• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Research shows prejudice, not principle, often underpins ‘free-speech defense’

Slayven

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2017-05/uok-rsp050317.php

Two researchers at the University of Kansas have conducted a study suggesting that "explicit racial prejudice is a reliable predictor of the 'free speech defense' of racist expression."

The paper authored by Mark H. White, a graduate student in psychology, and Christian Crandall, professor of psychology, appears online currently in the Journal of Personality and Social Psychology.

"When people make appeals to democratic principles -- like 'freedom of speech' -- they don't always represent a genuine interest in that principle," White said. "We think of principles as ideas we use to guide behavior in our everyday lives. Our data show something different -- that we tend to make up our mind on something based on our attitudes -- in this case, racial attitudes -- and then decide that the principle is relevant or irrelevant. People do whatever best fits their pre-existing attitudes."

"We look at people who defend another's racist speech -- for example, defending someone who got fired for going into a racist rant at work -- with a 'free speech' argument," Crandall said. "What do we know about people making this argument? The correlation between using the free speech defense and people's own racial prejudice is pretty high. It's racists defending racists."

Indeed, the new study reveals a positive correlation (Pearson r = .43) between having racial prejudice and defending racist speech using the "free speech argument" -- a stronger correlation than the researchers expected.

White and Crandall recruited hundreds of participants via the Amazon Mechanical Turk service, conducting several interrelated studies where participants responded to descriptions of recent news events or readings involving someone being punished for racist speech. The racial attitudes of the respondents themselves were gauged using the Henry and Sears Symbolic Racism 2000 scale, a standard measure of racial prejudice in social psychology and political science.

CzVPy3KWQAAqjS_.jpg

Link to the paper
http://psycnet.apa.org/psycinfo/2017-17075-001/

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
The people that are fighting for the free speech of racists turn out to have racist views/motivations? i would have never guessed.

soco

That's been very clear for a while. It's not just racism, it's been all sorts of bias. We've seen it during gamergate and other situations as well.

Also, let's be honest, most Americans don't seem to know what their right to "free speech" actually means.

yeah but how do we know the technology involved wasn't inherently reverse racist? the story seems to have a pretty blatant anti-free speech bias if you ask me

yeah this isn't surprising

The Kree

Banned
"When people make appeals to democratic principles -- like 'freedom of speech' -- they don't always represent a genuine interest in that principle," White said. "We think of principles as ideas we use to guide behavior in our everyday lives. Our data show something different -- that we tend to make up our mind on something based on our attitudes -- in this case, racial attitudes -- and then decide that the principle is relevant or irrelevant. People do whatever best fits their pre-existing attitudes."

"We look at people who defend another's racist speech -- for example, defending someone who got fired for going into a racist rant at work -- with a 'free speech' argument," Crandall said. "What do we know about people making this argument? The correlation between using the free speech defense and people's own racial prejudice is pretty high. It's racists defending racists."

7977695.gif

Crocodile

This shouldn't be a surprise to anyone and is unfortunately why I have to start sending some side-eye when I hear it being thrown out nowadays.. "Free Speech" has a very specific meaning (the government can't jail/touch you for anything you say or write with very few exceptions) but you hear it thrown out ALL the time in tons of irrelevant scenarios. Its almost never in defense of say groups like BLM but rather in defense of Nazis and those spouting bigotry/misogyny/etc. So often when people are screaming for "free speech" what they actually mean is "I or person X should be able to say whatever we what whenever we want wherever we want without any pushback or any consequence". That's not what "Free Speech" is or how it works.

"often underpins". It doesn't really matter if it's the majority of cases or a significant minority or whatever. Most people aren't guided by principle on anything.

Where the rubber hits the road on this question is mostly a conflict between the government and the ACLU.

Fuchsdh

Great, looking forward to being called racist a lot more.

The fact that people ignore principles to favor their biases should be pretty self-evident, though. Liberals are all for big government until Trump is in power, conservatives are all "states rights" until they can stomp on some poor and/or black people.

Why does the article and their press release not actually have a link to read the study?

Research shows that "often" will be read as "always."

Anyway, I suspect most people are willing to go to bat for speech that they agree with.

"The fact that people ignore principles to favor their biases should be pretty self-evident, though. Liberals are all for big government until Trump is in power, conservatives are all "states rights" until they can stomp on some poor and/or black people."

This is the wackest both-sides I've ever seen.

Deepwater

The fact that people ignore principles to favor their biases should be pretty self-evident, though. Liberals are all for big government until Trump is in power, conservatives are all "states rights" until they can stomp on some poor and/or black people.

Why does the article and their press release not actually have a link to read the study?

because the study is paywalled behind an academic journal, as most academic studies tend to be

tuxfool

Banned

what?

ISOM

What has Trump done that is big government? He has sought to eliminate many of the laws and regulations that would entail a "big government" approach. False equivalency for the sake of it is dumb.

Redd

.....wow

ISOM

I mean just looking at healthcare, if Trump came out with a public option fix to Obamacare I don't think many Liberals would disagree or hate him for it. But he hasn't so what the hell are you talking about.

Okay.

You do make yourself sound pretty racist here.

Slayven

Added the link in the Op

Slayven

The fact that people ignore principles to favor their biases should be pretty self-evident, though
. Liberals are all for big government until Trump is in power, conservatives are all "states rights" until they can stomp on some poor and/or black people.

So what you are saying they are right?

Somnid

I don't really care why people invoke free-speech, I just care that it's the standard of discourse. If you want to out yourself as an asshole, be my guest, less guesswork for the rest of us.

legend166

unless someone's threatening to put you in jail for it, it's not a free speech issue.

I think this is a simplistic view free speech, especially in the age of social media when dog piling and public shaming make it incredibly easy for small groups of people to shut down speech.

I agree that freedom of speech doesn't equal freedom from consequence of speech, but if our view of free speech is so narrow that only violence from the state can infringe it, it's not really free speech.

But hey I'm just a racist defending other racists so what do I know.

Matt

I'm a pretty ardent free speech supporter, but yeah, often I don't like the company that seems to put me in...

Deepwater

I think this is a simplistic view free speech, especially in the age of social media when dog piling and public shaming make it incredibly easy for small groups of people to shut down speech.

I agree that freedom of speech doesn't equal freedom from consequence of speech, but if our view of free speech is so narrow that only violence from the state can infringe it, it's not really free speech.

you started out good but then you had to go and holler like a hit dog

Derwind

Protesting hate speech is also a way you excercise speech. So would trying to stifle that be considered silencing speech?

Or maybe let's stop using free speech as a crutch for hate speech without consequence.

Or better yet stop telling people that are being dehumanized and threatened by dangerous bigots to find a better way, while offering no tangible solution.

fauxtrot

Banned
Gonna have fun pulling out this study when people criticize leftist groups that put the boots to racist demonstrators. Thanks!

I'm a big free speech guy, but yeah nowadays (maybe always) the principle is most often invoked by people who don't know--and don't care to know--what it actually means, what it actually protects. They just exploit it because they have no other leg to stand on. Makes me sad that "muh free speech" has become a joke or even a slur for so many.

Liberals aren't opposed to big government. They're opposed to big government that implements bone-headed, idiotic, and myopic decisions like cutting the EPA budget, seeking to ban people based on religion, and trying to spend millions on unnecessary border protections.

Given how ass-backwards some states are in the US (sorry, southern states), I'm still a fan of big government over-riding the less progressive ideologies some southern states would love to cling to if allowed. I just disagree with the current administration's usage of that power.

Amir0x

Banned
you mean the antifa thugs were trying to stop racist hateful nazi fucks from spewing garbage at pretend "free speech" rallies

lé gasp

The bill of rights is a limit on the powers of the federal government. That's what it does. So currently, when people say that some college student protesting someone like Milo speaking at their university is an "affront to freedom of speech", is just wrong.

If someone wants to go to a University and tell black people, immigrants and gays to fuck off in a speech, people can tell that guy to fuck off before they get the chance to. That is an exercise of their first amendment rights as well. People on the right trying to argue that white supremacists have a right to large platforms and no one can say anything about it because "first amendment", don't know what they are talking about because the government isn't involved in this scenario at all.

Ogodei

The dangerous part of this comes from something i read recently which says that Human Rights are susceptible to a tragedy of the commons, whereby the Right has a certain amount of exhaustible capital. People draw on that capital to use the right to defend something unpopular. You can use free speech to defend Nazis, but it's like sending your sheep to graze in the village commons. You can do it once in a while, but do it too much and the commons become exhausted, and suddenly there's a demand for an amendment against Hate Speech.

Breads

Banned
You mean when people misappropriate the protection you (usually) have to say what you want without prosecution from the government it might be for a motive far removed from the original intent?

D i Z

Wrong. It is. What happens socially between parties engaged in discourse whether cordially or adversarially is something else entirely.
There is no legal recourse for losing an argument or presenting information that others find to be toxic and offensive.

legend166

The bill of rights is a limit on the powers of the federal government. That's what it does. So currently, when people say that some college student protesting someone like Milo speaking at their university is an "affront to freedom of speech", is just wrong.

If someone wants to go to a University and tell black people, immigrants and gays to fuck off in a speech, people can tell that guy to fuck off before they get the chance to. That is an exercise of their first amendment rights as well. People on the right trying to argue that white supremacists have a right to large platforms and no one can say anything about it because "first amendment", don't know what they are talking about because the government isn't involved in this scenario at all.

My point is that free speech is a concept that should and does exist outside of its definition in the bill of rights. I'm not American so the bill of rights doesn't apply to me. Heck, Australia didn't even have free speech protected in its constitution.

My point isn't to defend racists. Let's use the victims of GamerGate who lost their jobs due to people harassing their employers due to speech that GamerGaters didn't like. Obviously we don't shrug our shoulders and say "Eh, No state violence involved, therefore no free speech concerns." It's never been easier for someone to lose their livelihood due to what one group may view as offensive speech. No one cares when it's the racist, but you don't exactly have to look hard to find people you agree with having their speech curtailed.

Like I said earlier, I'm not arguing against the consequences of speech. It's paradoxical and a bit of a contradiction, yeah. And I admit it's a balance thing. All I'm saying is free speech is something people should try and encourage outside of its implementation in law. Because what happens when the law changes?

Sianos

A person who invests enough energy to write essays philosophizing about edge cases of the general principle of free speech that despite their apparent passion for the topic cannot bring themselves to go through the effort of saying in no uncertain terms that "racism is morally reprehensible" is showing quite a suspicious discrepancy.

Beware inconsistent demands for rigor! Someone who only perks up when it's time to defend Nazis yet bent over backwards to condemn Kaepernick doesn't actually care about absolute free speech.

is there any chance you could, like, ask for a refund on my single or something

"The fact that people ignore principles to favor their biases should be pretty self-evident, though. Liberals are all for big government until Trump is in power, conservatives are all "states rights" until they can stomp on some poor and/or black people."

This is the wackest both-sides I've ever seen.

Whatever.

You probably love welfare for the poor but hate corporate welfare. #bothsides

Got

Banned

#bothsides amirite? Good thing we know better than these other schlubs. Wink wink

Top Bottom