• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Greg Zeschuk, Ray Muzyka are leaving BioWare and the video game industry

ironcreed

Banned
It's been going downhill for years now. While they still have managed to make some games I have enjoyed, with each new game of the past few years it seemed that they were less and less of what they once were. Now with this, I would not be surprised to see the BioWare brand eventually dropped altogether and be renamed EA... whatever.

Dennis

Banned
looks like the two recognized the time is right and have enough money for rest of their lives :p

What a sad end for their careers then.

To see their reputation pissed away by DA2, Mass Effect 2 and TORtanic.

I wonder how much we can blame EA.

vaelic

Banned
regardless of their blog posts, its quite simple

they dont want any part of a sinking ship. best to bail now. they'll be back elsewhere

DieH@rd

Banned
video-game-memes-papea-kills-off-developers.jpg

With every day we are closer to this ^

Sounds like both guys got in and out of the industry for all the right reasons. Best of luck to them both in their future endeavors.

Edit: It's silly and opportunistic to blame EA for this after reading both of their personal feelings. I'm sure both guys have tons of respect for the coworkers they left behind.

Ryan_IGN

Since it's both of them leaving simultaneously, I would venture a GUESS (just a personal guess!) that they both had clauses in their contract with EA after the acquisition that said they both had to stay on through a certain date. That time is likely up, so they're both out the door.

vaelic

Banned
regardless of their blog posts, its quite simple

they dont want any part of a sinking ship. best to bail now. they'll be back elsewhere

Sell company; cash out a few years later. Pretty typical with an acquisition. But it's clear that the last vestiges of the old Bioware are gone.

Jex

They are really leaving at a pretty ideal time. Most of their projects have, at least, been commercially successful but with the problems surrounding the MMO and other issues it's going to be some tough times ahead for the company.

Anyone that didn't see this coming from day one was joking, and I'd be absolutely amazed if EA wasn't completely and 100% ready to get rid of them.

Pooya

Ray Muzyka said:
I’ve been thrilled to see many exciting products in early development the past few months in the universes of Mass Effect and Dragon Age, as well as new content and business models for SWTOR,

so new Mass Effect game is in development? ... duh etc.

this is porbably why they announced DA3 yesterday like that. so that maybe it shows confidence in BioWare or something, to shareholders or else.

inky

I am one of the people that thought this would never happen. I was dead wrong, WOW. I actually thought these guys would be running EA one day too.

Can't think what to make of this, could be they are fed up, they wanted to cash out, they want to start anew after building a "1 billion" company from the ground up. Etc.

RIP Bioware though. We all saw that coming from a mile away.

I6f03.jpg

Although this cartoon could probably be edited to "Today" instead of "some years from now."
Seems those rumors from several months back were indeed true then. If Riccitiello leaves EA, then BioWare is well and truly fucked.

Top Bottom