• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GSC is closed, STALKER 2 cancelled [Up5: GSC: Wait for Up6 in mid-January]

Scipius

No, I think he was saying that not every western publisher makes only COD clones.

True, but plenty of the developers he did mention make other crappy FPS games that are not CoD, and others don't make FPS in the first place, so were irrelevant to add to the list. It was a silly list wars argument anyway.

Of the ones mentioned, only Tripwire could possibly do a STALKER game justice, the rest would likely fail.

-BLITZ-

Why couldn't God have taken Half-life 3 instead?

God already took that some years ago and now look what he is doing ... AGAIN!

OMG, man! Look at those concept arts. I see laboratories and vaults arts as well :(. Those areas was the best thing ever in STALKER series, those dark corners and moments.
What an awful news. I couldn't belive this when I first read the topic, I was near to choke myself.

Scipius

...well, as much as I hate to lose 30+ hours of play time, that does sound pretty amazing. Maybe I'll go for it.

If you're that far in, you might as well continue with vanilla. It's primarily better visuals you're missing out on and some things the mod adds are better disabled anyway (the new hud, the automatic health application, the new scopes, the nullified headbobbing).

This is definitely not a complete list, but I have a partial one:

GSC
Factor 5
Ascaron
Pandemic
FASA
Ensemble
Carbonated Games
RedOctane
Luxoflux
Rebellion Derby/Core Design
Krome
Juice
Rainbow
Heavy Iron Studios
Kaos
Blue Tongue
THQ Australia
EA Chicago
Bright Light
Realtime Worlds
Flagship Studios
Underground Developments
7 Studios
Bizzare Creations
Budcat
Shaba Games
Wolfpack
Flight Plan
Game Republic
Cing
Propaganda Games
Black Rock
Codemasters Guildford
Square Enix Los Angeles
UTV Florida
Midway Austin
Rockstar Vienna
NCSoft Austin
Acclaim
Hudson Entertainment
Bedlam Games
Play Well Studios
Capcom Studio 8
Clover
Midway Games
Midway Austin
Midway Newcastle
Midway Los Angeles
Midway Australia
Bionic Games
GRIN
Sega Racing Studio

A few of those might be end of last generation depending on how you want to count it.

There's also stuff like Free Radical and Planet Moon which I'm not sure how to categorize.

Sad, very sad. We need to complete this list and make a thread for it (I wouldn't count Clover though, since that basically became Platinum Games)

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Grigorovich sounds like a dick. I'd assumed as much during the whole 4A split fiasco but this pretty much seals the deal.

Fuck. Was looking good too. As a high budget PC game that hasn't sold well over the years I was getting worried about how long the development cycle of STALKER 2 was getting.

At least we still have Metro, right guys?

*cries*

I think I only got halfway through it on my PC before I got sick of it. I thought it was going to be another Stalker so it was my fault, but it was COD style linear and with checkpoints rather than quick saves!

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Not everything not open world is a COD clone guys... I understand if you don't like it but Metro plays nothing like COD. Much closer to HL2 imo, action adventury, with some room for exploration of alternate paths (even with a couple different endings) or just dead ends that yielded stash rewards, it was not purely set piece and whack-a-mole driven. Hell, even over HL, outside the mutants it had proper AI you could stealth through on occasion (though it was hard to do so you often ended up with big firefights).

x3sphere

Don't really see how Metro was COD style linear. Some of the later environments were quite vast and had multiple paths. I'd agree that the most apt comparison is HL2.

jayTOH

Fork Parker retweeted a fan's tweet that says "@ForkParker Ok, some money-making ideas: get STALKER license for the greater good, release a new trailer and start raking up the dosh!"

Just to get away from the sad news for just a bit - headless kamikazes in STALKER, hehe. At least, if the Croteam boys had their way with it.

edit: And he just tweeted "Dang, wish @gscstalker had given me and the boys at @DevolverDigital a ring before closing up shop..."

eiskaltnz

First company I have been really sad at its closing...

The STALKER games were such a breath of fresh air and made me see where FPS games could have gone.

Dam it...

CD Projekt need to pick this shit up RIGHT NOW.

In a previous post I didn't mean to imply that a Western publisher should make STALKER, but fund the original team until the project was completed. I mentioned Chris Remo and Shawn Elliot because they championed Shadow of Chernobyl and Call of Pripyat when those were released.

In my perfect world Valve would own both CD Projekt and GSC World, with making RPGs and open world games respectively. A few hours later and this news still hasn't sunk in. I'm devastated that this game will never see the light of day, or more expansions to SOC. It just seems too sudden, too out of nowhere.

What a freaking mess...

aasoncott

This is the worst gaming news of all time.

But wait... the series is really popular. There are hundreds of books. A clothing line. SOMEONE will pick up the series and continue working on it, right?...

RIGHT?

Fork Parker retweeted a fan's tweet that says "@ForkParker Ok, some money-making ideas: get STALKER license for the greater good, release a new trailer and start raking up the dosh!"

Just to get away from the sad news for just a bit - headless kamikazes in STALKER, hehe. At least, if the Croteam boys had their way with it.

edit: And he just tweeted "Dang, wish @gscstalker had given me and the boys at @DevolverDigital a ring before closing up shop..."
=(

Not everything not open world is a COD clone guys....
I meant more in comparison to Stalker, I did say that I went into it wanting the wrong thing. I was hoping for something more along those lines.

I thought they sold over 4 million copies?

Source
Over 3 titles of which a lot of the sale would have been below $5 I expect going by the amount of Steam sales it has had and the price I know most people picked it up at.

Well, the first few pages of this thread were a blast to read. Stalker never really grabbed me despite trying, but I still hate to see developers bite the dust. That list of casualties is depressing....

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
I was talking about Metro 2033 in that post...

But regardless, play SoC with the Complete mod and then CoP, which is fine vanilla but there's lots of great mods for it too. Some people like Clear Sky, I found it to be pretty dull and it recycled a lot of content from SoC. You'd be fine skipping it.

CoP > SoC >>>>> CS for me.

Will do, thanks :)

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Over 3 titles of which a lot of the sale would have been below $5 I expect going by the amount of Steam sales it has had and the price I know most people picked it up at.

the game was selling very well in CIS and it had a huge line of popular books. I meant it's in Guiness book as the longest book series.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
the price I know most people picked it up at.
Source?

And those 3 games had major asset reuse, there's a reason they didn't call any of those S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 like this cancelled one...

I mean, they were all launched in the span of like 2.5 years.

subversus

damn, that sucks really

STALKER games had thousand problems and I still think that COP is the worst one but there was nothing like them. They were survival FPS games.

I think there will be nothing like that in a very long time.

Did you ever do that post explaining why you dislike COP the most? I was always curious why you thought that because I think it's clearly the best one.

RedSwirl

STALKER has been on my Steam backlog for years, and it sucks knowing I'm eventually going to play that game, probably like it, and then get pissed off that it will never get a sequel.

Scipius

STALKER has been on my Steam backlog for years, and it sucks knowing I'm eventually going to play that game, probably like it, and then get pissed off that it will never get a sequel.

The game has an excellent pro- and epilogue expansion in the form of Clear Sky and Call of Pripyat respectively. There's plenty of STALKER to go round, even without delving into the mod scene and released alpha/beta versions.

subversus

Did you ever do that post explaining why you dislike COP the most? I was always curious why you thought that because I think it's clearly the best one.

yeah, I started writing these posts in some COP-related thread but ran out of steam. There were two of them. There is so much I don't like about the game and I know exact reasons why it sucks (at least in my opinion). But one of the main reasons was that it felt souless and stale (+ it had tons of amateurish shortcomings related to gameplay). It felt like people who were making this game were making it just because they were making it.

Here is another blog post related to the closure. It partially confirms my feeling about COP by the way.

http://easymodeon.wordpress.com/201...7;ймдеве/

The guy was close to the company and he says that the company was slowly drifting into oblivion. The atmosphere inside grew stale, people weren't agitated about working there anymore because there was no real ambition and the company hasn't been changing. Like it stuck into time. He also said that it was pretty apparent to him even years ago that the company will cease to exist if Grigorovich loses his commercial interest in making games. Once Grigorovich mentioned (between SOC and CS releases) that games aren't the main business for him anymore. And this discussion happened before the clothing line, successful book series, Stalker fests and so on. Basically he ends his post saying that the closure isn't a surprise for him, it's more like an official confirmation.

We can wait for official statement but it looks to me like Grigorovich just lost interest and decided to walk away while he still has money and his Ferrari. It happens. People lose interest in what they do.

06779616d6q51.jpg

Optimus Lime

(L3) + (R3) | Spartan rage activated
This is one of the most horrible pieces of gaming news I've ever had to read. How utterly terrible.

STALKER was SUCH a brilliant franchise. SoC and CoP were two of my favourite games of the last few years, and even though I was wary of the console-oriented direction of Stalker 2, I was very excited to see what GSC would come up with.

It is a sad, pathetic world we live in where CoD becomes the highest grossing franchise of all time, and GSC shut their doors. This should be a real alarm bell to everyone that gaming is sick. Something's going horribly wrong with our hobby.

Top Bottom