• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA V PC Performance Thread

Bebpo

Banned
Create a file named "commandline.txt" in the GTA V root folder and paste "-scOfflineOnly" into it without the quotation marks. It should force the game to start in offline mode.

Wow, this really really fixes it completely. That's fucking insane that such a high profile release is nearly unplayable because of some online thing and they haven't fixed it.

So nice to be able to play the last 25% of the game smooth again after playing like 10 hours this week with the non-stop stutter. Was giving me headaches :\

Wow, this really really fixes it completely. That's fucking insane that such a high profile release is nearly unplayable because of some online thing and they haven't fixed it.

So nice to be able to play the last 25% of the game smooth again after playing like 10 hours this week with the non-stop stutter. Was giving me headaches :\

That fact that single player requires social club is baffling, it just causes problems.

I remember when I couldn't play Max Payne 3 (I only wanted to play single player) because of social club refusing to work.

Bebpo

Banned
Warning though, turning the social club off to fix the stutter glitches out the stock market even in the LCQ offline market. I invested all my money with all my characters into stocks before the final assassination mission and after it when it had already auto-saved, I went to sell my stocks and they were all gone. My portfolio said I had no stocks with any of the characters, so I basically just lost all my money :(

Turning social club back on doesn't fix it at this point and my previous manual save is like 5 hours back so I guess I'll just deal with no money for the rest of the game and not buy the properties and get the property missions :(

Over-Run

Anybody have issues with resolution? My game is set to 1920 x 1080, but it seems like when I hover over items in the menu, I have to move it more to the right or left to select the item, also the phone ingame appears like in the middle of the screen and is squished to like 1 third the size

komorebi

Warning though, turning the social club off to fix the stutter glitches out the stock market even in the LCQ offline market. I invested all my money with all my characters into stocks before the final assassination mission and after it when it had already auto-saved, I went to sell my stocks and they were all gone. My portfolio said I had no stocks with any of the characters, so I basically just lost all my money :(

Turning social club back on doesn't fix it at this point and my previous manual save is like 5 hours back so I guess I'll just deal with no money for the rest of the game and not buy the properties and get the property missions :(

Goddamn, sorry to hear that but thanks for giving us the heads up. I'll be sure to re-enable this shitty DRM when I do the assassin missions.

Vuze

Anybody have issues with resolution? My game is set to 1920 x 1080, but it seems like when I hover over items in the menu, I have to move it more to the right or left to select the item, also the phone ingame appears like in the middle of the screen and is squished to like 1 third the size

Did you select the right aspect ratio for your screen?
Otherwise maybe a screenshot would help.

oti

Banned
I can't finish the game. It always crashes during the mission Lamar down. Sometimes on the way to the fight, sometimes after. First if freezes, then the sound stops and last it crashes. I've never seen something like this before in the ~30h I've played this game.

I've tried this mission for at least ten times now. It's a long ride to get there, a long fight and a long ride to come back. I've set the textures on normal (yikes) and it's using half of the available memory according to the settings. But again, I've been playing it on almost max settings all along.

I think I'm just gonna give up at this point.

Vuze

I can't finish the game. It always crashes during the mission Lamar down. Sometimes on the way to the fight, sometimes after. First if freezes, then the sound stops and last it crashes. I've never seen something like this before in the ~30h I've played this game.

I've tried this mission for at least ten times now. It's a long ride to get there, a long fight and a long ride to come back. I've set the textures on normal (yikes) and it's using half of the available memory according to the settings. But again, I've been playing it on almost max settings all along.

Also had two crashes there and I eventually gave up because of the tiresome ride. Then I got Enhanced Native Trainer and rushed through the mission by using teleport & infinite health, no problemo.

komorebi

This happened to me, a Google search showed that it's a bug when more than one monitor is connected. I tested it by unplugging the HDMI to my TV and sure enough the phone un-squished itself and went back to normal.

epmode

I launched the game for the first time in a few weeks and oh god, I'm now getting a big stutter every second or two. It's easy to see when I stand in place and slowly rotate the camera around my character.

I was getting something similar when the game launched but it went away when I got my G-Sync monitor.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist

make sure you don't have the game set up in the options to launch straight into single player. I remember that causing a lot of problems. have it launch to main menu then select single player

I launched the game for the first time in a few weeks and oh god, I'm now getting a big stutter every second or two. It's easy to see when I stand in place and slowly rotate the camera around my character.

I was getting something similar when the game launched but it went away when I got my G-Sync monitor.

Do this:

Create a file named "commandline.txt" in the GTA V root folder and paste "-scOfflineOnly" into it without the quotation marks. It should force the game to start in offline mode.

At some point they introduced a incredibly annoying hitch that is related to the online component. If you are playing single player this should fix your issue.

epmode

Do this:

At some point they introduced a incredibly annoying hitch that is related to the online component. If you are playing single player this should fix your issue.

Thanks. I'll give that a go AFTER I invest my $40M in the stock market. Don't want to run into that offline glitch Bebpo mentioned earlier.

I was playing a spot of multiplayer earlier, and there was a random crash to desktop. I've now tried launching the game again, and it has been stuck on this screen for about 20 mins:

gtavdzrs6.png

The download rate is fluctuating, yet nothing seems to be happening. Has anyone had this problem before?

I was playing a spot of multiplayer earlier, and there was a random crash to desktop. I've now tried launching the game again, and it has been stuck on this screen for about 20 mins:

gtavdzrs6.png

The download rate is fluctuating, yet nothing seems to be happening. Has anyone had this problem before?

Everyone seems to be having this problem, Rockstar is aware of it, it probably has something to do with the update tomorrow.

Performance seems worse with the latest patch. Frequent framedrops in SP, and quite a bit of stuttering in online mode.

Exactly, WTF is going on with R*? Just as they fixed all stuttering issues they kick out a new update and everything goes back to shit, makes me freaking mad... This keeps going on and I'm done with the game.

Exactly, WTF is going on with R*? Just as they fixed all stuttering issues they kick out a new update and everything goes back to shit, makes me freaking mad... This keeps going on and I'm done with the game.

Only Rockstar releases patches that make the fucking game perform worse.

komorebi

Oh great. I auto-updated this morning, looks like that was a bad idea.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
The game (mainly online) is beyond saving.

There are hackers in every single match, everyone is getting millions handed out, money is now useless, and the lag is ridiculous.

It can still be fun with friends but R* really dropped the ball.

Yeah, seriously. I got into a lobby last night after not playing for a while.... "It's Hip to Be Square" was playing on repeat and UFOs were spawning everywhere. It was funny for a minute then I switched servers and I just exploded the second I walked outside over and over.

Thought maybe I had got stuck in the cheaters pool for some reason but I doubt it.

noomi

cleaned up the OP a bit with some latest drivers and patch notes.

Many of the fixes, tips....etc are now outdated.

I guess I won't be playing until the next update. Unless there's a way to prevent the game from updating? I don't have the steam version, so maybe I can avoid it?

Jin

Played for 15 minutes and the stutter has gotten worse. Almost unplayable. I don't get it. It's like R* is sabotaging their own game. It ran reasonably well during release and now it turn to shit.

zXe

I was playing today and when I opened the map it was stuttering everywhere. Had to exit out the game completely and restart it again.

Gnubberen

Neo Member
This happened to me, a Google search showed that it's a bug when more than one monitor is connected. I tested it by unplugging the HDMI to my TV and sure enough the phone un-squished itself and went back to normal.

Funny thing about this bug... It also renders the homing launcher unable to lock on to anything.

Also the lastest patch didn't fix it.

Jelle

Great, decided to give up on trying to run Batman with any decent framerate and give GTAV another spin since that got 'fixed' using the offline trick. Now this.

Often, I find tweaking and fiddling around on the pc for that perfect stutter-free 60fps a cool pastime. But sometimes, I just want to actually play and benefit from the huge hardware investments that are more than capable of 1080p60....

Bebpo

Banned
Really frustrating performance drop with the latest patch. Just when I got it working with smooth 60fps by keeping the game offline so I could finish the single player campaign...now I have to do the last 10-15% of the campaign with choppy framerate since it'll probably be another 3-4 weeks until a patch.

Facepalming because I really should have checked "auto-updates OFF" on steam once I got the game running smoothly. That's going to be my new strategy for all PC games. Once I get a PC game running 60fps smooth, no updates until I finish the campaign because this whole idea of games getting patched and running worse while you're in the middle of the campaign is so frustrating.

Even more so because there's no way to roll back on patches.

Not sure what they messed up now. It's something specific to how the city is rendered since I did a mission in Yorktown and it was smooth 60fps, so it's not a global issue but a specific performance drop in the main city/island due to some change they implemented.

:(

Really frustrating performance drop with the latest patch. Just when I got it working with smooth 60fps by keeping the game offline so I could finish the single player campaign...now I have to do the last 10-15% of the campaign with choppy framerate since it'll probably be another 3-4 weeks until a patch.

Facepalming because I really should have checked "auto-updates OFF" on steam once I got the game running smoothly. That's going to be my new strategy for all PC games. Once I get a PC game running 60fps smooth, no updates until I finish the campaign because this whole idea of games getting patched and running worse while you're in the middle of the campaign is so frustrating.

Not sure what they messed up now. It's something specific to how the city is rendered since I did a mission in Yorktown and it was smooth 60fps, so it's not a global issue but a specific performance drop in the main city/island due to some change they implemented.

:(

I turned auto-updates off, and for some reason it switched back to auto updates when I booted up Steam on the day of the patch. Steam really sucks dicks sometimes.

I thought there was no such thing as an 'auto updates off' feature on Steam any longer? In my experience it never worked when it was available, and now all my games only have 'always keep up to date', 'only update when launched', and 'high priority' as update options - there is no 'off'.

Vuze

Well, there is, sort of, atleast for GTA is quite easy to do. You can always backup the executables and update.rpf before updating and copy-paste them back later on. That's how I did it before the first patch when nobody knew if Scripthook will work again in the near future. Steam didn't bother me with any update notifications until I forced it to check the files.

epmode

I thought there was no such thing as an 'auto updates off' feature on Steam any longer? In my experience it never worked when it was available, and now all my games only have 'always keep up to date', 'only update when launched', and 'high priority' as update options - there is no 'off'.

There hasn't been an effective off switch for Steam updates in years. The games will always check for updates when launched while Steam is online. The only way around it is to run Steam in offline mode before launching the game.

It would be nice to have a patch rollback feature like in GOG Galaxy.

Where did all this micro-stuttering come from? I really have no words...... Just wtf, wtffff.

Supposedly from junk code added by Rockstar to combat modding.

First up, we're all sorry for the problems we encountered with the release last night. Unfortunately, there was a game breaking performance issue which was found only a few hours before we intended to release and this has required some time to investigate.

The good news is that we've done our best to mitigate this problem, related to the way in which Rockstar has started to introduce anti-modding protections. For those of you interested in the technical detail, here's a snippet of a performance test ran by Alexander Blade and LMS:

Performance difference between GTA V version 372 and 393

Calling SET_CURRENT_PED_WEAPON 1000 times via ScriptHookV and RAGEPluginHook:
372: ~582ms (RPH: ~585ms)
393: ~2480ms (RPH: ~2490ms)

Performance on version 323/350 is most likely even better due to even less/no obfuscation than 372.
In short, on the previous patch (372), it took 585 milliseconds for the function to be executed 1000 times. On the newest patch (393), it took 2490 milliseconds, which is roughly 2.5 seconds, to be executed 1000 times. This means that this particular function takes five times longer to execute on the latest patch than it did previously. LSPDFR 0.2 and 0.1 call this function a lot, mainly to stop other police officers from killing suspects, as we force them to be unarmed when appropriate by using it. As such, during a pursuit with even a couple of units, performance takes a hit.

With the problem identified, we've managed to come up with an alternative way of doing things that doesn't have such a dreadful impact on performance. This version is currently undergoing testing, and we hope to be in a position to release 0.2 as soon as possible. Note that I won't commit to a date, as it is possible we run into further issues, and we'd like to avoid a situation similar to last night's, but there is still the possibility that we can release today, and we'll keep you updated as to our progress.

Sam.

Qassim

So is this performance hit only when you're running some sort of mod? I'm running the game un-modded and whilst I haven't played a lot of it since the patch, when I tried it I didn't really notice any reduction in performance or micro-stuttering - and I'm someone who leaves Afterburner's graphs open with framerate & frametime open on the other monitor when playing a game.

So is this performance hit only when you're running some sort of mod? I'm running the game un-modded and whilst I haven't played a lot of it since the patch, when I tried it I didn't really notice any reduction in performance or micro-stuttering - and I'm someone who leaves Afterburner's graphs open with framerate & frametime open on the other monitor when playing a game.

They added junk code that has something to do with scripts, and this is what is supposedly fucking up performance. I may be wrong.

Bebpo

Banned
They added junk code that has something to do with scripts, and this is what is supposedly fucking up performance. I may be wrong.

Same thing we've seen with DRM that destroys cd drives and installs malware. Companies are so obsessed with fucking over anyone toying with their files that they just kamikaze their own products and hurt all the standard users in the process of doing so.

So frustrating. I love the game of GTAV, so I'm impressed with Rockstar as a developer, but I hate everything they've done about it from a business point of view, so I'm pretty annoyed by them (or 2k if 2k is forcing this stuff) as a publisher.

The extra code may have something to do with performance over the past two patches, but what about the awful performance prior to those patches? seemed like it was something new in every patch.

LilJoka

OMG RAGING
WTF has happened to the game? I had a locked 60fps setup with minor dips rarely.

Now in driving around an the game is literally coming to a halt and fps going down to 47! The frame times are out of whack giving a jittery experience when the game is close to 60, but I can barely hold 60 anymore. It feels worse than Xbox 360 and omg the tearing is EVERYWHERE now.

I only played the game a few days back and got the patch today. It was absolutely perfect for me before.

R* fix this shit I'm so annoyed, I paid good money for a working product that no longer works properly.

Top Bottom