• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Greta Thunberg to make new documentary series for the BBC

Tesseract

Banned
da greeb hew sheel ishz gawnsta became lit af bruh

Greta-Thunberg.jpg

ROMhack

I don't get why this guy got a permaban. Isn't GAF about being able to state your opinion freely? Isn't that what makes this forum an interesting place to visit, in contrast to the shithole hivemind that is Resetera?

Glad you said it. I agree.

Edit: Asked in the ban thread and was told he was being a dick in other threads.

Last edited:

pr0cs

Glad you said it. I agree.
Does feel strange, I think his commentary is nuts and he wouldn't have a lick of a chance to actually defend any of it beyond opinion but to be banned for it feels pretty heavy handed.
I am too lazy to read the rest of their postings so... Meh

ROMhack

Does feel strange, I think his commentary is nuts and he wouldn't have a lick of a chance to actually defend any of it beyond opinion but to be banned for it feels pretty heavy handed.
I am too lazy to read the rest of their postings so... Meh

Just got a response about it in the ban thread. Seems they were being preachy across multiple threads.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Do y’all think she still practices self harming? When she was like 11 she stopped eating and her parents indulged her and look where we are now.
There's a reason people like this girl, this girl is making dudes feel nervous because of talking.
Libs love hiding behind children see also “kids in cages” etc.

I wonder what it is doing to her psyche tho, playing this role of the upset little child. She is 17 now, will she keep the act up throughout her formative years? She is more useful to the narrative as an infantilized child so I am guessing yes.

She will be the crying child at age 31 some day and it will be truly sad and people will say “oh what a shame” as if all this attention has nothing to do with it.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Whenever someone tries to discredit Greta Thunberg's activism by saying she's flying on airplanes and similar paper-thin arguments all I can think about is Matt Bors' "Mr. Gotcha" comics.

tumblr_odgkwxn99w1qh3h8wo1_1280.png

Dz2YcfUW0AA1MvY

Last edited:

ruvikx

Banned
Whenever someone tries to discredit Greta Thunberg's activism by saying she's flying on airplanes and similar paper-thin arguments all I can think about is Matt Bors' "Mr. Gotcha" comics.

Dz2YcfUW0AA1MvY

Whenever someone actually tries to pretend a teenage daughter of Swedish far left activists suddenly had the means & influence to speak in national parliaments, the UN & go globetrotting around the world without a very rich & powerfull special interest group dictating the show, I'm reminded of the most severe cases of absolute brainwashing seen only in the saddest moments of history (i.e. religious fanaticism, Soviet Union etc.). Wake the hell up, Greta is literal propaganda & anyone who promotes this "miracle child" is either complicit or gullible.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
The comic you shared is filled with some many false equivalencies that it's actually kind of funny.
indeed. people that really like this meme are almost telling on themselves. it is enforcing conformism. it is discounting genuine discussion, reminding me of that "Let people enjoy things" meme. it is also full of terrible presentism.

take this one.

panel 3, this is equating car seat belts (which is a physical safety issue. car accidents kill an average of over 3,000 people a day AFTER we have implemented such safety measures) with posting. how are we comparing a demand for holding our corporations accountable to greater public safety by improving their products to somebody complaining about corporate tax policy and workers in China? one is a direct physical threat. a car accident could kill any of us on any day. the other is a complaint about how international businesses run pay their taxes, pay their workers, and charge for their phones. essentially a complaint about how Apple prices things.

some guy pops in, comically, to ask a question that nobody asked. when Ralph Nader was bringing the seat belt issue to congress, they weren't saying "Yet you bought a car without one". this is presentism, a kind of common trope people fall into these days. it is ahistorical and promotes ignorance. it is fake news history. this is why this is a bad meme. nobody actually said this.

how about panel 4? the people who were intelligent smart asses in the Medieval Ages were actually working for the system, they were scholars, Latin writers, people that worked for the church and state producing official religious texts and legal documents. they were the media class. the access elite. the same people who are pundits now were working for the Catholic church during the witch trials, saying "These Christians are so barbaric and idiotic" while working directly for them. we can draw a pretty good line directly from those Latin fetishizing do-nothing "humanists" to current Ivory Tower privilege. they would shed a tear for someone at a witch trial, despite having penned the paperwork which sentenced the condemned to death.

this panel also infantilizes the medieval peasant again, boiling him down to a simpleton who asks "improve society somewhat?". this is an outdated trope, the idiot peasant, and it is historically inaccurate. i refer you to the Peasant's Revolt of 1381.

"peasants" were not just idiot manual laborers so condescendingly depicted here and elsewhere. this calculated yet failed revolution proves as much. it was purposefully directed, they knew who were the authorities to locate, as well as where the necessary documents and legal paperwork were stored that kept them oppressed. they actually succeeded at capturing the King of England and getting him to give up fuedalism (for this the king's advisers turned on him & quickly quashed the rebellion) it's a fascinating story. better than this trash comic.

just as well, comparing yourself typing away on an iPhone to a medieval peasant is beyond stupid and idiotic. look at the physical realities they lived in, the fact that they lacked so many of the comforts you take for granted. take plumbing for example. you don't have to shit in a bucket and then carry it to compost pile. or eat stale bread again for dinner. be glad for that!

we live in extreme historic privilege and bad memes like this contribute to our obliviousness.

Last edited:
Can someone in short tell me her qualifications and deeds? Ok she is an activist but besides talking, what did she do? Leonardo DiCaprio talks but he is also a millionaire and gives away tons of cash trying to make this climate change a thing for the better. I know what he does.

What does she do besides like everyone else with a Twitter account. Or is this special because its cool we have a passionate kid that should be instead playing with Barbie dolls? How exactly is she helping the cause... everyone knows whats climate change, i dont need someone to tell me its there, i want to hear solutions, not bitching at the government.

Last edited:
Can someone in short tell me her qualifications and deeds? Ok she is an activist but besides talking, what did she do? Leonardo DiCaprio talks but he is also a millionaire and gives away tons of cash trying to make this climate change a thing for the better. I know what he does.
She is a female and she is a child.

Just be like blly and congratulate her on 'doing a great job' and stop asking questions (because you won't get them answered, it seems).

Last edited:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
NOLA_Gaffer NOLA_Gaffer That strip does pretty much the classic leftist thing. Someone finds a valid argument against their insanity and that valid argument gets popular, but instead of countering it, they give it a name, and just yell that name. See also concern trolling, whataboutery, "did you just #notallmen me???" etc. It works in a similar way to calling people racist - a way of hiding behind a slogan instead of engaging in debate. It's intellectually dishonest. I miss the sane left. I miss being able to vote Labour, etc without feeling like a complete cunt.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom