• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GROUNDBREAKING NEWS:Prejudiced People Invoke “Free Speech” to Mask Their Racism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Guys, can you believe it???? Can you believe it??? Are you blown away by this totally surprising news? Source
“When people make appeals to democratic principles — like ‘freedom of speech’ — they don’t always represent a genuine interest in that principle,” White said. “We think of principles as ideas we use to guide behavior in our everyday lives. Our data show something different — that we tend to make up our mind on something based on our attitudes — in this case, racial attitudes — and then decide that the principle is relevant or irrelevant. People do whatever best fits their pre-existing attitudes.”

“We look at people who defend another’s racist speech — for example, defending someone who got fired for going into a racist rant at work — with a ‘free speech’ argument,” Crandall said. “What do we know about people making this argument? The correlation between using the free speech defense and people’s own racial prejudice is pretty high. It’s racists defending racists.”

Indeed, the new study reveals a positive correlation (Pearson r = .43) between having racial prejudice and defending racist speech using the “free speech argument” — a stronger correlation than the researchers expected.

White and Crandall recruited hundreds of participants via the Amazon Mechanical Turk service, conducting several interrelated studies where participants responded to descriptions of recent news events or readings involving someone being punished for racist speech. The racial attitudes of the respondents themselves were gauged using the Henry and Sears Symbolic Racism 2000 scale, a standard measure of racial prejudice in social psychology and political science.

One finding suggests many who defend racist speech using the “free speech argument” might not extend the same principle of free speech to negative comments aimed at authority figures or the public in general.

“You might think that, ‘Maybe people who defend this racist speech are just big fans of free speech, that they’re principled supporters of freedom,’” Crandall said. “Well, no. We give them a ‘news’ article with the same speech aimed at police — and prejudice scores are completely uncorrelated with defending speech aimed at police — and also uncorrelated with snarky speech aimed at customers at a coffee shop, but with no racial content.”
giphy.gif

Indeed, people with high levels of prejudice were very sensitive to their own freedom of expression.

“They weren’t defending their own attitudes, as much as ‘defending to the death their right to say it,’” Crandall said. “Just so long as the ‘it’ is the prejudiced speech they share.”
Sarcastic-No-Way-Kristen-Wiig-Reaction-Gif.gif

legacyzero

Banned
Complaining about people using their free speech as intended, regardless of the content other than direct threats of violence and yelling bomb on an air plane, is a bit like Call of Duty 4 players bitching about the M16 with red dot sight. It's available for everyone to use. It's just not cool when others do it.

You don't get to dictate what the constitution means just because you disapprove of it. You don't get to pick and chose when and when not to apply the constitution.

That's some Republican shit. Let them keep it. You think they approve of abortions because it's protected by the constitution? Hell no. All your asses would be learning the Ten Commandments in Elementary school if crazy evangelical right wing nuts could bypass the First.

And I also find it rich that the ACLU is celebrated here in regards to Trump, but when they dare to defend even a racists right to free speech...... Preaching about "principles" in this subject his is hilarious.

And before I get dog-piled, (because I know I will) because some gladly forsake the law when it's inconvenient to them, but point at the other side when they try and take the same liberties. It's bullshit.

Even MORE bullshit (and common lately) is people throwing around the word "racist" against people that dare to call shit down the middle.

Wanna include hate speech in the first? Put a government in place that can change it.
Wait until they find out hate speech isn't protected by the first amendment.
Show me where it isn't. Proof. And I'll flip my entire stance.

I don't like hate speech either. It's fuckin terrible. But the first doesn't exist so everyone can only say what you like. It doesn't work that way.

Edit- GOD I can't type on an iPhone. Are there any other keyboards I can use? Lol

Lundren

Banned
"People use free speech as a get out of jail free card to be racist shitbags."

"They have every right to! Both sides are the same!"

People are allowed to "complain" about racists. Freedom of speech doesn't mean we can't call out assholes.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Complaining about people using their free speech as intended, regardless of the content other than direct threats of violence and yelling bomb on an air plane, is a bit like Call of Duty 4 players bitching about the M16 with red dot sight. It's available for everyone to use. It's just not cool when others do it.

You don't get to dictate what the constitution means just because you disapprove of it. You don't get to pick and chose when and when not to apply the constitution.

That's some Republican shit. Let them keep it. You think they approve of abortions because it's protected by the constitution? Hell no. All your asses would be learning the Ten Commandments in Elementary school if crazy evangelical right wing nuts could bypass the First.

And I also find it rich that the ACLU is celebrated here in regards to Trump, but when they dare to defend even a racists right to free speech...... Preaching about "principles" in this subject his is hilarious.

And before I get dog-piled, (because I know I will) because some gladly forsake the law when it's inconvenient to them, but point at the other side when they try and take the same liberties. It's bullshit.

Even MORE bullshit (and common lately) is people throwing around the word "racist" against people that dare to call shit down the middle.

Wanna include hate speech in the first? Put a government in place that can change it.
Free speech doesn't mean freedom of consequences. Which is why invoking freedom of speech when it comes to prejudice is absolutely ridiculous. And I have no interest in entertaining the "middle ground" of racism/sexism/xenophobia/misogyny etc. as there are genuinely no valid arguments to support them because they're inherently as illogical as the flat earth theory.

No shit but doesn't mean we should get rid of free speech.
The more progressive places that exist outside of the U.S. are partly that way because of clear cut laws about hate speech.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom