• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pulse Elites come out in a week, where are the reviews?

SoraNoKuni

Want audio quality? Don't buy wireless headphones.

fight me bruce lee GIF
I am an "audio-enthusiast" but come on, Sony makes the XM*, sure not flat at all and don't win any audio awards but surely decent cans.
The bandwidth over their proprietary wireless transmitting thingy for their gaming headsets probably can't transmit high bitrates but they could probably do better, there are decent wireless headsets out there even for gaming.

F355

Neo Member
Will these headphones be an improvement over the 3D pulses on games like Pubg and cod, I’m thinking footstep sounds

King Dazzar

is there a specific type of solution to use? or do I just need to use a microfiber cloth?
If worried, I'd be inclined to use leather furniture cleaner and protection cream. It should protect them really well. My leather recliner still looks like new by using them and should work well on any leather type material.

Glad you're happy with the sound. Unfortunately I've owned the likes of AKG's 712 Pro's and these aren't at that level. But I agree that the spacious sound stage is great. Definite step up from the 3D's.

King Dazzar

Do i need to charge the thing for a long time before use? Or i can just use them out of the box?
Mine came 90% charged and I used them straight away. Then charged them for 30minutes to get them to max a while later. My understanding is that these will charge from zero to full in 2.5hrs. I'd use them straight out of the box.

GymWolf

Mine came 90% charged and I used them straight away. Then charged them for 30minutes to get them to max a while later. My understanding is that these will charge from zero to full in 2.5hrs. I'd use them straight out of the box.
No my question was if they need like a 10 hours first charge like some other electronic stuff, not related to how many charge they have out of the box.

Some stuff with lithium battery sometimes specify a long first charge.

Borowski_1

If worried, I'd be inclined to use leather furniture cleaner and protection cream. It should protect them really well. My leather recliner still looks like new by using them and should work well on any leather type material.

Glad you're happy with the sound. Unfortunately I've owned the likes of AKG's 712 Pro's and these aren't at that level. But I agree that the spacious sound stage is great. Definite step up from the 3D's.
Those are pretty immersive

King Dazzar

No my question was if they need like a 10 hours first charge like some other electronic stuff, not related to how many charge they have out of the box.

Some stuff with lithium battery sometimes specify a long first charge.
Nothing in the literature suggests that. And the fact that its allowed to be constantly placed on a charging cradle, makes me think you have nothing to worry about.

Makes sense. These are less than half the price of AKG 712 Pros. Kind of impressive they punch high enough to mention.

King Dazzar

Makes sense. These are less than half the price of AKG 712 Pros. Kind of impressive they punch high enough to mention.
Yeah, cant be pushed as hard and lack a little bass, but spacious sound stage is up there. But its the usability feature set which is great for me. Only thing I wish, was that you could control the Bluetooth volume from the headset and or PS5. We may yet see more improvements in the future though...

Yeah, cant be pushed as hard and lack a little bass, but spacious sound stage is up there. But its the usability feature set which is great for me. Only thing I wish, was that you could control the Bluetooth volume from the headset and or PS5. We may yet see more improvements in the future though...
Yeah def. I’m really impressed. They’re my first set of planar, so didn’t know what to expect. I’ve used lots of higher end headphones - grado rs2x, etc - and they def sound unique to me, really spacious, very clean.
Def can’t be pushed hard and they lack bass, but they’re about as close to a PlayStation version of AirPods atm. Really enjoying them, good upgrade from pulse3d which was pretty muddy.

Mr Moose

Only tried with Star Rail so far but they sound really good. Picking up things I didn't hear before and the positioning is nice. Going to try with CoD soon, maybe GT7 as well.
Cups look the same as the OG headset but they feel so much better.

FrankWza

I remember a lot of people were claiming the Pulse 3D sounded "awesome" back then.

Glad to see people came to their senses since them
They were good for the price if they fit comfortably. They were a step down from the Platinum but as good as some more expensive headsets from steelseries. At the same time the Penrose was the only similarly featured headset that blew them away and they were $249-$300. Now the Maxwell’s @$300 don't have the same sound advantage over the Elite because they're both Planar.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Nice! Mine are on the way from germany! They actually are shipping.
Poland release date moved to late april is a really shit move sony. Really shit

Is it just me or was the box for this thing insanely confusing to open? Am I just an idiot? lol

Anyway, so far so good. GT7 and Helldivers sound fantastic, super clear and the positional audio shines. Something like the Witcher 3 just sounds "better" since the audio design never felt all that great to start with. Haven't had a chance to use the mic yet.

They also seem pretty comfortable, I barely even notice they are on my head.

SRTtoZ

Update after a few days. Absolutely LOVE THESE. One of the underrated features is how they just fit on your head without any adjustment whatsoever. No fiddling with each side trying to make sure it fits evenly like other headsets. The spring inside the head strap JUST WORKS. Todd Howard would be proud.

Update after a few days. Absolutely LOVE THESE. One of the underrated features is how they just fit on your head without any adjustment whatsoever. No fiddling with each side trying to make sure it fits evenly like other headsets. The spring inside the head strap JUST WORKS. Todd Howard would be proud.

Feels a little tight around my head and ears though :(

GymWolf

So i tried this thing on pc with helldivers 2 for a couple of hours and i have 2 big problems:

In helldivers2 the npcs voices when they call stratagems or when they say stuff like take some take some are super low volume and muffled, they were crystal clear with the sony platinum headset, i don't have atmos or win sonic for headset active, just regular stereo sound, any solution? I haven't touched any audio setting, it's the same as when i was using the platinum.
Also the blue light at the end of the right part of the headset is extremely annoying in a dark room and too close to my periferical vision.

The other problem is a comfort problem and kinda hard to explain, when i fly with an airplane i'm one of those rare people that suffer from SEVERE hear pain when the airplane start landing, something about my skull not being able to release internal pressure or some shit, and when i finally land, then i have like 2-3 days where i hear muffled sounds. (But i have no idea if this is related with my problem)
The headset is actually more comfy than the platinum in term of padding and the plastic arc not drilling into my upper skull, but somehow, when i put the elite on i feel like a...light vacuum effect? I don't even know how to define it in english words, they are so effective in surronding the hear and excluding external sound that the inside of my hears feel...strange, seriously i don't know how to define what bothers me, maybe it's just a matter of getting used to a different headset but the first impressions are not great.

I'm not an audiophile but they don't really sound much different from the platinum, i haven't noticed the weakest bass nor the better clearer voices at all and because of the helldivers 2 problem, right now i can safely say that the platinum still sound better with that game.

Maybe they are just average on pc and they really shine on ps5??

P.s. i found some other people talking about this problem with the comfort and maybe their explanation is more clear:

I did not want to have the Pulse Elite strapped to my head due to the unnerving and uncomfortable air pocket left between my ears and the device.
this stale air pocket seems to compress my ears slowly.

The earcups seal the head well, but the drivers would put a lot of air pressure against your ears. Sometimes it would feel a little uncomfortable.

I think my issue may actually have been one to do with the headphone seal causing a vacuum. I have a long history of sinus pressure problems and have spent all day feeling like they are blocked and suffering ringing in my ears.

Not sure if air pocket\pressure is the same problem as mine (it sounds like it) but yeah when i put them on it kinda create something that bother the inside of my hears.

Last edited:

skit_data

The other problem is a comfort problem and kinda hard to explain, when i fly with an airplane i'm one of those rare people that suffer from SEVERE hear pain when the airplane start landing, something about my skull not being able to release internal pressure or some shit, and when i finally land, then i have like 2-3 days where i hear muffled sounds. (But i have no idea if this is related with my problem)
The headset is actually more comfy than the platinum in term of padding and the plastic arc not drilling into my upper skull, but somehow, when i put the elite on i feel like a...light vacuum effect?
It's about the middle ear not getting "ventilated" properly, at least in the air plane situation you describe.
Try doing a valsalva maneuver, it opens up the eustachian tube temporarily and allows the middle ear to depressurize.

Can't guarantee it helps with the headphone caee though, it's possible your experience is due to the occlusion or something.

Edit: You can also try chewing gum during the descent/after landing.

Last edited:

GymWolf

It's about the middle ear not getting "ventilated" properly, at least in the air plane situation you describe.
Try doing a valsalva maneuver, it opens up the eustachian tube temporarily and allows the middle ear to depressurize.

Can't guarantee it helps with the headphone caee though, it's possible your experience is due to the occlusion or something.

Edit: You can also try chewing gum during the descent/after landing.
I tried every trick in the book, nothing works, the doctor said that is physiologic, my sister has the same problem.

I don't think the headset problem is related to that because i'm reading a lot of people having this problem online and the hear thing is pretty rare, i took countless of airplanes and when i look around i'm usually the only one who is dying from pain.

Is it just me or was the box for this thing insanely confusing to open? Am I just an idiot? lol

Anyway, so far so good. GT7 and Helldivers sound fantastic, super clear and the positional audio shines. Something like the Witcher 3 just sounds "better" since the audio design never felt all that great to start with. Haven't had a chance to use the mic yet.

They also seem pretty comfortable, I barely even notice they are on my head.
You’re an idiot. There are two thin paper strips you just peel off and then the box slides out, that’s it.

GT7 sounds incredible I agree. Super good.

FrankWza

Not sure if air pocket\pressure is the same problem as mine (it sounds like it) but yeah when i put them on it kinda create something that bother the inside of my hears.
Try unscrewing the strap. If it's like the 3d there's a screw under the pad. As long as the outer brace has enough tension the headset will still stay in place but there will be less pressure.
Here's a 3d example if they are similar

Anyone else have their pulse elites keep disconnecting??? Really annoying
The Explore had this issue for some people but they released a firmware update and it was fixed.
What is sidetone?
When you can hear your own voice during chat.

King Dazzar

No its not you, its obtusely designed. Who logically thinks when you get a box you should open it at the bottom and look for two tear strips which are the same colour as the base itself. I sussed it was the bottom strips, but only after realising the top section was an origami test.

King Dazzar

Feels a little tight around my head and ears though :(
There were mixed reports I read before buying. Thankfully its fine for me and far more comfortable than the 3D's, but I get why they might not be for others. Personally I'd return if uncomfortable. But I guess you could try leaving them on something to stretch them a little over night first.

Maybe they are just average on pc and they really shine on ps5??
Only thing I would suggest trying if you haven't already, is using the Link dongle for PC over bluetooth. The Link sounds better than the bluetooth for me.

There were mixed reports I read before buying. Thankfully its fine for me and far more comfortable than the 3D's, but I get why they might not be for others. Personally I'd return if uncomfortable. But I guess you could try leaving them on something to stretch them a little over night first.

My second night using them was much better for longer gaming sessions. They are a lot more comfortable than the 3Ds

Little Mac

Gold Member
Amazon told me they’d be delivered today but USPS tracking is stating they aren’t even “out for delivery” :( Starting to think I should stop using Amazon for my videogame purchases.

Mr Moose

No its not you, its obtusely designed. Who logically thinks when you get a box you should open it at the bottom and look for two tear strips which are the same colour as the base itself. I sussed it was the bottom strips, but only after realising the top section was an origami test.
My box started to look like Digital Foundry opened it.
Ripped opening the top flap, the tag thing ripped off right after, and the charging thing was not coming out easy, I had to cut the cardboard.

King Dazzar

My box started to look like Digital Foundry opened it.
Ripped opening the top flap, the tag thing ripped off right after, and the charging thing was not coming out easy, I had to cut the cardboard.
lol, I admit, my initial thoughts were a bemused what the hell, followed a few moments later with WTF cunt designed this. The hook hanger and a couple of other cardboard elements are no more alas. 😁

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Yeah that's the reason I love pulse 3d too!
Light and you just put hm on.
Elites should be here on tuesday! can't wait to test first planars

King Dazzar

Yeah that's the reason I love pulse 3d too!
Light and you just put hm on.
Elites should be here on tuesday! can't wait to test first planars
I think you'll love them. Each sesh I use them, I like them more and more. Metro Exodus last night sounded superb. Pretty much everything is an upgrade over the 3D's for me.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I think you'll love them. Each sesh I use them, I like them more and more. Metro Exodus last night sounded superb. Pretty much everything is an upgrade over the 3D's for me.
Dude Metro fucking exodus. I finished that game good few times on pc. Love it.
I've gotten it on ps5 recently just to replay it with dualsense and 3d audio. You played exodus on ps5 or pc ?

TrebleShot

Got these earlier and have had a quick go,
They hold up very well compared with Maxwells and are infinitely more comfortable.

I’ll keep saying it - Link connection is equivalent to wired that’s the whole point and it shows.

Maxwell does not have BT and dongle connection at the same time. This does so in total this is better for my use.

King Dazzar

nice. Which 3d audio setting you use ?
So in game there is no options to worry about, I left as default. And then the PS5 OS automatically switches console audio from my AVR to the headphones when they switch on. And enables the 3D audio automatically. Which I have left at default Type 3. I do use a Audio 1 as a custom eq setting of Bass at 3 with Low at 1 and everything else 0.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
So in game there is no options to worry about, I left as default. And then the PS5 OS automatically switches console audio from my AVR to the headphones when they switch on. And enables the 3D audio automatically. Which I have left at default Type 3. I do use a Audio 1 as a custom eq setting of Bass at 3 with Low at 1 and everything else 0.
Nice. I also use type 3 with pulse 3d. And I keep it enabled system wide and I don't disable it for any game. I think the best 3d audio I've ever heard was in Returnal. I can only imagine on elite!
I also use PCM linear audio (and not bitstream) but I think it has nothing to do with headphones. It's just for hdmi out audio to tv.

And as for bass 3, low1... I've seen reviews saying it has little bass but good to hear you can solve it. And I think it saves to the device so that bass should be there on pc too. Some review mentioned it

Top Bottom