, the amount of restrictions they impose on games are unacceptable

tuxfool

Banned
If you dont really want to play those games then yes, you can just ignore those services/clients/games and move along. But I find it odd if you are PC only (assuming) and wanted to play these games, all of the sudden you dont want to even though its right on your grasp because a store front.

This isn't a binary choice. It is a question of opportunity cost and how much I want to play a game is graded by other aspects beyond the game itself.

Kriken

You know, looking back at that "Why doesn't Sony put their games on Steam?" well here's your answer

I know about Helldivers and EGTTR, I'm talking Uncharted and Infamous and whatnot

etta

my hard graphic balls
So much hostility between people...
It's terrible that it runs like an app, but I don't think there's anything to worry about losing the license in the future.
The locked app environment could be changed in the future, perhaps if they see enough people are dissatisfied with it, they will switch to the Apple system.
Edit: Or, better yet, partner with Steam to allow transfer of licenses (tie Microsoft account with the Steam one).

~Kinggi~

Banned
I will never purchase anything form the WIndows Store and im already rubbed the wrong way from the Win 10 exclusivity.

So get fucked MS with your ridiculously high-specced Win store ports.

At least Origin and UPlay games run like regular ass PC games, regardless of the client.

By which I mean it's an exe that you can mess with and add to Steam or whatever.

drotahorror

Honestly, even that would be better. Just anything that's not at the mercy of Microsoft's whims.

I would buy it if it was on Origin, I don't mind that service. Wouldn't touch uplay and won't touch the windows store.

Killer Instinct and Quantum Break are being sent to die on PC. Thanks MS. Call me ungrateful but the windows store sucks and does the app situation.

jmga

Good for you, I enjoy it as well, but in it's current form it's not sustainable.

This is escalating quickly. It remembers me the Denuvo thread where people says developers need DRM solutions to eat.

I wonder if any of this people is actually interested in PC gaming.

belmonkey

What's the issue? They have no obligation to publish their first party games on a competitors service.

I'd like to think that a company looking to make the most profit it can would opt to put their game on the most popular (and quite convenient) PC-gaming store / community that is ~150 million gamers strong, rather than a separate Windows store that doesn't get nearly as much use by the type of gamer that would buy a demanding game like Quantum Break.

If they just released on Steam, the game would surely get more exposure and earn Microsoft a lot more money (even with paying a 30% cut to Valve) than their store that is already being looked at as GFWL 2.0.

I'd nice if maybe the two could come to a special arrangement, like Valve takes a smaller cut than usual in exchange for the game releasing on Steam.

patapuf

You know, looking back at that "Why doesn't Sony put their games on Steam?" well here's your answer

I know about Helldivers and EGTTR, I'm talking Uncharted and Infamous and whatnot

Sony wouldn't be able to pull the stuff MS is doing with it's Win 10 store. People would happily buy Sony games on PC from a Sony store.

WadeitOut

You're arguing that PC gamers have no right to argue PC-centric issues just because the game was 'allowed' to be put on their platform, that's still a shitty argument.

Feel free to elaborate on those single quotes.

Because Microsoft is in absolutely no way obligated to publish anything on PC. Hence the massive amounts of whining in regards to the topic for the past however many years. So they very much 'allowed' QB to be published on PC despite the other have of GAF claiming to no longer need to buy their hardware.

Let me know when their console competition jumps in and starts doing the same thing with AAA games, because until then, like with EA Access, you are getting something new to the consumer. Which by its very definition makes it a consumer friendly move. "Not consumer friendly enough" is an entitlement argument. Period.

madjoki

Yes, and sometimes it doesn't work. I can't access that folder after doing that. So...

And you can access it, but can't do anything with files, so it's not like it has use.
You can create shortcuts just by dragging to desktop anyway. (But Steam doesn't support these, not like it would matter since Steam wouldn't be able to inject it's overlay)

Microsoft publishes on Steam.

And so does Sony. Sure it's an exception, but still it's on Steam.

After GFWL I'm really hesitant. Is it true that W10 apps can only install to the C drive?

It's not true. It's been fixed.

Imagine if Sony OK'd the release of all 1st party titles on PC...on their Sony Store™.

"OMG I have to download the Sony PC APP..NO SALE!!!!!!!" LOLOLOLOL

Well, since it would be traditional Win32 and not vendor lock-in like Windows Store.

tkato

Banned
Wait, are you serious?

No, seriously, what?

I'm not serious, wanted to troll like a MS fanboy, but the fact people took me seriously is a bit alarming.

Aklamarth

Yeah, let's not bitch about PC games not being on GOG, Origin etc but let's bitch because they'll be on Windows Store. Idiots....

people cried about origin and uplay, and they came to accept the fact that if they want to play certain games they're going to use those services.

i'm sure the same thing will happen here, provided the frankenfucked apps the windows store offers are changed, the amount of restrictions they impose on games are unacceptable
You are correct. I think the only argument here is really the limitations of the game. The store likely doesn't matter here because the odds of Microsoft shutting it down this time are laughably unlikely (but sure, if I'm proven wrong be sure to bring it up). They are not starting from zero with platform or services. Xbox services are mature as hell and will do just fine provided they don't get lazy, which I also don't see happening this time (but that's opinion)

Microsoft invests in a game, Microsoft takes all the profit, Microsoft continue investing in gaming and create better titles for all.
Letting Steam crash the party was never the intended effect of bringing exclusives to PC, and personally I'm not a steam-fanboy so I could care less.

They should not conform to the PC standards, they are quite literally horrific and totally biased towards the consumer which in theory is good, but makes an impact on the developers and sales of the product.

I'm all for letting people mod games and I think MS will answer those demands, but I don't think they should put their investments on other stores just because people are fanboys of one particular service.

I think it's less to do with a sense of fanboyism and more to do with Microsoft showing that, again, they might not be as dedicated to catching up to the rest of the PC market as they claim to be. Steam absolutely has its problems, but it is the standard for PC stores, both in ubiquity and feature expectations. It's exasperating to see them doing this again.

MS has proven itself to be a terrible storefront manager that can and will take down digital services (including your "owned" games) if they don't align with the current strategy. I will never buy their games on the Windows 10 store.

I'm kind of worried about this as well

Top Bottom