• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA V GameInformer Discussion (11/8, 12PM EST)

bud23

I find that period boring because nothing was around and there wasn't anything fun to do. If anything the game was a perfect example of that. You could do missions or wait all day for an animal that you need to spawn and kill it. How fun.

I see,I say "nor cast your pearls before swine" Matthew 7:6.

my mom and dad are in their 60s and understand nothing about videogames.. to them videogames are just worthless toys, a complete waste of time. i'm sure you all know the deal...

last year i showed them that video of RDR and my mom's jaw literally dropped. she could not believe that is actually a videogame. i explained to her that it took hundreds of people years and years of hard work to craft that virtual world and described all of the little details like dynamic weather and animal life etc, she just kept saying "wow, i had no idea"... my dad was equally in disbelief, just shaking his head in a "are you kidding me?" manner, heh.

RankoSD

So it looks like the cover represents the moment after that bank robbery from the trailer 1, money in the bag, van at lower left etc.

It will be interesting to see how did they directed that mission with all 3 of them...

Derrick01

Banned
I think maybe I'm getting confused here as to whether you're complaining about the actual location and time period, or how it was portrayed in RDR.

I loved RDR because I enjoyed the environments and missions, but most of the rest of the game lost me even as a fan of Hollywood Westerns.

Like Chinner said it didn't translate well to a game at all. A game is supposed to be fun and provide you with many fun things to do, but making a true wild west game by nature doesn't provide many chances at that since it was mostly desert with a few very small towns. Herding cattle, taming wild horses and hunting animals is not fun, nor is playing horseshoes.

Like Chinner said it didn't translate well to a game at all. A game is supposed to be fun and provide you with many fun things to do, but making a true wild west game by nature doesn't provide many chances at that since it was mostly desert with a few very small towns. Herding cattle, taming wild horses and hunting animals is not fun, nor is playing horseshoes.

yes it was.

the shooting action was pretty fun too thanks to Dead Eye, even though i usually find shooters boring.

what exactly was missing from the game, "fun"-wise?

Is it worth it to subscribe to Game Informer or should I buy this issue and go for EGM... or stay on forums / websites only. I really miss having a magazine to read each month but I want something quality since every news is on Internet as soon as it's written on every article.

Anything I should go for?

I liked RDR as a linear game, i.e. doing the missions. It was very well-made and fun, but the open-world, sandbox aspect was horrible IMO. Not much fun to do at all.

While I do think it's a great game in general, it was just very disappointing in that regard.

UrbanRats

I had fun with those activities, the missions were kind of a drag though (well, most of them, anyway).
I wish there was more to do with the bounty system, like organizing a posse, play the outlaw or the sheriff and this kind of things.
To do that they should've lay off the story a bit, though.

It's weird but as an open world game Rdr stands way above all others for me I loved the world and just riding around hunting etc, I think it's the only sandbox game I ever got to 100% completion

Anyway can't wait for this I found GTA IV drab but think this will fix everything that made the last one boring

I can't wait to play as the guy in the middle he looks badass

clear31

i switched my subscription to digital and didnt get my issue. werent all digital subscribers supposed to get it earlier at 12 est??

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Speaking of which, RD____ had better fucking be the next R* game announced or else I'm gonna go postal.

It takes time to hire a new team after so many of the old one quit.

that's pretty but that doesn't really mean its fun does it?

Atmosphere has replaced fun these last few year it seems.

LegoArmo

I'll buy the single issue if it's up on Zinio before all the info is posted on here. Even then, I still might for the pics.

Raven77

Thanks for your opinion. I completely disagree.

For me, rdr was a welcome change of pace and tone in a sea of Gears of War and COD clones. Hunting animals WAS fun, as was taming wild horses. But again, opinions on both sides.

bitoriginal

Seriously Derrick. I can read your shit most of the time but talking crap about Read Dead like this is too much. I can understand constructive criticism, but you're moaning about lack of fun in the open world? It's probably the best sandbox we've had this gen, which had tons of dynamic events, challenges, animals to hunt, ways to interact with the environment and various other things to do. You must be talking about some magic perfect game that doesn't exist here because we quite simply haven't had any better than RDR.

Derrick01

Banned
Thanks for your opinion. I completely disagree.

For me, rdr was a welcome change of pace and tone in a sea of Gears of War and COD clones. Hunting animals WAS fun, as was taming wild horses. But again, opinions on both sides.

Why are you comparing RDR to linear shooters and not the sea of other open world games? I guess because if you did you'd realize it has the least amount of content for open world games.

bitoriginal said:
which had tons of dynamic events

Eh it had about 20-30 unique "events", if you call chasing a burglar down an event I guess. But those 20-30 were repeated hundreds of times throughout the game.

Where is all of this unique sandbox content you people are finding in a game that doesn't have it?

FStop7

Banned
I spent a rainy afternoon playing poker with the ranch hands at MacFarlane's Ranch. Inside a video game. Don't hate on RDR. ;_;

Of course I also loved GTA4, apparently I'm the only one who did.

Nibel

Red Dead Redemption is one of the most hyped games of all time, despite a cool ending

It's one of these games that I played through and will never touch again

Jarmel

Banned
Hmm...crazy theory?

j8kwo.jpg

That would be flat out amazing. Oh my.

UrbanRats

Why are you comparing RDR to linear shooters and not the sea of other open world games? I guess because if you did you'd realize it has the least amount of content for open world games.

Eh it had about 20-30 unique "events", if you call chasing a burglar down an event I guess. But those 20-30 were repeated hundreds of times throughout the game.

Where is all of this unique sandbox content you people are finding in a game that doesn't have it?

If you take Just Cause 2, for example (or Red Faction Guerrilla) there wasn't exatly a sea of side activities.
I think the worst part of RDR for me were the missions (that were too many and too similar) and getting from point A to B with the horse became predictable and boring in the second half of the game.

I agree with Chinner and Derrick, RDR was simply the most boring open world games I have ever played, the auto lock on combat didn't help either.

Quick

Banned
I figured they'd probably want to go with multiple protagonists after trying it out with the GTA IV expansions. I'm definitely cool with that.

Speaking of the GTA IV expansions, I had a tough time really getting into it, but this GTA news is making me want to give it another shot.

Muffdraul

I've always dreaded the "GTA V = multi protags" thing since it was first rumored, way before the game was even officially announced. I'll try to take an "If anyone can pull it off it's Rockstar" wait-and-see approach.

But if the story plays out via playing as one guy for a few missions, then the next guy for a while, then the next guy etc., then MEH.

JDSN

Banned
Im loving multiple protagonist, no more of that nonsensical interactions of one protagonist dealing with an impossibly amount of parties that have conflicts with each other.

Derrick01

Banned

You can get 100% in 30 hours, less if the hunting challenges weren't entirely based around luck and whether those fucks wanted to spawn or not.

I should partially take back what I said though. Sleeping Dogs had less content, that only took me ~22 hours to 100%.

bitoriginal

Out of interest, did you bother going for 100% completion? Read Dead had a crazy amount of stuff to do that was actually fun and had great rewards like new outfits. It's one of the three games I've bothered 100%ing this gen because it was actually fun to do.

What are you even comparing it to anyway? What is a good sandbox to you?

Raven77

Are you really saying RDR id just like every other open world game? Also, their are actually NOT a sea of open world games like GTA and RDR, that's a fact. Please don't try and paint the assassins creed or darksiders games as open world, they aren't. Darksiders 2 could mayyyybe be considered one.

I'm sure you'll reply with 6 or 7 open world games from this gen. In a pre-response, their are ten times more generic fps and gears clones.

Yeah, the little time wasting tangential stuff in most open world games frequently turns me off, but I'm glad it's there for people who really get into it and it shows a certain commitment to details. Most of them are like city garbage collection, I'm glad it's there, I'm glad it happens, it's irritating if it stops working properly, but it's not something I'd care to do or think about if I don't need to. I usually find one or two I really enjoy and ignore the rest. In RDR for me, that was doing Bounties and horse wrangling.

I do think however that the period could have translated well. The game takes place right before WWI, there was a lot of material they could have worked with. They wanted to tell a small story though, and in the confines of what was then a culture on the way out, and thrown in Hollywood Western flavor. I hadn't really thought of the game as a missed opportunity before, but I guess I've always just thought the game worked better as a Leone homage more than a historical sandbox.

You can get 100% in 30 hours, less if the hunting challenges weren't entirely based around luck and whether those fucks wanted to spawn or not.

I should partially take back what I said though. Sleeping Dogs had less content, that only took me ~22 hours to 100%.

Oddly enough, I enjoyed Sleeping Dogs more.

UrbanRats

I've always dreaded the "GTA V = multi protags" thing since it was first rumored, way before the game was even officially announced. I'll try to take an "If anyone can pull it off it's Rockstar" wait-and-see approach.

But if the story plays out via playing as one guy for a few missions, then the next guy for a while, then the next guy etc., then MEH

That would be lame, imo.
I don't want to be stuck with a character until i play the next mission.

I don't really like open world games.. I always get distracted. But I 100%ed RDR at home after working on it for 2 years. I finished GTA IV, but stopped at the credits... so yeah.

Love the cover. Rockstar always has some of the best artwork out there. I wanted a job there primarily because of GTA III/Vice City's art & the Rockstar Logo. Bully sealed the deal.

I wonder which of my old coworkers put these together.

UrbanRats

Are you really saying RDR id just like every other open world game? Also, their are actually NOT a sea of open world games like GTA and RDR, that's a fact. Please don't try and paint the assassins creed or darksiders games as open world, they aren't. Darksiders 2 could mayyyybe be considered one.

I'm sure you'll reply with 6 or 7 open world games from this gen. In a pre-response, their are ten times more generic fps and gears clones.

Assassin's Creed IS a sandbox game, why shouldn't it be?

Derrick01

Banned
Out of interest, did you bother going for 100% completion? Read Dead had a crazy amount of stuff to do that was actually fun and had great rewards like new outfits. It's one of the three games I've bothered 100%ing this gen because it was actually fun to do.

What are you even comparing it to anyway? What is a good sandbox to you?

Yes read my last post. It's an incredibly easy and fast 100% outside of hunting challenges. GTA 4's campaign alone took me more time to finish than 100% of RDR and I'm not including the time it would take to get 100% in the GTA game that had the lowest amount of things to do.

Ravem77 said:
Please don't try and paint the assassins creed or darksiders games as open world

How is assassin's creed NOT sandbox? Was I imagining running through that massive frontier to Boston or New York the other day?

I came to this thread to read discussions about new Infos on gta V but it seems I'm in a RDR lttp thread.
Could we go back on tracks please?
All we know for now is that the game stars three protagonists and the countryside will be huge?

Edit: oh the mag didn't release yet, please ignore my comment.

Raven77

Assassin's Creed IS a sandbox game, why shouldn't it be?

I wasn't referring to ass creed 3, sorry. Was referring more to the first and second.

Regardless of my bad example, the arguement is still sound. Its ludacris to say the open world genre is as flooded as the fps genre...

UrbanRats

disabling it wouldn't have helped as most of the missions were completely boring too. The only awesome mission I remember is, the train robbery one

I guess if you can't enjoy herding cattle and stuff like that, you can't enjoy RDR.
I find it weird that people try to narrow down the definition of "fun" though, saying there wasn't enough fun stuff to do-- it's very much a subjective thing what people enjoy and have fun with.

Top Bottom