• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA V is 10 years old!

It came out 17th September 2013 and we still haven’t got VI or even an official announcement.

Did you like V, how many times did you buy it, do you play Online, have you bought Shark Cards?

I remember getting my PLAYSTATION 3 copy in the post and playing it for about 20 hours straight and I completed the campaign twice that week. I loved the campaign and played some Online with friends until heists came out but could never get back into it. I bought the game on PS3, PS4, Steam and through Rockstar. I’m a quadruple dipper :( I did buy a Shark Card once

What do you want to see in VI??

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
Only bought it once back on PS3, but I’ve played more recent versions through GamePass.

It’s a good game, I do like the 3-protagonist gimmick. Controls could be more responsive though as usual with R* these days. I could forgive a lot of shortcomings back then because it was very impressive for a Ps3 game.

GTA Online wasn’t my cup of tea. Which is why I hope VI is actually a great standalone game first and foremost and not just an appendix attached to what they actually want to sell you (GTA Online).

Only bought it once back on PS3, but I’ve played more recent versions through GamePass.

It’s a good game, I do like the 3-protagonist gimmick. Controls could be more responsive though as usual with R* these days. I could forgive a lot of shortcomings back then because it was very impressive for a Ps3 game.

GTA Online wasn’t my cup of tea. Which is why I hope VI is actually a great standalone game first and foremost and not just an appendix attached to what they actually want to sell you (GTA Online).
I’m worried that the story in VI will be shorter and less ambitious. I’m willing to give “Online 2.0” a try but it’ll need a lot of changes and improvements.

Explain. Why didn’t you keep playing and what do you think VI will do different?
It literally came out 2 months before PS4 and the game looked like hot doo doo compared to stuff like Killzone Shadowfall and all the new gen hype. Plus the PS3 version was 30 fps and for some reason just didn't have the motivation to play it. Something in GTA 5 just didn't grab me as the previous games did.

At the time i was too excited for next gen consoles I was also busy with getting my foot into the gaming industry door during that time. 2013 was my first professional E3 ever, I worked for someone else's website at the time and attended E3 with the purpose of interviews and hands on previews. And as the years went by, I got more and more involved in the industry until I had enough connections. I then quit, and started my own show in 2015 and that is where I am today.

Rockstar has a history of always raising the bar and with how much tech has already changed within the last decade, it's very exciting too see what they'll do next. So yes GTA 6 is on my highly anticipated list simply because it's going to be the next big thing for open world games assuming that Rockstar hasn't lost their touch. Also, the game takes place on Miami and I am 40 minutes away from Miami in real life. Vice City was also very nostalgic to me. Basically multiple factors that make me really excited to play it and see the tech.

I am mostly interested in seeing how AI will be in GTA 6 vs previous titles.

Last edited:

kikkis

II would like them to actually design a game that would support action gameplay. Current control scheme is all over the place and unresponsive to boot.

Last edited:

Yeah I'm also afraid they will focus on the online stuff as well...not for me.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Matt Damon Grandpa GIF

Gold Member
It’s one of my favourite games series and unlike many people I think they have gone from strength to strength. 5 for me is the best of the bunch.

It is my most bought game:
- PS4
- PC
- PS4 again (gave my first copy away)
- PS5 (might have got this free tbf)

And I still play it online with my mates. Just love fucking around in the online mode, can’t wait for 6.

Here’s to another 10 years 🥳

SHA

The game that made the console versions look stupid, you're not missing much by not playing it, believe me.

Highly over rated game with only 1 of the characters being anything interesting, bought and played through on 360 and haven't touched it since.
I was super disappointed with it since day one. I hated the toned down physics from IV, the lack of interiors, the characters were really stupid, the campaign in my opinion is the worst in the series. On top of all that GTA online has stagnated Rockstar.

Hudo

Good game but to this day I don't understand why Rockstar have not utilized their third-person shooting gameplay and "feel" of Max Payne 3 for GTA 5. Shooting shit in GTA 5 felt like multiple steps back in comparison.

digdug2

It's wild to think that they released GTA 5 10 years ago, and in a little over month, RDR2 will be 5 years old. Hopefully they formally announce GTA 6 soon.

Majormaxxx

It came out 17th September 2013 and we still haven’t got VI or even an official announcement.

Did you like V, how many times did you buy it, do you play Online, have you bought Shark Cards?

I remember getting my PLAYSTATION 3 copy in the post and playing it for about 20 hours straight and I completed the campaign twice that week. I loved the campaign and played some Online with friends until heists came out but could never get back into it. I bought the game on PS3, PS4, Steam and through Rockstar. I’m a quadruple dipper :( I did buy a Shark Card once

I beat it once on my hacked ps3, off a hard drive. Ran great. No issues at all.
Then bought it and beat it on my new ps4.
Then played the same disc on the ps4 pro on a bigger display.
Then beat the series X version on the same 4k display.
I am a fan.
The only gta I have completed 4 times... Second is vice city - 2 or 3 times if I recall.

emmerrei

Bought it back on PS3 in 2013, completed and never touched again. Tried the online for few games, never understood the appeal of doing brainless activities or just running around in the world. Plus the few progress i've done got lost by Rockstar who basically had their server wiped to zero for everyone, and got some money as compensation. Never touched again. So yeah, it's 10 year i don't touch a gta game. Another critical factor was the loading times, problem i guess, resolved nowadays with ssd's. Anyway, for me 10 years milking the same game it's shameful, no other words.

elmos-acc

I remember the announcement trailer in November 2011, I was 13 years old. I spent countless hours during the next two years in the gtaforums speculating what the game could be, the protagonists, vehicles, weapons, radio channels, gameplay design, NPC AI, story, multiplayer, and the open world. I have never been as hyped for ANYTHING as I was back then. Everything seemed perfect. We had wilderness and animals, airplanes, customization, properties to buy, Grove Street, weapon wheel, bicycles, scuba diving, tennis and golf. The hype was through the roof.

But when the game released, reality set in. It was an exciting first playthrough, but overall the game has issues - it is just not very interesting to play for me. It lacks focus. It lacks heart and soul compared to the previous installment. I could not find any purpose in Los Santos. Great lesson for the downside of hype, but I remember the years before release very fondly.

When GTA VI gets announced, I will be here dissecting the trailers with y'all. But I doubt that it will be my GOTY whatever year it releases.

Nice try, Rockstar employee.
If you have seen any of my posts about Rockstar you'll know I am not really a fan of them anymore. I'll still play GTA VI but I can't really say I'm excited for it. Their focus on GTA Online turned me off it and I know GTA VI is just going to be more of the same for the next 10+ years whenever they bother to release the game.

and how does that make me a "Rockstar employee" asking someone to share their experience and thoughts? It's a discussion forum so I asked for an explaination. It seemed odd to me that someone would play V for 2 hours, not bother with it, but be excited for VI.

Last edited:

Tams

If you have seen any of my posts about Rockstar you'll know I am not really a fan of them anymore. I'll still play GTA VI but I can't really say I'm excited for it. Their focus on GTA Online turned me off it and I know GTA VI is just going to be more of the same for the next 10+ years whenever they bother to release the game.

and how does that make me a "Rockstar employee" asking someone to share their experience and thoughts? It's a discussion forum so I asked for an explaination. It seemed odd to me that someone would play V for 2 hours, not bother with it, but be excited for VI.
hqg GIF

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I wish the game didn't sell nearly as well as it did. I think it's pretty mediocre for one, but also it was the catalyst that sent Rockstar down a terrible path with RDR2 being the only glimmer of a good game. If the game sold a quarter of the copies it did we definitely would be waiting for GTA7 by now, or at the very least get a few expansions/new games based off of GTAV like SA and VC were to III

Last edited:
Played through it countless times on ps3, ps4, and most recently on xsx (through game pass). Still one of the best games ever made. A huge step up from gta4 which was so dull and depressing.
I'd love to replay it again at some point. Maybe when VI is about to come out I'll go through it again.

I don't hate IV but I'd like to see a remake or at least a remaster. The PC versions are broken and I have no way to replay it.

Roberts

Could not remember if I played it on 360 or xbox one version so checked out True Achievements and turns out I have played both which is a bit of a surprise. And it looks like I have completed the campaign once but can't remember how it ended. Also, strangely enough, I remember all the characters very well and certain missions like the boat on highway one. I think I enjoyed the game but mostly because traversal was the most fun part - it's probably a very solid 7.5/10 game. I think GTA IV was better, maybe? I don't know, my brain starts to hurt when I try to remember this shit. Also, Never bothered with online.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I reckon this game will be like the Doom in the future and it will have to run on a Texas instruments calculator for complete validation.

Sybrix

Quite amazing really.

The consistent GTA Online updates have kept this game current across 3 generations.

Right now, Steam numbers are 135k playing.

But 10 years with no new GTA is sad, we really need a new GTA game.

At the very least to push the industry forward again.

I'm curious to see how current GTA Online transitions to GTAIV Online, right now in V you have jet bikes, nuclear submarines, yacht and insane amount of weapons.... all this goes with GTAVI Online?

Last edited:
Went to the midnight release since me and my brother wanted to play it ASAP. I still remember the hundreds of people (and lots of kids too lol) waiting in line to get their PS3/360 copy of GTA. They had to open like 4-5 extra checkout lines else we would've sit there for an extra hour or so lol. Good times!

Last edited:
It literally came out 2 months before PS4 and the game looked like hot doo doo compared to stuff like Killzone Shadowfall and all the new gen hype. Plus the PS3 version was 30 fps and for some reason just didn't have the motivation to play it. Something in GTA 5 just didn't grab me as the previous games did.

At the time i was too excited for next gen consoles I was also busy with getting my foot into the gaming industry door during that time. 2013 was my first professional E3 ever, I worked for someone else's website at the time and attended E3 with the purpose of interviews and hands on previews. And as the years went by, I got more and more involved in the industry until I had enough connections. I then quit, and started my own show in 2015 and that is where I am today.

Rockstar has a history of always raising the bar and with how much tech has already changed within the last decade, it's very exciting too see what they'll do next. So yes GTA 6 is on my highly anticipated list simply because it's going to be the next big thing for open world games assuming that Rockstar hasn't lost their touch. Also, the game takes place on Miami and I am 40 minutes away from Miami in real life. Vice City was also very nostalgic to me. Basically multiple factors that make me really excited to play it and see the tech.

I am mostly interested in seeing how AI will be in GTA 6 vs previous titles.
Shadow Fall wasn't open world, besides look how GTA 4 looked on PS3
image.png

In 2012, R* explained why the released it for PS3 and X360:

In 2013, they said that GTA V on PS3 and X360 feels next gen:

Last edited:

jonnyp

Who cares? If only people could stop re-buying it we would've had a new one long ago.

Last edited:

GladiusFrog

I'd like to see Co-op for the story.

Saints Row 2 did this so well, wish other open world action games attempted co-op.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I bought it for 360 and finished the story, then I got it for PS4 when that upgrade released and finished the story again. Then I got the PS5 upgrade for $10 and played up until Franklin moves into the mansion. I also got the XSX version for free through a giveaway but I haven't played it much. I never did like GTA online. I only played it on 360.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Cant wait for 6. Hopefully it doesn't have as much shouting. There's just something really special about a new gta. I just hope this one is day one pc.

Shadow Fall wasn't open world, besides look how GTA 4 looked on PS3
image.png

In 2012, R* explained why the released it for PS3 and X360:

In 2013, they said that GTA V on PS3 and X360 feels next gen:

That's great and all but your point is irrelevant to my post. I was asked by another person why I didnt get hooked on GTA 5 and gave my explanation and personal subjective opinion. Yeah, obviously it was better visually than GTA IV. That doesn't change the fact that the game didn't hook me in. Also, the focus online kind of pissed me off.

Also, I wasn't making a direct comparison between GTA V to Killzone Shadowfall. But Shadowfall was a true next gen game running on a new generation system and that alone was more exciting for me than playing GTA 5 in the PS3. This has nothing to do with Shadowfall being open world or not, you completely misunderstood my point and it went over your head.

The game feeling "next gen" on PS3/X360 is a complete factual lie and just a marketing speech. The game was released on PS3/360 which means it was developed to run on an old generation hardware from 2005/2006.

Your game physically cannot next gen, because it's being forced to work on such a old hardware. It was the swan song for that era just like TLOU was a exclusive swan song for the PS3. But none of these games were "next gen" Yeah, they were impressive visually for how old hardware was/is but that's it. TLOU 2 was also released in 2020 and looked absolutely spectacular, but to call it a "next gen" game would also be a lie, because it was made to run on the hardware from 2013.

A next gen GTA would have been a GTA that released specifically to run of the PS4/X1 hardware as the lowest common denominator, but Rockstar made Resd Redemption 2 instead for that generation while releasing beefed up version of GTA5 on PS4/X1 and even the PS5/Series X.

TLDR, it will be exciting too see GTA6 after 2 console eras.

Last edited:
Top Bottom