• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Greenberg: Quantum Break is not coming to Steam

gamz

Ucchedavāda;195221888 said:
You'll probably have to do a clean install of Windows 7 first, and then upgraded from there. There may be a way to skip directly to doing a clean install of W10, but from what I know you need to go through the upgrade process in order to "convert" your W7 license into a W10 license. After you've done that, then you can retrieve your W10 key and do a clean install of W10 if you so desire.

When I installed it on my laptop from work it came straight from Lenovo with Windows 8 and when I upgraded I noticed a third option (which I haven't seen before) that said it would wipe the computer and I'd lose all my files. I did that option and it gave me a fresh install with no lenovo software on it. So perhaps he should try that.

mcrommert

Banned
So basically, for any kind of feature anyone has ever wanted and added on to a PC game, an API has to be developed, standardized and supported by every dev?

THIS WON'T WORK. IT'S WISHFUL THINKING. IT'S NOT HOW PROGRESS IS MADE ON THE PC PLATFORM, OR WHY IT IS THE BREEDING GROUND FOR INNOVATION.

I'd not describe your position as "not pessimistic", I'd describe it as entirely divorced from any semblance of reality.

And again, why all this pain?
I think I've done a pretty good job laying out all the various drawbacks, limitations and long-term issues which the UWA platform creates for gamers. Is there any real advantage for consumers to it which actually makes all that worthwhile?

I'd like to respond to the final point "why all this pain". All this pain because win32 is inherently broken. First the way apps install in win32 is broken. Sneezing files and registry changes all over the operating system is a bad bad way to do things. Fortunately we no longer live with the threat of dll hell, but many times installs and their eventual uninstalls do damage to the operating system. Secondly when those apps are running they have unrestricted access to the computer. Microsoft put on the bandaid of uac, but this is only a band aid. This is the future of operating systems...apps have access to only what they need in a sandboxed environment. While plenty have stories of game installs or uninstalls messing up their computer...in this environment it will never happen again.

jmga

I think I may have posted this close to ten times now

Dxtory's fps overlay works...so mumbles could work too...people have said an offical overlay api is coming very soon

Dll injection however is not happening.

I have verified this, Dxtory works after its last update with UWA.

Costia

By that rationale, we wouldn't have the best version of Dark Souls we currently have, and Bamco might have given up on releasing PC games.
There's been an ecosystem of community mods and fixes for ages, you can't really say out of the blue "let devs sort it out".
It's not out of the blue, it's a transition. The windows win32 PE format isn't dead. It's not like starting tomorow everything has to be in this new format. I don't see this new format becoming mainstream for atleast 10 years from now, and that's assuming it won't die due to it's own technical problems.

So basically, for any kind of feature anyone has ever wanted and added on to a PC game, an API has to be developed, standardized and supported by every dev?

THIS WON'T WORK. IT'S WISHFUL THINKING. IT'S NOT HOW PROGRESS IS MADE ON THE PC PLATFORM, OR WHY IT IS THE BREEDING GROUND FOR INNOVATION.

I'd not describe your position as "not pessimistic", I'd describe it as entirely divorced from any semblance of reality.
And again, why all this pain?
I think I've done a pretty good job laying out all the various drawbacks, limitations and long-term issues which the UWA platform creates for gamers. Is there any real advantage for consumers to it which actually makes all that worthwhile?
Yay, caps. That will surely get your point across.

The advantage for non gaming software is an additional level of security. UWA isn't just for gaming. It's a general executable format. And I would assume that a lot of people would appreciate if they knew that malware and keyloggers are going to have a much harder time infecting their PC's. (even at the expnese of not beeing able to play dark souls at 1080p60)

Edit: Personally i don't like the idea behind this new format. But it's nowhere near as bad as you are trying to make it look. It's not the end of PC gaming.

When I installed it on my laptop from work it came straight from Lenovo with Windows 8 and when I upgraded I noticed a third option (which I haven't seen before) that said it would wipe the computer and I'd lose all my files. I did that option and it gave me a fresh install with no lenovo software on it. So perhaps he should try that.

Oh, I had not realized that such an option existed (perhaps it is new, or I simply overlooked it). If that is possible, then that could certainly save a lot of time.

JaggedSac

I think I may have posted this close to ten times now

Dxtory's fps overlay works...so mumbles could work too...people have said an offical overlay api is coming very soon

Dll injection however is not happening.

Oh really? Is there a link to that?

And yeah, dll injection will never ever happen with a UWP.

There really is a defense force for everything huh? I'm not buying anything from the W10 store, so I guess I won't be buying Quantum Break. Have people forgotten about GFWL or are they just too drunk on the Microsoft Kool-Aid that they have abandoned rational thought?

The issue is less about it not being not Steam and everything about Microsoft trying to force you use their walled garden which is already known to be terrible. They burned their bridges with the PC community a long time ago and have a lot of making up to do if they want to earn any amount of trust and respect. This is not a good start. This is neither good for the consumer nor does is seem like a good business decision, unless they're ok with the game bombing on PC. But I'm sure they'll find some other scapegoat when that happens.

I would not be surprised if this came to Steam, or any other store for that matter, once they realize no one is buying crap from their closed ecosystem. Greed rules all with these decisions at Microsoft and maybe they'll do the math that 70% of something is better than 100% of nothing.

"Microsoft can do whatever they want!!!" Yadda yadda yadda... Yeah, and so can we, which includes such things as not buying from their dumb store and bitching about them repeating the same mistakes.

Volotaire

TB chimes in on QB coming to PC

https://youtu.be/FrrDeDnjLyM

In summary, TB's initial argument practically mentions switching costs are the main sunk costs for consumers. Under a sunk costs framework, it prevents most consumers from switching to other platforms. This is the motivator for 'irrational' responses with respect to exclusives. Consumers who feel their platform is under threat will push a more 'elitist' agenda based on the fact that their platform is dying.

Shapiro talks about the standards debate in the context of the video games industry, and other industries, in his article 'Standards Wars'.

patapuf

It's not out of the blue, it's a transition. The windows win32 PE format isn't dead. It's not like starting tomorow everything has to be in this new format. I don't see this new format becoming mainstream for atleast 10 years from now, and that's assuming it won't die due to it's own technical problems.

Yay, caps. That will surely get your point across.

The advantage for non gaming software is an additional level of security. UWA isn't just for gaming. It's a general executable format. And I would assume that a lot of people would appreciate if they knew that malware and keyloggers are going to have a much harder time infecting their PC's. (even at the expnese of not beeing able to play dark souls at 1080p60)

Edit: Personally i don't like the idea behind this new format. But it's nowhere near as bad as you are trying to make it look. It's not the end of PC gaming.

It certainly is unless all you want out of PC gaming is what's essentially a console app.

MS had to backpedal once already regarding their UWA strategy, i see no point in just accepting things this time. For gaming specifically, UWA provide very little.

I'd like to respond to the final point "why all this pain". All this pain because win32 is inherently broken. First the way apps install in win32 is broken. Sneezing files and registry changes all over the operating system is a bad bad way to do things. Fortunately we no longer live with the threat of dll hell, but many times installs and their eventual uninstalls do damage to the operating system. Secondly when those apps are running they have unrestricted access to the computer. Microsoft put on the bandaid of uac, but this is only a band aid. This is the future of operating systems...apps have access to only what they need in a sandboxed environment. While plenty have stories of game installs or uninstalls messing up their computer...in this environment it will never happen again.

While I agree to the benefit of having the OS manage software installations / removals, and indeed something I've been missing in Windows compared to other OSs I use, and even sand-boxing of apps (to some degree), I don't see why this requires that even the administrator is able to modify the installed programs. That's taking control away at a whole 'nother level.

Durante

It's not out of the blue, it's a transition.
It's a transition to a world in which
  • Knights of the Old Republic 2, instead of being lovingly crafted closer to its original vision over many years by the community, is stuck with the original broken and incomplete release.
  • Vampire The Masquerade Bloodlines lingers in a broken (and unplayable on modern computers) state, instead of having all its issues fixed and its gameplay polished over a decade of dedicated work.
  • Dark Souls remains at 1024x720 30 FPS instead of running at arbitrary resolution and 60 FPS.

As just 3 out of a litany of literally hundreds of examples.

Why any enthusiast of the medium of gaming should desire this or remain unconcerned by it is something I will never understand.

Nzyme32

There really is a defense force for everything huh? I'm not buying anything from the W10 store, so I guess I won't be buying Quantum Break. Have people forgotten about GFWL or are they just too drunk on the Microsoft Kool-Aid that they have abandoned rational thought?

The issue is less about it not being not Steam and everything about Microsoft trying to force you use their walled garden which is already known to be terrible. They burned their bridges with the PC community a long time ago and have a lot of making up to do if they want to earn any amount of trust and respect. This is not a good start. This is neither good for the consumer nor does is seem like a good business decision, unless they're ok with the game bombing on PC. But I'm sure they'll find some other scapegoat when that happens.

I would not be surprised if this came to Steam, or any other store for that matter, once they realize no one is buying crap from their closed ecosystem. Greed rules all with these decisions at Microsoft and maybe they'll do the math that 70% of something is better than 100% of nothing.

"Microsoft can do whatever they want!!!" Yadda yadda yadda... Yeah, and so can we, which includes such things as not buying from their dumb store and bitching about them repeating the same mistakes.

I think the bigger issue for me is that, even though I would have waited several years to judge the competency and long term support attitudes towards their PC game offerings on the Windows Store before buying, already with the one game on there we see the restricted nature of UWA over Win32 and the limitations that brings to all the things that PC gamer's have come to expect. If Quantum Break and future PC games are released as UWA, it is out of the question that I would purchase at all. As with GFWL, it seems MS are far behind in what they assume PC gamer's want / need.

Woo-Fu

Banned
You can't blame Microsoft for wanting to create their own storefront for games when Valve is taking at least a 30% cut of every sale on Steam.

You can blame them for doing their as usual piss poor job on a new endeavor. A decade from now the Windows Store will be pretty slick, if it still exists.

Costia

Because that's exactly what he's saying.
Well, the bolded caps made it look like he's ateast a bit panicking.

• Knights of the Old Republic 2 , instead of being lovingly crafted closer to its original vision over many years by the community, is stuck with the original broken and incomplete release.
  • Vampire The Masquerade Bloodlines lingers in a broken (and unplayable on modern computers) state, instead of having all its issues fixed and its gameplay polished over a decade of dedicated work.
  • Dark Souls remains at 1024x720 30 FPS instead of running at arbitrary resolution and 60 FPS.
Why any enthusiast of the medium of gaming should desire this or remain unconcerned by it is something I will never understand.
Or a transition (over ~10 years, not suddenly) to a world where those games whould have been released in a proper state and didn't require the community to fix the dev's mistakes.
Feels like we are going in circles now.

And I have already said that personaly i don't desire it(Edit: due to other long term problems that can arise from this) . It's just that i don't see it as such big of a deal as you seem to think.

I think you'll find that it is frustration, as he is laying it all out and none of it is sinking in!
I understand what he is saying. There is no need for caps. I just don't agree with his doom and gloom predictions for the future of PC gaming.

aravuus

Looked more like talking with you is just frustrating to him lol

Or a transition (over ~10 years, not suddenly) to a world where those games whould have been released in a proper state and didn't require the community to fix the dev's mistakes.

I wish I was this optimistic, though. I mean... This is a pipe dream. We'll never, ever get to this point. It just won't happen.

Do you actually think that's even the least bit plausible?
I mean, it's not like this change will ensure that companies start to (or even will be able to) budget for sufficient development and QA time, so we'll probably just end up with broken titles that cannot be fixed by anyone, since those companies will still want to recoup at least some of their cost and keep releasing these broken titles.

....Or a transition (over ~10 years, not suddenly) to a world where those games whould have been released in a proper state and didn't require the community to fix the dev's mistakes.

In a world where developer studios are opened and closed constantly and people shift from studio to studio. As if money suddenly doesn't matter anymore just because Microsoft has closed the OS down further for their own security reasons. They don't give a damn about the state games are released in considering features and bugs, their own history on consoles is proof of this.

How naive are you to think AAA publishers will ever stop putting out broken ports? Or that they'll fix them properly for that matter.

Just look at what Warner and some japanese companies are doing right now and tell me that I should fully trust publishers to not put out garbage.

Durante

Ok.

Please explain, in simple words like you are talking to an imbecile, how changing the packaging and executable format of a game will change the market forces (real or imagined) which cause publishers to force developers to release games in incomplete or broken states.

Because I just don't see even the tiniest hint of a connection.

And I have already said that personaly i don't desire it(Edit: due to other long term problems that can arise from this) . It's just that i don't see it as such big of a deal as you seem to think.

He's not panicking but you keep replying as if "who cares, it'll be ok" is why it sounds like it. You're in a fantasy bubble where you think games will be perfect coming to UWA for some reason.

I understand what he is saying. There is no need for caps. I just don't agree with his doom and gloom predictions for the future of PC gaming.

Indeed.

What's the big deal with it being on W10 store and not steam anyways? I'm not familiar with PC platforms yet but logically the only difference would be you launch through the W10 store and not steam?

Nzyme32

• Knights of the Old Republic 2, instead of being lovingly crafted closer to its original vision over many years by the community, is stuck with the original broken and incomplete release.

Just to add to this, i think it was the modification and massive success of Dark Souls after that, that led to a NB working diligently to attempt a similar level of quality for DS2, which brought them more success. Similarly with KOTOR2, it was the community work which led to the modification of KOToR2 officially being supported via Workshop. For vampire masquerade and so so many other games, community driven modification is what has not only kept these games alive, but enhanced them massively and led to innovation and new features within PC gaming itself.

Anyone being so incredulous as to dismiss the importance this freedom of modification has on PC gaming, completely misunderstand why many people enjoy and choose PC gaming and why innovation occurs so quickly there in the first place, and why UWP is so abysmal as a choice for a PC game.

Hahahaha, oh man, that's a funny one. Wishful thinking indeed.

Even if we look passed the basic issue of games being completely broken at launch and never fixed, I suppose you also don't care about modding in general?

SparkTR

What's the big deal with it being on W10 store and not steam anyways? I'm not familiar with PC platforms yet but logically the only difference would be you launch through the W10 store and not steam?

Microsoft's current policy has it that W10 apps have to run in their own seperate sandbox that makes things like community fixes, Freesync, fullscreen mode, SLI, injectors (ENB, FPS caps etc) impossible to use. Really basic, useful tools that should not be messed with. They're aparently doing this for no benefit as well.

Currently the W10 version of RotTR is fucked for SLI and patches are slower than Steam.

jmga

Because W10 store apps are Universal Windows Apps instead of Win32 apps, they impose a lot of limitations to the user and take control away from him.

It's like iOS App Store.

diaspora

Sure, and that's great for most applications but is absolutely asinine for gaming.

edit: To be clear I think both you and Durante are right. I mean how there are very clear and obvious benefits to the UWA nature of sandboxed applications but it doesn't make sense to ignore the ridiculous drawbacks it has on gaming.

MaLDo

He's using caps because he's arguing with an imbecile, and is too polite to come out and just say that.

dead2.gif

Costia

Ok.
Please explain, in simple words like you are talking to an imbecile, how changing the packaging and executable format of a game will change the market forces (real or imagined) which cause publishers to force developers to release games in incomplete or broken states.
Because I just don't see even the connection.
Today it's profitable to release broken games. When the community will no longer be able to fix them, it will stop being profitable. So the dev will have to publish a working game or not publish anything at all.

Hahahaha, oh man, that's a funny one. Wishful thinking indeed.
Even if we look passed the basic issue of games being completely broken at launch and never fixed, I suppose you also don't care about modding in general?
It doesn't prevent modding in general.

To add to this, UWA means not having:
Could you stop quoting that list. A lot of things there a perfectly possible, just have to be implemented differently.
Yau can read my posts and durante's reponses. Note the things that he deleted from my posts when quoting.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member

Anyone who's actually a fan of PC gaming would be extremely sceptical of what MS is doing. Running games as apps ? Yeah, no thank you MS. You've proved yourself completely incompetent over the years in regards to PC gaming, you don't get the benefit of the doubt from me. Buying from the Windows Store doesn't bother me in the slightest but having my games locked down ? Not a fucking chance. MS are going to kill themselves again on PC in regards to PC gaming if they start this shit again.

Of course I'm not surprised, people will defend anything.

Nzyme32

Because W10 store apps are Universal Windows Apps instead of Win32 apps, they impose a lot of limitations to the users an take control away from him.

It's like iOS App Store.

* Performance analysis overlays.
* Graphics injectors.
* Integration of useful external applications like Mumble.
* Community fixes or feature extensions.
* Freesync.
* In-depth modding.
* Support for popular peripherals like the Steam controller. (!)
* Some GPU features such as SLI or adapter switching.
* Actual exclusive full screen mode.

UWA runs contrary to a lot of things that have driven growth and innovation within PC gaming, and for many the reason they choose PC gaming over others. UWA essentially reduces the ability to use external applications of your choosing or modifications, injections etc. Want to use OBS to twitch Stream or stream to a different service or record with Shadowplay? No you can't unless MS deem it appropriate and officially support it. You are restricted to their solutions and choices alone.

diaspora

Today it's profitable to release broken games. When the community will no longer be able to fix them, it will stop being profitable. So the dev will have to publish a working game or not publish anything at all.

It doesn't prevent modding in general.

That's not a real scenario though. I mean Durante fixed Dark Souls, then DS2 was released in a completely fixed form. Similarly after he fixed FF13, Square patched the game and IIRC FF13-2 didn't have the same resolution issues. A more likely scenario is that a developer releases a shitty port, nobody buys it, it's not profitable, so they don't release any more PC games.

jmga

* Performance analysis overlays.
* Graphics injectors.
* Integration of useful external applications like Mumble.
* Community fixes or feature extensions.
* Freesync.
* In-depth modding.
* Support for popular peripherals like the Steam controller. (!)
* Some GPU features such as SLI or adapter switching.
* Actual exclusive full screen mode.

UWA runs contrary to a lot of things that have driven growth and innovation within PC gaming, and for many the reason they choose PC gaming over others. UWA essentially reduces the ability to use external applications of your choosing or modifications, injections etc. Want to use OBS to twitch Stream or stream to a different service or record with Shadowplay? No you can't unless MS deem it appropriate and officially support it. You are restricted to their solutions and choices alone.

You can have overlays and SLI.

But the rest of the list seems valid.

Costia

Only Microsoft Approved™ mods allowed! What a time to be alive, truly this is the open platform we know and love.
No. MS have nothing to do with it. You can sign your own code. You dont need MS's approval.

This fundamentally doesn't work. Say goodbye to Minecraft, and development / iteration which allowed speedy innovation. Games do not exist in a simple, "it plops out complete in every way" fashion, or in a way where nothing further can be iterated or added to it by the community that spurs new game ideas, mechanics, genres etc. In your idea, there would be no MOBAs, no esports, no mod tools / workshop, no community formed monetisation / marketplace for virtual items, no Xcom 2 in the way it exists right now, and probably no where near the growth PC gaming has had over the past decade - if UWA-like restrictions were the norm over the years.
There would be mods ,workshop etc. It doesn't prevent modding in games that support it (such as mincraft, etc...). It prevents messing around with the dev's code.

Nzyme32

This fundamentally doesn't work. Say goodbye to Minecraft, and development / iteration which allowed speedy innovation. Games do not exist in a simple, "it plops out complete in every way" fashion, or in a way where nothing further can be iterated or added to it by the community that spurs new game ideas, mechanics, genres etc. In your idea, there would be no MOBAs, no esports, no mod tools / workshop, no community formed monetisation / marketplace for virtual items, no Xcom 2 in the way it exists right now, and probably no where near the growth PC gaming has had over the past decade - if UWA-like restrictions were the norm over the years.

mcrommert

Banned

Wait say goodbye to Minecraft....the game owned by Microsoft?

Confused

Top Bottom