• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA V PC Performance Thread

The popin during the flight bench is so horrendous and jarring. That is with high quality asset streaming on and adv distance scaling off.

Cranking all the adv settings up except for high res shadow remedied 80% of the popin. With a perf hit of around 20 fps. Not sure if worth it.

MattyG

Banned
About how well would my 760 and i5-3570k at 3.4ghz handle this in comparison to the PS4 version? I'm thinking of triple dipping.

Works fine for me!

1080p/60fps

All settings are at highest possible and I'm running smooth with framerate locked at 60 FPS (v-synch on)

CPU i7 920 (stock)
GPU Radeon 770 GTX 4GB (OC'd edition)
12GB DDR3 1333
500GB Samsung Evo SSD

I can't believe how great this game runs on a mostly 5 year-old system!

Totally blown away. Offline and Online work perfectly with no issues.

It's a miracle!

People getting pop in - edit your view distance settings a bit. If they're too high and your system can't handle the load the pop in just gets really bad.

ref

980 SLI
4790k @ 4.7
16GB's of RAM
1440p

All settings maxed. No MSAA though. FXAA enabled.

140+ fps in doors, out doors 60-140+.

I'll have to tweak around with some settings to get a constant 90+.

Anybody know what so far causes the largest drops? I get the feeling it's one of the density sliders.

Is there a verdict on dual cores yet? I know a couple of other new games aren't running at all, but you never know til you try I guess. Also I was looking through the steam forums and someone stated that it was running well for them, but I'm certainly not gonna take their word on that.

I have well beyond minimum specs other than the core count.

dmr87

980 SLI
4790k @ 4.7
16GB's of RAM
1440p

All settings maxed. No MSAA though. FXAA enabled.

140+ fps in doors, out doors 60-140+.

I'll have to tweak around with some settings to get a constant 90+.

Anybody know what so far causes the largest drops? I get the feeling it's one of the density sliders.

Shadows is one of them but going to high from very high looks like ass, can't take it.

you guys figured the more demanding settings and whats best to tone down yet?

still a bit disappointed with my drops when driving

Upon further testing the 4 settings that make or break performance for me are:

- MSAA (who would have thought)
- Ultra grass quality (very high does wonders)
- High res shadows in advanced graphics
- Extended distance scaling in advanced graphics
edit: You can also add "reflection quality". Ultra is quite demanding.

Tweaking this and maxing out the rest gives me 60 locked it seems. But I haven't entered a plane or a heli yet, so that might change things up....

Sorry if this has been asked, but how do people get the 60Hhz option to appear?

I'm playing through my Sony KDL60W850B and the highest it shows is 59Hz..
That's normal. TV 60p is often actually 60/1.001, Movie 24p is actually 24/1.001. (~23.976 Hz)
Nvidia and AMD show this as 59 Hz in the control panels.

Last batch for me tonight. Countryside, draw distance, and night time.

Edit: Why oh why did they enable shitty CA?
caw8z5i.png

Is there a verdict on dual cores yet? I know a couple of other new games aren't running at all, but you never know til you try I guess. Also I was looking through the steam forums and someone stated that it was running well for them, but I'm certainly not gonna take their word on that.

I have well beyond minimum specs other than the core count.

Same here. I read over at Gtaforum that a couple people seem to have it running on dual core, but sounds like it might be a bottle neck. Still generally unsure and won't be installing for at least a few days for a verdict on the subject.

Works fine for me!

1080p/60fps

All settings are at highest possible and I'm running smooth with framerate locked at 60 FPS (v-synch on)

CPU i7 920 (stock)
GPU Radeon 770 GTX 4GB (OC'd edition)
12GB DDR3 1333
500GB Samsung Evo SSD

I can't believe how great this game runs on a mostly 5 year-old system!

Totally blown away. Offline and Online work perfectly with no issues.

It's a miracle!

So you are running 8xMSAA, ultra grass and maxed out advanced options? I have my doubts.

I had some weird artifacts in the bottom right side of my screen only when I turned the camera a certain way, I had to turn reflections MSAA down to 2x and it stopped, really weird.

I'm debating whether or not to keep my settings on a mix of normal/high/very high and keep the framerate up or locking it at 30fps and turning some stuff up.

About how well would my 760 and i5-3570k at 3.4ghz handle this in comparison to the PS4 version? I'm thinking of triple dipping.

Easily surpassing consoles by a large margin, you can go up to 1080p60fps at high/very high settings, or 1080p30fps at max with MSAA enabled.

SlickVic

I have a GTX 860M, i7 4810, 8GB RAM, installed to SSD and getting a pretty solid 1080p, 30FPS.

I know it's not as cool as 60FPS with maxed out settings, but you have to make some concessions with a year old mid-range gaming laptop. Got textures to very high (even though the settings is giving a warning that I'm out of memory) and the rest of the settings on a mix of high to very high (and a couple to normal). I'm already pretty impressed with how it looks, though I am curious to see if I can bump up a few more settings without sacrificing too much performance.

So far seems like an incredibly well optimized port. Compared to the opposite end of the spectrum, I could never get AC Unity to run as any more than a stuttering chugfest on this machine.

Smokey

i7 4930k @ 4.5ghz
2x GTX Titan X
16GB RAM
Samsung EVO SSD
ROG Swift Monitor (144hz, 2560x1440, Gsync)
Samsung 4k Monitor

Ready to eat the game up. Going to go for max settings on the ROG Swift first since that is what I currently have hooked up. Will follow up with the 4k moniotor before night is over.

So I got the game working and

oh my god

I have everything maxed playing at 4k. With MSAA 4x, my fps never dipped below 90. This is after you take control of Franklin. I was able to drive around and I didn't see it go below 90.

I have reflections at 8x MSAA. Shadows at NVIDIA PCSS. Long Shadows On. High Resolution Shadows ON. Max Density, Very High Tessellation. Max EVERYTHING and I'm still well above 60fps.

For kicks I put on 8x MSAA. Again this is at 4k. My VRAM shot up to 8GB in game, and my fps dropped to around 60-65 fps. Both Titan X's were at 98%-99% scaling. Incredible stuff. Jaw dropping. Tears ;_;

Rur0ni

Does this game have a cap? Can't get more than 60 fps, and my mouse is kinda laggy in menu, as though it's 60 hz or something. 144hz screen and refresh set in Windows.

Edit:
Yeah, that's what I've got.
Figured it out. Windowed Borderless doesn't support anything other than "Auto" for the refresh rate, which caps at 60, on my system anyway.

finalflame

oh my god

I have everything maxed playing at 4k. With MSAA 4x, my fps never dipped below 90. This is after you take control of Franklin. I was able to drive around and I didn't see it go below 90.

I have reflections at 8x MSAA. Shadows at NVIDIA PCSS. Long Shadows On. High Resolution Shadows ON. Max Density, Very High Tessellation. Max EVERYTHING and I'm still well above 60fps.

For kicks I put on 8x MSAA. Again this is at 4k. My VRAM shot up to 8GB in game, and my fps dropped to around 60-65 fps. Both Titan X's were at 98%-99% scaling. Incredible stuff. Jaw dropping. Tears ;_;

This game has absolutely fantastic SLi scaling. My 2x980s are handling everything maxxed at 1440p, 2xMSAA, 2x shadow MSAA, TXAA, and Softest shadows + everything else (desnsity, etc) maxed and pumping 60-70 FPS driving and 75-100 FPS on foot on my 120hz 1440p Korean monitor.

It's a thing of beauty. I wish all PC games got this level of care and polish. Good going, Rockstar.

Damn smokey that's incredible.

Nvidia you better hurry up with that 980ti because my 780ti is living on the edge.

How I'm feeling too. My VRAM is definitely not cutting it.

4670k @ 4.6
780ti
24gb RAM

I've turned down a couple things on my rig to get a mostly consistent 1080/60. I'm at MSAA 4x (shadows 4x) and in advanced settings shadow resolution is medium (? the one below the highest). Everything else is maxed out though. I'll probably need to drop texture resolution because man my VRAM is just not happy about this game lol. I'm mostly getting 60+ fps with dips into the mid 50s. I've only played an hour though and haven't had any huge explosions or anything. In-game v-sync is doing that annoying thing where it decides it wants to stay either 59 or 30, nowhere in between. I'll probably force v-sync in the Nvidia control panel.

Another super annoying thing is that having v-sync off makes the fps in my menu shoot up to like 250+ and it's really fucking with the controller inputs when that happens.

Elsolar

Damn this game has a lot of aliasing. Normally I just push games as hard as I can at native res then use AA if have any horsepower left over, but I'm considering lowering some settings so I can use some MSAA.

oh my god

I thought you only had 2 TitanXs? That doesn't make any sense. With just a single TitanX, 2560x1440 with 2xMSAA hovers between 60-70. 4K drops to 40-45. But you're getting more than double that performance with 4xMSAA. Can't be that the CPU is making that much difference....

Maybe I gotta do a fresh driver install and see if that helps.

AmyS

oh my god

Can you post some Youtube video at 1080p60 ? I'll watch it using my lowly PeasantStation 4 and its Youtube App

:D

Wallach

So my video looks like it has finished processing, but YouTube wasn't too kind to it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaquAHgaanE

That said, once I started driving around up in the hills area outside town, my framerate went to 30 FPS. Like dead locked, as if triple buffering were not enabled. Don't see a setting for it so I guess it'd have to be enabled in drivers.

Someone mentioned there was a framerate cap setting? I can't find one. I'm considering cranking stuff up and just capping it at 30. The frame timing is really sharp and I might prefer doing a little more AA and settings rather than coming down for 60 FPS.

GamingArena

Blown away by performance 144fps g-synced at 1440p, rarely drops to 100-120fps fully maxed with 2x MSAA no FXAA

If does shows me double FPS i got confused at the beginning, till i realize it shows double FPS same as it shows double of available VRAM, must be a bug with SLI it shows all double

Salsa

you guys got some more of dem titans

ngbbs43cddec7e2b26.jpg

totally playable and enjoying it on the 2 gig 680 but man the potential for max settings greatness bums me out

My 760 is doing an admirable job, but I have a feeling some more VRAM would be magical for me.

totally playable and enjoying it on the 2 gig 680 but man the potential for max settings greatness bums me out

I know man. This is the first game I've gotten where 2GB of VRAM isn't working wonders. Seriously pondering a 4GB card now, lol. Anything higher is way too expensive for me to justify.

laxu

• i5-3570K @ 4.5 GHz
  • GTX 970 SLI overclocked to 1500/7600
  • 8 GB DDR3
  • Asus PG278Q 2560x1440 G-Sync
  • Game on SSD

I just ran the benchmark at 1440p with all settings on their highest (Nvidia PCSS shadows) except AA on MSAA x4 + TXAA (FXAA off), extended distance in advanced settings on about 70%. It seems that on the street the game runs roughly 40-60 fps and in the air it can drop slightly below 40 but hovers around 40-50 fps.

I tried getting the game to run with ReShade+SweetFx but it would just crash with the G3D_INIT error. I hope I can get it running with that because getting rid of that MSAA would give me a great performance boost.

I feel the game runs quite well now, didn't notice any major issues with gameplay but then again I've got a G-Sync display so the drops aren't that noticeable. I saw a few slight hitches (felt loading related) at random points (mostly when entering shops or your house).

I think to "max" this game at 1440p a GTX 980 SLI rig would do pretty well. I'll have to check if more RAM does anything when my 16 GB 2133 MHz CL10 RAM arrives next week.

ido

So, how exactly do I run the benchmark for this? This is my first PC game in a long, long time. It seems to be running flawlessly, though, but I can't see the fps or anything.

i5-3570 oc'd to 4.2
gtx 970 ftw
16 gb ram

so far so good.

DarKshodaN

Last night i had some stuttering while i was driving.
I copyed all the files to my SSD Drive, and now it runs like a dream on my i5 with a GTX970.

Can't wait to play some more, when i am back from work :)

I keep crashing every 15 minutes then my social club comes up with nothing filled in and a message saying "blah blah has been logged in at another location" I'm not sure what is going on, i changed my password just in case...still same issue. Cant seem to find anything online about it, wondering if anyone else has the issue.

Hello guys!

I'm one of those "fortunate" players who will enjoy their GTA V copy in the next 10-11 hours, could someone give a hint on how will this game run on my rig??

I7-3770K (not oc)
GTX 970
8GB DDR3

Much appreciated!

Qassim

I think we can say this is Rockstar's best PC version.

Yeah, and the thing is, it isn't even just good for a Rockstar PC game, it's just a good PC game. The amount of settings they're giving you control over, the seemingly good scalability across systems, the good keyboard and mouse controls, the seamless switching between control inputs, specific PC features like the Rockstar editor.

You can tell a lot of effort went into making the PC version.

AJLma

Starting to wonder if this game is CPU limited. Nothing I do will get it to stay consistently over 90, even dropping everything to Low and going to 1080p. Then my CPU is constantly at 70-93% when others keep it around 30-50.

Jebral

How nice!

I was looking for the custom music folder, and I found it it my documents... Along with a folder that keeps logs of your benchmarks! Very cool. I was wondering why it didn't give benchmark results in game.

Also, I was experiencing some pretty wacky drops on my 970. Turned off those 3 options under advanced graphics and now I barely ever drop below 50. And here I thought it was the PCSS.

30IR

Banned
GTA V @ 5K w/ 4x GTX TITAN X maxed out every setting (No MSAA but 8x Reflection MSAA):

rOsb.png

Dat scaling! :)

Streamed the launch @ 4pm PST in 5K and had about 50 people watching - was absolutely exhilarating!

Game crashes after around 30 minutes or so. Exception Code: c0000005. APPCRASH. GTA 5.

Real annoying. Basically running at the default high/very high settings.

Yeah, I have a great CPU but my old GPU is absolutely limiting my rig. This 2GB 7850 doesn't do an i7 justice, I can't even run the textures on High, they exceed my VRAM by 100MB...
MSAA destroys performance, and although I have to set some settings on Normal, I can get 60fps @ 1080p most of the time with others on High or Very High.

Seriously, AMD, hurry up with your new GPUs, what the hell...

This port is blowing my mind with how smooth it is. The delays were certainly worth it. Haven't had a single crash or any issue at all.

Intel Pentium G3258 @ 3.2Ghz
AMD Radeon R9 270
8GB DDR3 RAM

I've been playing it with the mostly default settings (I changed the resolution to my monitor's native 1680x1050; FXAA only, Vsync on, soft shadows off, Normal Textures), and it's quite playable, with some periodic framedrops while driving.

Top Bottom