• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA V PC Performance Thread

Wow, that was weird. I downloaded the beta drivers earlier but they didn't install for some reason. Now the game runs good as hell. Mostly locked at 60, except dips into like 56 or so driving fast around a lot of people.

Very high textures, high every thing else. Downsampling from 1440P

I7 4770k
r9 290x

Anybody with an AMD FX-8350 and a 970 have impressions? I'd like to be able to play at 60FPS 1080p.

AMD FX-8350 @ 4.0Ghz
970 GTX
8GB DDR3 @ 1333mhz

Hooks

Does anyone else seem to have stutter/jitter when looking around with the mouse? Even though my FPS counter shows 60, it seems like the game stutters or jitters a bit during panning/zoom scenes. It was very noticeable during the intro sequence.

Running on pretty much all maxed with FXAA.
Specs:
i5-4670k
MSI GTX 970
8 gb ram
Yeah for people getting this, Try setting the input method to "direct" fixed my mouse stutter issue completely

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Buddy and I played it on his rig tonight for 20 minutes or so - the prologue and Franklin's first mission.

32GB
Titan X
7200RPM HDD

Asus ROG Swift G-Sync Monitor

Everything stock. With EVERYTHING maxed, it hovered in the high 30s at 1440p. Turn down the AA, though, and keep everything else on ultra, and it kept above 50fps most the time. With G-Sync, that's more than fine, and it looks absolutely great. It seriously plays like a different game than the Xbox One version.

Seanspeed

Banned
What's regular memory usage like?

I see a lot of people with 16GB mostly reporting little to no framerate drops while people with 8GB often reporting a less stable framerate.

Coincidence?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Last batch for me tonight. Countryside, draw distance, and night time.

Countryside does hit the frame rate into the lower 40's but more than playable. Game looks phenomenal in motion. Could push more settings but I do enjoy 60fps most of the time.

The grass LOD
gta52015-04-1323-37-5xlse8.png

Draw distance
gta52015-04-1323-39-0b7sip.png

Deer
gta52015-04-1323-50-2zxs1i.png

Dust lighting when screeching tires
gta52015-04-1323-50-3plsou.png

Night time scenic coolness
gta52015-04-1323-55-4v4smw.png

gta52015-04-1323-48-320s8x.png

gta52015-04-1323-51-54ls84.png

gta52015-04-1323-53-3s7sqn.png

As noted, these are 1440p with maxed settings minus 2xMSAA since it eats up more VRAM with 4x.

Mine shows up as 8GB, uses every bit of it so that's why I turn MSAA to x2.

Well heres something interesting. I launched up my game and it was stuttering as usual. I knocked down my resolution to 1080p and it stopped stuttering. I then put my resolution back up to 1440p and it wasn't stuttering anymore either. I only tested it a few minutes but I found that interesting.

Kevyt

Wow, that was weird. I downloaded the beta drivers earlier but they didn't install for some reason. Now the game runs good as hell. Mostly locked at 60, except dips into like 56 or so driving fast around a lot of people.

Very high textures, high every thing else. Downsampling from 1440P

I7 4770k
r9 290x

Are you using MSAA or FXAA?

wiggleb0t

Banned
Anyone getting good SLI scaling?
Performance and SLI scaling are garbage with Nvidia GTAV drivers.
Max 40% on each gpu - framerate around 30fps dipping into 20s

7704gb sli
3770k 4.6
16gb ram

SlickVic

What is the significance of the "ignore suggested limits" toggle? Mine was set to off but it seems to still allow you to make as many tweaks to the graphics options as I'd like.

Qassim

What's regular memory usage like?

I see a lot of people with 16GB mostly reporting little to no framerate drops while people with 8GB often reporting a less stable framerate.

Coincidence?

I'm hovering at 2.7GB of system memory used by the game itself.

My overall system memory usage is 9GB whilst running the game. Apps I'm running along side:

mumble
hexchat
spotify
steam
msi afterburner

And a few other background things, but they're all of minimum memory usage.

Rur0ni

Does this game have a cap? Can't get more than 60 fps, and my mouse is kinda laggy in menu, as though it's 60 hz or something. 144hz screen and refresh set in Windows.

Edit:
Using the menu in game is almost impossible with all the lagging. Anyone the same?

The game itself runs great.
Yeah, that's what I've got.

Salsa

you guys figured the more demanding settings and whats best to tone down yet?

still a bit disappointed with my drops when driving

Played the intro and then drove around as Franklin for a while. I'm getting 50+fps with a stock i5-4690K and a GTX970 running at 1440p in a borderless window. All settings maxed with FXAA, soft shadows set to softest and all Advanced Options set to off. MSAA and reflection MSAA are also off. There's some stuttering here and there, especially during panning in cutscenes, but otherwise it looks and feels great. Raw input mouse aim is OP, I was headshotting everyone during that intro.

I'm so happy that this isn't the crazy mess that GTAIV was/is.

Something interesting - a lot of games I play at 4k hit my vram limit pretty quick at max settings, which causes lots of hitching and stuttering. I'm not experiencing that with GTA V, tho. Aside from max grass tanking my fps, the game is running pretty damn smooth. 4k, all max except fxaa, the estimate bar at the top of the graphics menu is red, and there's almost no stutter. Crazy! :D

Dinjoralo

you guys figured the more demanding settings and whats best to tone down yet?

still a bit disappointed with my drops when driving

I second this, though I did see four settings that were really taxing earlier. I think they were MSAA, ultra grass LOD, high resolution shadows, and advanced view distance.

Actually, what is the shadow quality option? There's already an option specifically for resolution, so... eh?

Kvik

Anyone getting good SLI scaling?
Performance and SLI scaling are garbage with Nvidia GTAV drivers.
Max 40% on each gpu - framerate around 30fps dipping into 20s

7704gb sli
3770k 4.6
16gb ram

I asked Shoe786 earlier in this thread to post his Afterburner telemetry:

5930k @4.2
2x titan x sli
Everything to max, txaa on.

I'm averaging 90ish fps at 1440p. Sli seems fine but I keep crashing at the intro cutscene after Michael leaves his therapists office. Could be the oc on the cards tho, still breaking them in.

So far sli seems flawless.

The GPU usage graph looks consistent enough, although those are of Titan X's. YMMV.

Seanspeed

Banned
I'm hovering at 2.7GB of system memory used by the game itself.

My overall system memory usage is 9GB whilst running the game. Apps I'm running along side:

mumble
hexchat
spotify
steam
msi afterburner

And a few other background things, but they're all of minimum memory usage.
Well that seems alright.

void666

Banned
Looks great and runs smooth most of the time. But i'm having some hiccups. And sometimes textures won't load. I'll move the game to my SSD and see if it gets better.

Foffy

Banned
I didn't buy the game yet, but I was curious; could I get 60fps at 1080p on these settings?

- i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz
- GTX 580
- 16GB

I would like to hit those settings with the core game stuff at max, save for AA. I might be asking for a lot, no? ;A;

If I can't, I don't think I'll be buying it yet.

Figure I'd bump this, as I didn't see a reply to help me see if I am good enough for the game. Really itching to get it, but not if I really struggle to get 60fps. I can handle weak AA, but the other settings hitting me make it a hard sell.

SlickVic

Well applying optimal settings via GeForce experience seems to restart the game with everything set to low and 800x600 res. Weird.

Downsampled from 6000x3375K. Solid 25 FPS!

16934577627_56911170e2_o.jpg

I've no interest in taking screenshots right now. Gotta wrap my head around the director mode.

The game is actually pretty playable for me at 5120x2880 (hovers around 35 FPS).

Also, the CA is nasty.

BNGames

Here are my Benchmarks with everything but the resolution cranked to max

This is the one with the Benchmark Glitch (Funny): https://youtu.be/ipYHNWchVyY

This is the real working Benchmark: https://youtu.be/_3gp9aC0pas

Specs:
COOLER MASTER HAF X Blue Edition
COOLER MASTER Silent Pro Gold Series RS800-80GAD3-US 800W
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO
Intel Core i7-3770 Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.9GHz Turbo)
(DUAL in SLI) EVGA 04G-2983-KR GeForce GTX 980 Superclocked 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5 ACX 2.0 PCI Express 3.0
ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77
G.SKILL Sniper Gaming Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900)
Western Digital WD Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" ASUS Black Blu-ray Drive SATA Model BC-12B1ST/BLK/B/AS
SAMSUNG 840 EVO MZ-7TE120BW 2.5" 120GB SATA III TLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
SAMSUNG 850 Pro Series MZ-7KE512BW 2.5" 512GB SATA III 3-D Vertical Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

bbd23

dropping into the damn 30's now even when sticking with NVIDIA "Optimized" settings...what the hell

The "advanced graphics settings" are seriously taxing. So is MSAA.

yea...I just put the "extended distance" down a few notches,huge help.

To people who are impressed at the performance you do realise that means they could have given us even better graphics if they wanted to, right?

You see great performance, I see insufficient graphical options.

Don't worry, there are a few settings that will demolish your PC.

Runs pretty well on the Alienware Alpha i3, busting the VRAM limit with everything in very high and MSAA off and still maintaining around 35fps downsampling from 1440p. At 1080p I hover around 50 with drops to 45.
Thanks for posting this! I've been wondering how the game will perform on the Alpha and your impressions make it sound like it'll run better than I was expecting.

Top Bottom