• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grow-op nutcase kills four cops, himself

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richiban

A very good friend of mine went through RCMP Depot with one of the officers that was killed. He's a mess right now, as are a lot of my friends who happen to either be cops or have jobs that closely involve officers.

I hate this world some days

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
G-d damn.

If you're going to end yourself anyway... why take out four cops as well?

G-d.

Damn...that's absolutely terrible. How could someone murder four officers like that, especially when there's absolutely no way they're going to get away with it or come out of it unharmed or even alive? I'm guessing this guy was tied to organized crime or something of the like.

Gen.Wedge said:
Damn...that's absolutely terrible. How could someone murder four officers like that, especially when there's absolutely no way they're going to get away with it or come out of it unharmed or even alive? I'm guessing this guy was tied to organized crime or something of the like.
Probably becasue if the officers would have gotten the good. The real "owners" would have killed him anyway.

android

Theoretical Magician
My uncle is a mountie near there I believe. He was transferred recently to a smaller town from Edmonton. He might have known these guys.

Suranga3

You must wonder what that idiot was thinking, even if he was caught for growing mary J he would have spent like only 8 months in jail or so.

darscot

Another perfect example for legalization of marajuana and gun control.
The guy obviously more afraid of the organised crime behind the grow then the police.

Azih

darscot said:
Another perfect example for legalization of marajuana and gun control.
The guy obviously more afraid of the organised crime behind the grow then the police.
No, I think this guy was just deranged.

Manics

Banned
I heard about this last night and my first thought was "how the hell did he managed to kill 4 officers before they even got a chance to fire back?" I mean i can see one maybe 2 cops going down from a lone gunman, but 4? I wonder how it all went down.

SickBoy

I've seen one report that suggested two cops were killed inside the hut and two later in a car outside. But everyone else says all four were killed inside.

But I would suspect that whatever happened, it was probably a case of one guy taking out two officers twice, rather than four officers at once. Of course, anything is possible.

Tarazet

Either he was an incredibly good shot, or the officers were inexperienced and panicked in the line of fire... as I'm positive I would if I was thrown into a similar no-win situation.

darscot

From what I have read they found all four bodies inside. I'm guessing he killed them seperately but moved the bodies inside. That would lead to the conflicting reports.

Richiban

sonarrat said:
Either he was an incredibly good shot, or the officers were inexperienced and panicked in the line of fire... as I'm positive I would if I was thrown into a similar no-win situation.

Apparently all four men were green. I guess from talking to my friend in the RCMP that it's a very militaristic environment that the officers with less experience get stuck doing grunt work and things like this.

I wonder what the outcome would have been like if there were more experienced officers on hand.

Again, this is what I've heard. It's merely speculation at this point.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
Richiban said:
Apparently all four men were green. I guess from talking to my friend in the RCMP that it's a very militaristic environment that the officers with less experience get stuck doing grunt work and things like this.

I wonder what the outcome would have been like if there were more experienced officers on hand.

Again, this is what I've heard. It's merely speculation at this point.

A national newspaper also identified one of the deceased as Const .Leo Johnston, a 33-year-old ace marksman. Johnson had been on the force about four years and had received Crown Pistols and Crown Rifles badges.

That guy doesn't sound too green to me. Sounds alot like an ambush.

darscot

From what I just heard on the radio it was a complete surprise the police did not believe he was even there. I dont think it has anything to do with the experience of the officers. Some nut jumped out with an asault rifle and sadly that's all there is to the story. You have to remember were this happened it's not like they were raiding some crack house in the slums of LA. They were going out to some a little farm with reports that the guy might be growing weed.

Richiban

tedtropy said:
A national newspaper also identified one of the deceased as Const .Leo Johnston, a 33-year-old ace marksman. Johnson had been on the force about four years and had received Crown Pistols and Crown Rifles badges.

That guy doesn't sound too green to me. Sounds alot like an ambush.

I read some more on the subject in our local newspaper. It was clearly an ambush. 2 officers were guarding the scene overnight, and when two more came to relieve them there were shots fired.

I really wish Canada would look into it's dangerous offender laws and rehabilitation practises. This guy has had several run-ins and problems and he was still living freely.

It's a little rediculous.

tedtropy

Pimpwerx said:
Legalize it. PEACE.

Somehow I doubt legalization would've changed the fact that this guy was a lunatic willing to kill police officers. There are arguments for legalization, certainly, but let's not make a nutjob asshole a martyr for it...

darscot

tedtropy said:
Somehow I doubt legalization would've changed the fact that this guy was a lunatic willing to kill police officers. There are arguments for legalization, certainly, but let's not make a nutjob asshole a martyr for it...

No matter how you slice if it was legal these four men would be alive today. No one is martyring this guy for the cause. Legalize weed and this guy has no reason to grow it and instead of a barn full of pot and a gun he has a tractor and some cows like everyone else.

tedtropy

darscot said:
No matter how you slice if it was legal these four men would be alive today. No one is martyring this guy for the cause. Legalize weed and this guy has no reason to grow it and instead of a barn full of pot and a gun he has a tractor and some cows like everyone else.

I find it difficult to believe that a guy willing to KILL FOUR PEOPLE for whatever reason would go about his merry pot-growing life just because it was legal. Legalizing it doesn't suddenly make him a person with a conscious - he's still plenty fucked in the head and likely to act upon that eventually. Hey, I agree, the drug laws are stupid, but that guy is insane either way.

dem

darscot said:

Erm
Or he has a barn with a meth lab inside...

This wasnt some happy hippy farmer. He was a psycho. His father hadnt even talked to him in 10 years or something like that.

tedtropy

dem said:
Erm
Or he has a barn with a meth lab inside...

This wasnt some happy farmer. He was a psycho. His father hadnt even talked to him in 10 years or something like that.

Exactly...

darscot

Very good point with the Meth lab. The only thing I can add is pot is so damned easy to grow. Any idiot can do it, I'm not so sure your average country guy would have the skill to manufacture Meth. Also Meth isn't exactly a big ticket item. Were pot is a cash cow. So I think 90% of your grow ops would simple die if they legalized it. But you guys are right wackos like this guy would probable just turn to other things.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
This is insane. Turns out that one of the guys on my team grew up with the 29 year old Mountie who died. I just don't get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom