• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GT5 | NeoGAF Racing League & NRPC

Niks

QtU69.png

LhQbo.png
Length: 2.81mi/4526 m Longest Straight: 0.92mi/1475 m Elevation Change: 121.4ft/37,0 m Corners: 14​
Race lap preview video:
COMING SOON!

Race starts in:
t1301774400z0.png

How to join:
Just post in this thread that you want to join the race and what car you'll be using so you can be added to the list. Priority will be given to members with the least races. Add the PS3 account "GT5NRL" to your friends list if you haven't done it yet, and on race day join the private lounge a couple of minutes before the race time.​

Substitute Drivers:
If you are not registered for this race, but would still like to race, you are free to join the server as long as it doesn't fill up, if for some reason a registered player isn't available you might fill in for him. But you MUST follow these guidelines while on the server.​
  • DO NOT enter the track unless asked to do so by the race organizer.
  • You will be given priority to replace someone from your own team.
  • No one guarantees you will actually race.
  • If the person you are replacing arrives during practice or qualifying you MUST leave the track for him to join.
  • If the server is full and a registered players are missing you will be asked to leave the server.

Player conduct while on the server:
  • When the race organizer wants to start the event, please keep chatter to a minimum.
  • Qualifying will start 10 minutes after race time. Use the time to warm up.
  • All members registered on the race must join the track. Substitute players will only join the track when asked to do so by the race organizer.
  • Before qualifying starts we will do a synch check, followed by a 1 lap race. (to reset times)
  • Qualifying will start immediately after the 1 lap race and the full race set to start after 10 minutes.
  • All the players that were in the previous 1 lap race must join the track right after it ends and start posting their times.
  • During qualifying DO NOT quit to the lounge.
  • Please be extra careful during the first corner, and the first lap in general.
  • You must do at least 1 mandatory pit stop during the race.

Players Participating in Round 4 (0/12):
  • Team Redline - UFRA - Mercedes-Benz C 63 AMG '08
  • Team Redline -
  • Team Metal Gear Racing - Angst - BMW M3 Coupe '07
  • Team Metal Gear Racing - Gutterboy - Ferrari 512BB
  • Team FR4WD - Broseybrose - Lancer Evo TM '99
  • Team FR4WD -
  • Team FWTC - Kaze13 - Nissan Z34
  • Team FWTC - Mush - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X P.P '07
  • Raven Racing Int. - Ashk - BMW M3 Coupe '07
  • Raven Racing Int. - Dead Man - Aston Martin DB9 Coupe '06
  • Deep Speed - Dibbz - Corvette Z06 (C5) '04
  • Deep Speed - SunhiLegend - Nissan Skyline GTR

ashk

Yeah, sign me up, I'm driving a BMW M3 Coupe '07. I'm still not 100% sure I'll be able to make it though, but I'll do my best not to miss it since the practice races were soooooo good.

Dead Man

I just noticed the race is an hour earlier for me since my state is having daylight savings longer, I'll try to make it for RRI but I don't know, 0630 is pretty early on a Sunday! Should be fine next week or later, just this weekend is a bit early.

UFRA

weekend_warrior said:
So does the race start in 40 minutes or 1 hour and 40 minutes?

The clock in Niks' post should be correct.

BTW - Konosuke, not sure if you can make it today or not but if you can feel free to show up. :)

Good race today guys. Really sorry about the first corner mash-up, I went in way too hot, got into the grass, and ended up T-boning about 3 people. :( Hope I didn't piss anyone off too much. :(

Dibbz

Grid starts do not work.

It seems pointless to even qualify because if you start towards the front someone is going to plow straight through.

I was 5th went into turn one and got slammed because people were just diving straight through and ruined my car. Funnily enough they all got through with broken wheels and stuff but I had damaged engine and was put in last place. Race was ruined.

Hell Nab was 1st and he got slammed and thrown off the track and he was not even on the inside line, so it's not like he wasn't leaving room but people just don't fucking care.

Why do you not use rolling starts in this league? It completely removes the problems on the first lap.

VIDEO: First turn from my perspective

VIDEO: First lap on board with Brosey

Dead Man

Got the daylight savings wrong and still couldn't get out of bed! Sorry RRI, but it looks like you guys had fun. Sorry your team mate is in such a crap timezone though.

Kaze13

Holy crap, I knew I was close to being taken out in the 1st corner but damn, that looked scary how I missed it by what looked like a few inches.

We need to enact some penalties for people doing that sort of thing in the first corner. DQ's seem like harsh penalty but I think we should use it. An entire race can be ruined by reckless driving. Here is another idea, the people who recklessly drove on the previous race will be put in last place with no qualifying laps. Automatic last place positions. What do you guys think?

I bumped quite a few people today and I'm very sorry for that but I did give up any spots that I accidentally took to the guy I bumped.

Race report:

Due to some late night activities, I ended up getting to the grid just in time for qualifications. It didn't help that I literally turned on the ps3 and got to racing straight from bed.

Qualifying
I had a good start to qualifying. I didn't get much practicing done on the track but I at least got most of my track markers in place. I didn't see very many people around me during practice and that meant no draft to use to get a good time. I set what I thought to be the 3rd fastest lap but got gridded on 4th place at race start.

Race start
Got an amazing start for my RWD. Burned the tires red but kept up with Niks' skyline up front. I was feeling uneasy on the first turn. 4th place is very scary especially since I was on the inside line. I like the outside line better in these moments. That being said, I got in and out of T1 with no issue. I can't say the same about the people in front of me. I nearly got taken out from the inside and saw the carnage that unfolded on the outside. Saw Niks start to pull away and put the hammer down...on cold tires. I was sliding everywhere and botched quite a few corners.

My race ruined
I believe it was the second lap when I made my first big mistake. Giving chase to Niks, I overcooked it on the penultimate corner and spun around. I stayed still to let the first batch of racers go through and was trying to back up when i saw the yellow corvette veer direction right into. Thankfully, I stopped in time and he veered wide enough to avoid collision. This put me in last place from 2nd on the grid. Lame. Time to scrounge up what I could.

Continuing on
I put some consistent laps in and got behind many people. Without rewatching the replay I can remember battles with UFRA, SWE, WW, Dibbz and a few others. I was slightly annoyed from my spin out and was also getting impatient and that resulted in a few bumps from the inside trying to overtake in the corners. I didn't take advantage though and if I did end up in front, I let those guys get back in front of me.

The pit
My strategy for pitting was just following the group I was with dictate the time to pit. All was going well, until my 2nd big mistake. I believe it was SWE that was in front that I was drafting straight into the pits. Let me tell you a secret: I have never pitted on this race track ever. So, while drafting and following SWE, I blindly followed until I realized my lack of track knowledge. The pit has a very sharp kink leading into the pit itself! I, of course, thought it was a nice "straight into" type of pit. Nope. SWE veered right sharply and I was caught unaware. I immediately thought, "I'm screwed..." but I applied the brakes on time and avoided the wall and continued my lap. that cost me dearly. I pitted on the next lap...

Closing laps.
After pitting, I still had some battles to fight. I think I was in 7th or 8th position after pitting and I had a hell of a fight just to gain at least 1 spot. My aim was top five and WW was occupying that slot at that moment. When I finally made it up there, I had a grand time with the battle. I forced the issue a couple of times. The one I remember was the wide double right hander where I dove on the inside. I carried a bit too much speed and was drifting out when I bumped into him. I had my line but I should have been able to arrest a tighter line. Sorry WW. I did surrender that spot back to you. I had a lot of fun though.

Closing comments.
Even with my two big mistakes, I had a ton of fun battles. This track is a very good one and I enjoy the battles. Just like some of the longer straights, the drafting is a bit out of hand but it's only 1 big straight to worry about. Going from 4th to 2nd to last and back to 5th place was at least very exciting. I would like to thank my none sponsors and also thank Nissan for an outstanding car that remained absolutely stable everywhere on the track. Good race win to Niks. Congrats.

Pictures when I get a chance. Also, watched the youtube vids. Holy crap. Brosey. I think you need to clean up your corner entry. Diving straight into a corner trying to make up triple car lengths and take the spot usually ends in disaster.

brentech

Dibbz said:
Grid starts do not work.

It seems pointless to even qualify because if you start towards the front someone is going to plow straight through.

I was 5th went into turn one and got slammed because people were just diving straight through and ruined my car. Funnily enough they all got through with broken wheels and stuff but I had damaged engine and was put in last place. Race was ruined.

Hell Nab was 1st and he got slammed and thrown off the track and he was not even on the inside line, so it's not like he wasn't leaving room but people just don't fucking care.

Why do you not use rolling starts in this league? It completely removes the problems on the first lap.

VIDEO: First turn from my perspective

VIDEO: First lap on board with Brosey
Wow. specially for start of the race, I could kind of see it at start of lap 2, but this is just uncalled for. Why are people trying to pass so much in the opening?

And as for later laps -- we've all misjudged a turn at some time or another, but are people simply not looking for markers or a distinguishing landmark/color/anything-static-to-the-environment for a braking point?

This is almost a joke here. It's really disappointing to see. While I knew I couldn't race today, I showed up to practices and stated someone was going to destroy the crowd there due to the slipstream, but I sure as hell didn't think at the race start!

At this point in the league(s), people should have figured out how to find a braking point - and that it must be ADJUSTED if you have people around you. This league is for fun, yes, but it's completely asinine to think that other's are able to have fun when they can't even 'race' due to this type of behavior.

Again, mistakes happen. I don't discount that, but....

You guys need to check yourself; before your wreck everybody else.

Mush

Dead Man said:
Got the daylight savings wrong and still couldn't get out of bed! Sorry RRI, but it looks like you guys had fun. Sorry your team mate is in such a crap timezone though.
Brofist?

ashk

I got disconnected at the end of lap 16, but the funny thing is I wasn't pissed off by it that much, probably since there was basically that nothing that could have been done to prevent it and it was no one's fault.

On the other hand, the first corner incident could have been prevented, and again I was left with a ruined race and trying my best not to drive angry laps. As you can see in the video, I left all the space in the world on the inside of corner one so I don't get crashed into. In hindsight, this was the worst thing I could have done since everyone who saw the opening immediately went to take advantage of it even if it meant outbraking themselves and completely missing the apex. Next time I'll be hugging the inside, throwing caution to the wind, and whatever happens happens.

I'd like to take this opportunity to call for a rethink on rolling starts. The first corner at the next race is a first gear hairpin with carnage written all over it.

ashk

Broseybrose said:
I'm glad you posted that. Watching myself race makes me see how i forget everything about driving safely when a race starts, I'm so caught up in the moment. This over-aggressiveness is over. From now on my number one priority in all of GT5 is to never hit anything above all else.

Brosey, from watching your first lap, I'd say your biggest problem is lack of awareness of other racers around you. In that one lap you've turned into a few people who were next to you. Are you using the look left/right functions? If you get that sorted out, I think you'd be allright.

Was so pissed of last night. Ended up breaking my controller was that angry. My shitty ass connection seems to fuck up around 8pm to about 11pm. Before then its virtually lag free but for some reason it decides to fuck me up in the evening, and its not the download speed thats affected its only the ping that slows down. I won't be able to race in the NRL anymore until I get this sorted out, its been like this for a few weeks now. Hopefully it gets sorted out for the next race.

Also could someone upload the replay in PAL format please?

Angst

SunhiLegend said:
Was so pissed of last night. Ended up breaking my controller was that angry. My shitty ass connection seems to fuck up around 8pm to about 11pm. Before then its virtually lag free but for some reason it decides to fuck me up in the evening, and its not the download speed thats affected its only the ping that slows down. I won't be able to race in the NRL anymore until I get this sorted out, its been like this for a few weeks now. Hopefully it gets sorted out for the next race.

Also could someone upload the replay in PAL format please?
http://www.mediafire.com/?dajdgjnqjjafg4m

ashk said:
Brosey, from watching your first lap, I'd say your biggest problem is lack of awareness of other racers around you. In that one lap you've turned into a few people who were next to you. Are you using the look left/right functions? If you get that sorted out, I think you'd be allright.
Personally I find it pretty hard to look left and right when driving, what I do is set the map zoom to 3 or 4. That way you can see where the individual cars are on the track, default map zoom makes it look like only one arrow when there could actually be 2-3 cars in the same position.

ashk

Angst said:
Personally I find it pretty hard to look left and right when driving, what I do is set the map zoom to 3 or 4. That way you can see where the individual cars are on the track, default map zoom makes it look like only one arrow when there could actually be 2-3 cars in the same position.

I don't use it often, usually I just keep an eye on the rear view mirror and that's enough to be aware of what's going on and who's where. But when we're going side by side in or out of a corner I do a quick glance left or right to precisely know where the other car is. I've tried using the full map zoom but I couldn't get used to it and found it inadequate.

But anyway, whichever method people use is fine as long as it works well for them :)

Angst

Hj2Rb.jpg

zjag1.jpg

(You can click each name to see a photo of them in action during the race)

Replay files:

Team Rankings:
98iIw.jpg

Individual Rankings:
AuhL0.jpg

Official Race Report
Today is a sad day for the NRL, as it marks the first ever full on disqualification. After reviewing the race replay I am left with no choice but to disqualify Broseybrose from this race. I hope you don’t take this the wrong way and get offended by it, I rather that you take this as a wake up call. You pretty much broke all the rules in the book. Overshooting the first corner ruining at least 3 cars, constant corner cutting to gain time, going fast and wide off track several times, and last and most importantly, complete disrespect (even if not intentional, I honestly do not believe you are doing this on purpose) for other drivers. You are one of the main reasons why damage was changed to light, but this absolutely does not mean you can now be more aggressive and reckless.

Concerning SunhiLegend’s absence from the race, it was pretty apparent that you wanted to race in this round, but chose not to do so as respect for the other drivers due to your connections problems. I applaud this action and as such you are being given the standard individual points for a disconnect mid, which is 30 points. Unfortunately these points won’t contribute to the team points, as you did not race at all.

Concerning Ashk’s disconnect on lap 17, as much as it pains me, even though it was a very late disconnect, with only 2 laps to go, I cannot award you the points for second place, the place you were in when you disconnected. You will however be given the last place points, and considering SunhiLegend did not participate, Metalmurphy withdrew from the race to the pits after lap 6 (due to an unfortunate accident that left him with a huge scar from the top of his head to his right eye), and Broseybrose disqualification, these will be points for the 9th place. They will count towards team points, but they will not count towards the individual ratio.

Other noticeable mentions are Niks and Dibbz fantastic performance, unfortunately for Niks, he was racing as a sub, and won’t be contributing points to his team. A standard warning is being given to Kaze13 and Weekend_warrior for the occasional corner cutting and going wide while not even brake. This is just a standard warning with no consequences at all. I just felt it happened more frequently then usual but both of you were far from any penalty or disqualified.

Videos:
Dibbz' short video recap of the first corner

Screenshots:
Angst Post-Race Fun

ashk

Angst said:
Concerning Ashk’s disconnect on lap 17, as much as it pains me, even though it was a very late disconnect, with only 2 laps to go, I cannot award you the points for second place, the place you were in when you disconnected. You will however be given the last place points, and considering SunhiLegend did not participate, Metalmurphy withdrew from the race to the pits after lap 6 (due to an unfortunate accident that left him with a huge scar from the top of his head to his right eye), and Broseybrose disqualification, these will be points for the 9th place. They will count towards team points, but they will not count towards the individual ratio.

Thanks for the consideration. I know I can't get 2nd place points since in two laps anything might have happened, I might have screwed up and lost places or done great and got to 1st place ;) Honestly I wasn't expecting any points so I'm very happy for getting this much :)

brentech

Oh wow, I didn't know a second member of Team Redline ended up making it, good to see Ace. This weekend I'm won't be available again as I have about 13 hours of real driving to do: 6 1/2 there and back.

Hopefully I'll be available for SE3 and the final round. /cross-fingers

Niks

I really feel for ashk since he was the fastest car in the grid. Maybe he could have caught up to me since I made a couple of mistakes just before he dc... :/

Ill let MM consider using rolling starts. I suggest brosey to turn on the driving line aid and try sticking with it during the race. Those divebombs during the first lap have no place here. Practice some more.

If heavy damage was on, the race would have had been cancelled or restarted since half the grid would have had serious damage on lap 1.

Broseybrose

Niks said:
I really feel for ashk since he was the fastest car in the grid. Maybe he could have caught up to me since I made a couple of mistakes just before he dc... :/

Ill let MM consider using rolling starts. I suggest brosey to turn on the driving line aid and try sticking with it during the race. Those divebombs during the first lap have no place here. Practice some more.

If heavy damage was on, the race would have had been cancelled or restarted since half the grid would have had serious damage on lap 1.

I will. Obviously, this is my first time in a racing league and i want to learn the right way and be competitive and keep the league a fun place.

I practiced all week, i guess i wasnt practicing the right way. I'll practice memorizing the driving line and keeping to it once its memorized and turned off.
And never hitting anything. :/

Im not bitter about the DQ, just surprised. Obviously I'm new and obviously I did my best. You even said so. But I understand. It sets a precedent that if you drive like I did (I like how Niks called them "divebombs") you have no business in the league. And that's fair. I aint running this show.

All this shit helps me learn.

brentech

I don't know if you adjust your brakes. Or keep them at 5/5, brosey, but with a little higher braking power you should be able to brake in time for most turns at around 150-200m.

Not every track has the 100(1), 200(2),..etc, signs, but there is always some point on the screen you can use as a marker for those types of large turns. I haven't used the racing line in quite a while, but I don't feel it's it's the best when it comes to braking points. You really need to find a point and use it as reference (sometimes it's something as simple as a sudden turn in the tracks's white road lines when there isn't a marker). You can always use the marker while practicing or setting a qualify lap, but once you're racing you have to take others I to consideration.

If someone else has the are you'd normally approach a turn from, you'll have to adjust your braking and be conservative since it's not what you're use to.

It's the best advice I can give in general.

Broseybrose

Yeah i have the brakes on my Evo at 6/5. Ill experiment with that. And i usually brake a little later than the line suggests, but i have to learn how to brake when there's a car in front of me, not hit him, and still come out of the turn right behind him.

I use MPH so the signs are only points of reference to me.

Kaze13

Angst said:
Other noticeable mentions are Niks and Dibbz fantastic performance, unfortunately for Niks, he was racing as a sub, and won’t be contributing points to his team. A standard warning is being given to Kaze13 and Weekend_warrior for the occasional corner cutting and going wide while not even brake. This is just a standard warning with no consequences at all. I just felt it happened more frequently then usual but both of you were far from any penalty or disqualified.
[/URL]

I don't know where this could have happened but I'm pretty sure I didn't corner cut on purpose. I may have done so because of a botched line but it certainly was not intentional. I certainly did see a bunch of it in front of me lol

Angst

Kaze13 said:
I don't know where this could have happened but I'm pretty sure I didn't corner cut on purpose. I may have done so because of a botched line but it certainly was not intentional. I certainly did see a bunch of it in front of me lol
I think MM was talking about going wide in corner 1 and/or the corner where the chicane is on the other layout. On both places going wide is actually a shortcut as you can have a higher speed through the corner(s). I never saw you do it, but WW was doing it a lot (due to braking late etc, but still).

brentech

Was reading the May 'Car and Driver' last night, and they have some sales data on one of the pages.

My beloved (Mazda RX-8) is shamed: "2010 Winners and losers....in that vein, Americans bought more Ferraris (1440) than Mazda RX-8s (1134)." So sad. While I don't see them on the road all that often, I never would of thought the RX-8s had that bad of a sale.

Another shocker, imo, "Meanwhile, more Toyota Priuses were unloaded (140,928) than all of the vehicles from Audi or Acura." --- Holy fuck. A single model outsells entire brands? My lord...

Some really interesting tidbits on this single page.

Kaze13

Angst said:
I think MM was talking about going wide in corner 1 and/or the corner where the chicane is on the other layout. On both places going wide is actually a shortcut as you can have a higher speed through the corner(s). I never saw you do it, but WW was doing it a lot (due to braking late etc, but still).

I know I didn't go wide on T1 to gain speed. I usually keep that turn very tight. Concerning that right hander after the back straight, I botched it once. I remember being pissed after spinning out on the 2nd lap and that might have contributed to it. In fact, I think it is exactly the reason why I botched that turn lol.

Dibbz

Some advise for braking into corners whilst behind someone.

You should already have a braking point for every corner. If you are behind someone what I do is let go of the gas about 50m before my braking point. This gives you enough time to get ready to see what the guy in front is going to do in the turn, without losing you time.

I'd be against using the driving line because it does not take into account cars around you. If you have a car ahead of you, your braking point is going to vary depending on the distance to that car.

Another point. You are not meant to do qualification time laps every lap of the race. A race is more about consistency and racing within yourself. You should not be going out balls to the walls unless you have a fair amount of space in front of you.

Too many occasions I'll see people driving like they're on a hot lap when they are behind someone. Wait for an opportunity to overtake rather than forcing the issue.

Metalmurphy withdrew from the race to the pits after lap 6 (due to an unfortunate accident that left him with a huge scar from the top of his head to his right eye)

What happened?

Polyphony

Even though I'm not a participant in the NRL, I just wanted to give a little tip to brosey :).

When you're approaching a corner, the gear indicator will suddenly turn red to tell you which gear you should be in once you turn. This first hint should prepare you to eventually slow down. Soon after, the red light next to the gear indicator will start flashing. This means that you should start breaking at this point.

Of course, the game is not 100% accurate with its predictions, just like the driving line, so you can always brake a bit later than the indicator suggests or be a gear above the indicated value if it helps. But it's a good way to expect when to slow down if you're not familiar with the track.

Also, driving alone and driving with people around is always a different experience. To be more aware of your surroundings, I find it very helpful to set the map to "Fixed to car" with a scale of "2". This way, you can actually see where the cars are positioned around you on the track without having to move the view left and right.

Last tip: you don't always need to be either accelerating 100% or braking 100%. If a corner is approaching and you're unsure whether the person ahead you will brake early or not, you can let go of the gas and coast behind him. This allows you to quickly step on the brakes in anticipation. It can give you some extra space behind the car to prevent a crash due to late braking.

Kaze13

Ok, I just watched my replay. No corner cutting. I did run slightly wide several times and bumped a couple of people on the inside. What may have been seen as a T1 going wide advantage was when I missed the failed pit entry and miscalculated T1 because of frustration. I'll tell you that I didn't get any advantage out of that botched turn at all lol. There was a time where my outside two wheel were on the red curbing. I wanted to shut the door (with authority) on WW and it resulted in a spirited and aggressive cut on that corner. Maybe I'll capture the whole battle on vid cause it was quite exciting to rewatch.

Gotta apologize to JM761. I hit you on the inside a few times trying to force a pass on the inside. I thought maybe you knew I would be there (a few of those times) but obviously not and it was my fault.

Top Bottom