• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • The Politics forum has been nuked. Please do not bring political discussion to the rest of the site, or you will be removed. Thanks.

GT5 News - Nurburgring update (pre-E3 edition)

Diablohead

Jun 4, 2006
speedpop said:
I'm curious - how many times would you bother crashing through this fence before you realised that your actions made you look like a complete fool?

I hope the lack of concrete details in these interviews is making the wait much more unbearable for you.
being spun out or losing RWD grip out of a turn? better then bouncing off a wall.

H_Prestige said:
500,000 polys per car? That's incredible.
Doesn't always mean in view at once, probably counts for interiors and any damage modeling for the car, still it's very impressive.

H_Prestige

Banned
Aug 2, 2008
Diablohead said:
Doesn't always mean in view at once, probably counts for interiors and any damage modeling for the car, still it's very impressive.

I know. But it's still much a higher figure than I've seen from other racing games.

Dear God....

SolidSnakex

Jun 7, 2004
That 500k number is likely just for certain racing cars. We know that they'll have additional modeling that standard cars won't have. For example, we've seen the wireframe for the GTR and there's no engine modeling for it, while we know that they've modeled the Impreza engine.

H_Prestige

Banned
Aug 2, 2008
SolidSnakex said:
That 500k number is likely just for certain racing cars. We know that they'll have additional modeling that standard cars won't have. For example, we've seen the wireframe for the GTR and there's no engine modeling for it, while we know that they've modeled the Impreza engine.

I remember the last time he said it was 400k polys per car. So maybe the 500k figure is for racing cars.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Jan 24, 2007
Nashville, USA
SolidSnakex said:

The wireframe was for what we were seeing at the time. So if the hood flew off, then it would have to render the engine. Same with the Impreza. No need to model the engine until you see it. Same with the interior.

New shots look good. No new cars that we have not seen before. But it seems a variety of liveries for some already.

MikeE21286

Jun 15, 2007
interview said:
We've heard rumors of a track editor. Any comment?
At this point, it's just a rumor. So you'll have to see. (It must be noted, he said so with a smile, leading us to believe that some sort of track editor is in the works for the new game.)

Man I hope this makes it into the game....will really do something that not most console sims do, plus increase the longevity of the title.

SolidSnakex

Jun 7, 2004
AndyD said:
The wireframe was for what we were seeing at the time. So if the hood flew off, then it would have to render the engine. Same with the Impreza. No need to model the engine until you see it. Same with the interior.

He's already confirmed that standard cars won't have body parts falling off, they'll just have deformation. Race cars are the only one that'll have parts falling off them. So they don't need to model that GTR's engine as the hood won't come off.

commedieu

Banned
Jan 10, 2009
Rapping Granny said:
If only it looked like that in the demos they been releasing.

Did they release the Tokyo demo? Or are u talking about the Time Trial 200mb demo that KY said was to show off physics? GT5p has already proven PD can provide visuals that we are seeing. Checkout the thread of the glorious cockpit view one of these days. Anyone that thinks PD is bullshotting everyone a quality no one will see in a release hasn't been around for the past 10 years of the franchise.

I wish they would release one of the TGS demo's though, we are clearly playing old builds of the game. Anticipation is killing me. GT's the only reason I ever buy PS's.

commedieu

Banned
Jan 10, 2009
Diablohead said:
being spun out or losing RWD grip out of a turn? better then bouncing off a wall. Doesn't always mean in view at once, probably counts for interiors and any damage modeling for the car, still it's very impressive.

500k is the budget for a car. So that includes everything. Its in the view for vehicles unless they are far away and the lod model is swapped out. You can checkout the GTR wireframes to see its a pretty dense mesh, especially the beveled edges.

SolidSnakex

Jun 7, 2004
The TAS has started, so it shouldn't be too much longer before we start seeing something. I actually found out recently that they also give a GT Award to a car at that show and it'll appear in GT. The 2008 winner was actually in the recent CES demo

http://eu.gran-turismo.com/gb/news/d4257.html

So that's one thing that they'll be doing at this show.

Zaptruder

Banned
Jun 7, 2004
Niks said:
Taken from the TAS page... anyone knows japanese? :D

Yes, it says:

1/15: 15:30-16:20 - GT5 Released
1/16: 15:00-15:50 - GAF servers asplode
1/17: 14:20-15:10 - Microsoft goes Bankrupt

beast786

Oct 12, 2007
Detroit
SolidSnakex said:
So according to that the GT event will begin in four hours. Hopefully we'll get a new trailer.

SolidSnakex, I fully expect you to post all the information from that event. When I get up in the morring 2morrow, i want everyting posted with pics and Videos.

Thanks

Beast786

rod furlong

Jun 19, 2004
Can we start banning for quoting the full or almost the full text from the source site in the OP? I mean, going forward? Can we make that a rule? If I worked for Motortrend I wouldn't be too happy.

May 19, 2005
Maryland
Lagspike_exe said:
With 4xMSAA at 720p, which is really rare for a console game...

Heck, it's even rarer is the fact there are actually two layers of AA techniques implemented now, effectively giving it 4xAA (1080p mode) to 8xAA (720p) in motion.

Iknos

Oct 3, 2004
Great to hear that online is going to be a focus. I think we can all agree it was a joke in Prologue and I was getting very worried.

The way he gave his response...gives me a lot of confidence that they know which games to look at. Not necessarily console games.

Niks said:
I find it amusing car magazines make better and more relevant questions than gaming sites and mags.

VVV Gamer and TaxiGamer are two good racing oriented gaming sites that do ask good questions and end up with great interviews.

Unfortunately I don't know if PD would allow these smaller sites to interview Kaz.

SolidSnakex

Jun 7, 2004
Iknos said:
Great to hear that online is going to be a focus. I think we can all agree it was a joke in Prologue and I was getting very worried.

They've actually opened a separate office that's completely devoted to the online portion of the game.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Jun 7, 2009
Its been in production so long, it's like every car guy's wet dream that has never come to life. PD is just so far ahead on keeping up with car culture and their relationships with manufacturers are great. When this does finally release, I hope it's in every PS3 owner's library, cause they really just can't afford it not to be.

Sep 11, 2007
Cat in the Hat said:
Crash physics look like trash. There is no weight to the crashes(just like the previous games). Oh well, looks pretty I guess.

yes, when are they going to show the damn damage system?

Niks

Jan 27, 2007
awesome!

I wonder if the wind tunnel will actually have a function in the game???

TTG

Dec 17, 2006
Niks said:
awesome!

I wonder if the wind tunnel will actually have a function in the game???

If I can stick any car I buy in there and have it look that good, that's functional enough. :D

Niks

Jan 27, 2007
Really liking that rear spoiler.

So, should I update the OP, or this warrants a new thread??? (confused after the big GT5 thread was closed)

Heres the real car.

AnIco

Jun 6, 2004
I know it's an offline render, but the High Speed Ring appears to look better than in GT5P -- better shaders.

seattle6418

Nov 21, 2006
brazil
Cool, but i hope it's just the tip of the iceberg.

Shows nothing we haven't seen before, footage only at HSR and Fuji.

But i'm on the hypetrain right now (GT press conference), so we'll see how it plays out tonight.