• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GRIP | Rollcage successor out now on Steam Early Access [PC, now w/ online MP}

Ac30

Hey guys, lovin all the comments so far. Thanks for the support, as usual

Going to address a few things:

Multiplayer: Right now we've got 2 player split screen, but we want to have 4 player, just don't know an ETA. We also want to implement online MP as soon as we can. We know this is a big draw for a lot of people, as rollcage was bananas in multiplayer

Kickstarter: yeah it bombed like a seagull in a McDonald's parking lot. BUT we've moved forward and early access is the ticket

Resolution Options: My god, yeah. Brutal setup right now. I tried to get Rob (the one who makes the game do stuff) to make it change via a button, but he had a lot on his already full plate.

Dev discussion: Yep, we're pretty involved. We like to stay on top of things and really soak in the feedback. I may actually be guilty of spending too much time in the community.

Difficulty/physics: The game can be hard, yes. The physics don't help in this respect, but neither does my Industrial track in a lot of spots. It was my first ever racetrack, so it's got it's share of problems. I'm going to spend some time before the next patch making it flow better, with less frustrating collisions.

Things that we've got at the top of our priority list for next patch:

• Controller Inputs - supporting all gamepads and having input configurable in general
  • Tracks - increase playability and flow
  • Handling - tweak sensitivity profiles for keyboard vs gamepad
  • UI - fix resolution options and HUD bugs
  • Physics - taming collisions (ie: PhysX) and giving the car a better sense of traction. This may not make it for next patch though. Big job

There's more, but I don't want to look at my list right now, as I'm in a good mood. :p

Again, thanks for the comments, and if you have any more questions, feel free

Game looks amazing, but I'm a little concerned about the final track count -- by 12 tracks, do you mean 12 tracks with various layouts of each track or 12 in total?

daxy

This looks like something I could get into. If/once they add online multiplayer I'll give it a shot.

Game looks amazing, but I'm a little concerned about the final track count -- by 12 tracks, do you mean 12 tracks with various layouts of each track or 12 in total?
Looking online, Rollcage has 4 worlds and around 14 tracks, so this has about the same amount.

Plus arenas and "precision mode (with a few tracks)", which IMO means precision mode will have its own tracks

Elixist

Man the feel is already crazy good, might have a competitor to gta5 (fun cars) on our hands

edit: may spoke a lil soon seein some of the glitches now. Still as an arcade racing fanboy this is a treat, excited for its future.

If you have an Xbox elite controller or a Steam controller binding the weapon buttons to the paddles/grips is a god send.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Bought. This sort of thing is fun to jump in at the start, get a feel for how it drives and see how they evolve things over the coming months.

Tadie

@ Chris_CagedElement

Can you please create a lvl with much water? Waterfalls, underwater passages and so on.....

Water in racing games rockz!

I really love this game :)

Keep it up!

[...]
Again, thanks for the comments, and if you have any more questions, feel free

Yes, this is what every developer should do. Listening to the community and being crystal clear with the game priorities.

I never buy Early Access, but I'm really tempted with this one. Nice old Rollcage. I just don't want to play it until it releases, but man, do I know myself... But also I want to help you guys buying it now, lol.

What do.

Yudoken

It's a UE4 game made by a sane company. I haven't checked, but I'd be very surprised if there was a framerate limit.

Today I experienced 144hz monitor with Rocket League on a 980ti for the first time on m,y friends pc
It's ridiculously cool and smooth, people need to try it out!
I'm a believer in 144hz now =D

killroy87

Been keeping an eye on this, glad you guys are able to move ahead! I'll pick it up on early access to support, but I'll wait until a few updates have hit to play it. I want my first experience to be decently polished.

Best of luck!

This was actually written a while ago on the Store page, as it's been updated now. We're aiming for more like 16 tracks and 12 cars (3 classes), as production has picked up quite a bit and content creation more streamlined.

"Tracks" entails actual racetracks, and doesn't include Arenas or Playgrounds

Agreed. The HUD is terribad though. Takes wayyyyy too much real estate. Hope they are working on that.
Are you talking about the current HUD? Because the current one is about half the size as the previous.

@ Chris_CagedElement

Can you please create a lvl with much water? Waterfalls, underwater passages and so on.....

Water in racing games rockz!

I really love this game :)

Keep it up!
Yeah, we'd like to have a track on Liddo5 with a bunch of waterfalls and possibly a coastal section. Water adds a lot of motion to levels, and that's usually a good thing

What's the framerates limit on this? If I can play at 144 I'm in.
None. Someone on the GRIP forum reported 144 fps, I'm pretty sure

Yes, this is what every developer should do. Listening to the community and being crystal clear with the game priorities.

I never buy Early Access, but I'm really tempted with this one. Nice old Rollcage. I just don't want to play it until it releases, but man, do I know myself... But also I want to help you guys buying it now, lol.

What do.
I feel like this should be absolutely mandatory for early access. The game is so early in development and gamers are taking a chance on it so the least the devs can do is keep them informed.

And don't feel pressured to buy, but you can if you want ;)

Is there possibly a way to implement a better resolution selection? Getting to 1440p is a chore with having to go through all resolutions and individual hz to get to the one you want. Also, is there a way to fire weapons backwards yet? I recall being able to do that in Rollcage Stage II, and didn't know if that would be something that Grip was going to add or not.

Ran into my first glitch today as well. Was hitting a car with the machine gun and nothing was happening. Wasn't a big deal or anything, just a minor annoyance. Overall, though, after spending the time to get the hang of it, I love it. Ready for online multi so I can start gifting copies to friends.

Oh whoa, I lost track of this after the failed Kickstarter and now it's out in Early Access? Neat. I'm trying to limit my gaming purchases but I'm definitely putting this on my list.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

What do.

Buy it to support the devs, maybe have a little play as a taster, possibly provide some feedback regarding how it plays. Then put it away until it progresses more?

dsk1210

Picked this up last night, looks lovely although the 660 I am having to use for the time being does it no justice.

Hopefully have a new setup next week and I will be playing this split screen with my son.

game is super early access but i am digging the hell out of it. never played either rollcage title but apparently i missed out.

anyone know how much is up in the air in terms of development? i have serious gripes with the controls but i understand that eventually they will have cars that handle differently so maybe i just need to be patient.

the understeer that occurs when you oversteer is especially annoying.

that's the nature of these games. Razors edge control.

understood, but in a game called Grip where you can easily drive up walls and on ceilings, it feels weird to suffer from understeer when you're oversteering. i just feel like i'm losing control/driving backwards a little too often. it's not hard to recover, it's just not fun to suddenly interrupt the breakneck pace of the game because you hit a mine or took a corner slightly wrong and now you're facing backwards with no traction.

but like i said, i'm assuming that once the different teams/vehicles are implemented there will be one that suits my driving style (usually handling over speed).

New update
Gameplay:
New car! The tank class vehicle is now available to drive.It is a bit slower off the line, but has a higher top speed and less twitchy handling compared to the first vehicle
Improved drivability: The vehicles now behave more predictably when colliding with walls or other cars, and are more enjoyable to drive in general (car physics and handling are WIP)
New Game Modes! In the race setup options, you are now able to enable reverse and/or mirror mode.The existing tracks feel and look very different with these enabled, so give it a try!
Destructible vehicles: In the race setup menu, you can now enable vehicles to be destroyed, making the race not only about winning, but also about staying alive
AI are now more aggressive in passing opponents (car vs car collisions are still WIP)
Better missile navigation (WIP)
Fixed a bunch of issues with split screen functionality

Levels:
Transport: Improved overall visual quality, changed layout for some sections, added race barriers and blocking volumes (this level is still a WIP)
Industrial: Added reverse mode specific assets, improved flow and barriers
Alhatra Wastes: Added reverse mode specific assets, improved flow and barriers (still a WIP)

Visual:
Gamepad navigation now works properly in the menus
HUD now has glitching out effects that occur when the player is hit by missiles or is highly damaged
Menu is now easier to navigate (note: this is a temporary UI, and will be overhauled in the coming months)
New forcefield barrier in the levels
New loading screen with tips
Resolution options in menu are now changed via button press
Various improvements and optimizations

Audio:
Two new ingame music tracks!"Crash City" by Xtigma, and "Boost Empire" by Mart-E
New sounds for vehicle engines as well as some pick-ups
Reverb can now be heard in enclosed spaces
Overall better sound attenuation, mastering and mixing

courtesy bump for this. re-installed the game over the weekend and spent a little bit of time with it (it received another update earlier in June) and they've really come a long way with fixing some of my initial issues with the early access release in February. the heavier 2nd car is definitely more my style, and it's MUCH harder to get turned around after getting pummeled by weapons. suggest anyone who hasn't checked in for awhile giving it another look.

gngf123

Seems like there's some nice progress being made on the multiplayer. The private branch now has it.

Halloween update also brings a new car and some other goodies. Next update should have menu fixes which will be good.

New car looks awesome:

VintekWarlander.jpg

PantsuJo

Seems like there's some nice progress being made on the multiplayer. The private branch now has it.

Halloween update also brings a new car and some other goodies. Next update should have menu fixes which will be good.

New car looks awesome:

VintekWarlander.jpg
Fucking awesome

ShadowOwl

Did anyone play GRIP on an old potato PC? It looks awesome but I'm not too sure if my system can handle it at low settings (Core 2 Quad Q9550, 4 GB RAM, Radeon HD 5770).

Been watching this game for a good while. Really excited now that they have online multiplayer.

Probably get it if the population numbers are good.

MaLDo

A big update for this game has come today. New car, new track, better performance and a big improvement in physics/gameplay/controls. It's .... I think it's perfect.

Still lacking controller support in main menu. Racing and pause menu work with controller. Some tracks are WIP. Exclusive fullscreen mode doesn't allow downsampling. But borderless + downsampling desktop works, and is perfectly smooth.

Really fun game and visually outstanding.

Gotta hop back in. I played it a few times and got stomped online, kept falling. It looks and feels good already. Hope they add 4player splitscreen in a timely manner.

Top Bottom