• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grounded Full Release tomorrow. Reviews coming in

geary

Cohh seems to have finished the game after 80 hours and he’s saying it’s one the best game in the genre.

Raven117

Played about an hour…. Liked what I played.

Now I just want avowed from obsidian (and pentitent sp). It’s all good

Mr.ODST

Last played on its first version, been playing with my friends and enjoy it so much, found an ant hill and when we finally got enough resources to brave it, there was this crazy underground network and we are working towards tackling it and seeing what we find.

Love it

Nico_D

My and my son's project, started after 1.0 released, cellar and two floors and the roof. All four towers will be getting pollen turrets and the balcony a pebblet turret when we afford it.

Currently have five ziplines connected to the roof.

66s4qy4.jpg

DaGwaphics

I've never understood the appeal of exploring a tiny world filled with giant bugs. I would never buy this game in a million years.

I'll try it out sometime though since there's a story mode. Not expecting a ton, but I've never played it.

The viewing aspect that they use does a great job of making you feel small. I played it a bit when the preview first went live, it was very buggy :messenger_beaming: at that point, it should be better now.

Roberts

Even though me and my friend tried it a few times when it was in ea, we decided to start over with 1.0. We don’t get to play it too much - around 8-10 hours a week but I guess we are somewhere half-way through now.

I know it has tons of players but, damn, it isn’t been talked about enough. Just pure joy exploring all the corners of the backyard and caves below.

The art style creates an illusion that it is a kiddie game but it is anything but. Super challenging, unforgiving and does’t hold your hand at all - at the time when open world games pretty much tell you exactly what you need to do and point you in the right direction, Grounded let’s you figure it out on your own. For example, you find a chest but there is no key. Good luck with that! You just need to explore, find hidden areas and hopefully find a key hidden area somewhere relatively close by.

The story is way darker than what you would expect from a Honey, I shrunk the Kids inspired scenario and the combat has hours and hours of learning curve.

There is a sophisticated RPG progression system that rewards you if you just explore and find new stuff. It’s also ocassionally very funny in that somewhat cynical Obsidian kind of way.

For me it is kind of perfect and I would not hesitate to call it one of my favourite games ever.

Last edited:
Even though me and my friend tried it a few times when it was in ea, we decided to start over with 1.0. We don’t get to play it too much - around 8-10 hours a week but I guess we are somewhere half-way through now.

I know it has tons of players but, damn, it isn’t been talked about enough. Just pure joy exploring all the corners of the backyard and caves below.

The art style creates an illusion that it is a kiddie game but it is anything but. Super challenging, unforgiving and does’t hold your hand at all - at the time when open world games pretty much tell you everything you need to go and point you in the right direction, Grounded let’s you figure it out on your own. For example, you find a chest but there is no key. Good luck with that! You just need to explore, find hidden areas and hopefully find a key hidden area somewhere relatively close by.

The story is way darker than what you would expect from a Honey, I shrunk the Kids inspired scenario and the combat has hours and hours of learning curve.

There is a sophisticated RPG progression system that rewards you if you just explore and find new stuff. It’s also ocassionally very funny in that somewhat cynical Obsidian kind of way.

For me it is kind of perfect and I would not hesitate to call it one of my favourite games ever.
Dang, I gotta try this sometime soon

Roberts

Dang, I gotta try this sometime soon
Will you do single player or with friends? There is a certain charm playing alone and I do that when the friend can't make it, so I just upgrade our base and craft some stuff, but combat is a lot easier with a teammate as you can aggro while the other one attacks relentlessly from behind.

The art style creates an illusion that it is a kiddie game but it is anything but. Super challenging, unforgiving and does’t hold your hand at all - at the time when open world games pretty much tell you everything you need to go and point you in the right direction, Grounded let’s you figure it out on your own. For example, you find a chest but there is no key. Good luck with that! You just need to explore, find hidden areas and hopefully find a key hidden area somewhere relatively close by.

Rolled the credits a few days ago. My first survival game.

Must say due to lack of hand holding, it was similarly satisfying as finishing your first Soulsborne game

Roberts

Rolled the credits a few days ago. My first survival game.

Must say due to lack of hand holding, it was similarly satisfying as finishing your first Soulsborne game
The funny thing is that yesterday we were just goofing around, doing all kinds of non-essential things and I said to my friend that I'm so not in a hurry to finish it, because I simply enjoy it too much.

Where did you build your base, if you don't mind me asking? We built one right at the beginning next to the strange machine on one of the more elevated spots, but I'm not sure if that is the best idea.

Last edited:

gothmog

Gold Member
I finished it but had strong positive and negative feelings about it. I feel like the preview kinda sunk it for me as most of my gripes was that the game felt bolted together at best sometimes. I also thought the crafting while deep had no real bearing on the game itself.

reinking

Gold Member
I played a lot during early access but it has been hard for me to get back to it. Kind of like NMS. I played a ton of it at release but can't get back to it.

The funny thing is that yesterday we were just goofing around, doing all kinds of non-essential things and I said to my friend that I'm so not in a hurry to finish it, because I simply enjoy it too much.

Where did you build your base, if you don't mind me asking? We built one right at the beginning next to the strange machine on one of the more elevated spots, but I'm not sure if that is the best idea.

We built near Oak tree.

With a high structure to connect zip lines to all parts of map so we could farm resources faster.

d6eZGKB.png

Hopefully you can see in background.

Agree, we also took our time. It's a very relaxing game. Music, base building, exploration etc really is calming, I can spend hours just collecting resources and base building.

Roberts

We built near Oak tree.

With a high structure to connect zip lines to all parts of map so we could farm resources faster.

d6eZGKB.png

Hopefully you can see in background.

Agree, we also took our time. It's a very relaxing game. Music, base building, exploration etc really is calming, I can spend hours just collecting resources and base building.

Awesome, that tower is pure Avant-garde.

We are still building ziplines across the map, but, yeah, it makes traversal so much faster and easier.

Will you do single player or with friends? There is a certain charm playing alone and I do that when the friend can't make it, so I just upgrade our base and craft some stuff, but combat is a lot easier with a teammate as you can aggro while the other one attacks relentlessly from behind.
Probably single player. Multiplayer would be great but is difficult with my current lifestyle and living situation. I can play Splatoon 3 with randoms but thats probably it.

Probably single player. Multiplayer would be great but is difficult with my current lifestyle and living situation. I can play Splatoon 3 with randoms but thats probably it.

Would be quiet an achievement if you can finish it on your own I think.

Would be easier with friends. You don't need to be playing together, you can progress on your own, then join them when possible. It does not require you to buy a server and progress is saved with all players if you set it on. It's workable I think.

TBH hard part is finding friends who are nuts enough to finish this game.

Roberts

can i turn off enemies and still earn achievements? the enemies are so annoying
I have no clue, to be honest. I know there are three difficulty settings. I guess the easiest one (Mild) would be more to your liking. I mean, you can't really progress in the game without killing stuff (well, you can find certain corpses here and there and loot them)

Top Bottom