• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Greg Miller Hates PC gaming, So Should you?

WakeTheWolf

It's been a love/hate relationship for me with PC. When things go bad it can be hard but the great thing is that parts can always be under warranty. My Rx 5700 XT Black screens and I've stablised it by undervolting it. But PC Gaming has its merits like being able to play all my games on one box rather than on multiple of generations of consoles. It also can provide great value and easy access to games. I would seriously consider coming back to PC as my primary platform if I could get a hold of one of the new graphics cards though.

Skifi28

When it works it's great. When it goes wrong, it can be from annoying to infuriating. You don't need a engineering degree, troubleshooting is generally easy but be prepared for lots of googling if you're not experienced and even more wasted time testing stuff. I don't have the time or patience these days so I'd rather play on a console, but that's just me.

Last edited:
Ty44_07u_400x400.jpg

Hates PC gaming.

henry-cavill-239944_828x1104.png

Loves PC gaming.

Dirty console peasant vs PC Gamer Master Race

GrayChild

Learn to code, Greggy boy. Doing this will also make tweaking each PC game and making the most of the available hardware much easier.

Also, 'hating' something is basically hate speech. I've just reported his Tweet, as I can't stand for such bigotry and toxicity in modern gaming culture.

Last edited:
When it works it's great. When it goes wrong, it can be from annoying to infuriating. You don't need a engineering degree, troubleshooting is generally easy but be prepared for lots of googling if you're not experienced and even more wasted time testing stuff. I don't have the time or patience these days so I'd rather play on a console, but that's just me.

If you have to do that much stuff it must be some nuclear level of bad luck. Ive been playing on PC for so long that my first monitor was monochrome and a colour monitor represented one of my first upgrades. Whenever i read a pc related topic on neogaf or resetera i feel actual pain from all the nonsense and fabrication. Especially since for more than a decade now with steam you just hit install and play game for the most part. Any issue is extremely rare

Pey27

Neo Member
No visual/performance benefit? Any game just looks better on PC. Plus, how about ray tracing and DLSS? Such an idiot.

Soodanim

Gold Member
I can’t really imagine PC gaming is worth it if you’re not interested in tinkering when things go wrong, so it’s not for everyone.

What more is there to say? It’s a thread based on an opinion with the intention of starting a Greg Miller hate train, and it is already working. This thread will do 5+pages easy.

Fbh

It can definitely have some annoyances.
I recently got Thronebreaker on GOG an for some reason the camera was very choppy despite the framerate being locked, took me some time to figure out how to fix it. The very next game I bought was Metal Gear Rising which for some reason locks itself to 24fps when playing in fullscreen (thankfully found a fanmade fix). Some occasional issues with Nvidia drivers also aren't rare, earlier this year Doom Eternal was having some weird black flashes and had to roll back to the previous driver to fix it, and when playing AC Odyssey last year sometimes a new Nvidia update which was supposed to be for a completely unrelated game would tank the performance.

So there's definitely an appeal to the more straightforwardness of consoles.

But the flexibility, cheaper games, free multiplayer, regional pricing, better performance (if you have the hardware for it), mods , emulators and much better back and forward compatibility more than make up for the occasional annoyance or troubleshooting.

Last edited:
PC gaming gives as much back as you are willing to put into it.

It's expensive, requires above average competence with computers (remember how often your work collegues struggle with getting their monitors to display properly? That's average), and you will simply not be getting the best value for money, but if you want the best possible experience on AAA multiplats, most weird indie shit and a fuckton of modding options, it is absolutely the beat platform possible.

Valentino

I don't get it either. But then again I don't understand it either. Do you have to buy new bits and bobs every few years when graphics get better and you just keep adding it on to your computer. Building it up and up?
And my only memory of PC gaming is games taking a year to come out after it's initial release and STILL having problems. Sounds like a lot of faff.

daninthemix

He's right that you can encounter all sorts of issues.

He's wrong in assuming that visual / performance benefits are the reason to endure them.

Whilst visuals and performance are invariably orders of magnitude greater than the nearest console version of a particular game, the main reason for many is freedom. Mods, cheats etc. Play how you want. You don't have to stay in the box the developer has created for you.

How embarrassing.

Ot, I rarely have difficulty playing pc games, usually it's when the game is older. Only recently did I have a problem with Divinity OS2 and that's because a driver update was causing issues with hardware accelerated gpu scheduling.

Still the answer to your problems is usually stickied on the front page in the discussions category for that game, because common problems are usually easy to resolve and fans love to help each other.

Is it as simple as console? No, but the benefit of pc is I'm not saddled with whatever the devs have given me. If Greg wants fast food, so be it, but I'm going to be over here enjoying the steak I cook for myself.

Soodanim

Gold Member
PC gaming gives as much back as you are willing to put into it.

It's expensive, requires above average competence with computers (remember how often your work collegues struggle with getting their monitors to display properly? That's average), and you will simply not be getting the best value for money, but if you want the best possible experience on AAA multiplats, most weird indie shit and a fuckton of modding options, it is absolutely the best platform possible.
This is why I’ll keep a PC round for the foreseeable future. Every time I get recommended a game by a console friend I think “It’s a shame I won’t get to play this with them”, but then I find out it’s 30fps on PC and I think “It’s a shame they only got this at 30fps”. Or the hundreds of hours of playtime mods have given (well done to Xbox for supporting Bethesda games properly though).

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Being an old PC gamer with three gaming capable PCs, I hate it too. Though I have started using my Steam Link to play on my TV, which is cool.

I don't hate it, I just don't care much for it because I already work staring at a pc screen with kb+m 6 days a week, when I get home I prefer to just lay down in bed and play my ps4.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Funny thing is I'm into PC gaming now because its less of a hassle then console gaming for me now. With my Laptop I don't need to be near a tv, I let the Nvidia thing set my graphic settings (if the game doesn't auto do it like most do now).

Adding a 2nd SSD to my laptop was easier then doing it on a PS5 as well.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I can’t really imagine PC gaming is worth it if you’re not interested in tinkering when things go wrong, so it’s not for everyone.

What more is there to say? It’s a thread based on an opinion with the intention of starting a Greg Miller hate train, and it is already working. This thread will do 5+pages easy.

Why focus on the negative? PC gaming is worth it if you want to play videogames at their best.

The problems with PC gaming are like bad restaurant reviews on Yelp - the people who have a good meal and a good time don't go home and post a review most of the time. It's very rare, and even those who have a problem find a way to fix it and get back to gaming. And it's not like console gaming is problem free.

Soodanim

Gold Member
Why focus on the negative? PC gaming is worth it if you want to play videogames at their best.

The problems with PC gaming are like bad restaurant reviews on Yelp - the people who have a good meal and a good time don't go home and post a review most of the time. It's very rare, and even those who have a problem find a way to fix it and get back to gaming. And it's not like console gaming is problem free.
It's not focussing on the negative, it's reality.

I skipped a console generation and went PC only because I'm happy to do what's necessary when it goes wrong, and I'm happy to do what's optional when it goes right. I'm there for the results and willing to put in the time and effort to get them. I'm happy to go looking for an Xinput wrapper on Github so I use a modern controller on an old PC port, and I'm happy to go searching forums here there and everywhere when a game doesn't launch. Even something as simple as tweaking settings for framerate targets still requires a basic knowledge of what things are and do.

I also know full well that I'm the only person in my social circle that has a PC for gaming and that none of the others are willing to do any of the when they can buy a console, stick in their games, and just play.

Who's wrong? No one is.

Kadayi

Banned
There seems to be some genuine fragility in the console space in the lead up to the next-gen launch of late and running down PC for some bizarre reason seems to be part of the equation. This tweet seems to be a prime example of it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Dunno who he is, but I haven't run into actual software related issues for years; everything I run just works.
The last time I had a problem where I had to replace hardware, was 2 years ago when my 10 year old HDDs were failing.

Soodanim

Gold Member
There seems to be some genuine fragility in the console space in the lead up to the next-gen launch of late and running down PC for some bizarre reason seems to be part of the equation. This tweet seems to be a prime example of it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Is that what everyone is taking from this tweet? All I see is an opinion that ends with "for me" and doubles down on clarifying that it's his own opinion by saying "I'm glad it works for you".

In other words "This is what I think and it's fine if you don't think the same thing", shared to only those that choose to follow him until it was posted by someone else.

I really don't understand the mentality of having a problem with such a benign thought.

WakeTheWolf

In mid 2018 I went through about 5 console returns because I kept getting a PS4 Pro with fan issues. It took 5 replacements to get one that was barely silent. Console absolutely has problems too.

Here is how it works: the most fun part of PC gaming is getting things to work and the moment of success when you figure it out. There is absolutely zero video game that is worth playing after that moment. Games have the same vibe but it doesnt come close.

That feeling should come from your job, and games should be a more mild, relaxed version of this. The are made for you to succeed and hand you the tools to do so, so it is different. From his perspectice he is correct, because he leads a fulfilling life and is not always chasing success in his down time.

From the perspective of a "no job" or workaholic he is wrong. There are people in this world who work 18 hours a day, except 10 of those hours are PC gaming. Are they having a more fulfilling, rewarding experience? Probably. But man, fuck that.

Senua

Gold Member
I love tinkering and customising things to make them my own, I love doing this with cars too. PC is that, if ya just wana get from A to B then console is fine, but I'm way too much of a dork for that.

Oh and git gud Greg.

Top Bottom