• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA V GameInformer Discussion (11/8, 12PM EST)

Think so. I do wish it had more cities but it's probably too much to do on these consoles. It was fun taking the highway from los santos and following a main road to the other 2 cities, or taking a shortcut through forests and rough dirt trails to get there. It's not really the same if it's just 1 city and then nothing but country.

I'm sure the country won't be empty. I'm expecting a few small towns at least. Liberty City was huge and I expect Los Santos will be bigger, so it's not like there will be less city it just won't be cut up into 3 mini-cities.

Derrick01

Banned
Yeah they should have crammed a ton of extra buildings and maybe a bowling alley in there to spice it up.

Anything to make it more fun. That's the problem when you make a dedication to realism and then set it in one of the most boring times in history, the wild west.

DangerStepp

More of the same I hope. It has lasted longer than most expected at this point.
I always got the impression that it didn't maintain as much longevity (numbers and communal-wise) as they hoped. That's could be just me; then again, I had a blast playing what little of it I did with friends.

What if it's a constantly online/persistent world where single and multiplayer mesh? O.O

Dabanton

Anything to make it more fun. That's the problem when you make a dedication to realism and then set it in one of the most boring times in history, the wild west.

See that's your problem.

I love the wild west so adore RDR if you hate that time then I can see why you found the game 'boring'

3 protagonists, for real? i doubted multiple main characters, but i think i'm glad i was wrong. could be really something if they pull it off.

what i'm hoping for is flexibility in using them, implemented in a way that feels realistic. for example, if you're controlling a character and you don't want to complete a certain mission with him, you could drive to another character's house and switch to him (maybe with a short cutscene where they discuss the mission or whatever), and your previous character stays at his place to watch tv or something.

things like that. i'd love it.

Solo

one of the most boring times in history, the wild west.

1738398_oowpi1.gif

But it wasn't a problem for most people. It's one of the best received games this generation, and there wasn't really a majority backlash some time after like there was with IV. IV was a big let down for me and I agree with most of the criticisms. RDR is my game of the generation.

Marleyman

Banned
I always got the impression that it didn't maintain as much longevity (numbers and communal-wise) as they hoped. That's could be just me; then again, I had a blast playing what little of it I did with friends.

What if it's a constantly online/persistent world where single and multiplayer mesh? O.O

It was higher earlier in the year; falling down finally.

. Minecraft: Xbox 360 Edition
2. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
3. EA Sports FIFA Soccer 13
4. Call of Duty: Black Ops
5. Borderlands 2
6. Halo: Reach
7. Battlefield 3
8. Modern Warfare 2
9. Madden NFL 13
10. NBA 2K13
11. Happy Wars
12. Skyrim
13. Gears of War 3
14. RESIDENT EVIL 6
15. GTA IV
16. FIFA 12
17. Forza Motorsport 4
18. Dishonored
19. EA SPORTS NHL13
20. Halo 3

Oh man, you're right.

jacknicholsonyes.gif

The problem with RDR wasn't the time period, it was the fact that if you didn't like westerns (or at least rural West Texas through Arizona), most of the environments aren't likely to resonate with you.

Personally, I think the actual real nature and history of the American West from prehistory to around the time period of the game is actually probably one of the most compelling and depressing bits of all human history.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
So .. groundbreaking way to use more than 1 main character...

Hot swapping between the 3?

Using characters to support the others (build up missions between the 3... not very ground breaking)

All 3 always mobbing together... when the protag you are using gets sent to the hospital you switch to the next crew member... game dynamically handles these changes.

Main protags dieing off as the game progresses?

conversations with yourself! perhaps crazy drop in/out co-op?

Git hype.

Chinner

Banned

I wouldn't say the wild west is the most boring era, but it doesn't translate into a game at all. Works wonderfully for cinema though, and all you have to do is look at something by Sergio Leone.

Foil

Speaking of which, RD____ had better fucking be the next R* game announced or else I'm gonna go postal.

It's likely a next-gen game, so I doubt we hear anything for a while. The new consoles haven't even been announced yet.

Derrick01

Banned
See that's your problem.

I love the wild west so adore RDR if you hate that time then I can see why you found the game 'boring'

I find that period boring because nothing was around and there wasn't anything fun to do. If anything the game was a perfect example of that. You could do missions or wait all day for an animal that you need to spawn and kill it. How fun.

Blastoise

Banned
I bet the 'black' guy is not African-American. He looks pacific islander, maybe Samoan or Tongan. Maybe even Maori.
Jake the muss anyone?

Solo

It's likely a next-gen game, so I doubt we hear anything for a while. The new consoles haven't even been announced yet.

Don't get me wrong - it SHOULD be a next gen game. RDR was so goddam gorgeous that I am salivating at the prospect of a next gen version of it.

I'm just desperate for info :lol

By no means was GTA IV a serious or realistic game, but compared to the other games, it did move toward that direction. Based solely on the art style, I'm hoping GTA V moves back toward the craziness and zaniness of the older games. I really miss things like nitrous in cars, exploding shotgun shells, jetpacks, homing missiles, flamethrowers, standing on top of cars, and the like.

The thing I hope for the most, however, is a good cheat system. I really hate RDR's cheat system. I want to be able to have fun with spawning cheats, like in San Andreas spawning tons of planes on top of each other until they explode, or in GTA IV flying in a helicopter while spawning cars in front of me to crash into.

Also RDR did a stupid thing where you could only unlock some cheats by doing things like joining Rockstar's social club or by unlocking them through other outside means.

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to the article.

You know for all the bitching about GTAIV, I still think that had they implemented a proper lobby system, their multiplayer would've been extremely popular. Cops'N Crooks and Team Mafiya were both incredibly fun.

Ranger X

3 protagonists? Amazing.

That's exactly the feeling I got from the first trailer. I simply can't wait for the second one now!! Holyshit this game might really be something!

Dabanton

I find that period boring because nothing was around and there wasn't anything fun to do. If anything the game was a perfect example of that. You could do missions or wait all day for an animal that you need to spawn and kill it. How fun.

The fact that Far Cry 2 is one of your games of this gen makes your feelings about RDR even more hilarious.

I think maybe I'm getting confused here as to whether you're complaining about the actual location and time period, or how it was portrayed in RDR.

I loved RDR because I enjoyed the environments and missions, but most of the rest of the game lost me even as a fan of Hollywood Westerns.

Dabanton

You know for all the bitching about GTAIV, I still think that had they implemented a proper lobby system, their multiplayer would've been extremely popular. Cops'N Crooks and Team Mafiya were both incredibly fun.

RDR had a much,much better lobby system I'm expecting something very special for GTAV MP

Tr4nce

Ok, had to get used to the idea of multiple protags, but it might work. And I can't say enough how much I love that bald guy. I don't know why but he has something. Also, that guy in the suits looks very, very boss. Awesome.

So I was thinking about this multiple protag thing. Maybe each one of them has certain character specific traits/perks/abilities/contacts or whatever? Can't wait to play as the bald guy! o_O

Top Bottom