• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA 5 Online PC: confusion as Rockstar begins banning mod users

I wish Rockstar would make up their f***ing minds already:

822f8634e5.png

JQtZn2H.png

What is it? All modding is bannable? Online mods are bannable? Give us some confirmation Rockstar!

Basically don't go online with any mods installed. Don't care about online? Stay offline and mod away!

Kabouter

You don't think a warning is more appropriate? No of course lets make people pay $60.

I thought they were giving out two week temp bans from the online part of the game? People who get banned actually have to re-buy it? Or am I just reading this post wrong?

Storm360

I thought they were giving out two week temp bans from the online part of the game? People who get banned actually have to re-buy it? Or am I just reading this post wrong?

If you want to play before the ban is lifted you have to rebuy, otherwise you can wait.

The game is tied to a account on PC so you can't play it on another unbanned one without rebuying

Dunkley

An opinion, specifically that from someone who actually owns the game, and wants to be able to mod his game freely without worrying if Rockstar's hamfisted approach to anti-modding is gonna break his game, or ruin his Social Club account, just because Rockstar is adamant on shoving Shark Cards down everyone's throats.

Basically, it's the opposite of your shit post.

I just want to remind you that this is what you posted:

Rockstar is shit.

You can't be serious about defending this three word thread snipe as an elaborate opinion about Rockstar's worrying stance on modding.

If you want to play before the ban is lifted you have to rebuy, otherwise you can wait.

The game is tied to a account on PC so you can't play it on another unbanned one without rebuying

But is that banned from single player as well? Or just GTA Online?

Are they even able to tell the difference between who uses what mod? I'm assuming they are banning on the basis that the game has been tampered with and not taking the risk.

So Rockstars Asked & Answered just came out here:

This is what they have to say about modding, for anyone interested:
“I’m having soo much fun with GTAV on the PC but I just have one question about it, how come you are not allowing mods for it?” - @ClarkMatthew63
“Will I get banned from GTA Online for using a FoV Mod or Oculus Rift mod?” - @Mattophobia

We have always appreciated the creative efforts of the PC modding community and we still fondly remember the awesome zombie invasion mod and original GTA map mod for GTAIV PC among many other classics. To be clear, the modding policy in our license has not changed and is the same as for GTAIV. Recent updates to GTAV PC had an unintended effect of making unplayable certain single player modifications. This was not intentional, no one has been banned for using single player modifications, and you should not worry about being banned or being relegated to the cheater pool just for using single player PC mods. Our primary focus is on protecting GTA Online against modifications that could give players an unfair advantage, disrupt gameplay, or cause griefing. It also bears mentioning that because game mods are by definition unauthorized, they may be broken by technical updates, cause instability, or affect your game in other unforeseen ways.

A-V-B

If you have ANY mods, just don't go online. Simple as that.

What there needs to be is a program, like Mod Organizer for Skyrim, that keeps the mods in order, separate from the main game folder. That way you can hit "play single player" and it'll use the mods, and hit "play multi-player" and it'll disable them all. That way there's rarely confusion.

This is what they have to say about modding, for anyone interested:

I said this in another topic, but their answer is really unhelpful with regard to the issue.
FOV is a singleplayer mod, but it also has potential multiplayer implications (as it allows those using it to see more of the environment than those not).

They should really clarify, or at least officially patch in some monitor friendly "allowed" FOV values

I said this in another topic, but their answer is really unhelpful with regard to the issue.
FOV is a singleplayer mod, but it also has potential multiplayer implications (as it allows those using it to see more of the environment than those not).

They should really clarify, or at least officially patch in some monitor friendly "allowed" FOV values

Any mods used in online is bannable, before I, and some others, thought it was using any kinds of mods that could lead to a ban.

Well yeah, a FOV mod would be unfair in online against those without it since they don't see you, but you see them. Honestly, I think they should fix their setting and let it go higher if a mod can do it, they can definitely patch it in somehow.

I'm just glad they're not banning people for using mods in single-player. Getting banned for using mods in Online is completely understandable though.

Top Bottom