• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grimes - Art Angels |OT| Out now! Welcome to REALiTi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Partition

Banned
Grimes performed Venus Fly with Janelle tonight!

https://instagram.com/p/9-LCsfSaRu/

CTlqC4_U8AArf_F.jpg

udiie

oh man id have killed to see that live
she did a pretty solid rendition of it on her own though so cant complain really

JCX

Ugh I would pay so much just to see them do this one song live. Seen them individually and they are both some of the best live performers.

OMG I was at the Atlanta show tonight and the place about caved in when Janelle came out! It was sick as. Her show was great overall but she was only on for just under an hour which was a tad disappointing. Was super satisfied though that she ended with Kill v Maim :D

Resilient

SO GOOD
!

listened to it through work today, holy shit! it's fucking great. i need new headphones. it's just ...great listening ah!!!

chvrches

lmao i can't

call me when chvrches doesn't release the same shit with a different album cover and shows as much progression as Grimes did with this album. Visions and Art Angels are worlds apart, The Bones of What You Believe and Every Open Eye are the same piles of shit.
You're gunning pretty hard, but honestly, the new album does sound like it's in the same ballpark as Chvrches. Which isn't bad per se, but calling the release of a broad, accessible pop album a "progression" is not as accurate as maybe a "shift" in the eyes of many. It's primarily a stylistic choice; if you removed the haze and upped the beat drops and fidelity of Visions, you'd probably find that there's a lot more change in the arenas of production and presentation than in terms of musical structures and ideas.

"The Bones of What You Believe" and "Art Angels" both got the exact same ratings on Pitchfork (8.5) and garnered many of the same descriptions. I don't get why a Grimes fan would be so high-handed towards Chvrches. Someone else will have to clue me in on why that makes sense.

For the record, I don't like either of them. :p

Servbot24

Banned
You're gunning pretty hard, but honestly, the new album does sound like it's in the same ballpark as Chvrches. Which isn't bad per se, but calling the release of a broad, accessible pop album a "progression" is not as accurate as maybe a "shift" in the eyes of many. It's primarily a stylistic choice; if you removed the haze and upped the beat drops and fidelity of Visions, you'd probably find that there's a lot more change in the arenas of production and presentation than in terms of musical structures and ideas.

"The Bones of What You Believe" and "Art Angels" both got the exact same ratings on Pitchfork (8.5) and garnered many of the same descriptions. I don't get why a Grimes fan would be so high-handed towards Chvrches. Someone else will have to clue me in on why that makes sense.

For the record, I don't like either of them. :p

Chvrches is just much more stale and generic than Grimes (at least Art Angels - earlier grimes had the same flaws). They are pleasant, and perfectly valid to enjoy, but they're unwilling to offend, which Art Angels is constantly happy to do. Really the only similarities is that there are female vocals, synths, and traditional pop song structures.

Chvrches is just much more stale and generic than Grimes (at least Art Angels - earlier grimes had the same flaws). They are pleasant, and perfectly valid to enjoy, but they're unwilling to offend, which Art Angels is constantly happy to do. Really the only similarities is that there are female vocals, synths, and traditional pop song structures.
I guess I really don't hear what is even mildly "offensive" in Art Angels?

Dany

Banned
The more I listen, the more I'm enjoying it. Realiti is growing on me along with world princess I.

I don't know how you can listen on anything less than max volume.

RMI

Banned
Gotta say that the first time I heard Scream I was like, "oh man I'm not so sure about this, I hope it's the outlier." and now I'm feeling pretty dumb about that. It's a jam.

People were lamenting how this album was Grimes gravitating towards mainstream pop, but honestly if mainstream pop sounded more like this (i.e. idiosyncratic and not so much like it was manufactured for mass appeal) I'd be more inclined to listen to it. I'm not that familiar with Chvrches catalog, but from the songs I've heard, I can say that if Grimes sounded like that I might agree with those lamentations I'd heard earlier.

No offense to Chvrches fans, but they sound pretty bland to me.

lol @ opinion shift in this thread after reviews

Yeah I don't know that anyone has had any big turn around in opinion because of review scores on this one.

Resilient

I don't even pop GAF but churches and grimes comparison is....wow. Next we gonna have people in here saying she's on the same level as Purity Ring. Lmao get real. GRIMES is head and shoulders past churches. Churches are nice and all but they don't push any boundaries, and they z me. This album has me bopping right now.

I was really hoping janellegrimesphotography.com was nothing but pictures of JM and Grimes on vacation having fun together, but alas, it's just some lame two-bit photography studio.

http://janellegrimesphotography.com/galleries.html

Can somebody make what I want? I need to see more pictures of the two coolest chicks in music together. This is like when David Bowie and Freddy Mercury got together and wrote Under Pressure, except that this is important.

RMI

Banned
I don't even pop GAF but churches and grimes comparison is....wow. Next we gonna have people in here saying she's on the same level as Purity Ring. Lmao get real. GRIMES is head and shoulders past churches. Churches are nice and all but they don't push any boundaries, and they z me. This album has me bopping right now.

LOL. No, I know there is someone who will argue any position on GAF but this would legit surprise me.

Futureman

Will Butler reviews (or discusses) Art Angels:
http://thetalkhouse.com/music/talks/will-butler-arcade-fire-talks-grimes-art-angels/

the song “Artangels” brings up the same suspicions I feel about “She Moves in Mysterious Ways.” I just keep wondering if the funkiness is justified. There’s no reason for my doubt — it’s prejudicial.

There’s a lot of filter sweeps on the bass and drums, either at the starts of songs or the ends of songs or in the middle of songs, and it instantly makes me feel like I’m listening to “I’m blue boo da ba dee da boo die doo daba dee daboo die.” That’s just the song that was everywhere in my teenage years, and I hated it. And I hate it still.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I'm fairly easy to persuade re: music. Reviews (text, not scores) have pointed out things I wasn't noticing before and contextualised the musician and the scene for me.

I listen to lot, but I've been through this cycle too many times to dig my heels in the ground and claim originality of opinion. I tend to go with the P4-esque crowd fairly happily, with a few exceptions here and there. If I like something, a bad review is less likely to persuade me otherwise, if I don't like something, a good review can win me over. That's the case here. There don't really seem to be any downsides. I just get more music to listen to.

I think I'm not alone here, and I wish more people would just be open about this. I mediate this behaviour by not being aggressive about things I don't like unless I can articulate it cleanly, which with music is often extremely hard to do. I admire good reviews.

Looking forward to seeing Grimes in concert in Feb! :)

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
That's a good way to describe the different personalities of the two albums. I personally really liked Visions because it reminded me of the contemplative analog synth work of Hans Joachim Roedelius (Cluster, Harmonia, Roedelius), but with a lot of energy and a really cool voice. The guy's stuff is so unique and warm, you should hear it. Definitely don't feel that as much with the new one, so it's not entirely up my alley but I still hear the idiosyncrasies and stuff that made me like her in the new songs.

Trident

Loaded With Aspartame
Grimes does all her own writing/production as well as performing? That's fucking awesome. What a singular talent.

This is probably my album of the year, and there's something about the idea of a solo auteur that I always loved.

Blader

She's playing Boston next Friday. Went to buy tickets today. All sold out, except for people price gouging $25 tickets for hundreds.

Feels bad man :(

Art Angels has the most identifiable and strongest personality of either artists' catalogue, and strong personality is always going to cause divisive reaction.

People were lamenting how this album was Grimes gravitating towards mainstream pop, but honestly if mainstream pop sounded more like this (i.e. idiosyncratic and not so much like it was manufactured for mass appeal) I'd be more inclined to listen to it. I'm not that familiar with Chvrches catalog, but from the songs I've heard, I can say that if Grimes sounded like that I might agree with those lamentations I'd heard earlier.

No offense to Chvrches fans, but they sound pretty bland to me.
I do have to agree that Grimes has a lot more "flavor" than Chvrches. I've never been a fan of Chvrches, and like you guys always found them really generic. But I also felt like a lot of what made Grimes' recordings more idiosyncratic was her recording it herself, not some sort of artistic aspiration -- in otherwords, if she could greater emulate glossy, high-production pop, she absolutely would. Her new album shows her skills to that end have certainly grown. I mean it's actually quite impressive how close she can get to something that was put together by a team of lackeys for pop stars that are backed by huge labels. I have a reflexive aversion to overly sweet pop but I do really respect that she is capable of doing it all herself. Will have to give Art Angels a serious listen, but I was never all that enamored with the older, quirkier recordings so I'm probably not going to go for a glossier version of that music.

RMI

Banned
But I also felt like a lot of what made Grimes' recordings more idiosyncratic was her recording it herself, not some sort of artistic aspiration -- in otherwords, if she could greater emulate glossy, high-production pop, she absolutely would. Her new album shows her skills to that end have certainly grown. I mean it's actually quite impressive how close she can get to something that was put together by a team of lackeys for pop stars that are backed by huge labels. I have a reflexive aversion to overly sweet pop but I do really respect that she is capable of doing it all herself.

Her doing it herself is absolutely the the reason it sounds like it does, but I don't think think it's because she is less capable than a team assembled by a huge label. What I'm saying is that the difference between Grimes and Taylor Swift (or any other mainstream pop act) is a bit more nuanced than you're making it out to be, and maybe it's because of your aforementioned aversion to overly sweet pop. It's like some people cannot stand hip-hop or country music, so when they hear even great examples of it they can't get past that prejudice. I've been there.

Blader

:( that sucks, I thinks she said she's gonna do a full US tour next year though

Hope so.

I should've jumped on the tickets earlier, but it took like a week to convince my girlfriend to go. :lol
Phone Sex and Kill v. Maim got her on board

Her doing it herself is absolutely the the reason it sounds like it does, but I don't think think it's because she is less capable than a team assembled by a huge label. What I'm saying is that the difference between Grimes and Taylor Swift (or any other mainstream pop act) is a bit more nuanced than you're making it out to be, and maybe it's because of your aforementioned aversion to overly sweet pop. It's like some people cannot stand hip-hop or country music, so when they hear even great examples of it they can't get past that prejudice. I've been there.

He said she's grown and that the album is impressive, not sure what else you want him to say.

I think at this point I appreciate Grimes for who she is and what she represents more than i like her music. The album sounds produced for laptop speakers, and that makes it almost painful for me to listen to. It's just so thin. I've heard ultra-glossy pop that at least uses a full frequency range.

I like most of the songs from Pin onward, but I can't stand to listen to anything before that for long enough to appreciate the lyrics. She's obviously carried off what she intended to do with the album, and I respect her for that. 'Visions' created a world that felt a bit hermetic and fragile, and it very often felt like home for me. 'Art Angels' is obviously not made for someone with my preferences or biases, and that's fine.

I still really, really like Realiti.

Meier

I don't get what's so good about Kill V Maim. I want to, but... :(
I heard this at Fun Fun Fun Fest before actually hearing the new album and it was pretty fucking great.

Once I got back to work on Tuesday, I finally listened to the new album. It's different. Very different. I still liked it, but there's definitely an adjustment period that is necessary.

Meier

I'm going to a CHVRCHES concert tomorrow and going to see Grimes in March next year.

*shrugs*
They both played at FFFF. Chvrches as a headliner on Friday, Grimes as a subheadliner on Saturday. I definitely like Chvrches more, by a wide margin, but Grimes is very good as well and I was excited to see her. I thought her performance at ACL last year (or the year before that? Can't recall) was better than her show on Saturday which felt a little bit uninspired at times. But she kicked into high gear towards the end with Kill v Maim (which I had not yet heard before she played it) being particularly great live. She called it her favorite song on the new record.

Partition

Banned
I think at this point I appreciate Grimes for who she is and what she represents more than i like her music. The album sounds produced for laptop speakers, and that makes it almost painful for me to listen to. It's just so thin. I've heard ultra-glossy pop that at least uses a full frequency range.

Actually it's definitely meant for headphones. The production is so layered (as is all Grimes songs) that it can be hard to pick up on the vocals when using speakers because of the bass.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Just discovered this today. Got up to Flesh without blood and played it on repeat no fewer than 20 times immediately afterward. Love this song. Decided to try to listen to the rest of the album and now I'm really enjoying Kill V. Maim.

Going to have to check out some of her other stuff after this.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Man, World Princess sounds so cool. It kinda wears out its welcome and gets repetitive, but it has this immense sound. Really love the way she produces.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom