• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grenfell Tower residents urge visitors to stop taking selfies

Dalek

Grenfell Tower residents urge visitors to stop taking selfies: 'You want to slap the phones out of their hands'

DCm8uWIW0AA6Xd7.jpg

West London residents have expressed outrage at the influx of visitors taking selfies in front of Grenfell Tower and urged guests to refrain from partaking in “grief tourism”.

Numerous signs have been erected around the fire-ravaged 24-storey west London building urging visitors to “stop taking pictures please” and “stop taking selfies”.

Bystanders are said to be taking photos in front of the blackened skeleton without paying their respects to the 79 people who lost their lives in the inferno or engaging in relief efforts.

Wayne Kilo Lewis, who lived in the attached block to Grenfell for almost three decades, told The Independent anger among local residents was rising.

The 36-year-old, who lost a number of friends in the deadly fire, said locals and volunteers were telling visitors taking selfies to “show some respect” but they were ignoring their warnings and continuing to take photos.

“People are saying ‘show some respect this is not the time and place for it’ but they have continued doing it and just walked away to do it elsewhere,” he recalled.

“You don’t want to confront them because it’s all so sensitive but it gets to the stage you have so much upset and rage you just want to slap the phone out of their hands.”

He added: “It’s a disgusting sight which people who are trying to grieve do not want to see or ought to see. All the years in and out of that tower block, I could not physically stand there and look at the building because it was too overwhelming and emotional imagining the people trying to escape, and then people around you are having a laugh.”

Mr Lewis, who has lived in the adjoining block from the day he was born, claimed the groups of visitors were made up of people who had made the journey down from further afield and some young people from the area.

“The kids think it’s a normal thing but the adults should know better,” he added. “It is heartbreaking to behave like that in front of people who have nothing. The residents have had to stand up to say this is not a tourist attraction or somewhere to have fun.”

“If you’re going to go to such a tragic area, pay respect, console people, talk to people, don’t just use that opportunity as a ‘selfie moment’ or act like it’s a party turning up in bright clothes and fresh trainers like it’s Notting Hill Carnival and chasing girls to get their numbers.”

i feel like this kind of our behavior has always happened the only difference is people now put their faces in front of it too

The hell is wrong with people. Use some common sense.

i feel like this kind of our behavior has always happened the only difference is people now put their faces in front of it too
To add yourself in the photo - probably with a smile on your face - is a new level of disrespect though.

Zaph

Photos, by themselves, can document any tone, but putting your face in front underlines it has a happy/vanity photo.

Preezy

It reminds me of when I visited the 9/11 memorial in NYC, and there were loads of people doing big happy smiley photos/selfies in front of the rememberance pools. Felt like pushing them in, the knobs.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
In 20 years no one will believe you were anywhere unless there's a poorly framed out of focus crooked shot of you smiling like an idiot in front of the barely visible location behind you.

SpaceWolf

Banned
I mean, a plethora of people have taken selfies at fucking Auschwitz, unfortunately...so it's kind of hard to be surprised by this.

Zakalwe

Banned
Selfie culture is one of the more obvious ways in which people can prove they're completely out of touch with the world around them.

I don't understand how low awareness levels need to be for people to do things like this.

bosseye

Some people are so self absorbed. Why would you take jolly selfies in front of a blackened ruin, still full of bodies of those who died in it, in the midst of grieving friends/relatives/community. Beggars belief.

I'm going on holiday to london in about 6 weeks, our hotel is about a mile from grenfell, might go visit but no way would i take a selfie

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
People get outraged on the internet, and probably also do the same exact behavior.

It's the new norm, get used to it. Do you really, actually, honestly give a shit if someone is taking a selfie anywhere? Does it actually take away from anyone that they do it?

They aren't harming anyone. I mean you see this stuff come up every so often and people outrage, but honestly.. why are you outraged? It's a photo.

Seems a little dumb they included "#selfie" to the sign. You just know mindless selfie enthusiasts eyes are going to be drawn JUST TO that and they are going to say, "#selfie? Don't mind if I do!"

Though, a part of me is riddled with the mystery of the sign next to it, "I love Paindans"

Zakalwe

Banned
People get outraged on the internet, and probably also do the same exact behavior.

It's the new norm, get used to it. Do you really, actually, honestly give a shit if someone is taking a selfie anywhere? Does it actually take away from anyone that they do it?

They aren't harming anyone. I mean you see this stuff come up every so often and people outrage, but honestly.. why are you outraged? It's a photo.

We've found a selfie addict.

Chocolate & Vanilla

Fuck Strawberry
Selfies are the worst. Even in genuine tourist places it's like "Hey, here's a picture of the Taj Mahal... that you can't see because my stupid, weirdly shaped head and gurning face are in the way. Love me as much as I love me.".

Lo-Volt

I definitely agree with the sentiment: bereavement tourism is really hurtful to the people in the background of your photo.

I'm a little more hesitant about the 9/11 Memorial example. September 11 ushered in a tempest of feelings, sure, but at the end of the day, the memorial plaza is a public place. People will act as they do on public and should generally be encouraged to. Because if they don't, then the area will never get stitched back into the urban quilt. It almost defeats the purpose of the reconstruction project if we build a cemetery and wander through like zombies. Manhattan is for the living, not the dead. One day (definitely not today when the feelings are so raw and the fallen are still left in place), Grenfell will just be for living again too, and that transition should be celebrated when it does eventually happen.

It's not the photo that's the problem, but the outright refusal to show any decorum or respect for the locals affected by a tragedy.

Too soon. Completely tasteless people.

It does bring up a good discussion point. At what point IS tourism acceptable for things like this? At some point we become detached from a tragedy and just recognize it as a historic event. There was a big discussion about this when the 9/11 memorial opened and there was a gift shop.

Selfies are the worst. Even in genuine tourist places it's like "Hey, here's a picture of the Taj Mahal... that you can't see because my stupid, weirdly shaped head and gurning face are in the way. Love me as much as I love me.".

Selfies are fine if done correctly. If you are somewhere by yourself are you really going to hand a stranger your phone? What you are describing is just a bad picture, there are plenty of awesome selfies that capture the cool thing in the background in its entirety.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member

Gonna go to your loved one's funeral and take a smiling selfie in front of their casket, with bonus points if you're crying in the background.

Get with the times mang!

Chocolate & Vanilla

Fuck Strawberry
Seems a little dumb they included "#selfie" to the sign. You just know mindless selfie enthusiasts eyes are going to be drawn JUST TO that and they are going to say, "#selfie? Don't mind if I do!"

Though, a part of me is riddled with the mystery of the sign next to it, "I love Paindans"

How have you not heard of Paindans? Multicoloured beams of light that put a smile on anyones face

rjinaz

620-breanna9tuby.jpg

Internet made it easy for one to live within an own social bubble

As I recall, there was a story about that particular girl. Her Father had recently died and they had always talked about visiting the memorial but never got a chance to before he died. She was happy at that moment because she made it there. It was a happy moment for her, it wasn't just her being a selfish prick.

But that said, people do take selfies like that, obviously, I just think it's unfair to group her in there with them. Though it probably didn't help her case by texting it as a selfie without context I'll grant you.

It's not something that should or even can be explained. If you don't understand why people are annoyed or angry that others are taking selfies in front of a building that burned down and killed dozens of people, you're, well, dumb.

Parch

Yup, it's gross.
Probably the biggest annoyance is that there is a generation that think this type of behavior is "normal".
Insensitive. Disrespectful. Gross.

620-breanna9tuby.jpg

The worst thing is when you go to Auschwitz, before the tour even begins, they remind people that this is a place with a pretty grim history and they ask people specifically to not take selfies out of respect.

Of course it never works. When I went there was a guy who took a selfie with his bloody selfie stick every 6 seconds.

God I really, really hate selfie culture.

Zaph

Fucking hell. Its likely there are still bodies in the building.

Its disrespectful. Its treating their lives and situations as though it were a zoo. Not only that but by the nature of a 'selfie' you're imposing yourself on the image of a tragedy that you just walk away from and give no care to.

Also, its relatively trite to use the word 'outrage' to describe situations such as this. It also gives the wrong connotation to this. People are not 'outraged', the residents are unhappy with their tragedy being treated like a photo op.

If you honestly don't see that then fair enough but don't use the implication of 'outage culture' when people who have been horribly affected by something are asking you to stop being dicks.

The worst thing is when you go to Auschwitz, before the tour even begins, they remind people that this is a place with a pretty grim history and they ask people specifically to not take selfies out of respect.

Of course it never works. When I went there was a guy who took a selfie with his bloody selfie stick every 6 seconds.

God I really, really hate selfie culture.

That would be the understatement of the last 2000 years.

bosseye

It's just totally tone deaf and not appropriate when many of the charred bodies are still in the damn building.

Miles X

No better than those ridiculous overlays people put on their facebook profile pictures.

'I'm helping!!' 'I stand with you'

lol

rjinaz

No better than those ridiculous overlays people put on their facebook profile pictures.

lol

Eh, I mean I think it's shallow, but it comes from a good place with no ill intent. These people taking selfies are actually being considerably selfish and may actually affect the families of those that died if they are seen doing it, causing the families more anger and grief. It's a big difference.

lol

Man and I thought I was cynical. It's just a nice gesture. Sure some people may be deluded enough to think they are making a difference but I doubt its the majority.

Condom

Yep, this came to mind. People will always bet at heart with being selfish idiots. We must try to over come our own dumbness.
Is it really people being idiots or people being rewarded by likes?

If those people got a backlash on social media by their friends/followers then they would stop. As of now though it is culturally supported in some circles.

Behind every dumb behavior is a community ready to reinforce it.

oh and they are idiots

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
“You don’t want to confront them because it’s all so sensitive but it gets to the stage you have so much upset and rage you just want to slap the phone out of their hands

Just do it. Seriously.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
620-breanna9tuby.jpg

A smiley face? Seriously?

Reminds me of
170523125935-trump-signs-guest-book-at-yad-vashem-holocaust-memorial-museum-exlarge-169.jpg

People really need to stop and think about what they are doing. Taking a picture of just the 9/11 memorial in NY City for example if you are sharing how beautiful a memorial it is and making mention of the horrible tragedy is one thing. Taking an selfie with you at the scene of tragedy is just ... well.. you have no respect or you are celebrating it as a victory for your cause IMO.

Top Bottom