• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Greg Zeschuk, Ray Muzyka are leaving BioWare and the video game industry

Sothpaw

Honestly Bioware hasn't been the same since BG2. Still crazy to think that such a previously strong company is dead.

BFIB

I loved KOTOR, Jade Empire, and Mass Effect. Played ME2, played SW:TOR for some reason, tried ME3.

Somewhere between Mass Effect and ME2 is where I started to lose faith in BioWare. Not sure where EA fits into that puzzle.

Lingitiz

Honestly Bioware hasn't been the same since BG2. Still crazy to think that such a previously strong company is dead.

I'm really interested in what the collaboration was like between Bioware and Black Isle back then. While I love alot of their current day stuff, its obvious they've moved in the far opposite direction of the complexity of BG since then.

A couple of years ago this would have been terrible news, now I'm indifferent.

Can't blame the docs for leaving. Bioware is different from what it used to be, and they have enough money to do whatever the hell they want to do for the rest of their lives. They won't have to deal with EA either, so probably less headaches.

Bioware made Baldur's Gate 2, which is my favorite game ever. RIP.

Sentenza

They've tried to buy both before (TTWO for $2 bil and Valve for $1 bil) and they'll try again.

They might try for Activision, too. Vivendi wants to unload them.
The problem (for them) is that they can hardly afford any of these companies right now.

On a side note, I wonder if they are actually growing tired of game development or this is part of some sort of non-compete clause in their contracts.
Greg Zeschuk even stated something like "Maybe some year from now, but not at the moment".

Opiate

Based on previous interviews, it does seem like these two had specific ambitions, among which were:

1) The desire to tell "epic" stories
2) The desire to present these stories with large scale, highly detailed worlds with high production values which make the worlds more believable and "immersive."

I don't think they're likely to find a better place to fulfill these two needs. I don't mean that no one will ever let them work in the games industry again; just that they aren't likely to jump ship from the largest publisher in the world and find a new publisher willing to give them more money than they were already getting. I don't think expecting their future games to have equivalent production values or design is plausible.

That's why this move is so interesting to me.

inky

LOL, from where is EA going to come out with the kind of money needed to buy Activision now? I don't think they can even afford either TTWO or Valve.

Pooya

I don't think they're likely to find a better place to fulfill these two needs. I don't mean that no one will ever let them work in the games industry again; just that they aren't likely to jump ship from the largest publisher in the world and find a new publisher willing to give them more money than they were already getting. I don't think expecting their future games to have equivalent production values or design is plausible.

That's why this move is so interesting to me.

they say they are quitting the game industry.

volturnus

Banned
Incredible how it feels exactly like when the Stamper brothers left Rare. It even happened after the same period (4 years after being purchased), if I recall correctly.

I hope EA don't screw over Edmonton by moving the studio. Hopefully there was a clause in the Bioware sale to EA contract that keeps a studio in that city.

Got to work with these guys a bit when I lived in Edmonton and they are both class acts. Willing to take the time to chat with even the lowliest of worker ants, I know Bioware, and games in general, will miss them dearly.

On a more positive note this is just a reminder to follow your passions. Get out there folks!

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I had fantastic time with their games before their passion ran out. Thanks for everything, doctors. And goodbye.

Opiate

I just can't believe the DRs even agreed to be bought out in the first place.

It absolutely made sense to me: they wanted to make big, "immersive" worlds to tell their stories through. That takes a lot of money, and no one at the time had more money than EA.

The appeal of a sugar daddy is extremely high for companies making the sort of expensive, high production games Bioware seem interested in designing.

miladesn said:
they say they are quitting the game industry.

Okay, that seems more rational. As I said, I don't see how they could reasonably expect to push their vision of game design any further than they already have. Their particular vision requires lots of money, and nobody is going to throw money around like EA does.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Warren Spector (56)
Peter Molyneux (53)
Ron Gilbert (48)

Yuji Horii (58)
Yu Suzuki (54)
Will Wright (52)

About the news: maybe these guys could get acquainted with Richard Garriott and bond over anti-EA stories (and design a kickass game while they are at it).

Riposte

You are right in thinking BG2 being a changing point, but it isn't dead. It has just changed into something unfamiliar. At some point every cell in its body has been replaced.

I think people like to blame EA a little too eagerly. Maybe it is the case that EA pushed them to be something else, but looking at the design philosophies the leaders of BioWare would bring up in interviews, I can totally see the change coming from within.

Perkel

Banned
It absolutely made sense to me: they wanted to make big, "immersive" worlds to tell their stories through. That takes a lot of money, and no one at the time had more money than EA.

The appeal of a sugar daddy is extremely high for companies make the sort of expensive, high production games Bioware seem interested in designing.

Opiate
Depressingly Realistic

Can't say I care much about Bioware, especially in the latter half of the generation so the news doesn't bug me much.

It is fascinating though.

test_account

XP-39C²
This is one of the first times i've seen they've not been referred to as doctors (which made little sense to me in the first place, concidering their PhD has nothing to do with games as far as i know). But interesting to see what will happen further with Bioware.

InertiaXr

This is one of the first times i've seen they've not been referred to as doctors (which made little sense to me in the first place, concidering their PhD has nothing to do with games as far as i know). But interesting to see what will happen further with Bioware.
Many different doctorates dictate that you are always called Dr. even if it has nothing to do with your current field. Same way US Presidents are always called President even after they are out of office. It's a societal mark of respect.

Lancehead

You are right in thinking BG2 being a changing point, but it isn't dead. It has just changed into something unfamiliar. At some point every cell in its body has been replaced.

I think people like to blame EA a little too eagerly. Maybe it is the case that EA pushed them to be something else, but looking at the design philosophies the leaders of BioWare would bring up in interviews, I can totally see the change coming from within.

The core problem I see with BioWare is that they've changed their design philosophies to fit whatever business models they wanted to pursue.

I remember the doctors saying they couldn't believe they made BGII and that they'd never make another such game again. I believe they said that because they couldn't see or weren't interested in a business model to fit that type of game in.

Dennis

Banned
I remember the doctors saying they couldn't believe they made BGII and that they'd never make another such game again. I believe they said that because they couldn't see a business model to fit that type of game in.

That was always baloney though.

DA:O while not quite BG2 was not a bad effort.

I hate the "You couldn't make BG2 today" meme.

Give Obsidian 15-20 million and they could.

Opiate

While I agree that you could make Baldur's Gate today, for quite some time it really did seem like the market for that sort of game was gone or was in the process of evaporating.

I know many PC gamers don't like to admit this, but 2001-2006 were dark times for the platform, financially. Revenue really was going down, and the "PC is dying" meme was not some absurd claim that only console die hards make; it was a rational, plausible scenario. The PS2 took it to the PC as a gaming platform pretty hard, with that single, lone platform representing something like 70% of the entire gaming market by revenue. Think about that.

But the PS3/360 have not stuck it to PC gaming nearly as hard as their predecessors did; PC gaming has been growing year over year since 2006 or so, often by leaps and bounds. Today, there is most definitely a market for games on PC, as Obsidian's Project Eternity testifies to.

But when Bioware made their shift -- a shift not only to a console focus, but towards a specific, non-BG style of design -- it was not crazy to believe that the days of BG-esque games were numbered. PC seemed to be on its way out. Consoles and dudebro were on the rise. What may seem like an obvious mistake now seemed like an inevitable conclusion in 2005.

Lancehead

That was always baloney though.

DA:O while not quite BG2 was not a bad effort.

I hate the "You couldn't make BG2 today" meme.

Give Obsidian 15-20 million and they could.

Sure you could, I'm not denying that.

As for DA:O, the big difference is the content, and as Opiate alluded to there was no way DA:O could've been another BGII.

xenist

This makes me so sad. No matter all the nonsense Bioware was into, in the back of my mind I always had the hope that the Doctors would freak out and start busting heads and steering the ship right again. Well, EA 1 - Me 0.

From Baldur's Gate to Mass Effect, precious few companies gave me such an awesome time. Have fun with whatever you do next Dr. Ray and Dr. Greg.

Fox Mulder

They've tried to buy both before (TTWO for $2 bil and Valve for $1 bil) and they'll try again.

They might try for Activision, too. Vivendi wants to unload them.

which is why I said they need a time machine. EA is not in the position to afford that kind of buyout anymore.

test_account

XP-39C²
Many different doctorates dictate that you are always called Dr. even if it has nothing to do with your current field. Same way US Presidents are always called President even after they are out of office. It's a societal mark of respect.
Yeah, that is probably the reason, but i dont see why it is relevant. I've never seen people been called for "garbage driver", "cleaner", "physcologist" etc. etc. (which are all very important jobs) if they work with something completely else.

Why did they skip DICE and go to BioWare first? Also Criterion! Why did they skip them too?

Coz DICE don't seem to mind losing their creative control. They happily gave up creative integrity to roll out Battlefield as a COD-me too game.
Criterion are similar, they waved goodbye to the franchise that made them so popular and embraced NFS from the bloody remains of Black Box.

Have no fear, no matter how much DICE and Criterion tow the company line, if they slip up once and they'll be gutted too.

xenist

Yeah, that is probably the reason, but i dont see why it is relevant. I've never seen people been called for "garbage driver", "cleaner", "physcologist" etc. etc. (which are all very important jobs) if they work with something completely else.

It is just the proper thing to do. Like calling an older man you don't know 'sir.'

InertiaXr

It takes a lot of work to become a 'doctor' in the academic sense or become president. Society likes to lay praise upon those who do very impressive things.

robin2

While I agree that you could make Baldur's Gate today, for quite some time it really did seem like the market for that sort of game was gone or was in the process of evaporating.

I know many PC gamers don't like to admit this, but 2001-2006 were dark times for the platform, financially. Revenue really was going down, and the "PC is dying" meme was not some absurd claim that only console die hards make; it was a rational, plausible scenario. The PS2 took it to the PC as a gaming platform pretty hard, with that single, lone platform representing something like 70% of the entire gaming market by revenue. Think about that.

But the PS3/360 have not stuck it to PC gaming nearly as hard as their predecessors did; PC gaming has been growing year over year since 2006 or so, often by leaps and bounds. Today, there is most definitely a market for games on PC, as Obsidian's Project Eternity testifies to.

But when Bioware made their shift -- a shift not only to a console focus, but towards a specific, non-BG style of design -- it was not crazy to believe that the days of BG-esque games were numbered. PC seemed to be on its way out. Consoles and dudebro were on the rise. What may seem like an obvious mistake now seemed like an inevitable conclusion in 2005.

I agree with your analysis. Those were chaotic years for the PC.

Top Bottom