• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA V PC Performance Thread

JambiBum

Does anyone know of a fix for this? That's an old video but it shows my issue pretty clearly. I don't have the huge stutter that the video has, but I have the pop in/missing assets thing no matter what I try. I have a 970 with an older cpu and manage to get a constant 55 fps with everything on high. Is it possibly a HDD speed issue? I'm not exactly sure what the speed of my drive is. It happens a lot more in online play than it does in single player but it's still super annoying.

garath

So this is the first game I've played that requires more than 8gigs of system memory :( I had a lot of crashing last night and determined it was because the system was requiring more than my 8gigs. I had to re-enable my page file to get the game to stop crashing. I think it's time to invest in 16gigs of system memory.

Unfortunately in the process of figuring it out, I used the geforce experience to set my settings and it went WAY overboard. I now get laggy menus and some light stuttering in game. I need to disable that and go back to my original high settings. I might have been bumping up against the 970's 3.5gig threshold too.

Need to tweak more but my early experience was a bit of a struggle. :)

i5 2500k @4.2
8gigs RAM
win 8.1

Redmoon

Guys, I've been reading that GTA is doubling the RAM available in SLI setups. Is that true? 4 GB cards, and it ends up with 8 GB.

I don't know if its actually using double, but I noticed that too. I have 24GB VRAM according to this game lol.

I usually pull 8GB or so, so I think its just a bug(about the doubling VRAM).

2700k and Superclocked 780 is handling this at 2560x1600 and pretty much max without much issue; average in the 50s.

But Online I turn down to 1920x1200 to maintain that.

Cross posting from the OT, but 1st person mode with kb/m is as amazing as I expected. It was such garbage with 30fps and a controller.

edit: sorry about the double post

i'm struggling to get 1080p 60fps.

i5-4590, 8GB, R9 290 4GB

only way i can get it is turning textures and stuff down and turning aliasing off. and even there are HUGE frame dips. becomes unplayable in grassy areas. drops to about 25fps. lots of stuttering/graphic glitches.

I havent hit a super grassy section yet and I'm scared to at this point. Everyone keeps saying the fps takes a nosedive.

For now all I can offer is to keep MSAA off, use Soft or Softest shadows, and lower your distance scaling slider.

pestul

So this is the first game I've played that requires more than 8gigs of system memory :( I had a lot of crashing last night and determined it was because the system was requiring more than my 8gigs. I had to re-enable my page file to get the game to stop crashing. I think it's time to invest in 16gigs of system memory.

Unfortunately in the process of figuring it out, I used the geforce experience to set my settings and it went WAY overboard. I now get laggy menus and some light stuttering in game. I need to disable that and go back to my original high settings. I might have been bumping up against the 970's 3.5gig threshold too.

i5 2500k @4.2
8gigs RAM
win 8.1
I'm actually surprised you didn't run into problems sooner with 8GB and a disabled page file. Just enable it and play the game.. the game resources will use the bulk of the physical ram and Windows will efficiently allocate other tasks to the page. You shouldn't see a dip.

I don't know what's going on with TXAA in this game but it seems to make aliasing worse. I could see more jaggies on large obvious street furniture like telegraph poles. Here's some screens:

And a direct comparison

Look at the telegraph poles, overhead wires and shadows on the opposite side of the street. Here again with MSAAx4, less obvious but still worse looking once TXAA is on:

And the direct comparison

While I was at it, I took some screens of the shadow softness options, these go PCSS/Softest/Softer/Soft:

These screens are from the game being played at 1080p on a 980/3770k. Settings used here:

I was using MSAAx4 but I found that as you pan the camera round past grassy areas, there was noticeable chug. Dropping to 2x got rid of that.

txaa gives pretty much the same end result as fxaa in this title :/. msaa w/ txaa on and fxaa off looks nearly identical to msaa w/ txaa off and fxaa on.

i5 2500k @4.2
8gigs RAM
win 8.1

Is it really using over 8GB system RAM? I didn't notice it last night, I have the same setup as you.

Might be time to throw another stick in.

Lulubop

Maxed out the basic graphic options, except MSAA with is at x4.
All the Advance stuff is off, even if I wanted to turn it on I couldn't because of Vram limitations.

Get a near consistent 60 with some drops into the 50s.

780ti
3570k Stock
@1080p.

Pronewbie

Banned
Posts like these are perplexing. I could never compromise native resolution for FPS.

I guess you prefer jaggies, pop-ins and plainer-looking worlds. I don't.

Being able to run 2x MSAA somewhat compensates for the lower resolution. Also, the huge frame-rate variance in this game (30+ - 60 FPS) is too jarring for me to try and stick with 1440p.

Can someone just tell me what i should be using b/t msaa, fxaa, and txaa? please

What uses the least while looking good?

Use FXAA. Unless you have a large performance overhead, like you are getting significantly higher than 60fps and can spare the performance hit, then just use FXAA. Enabling MSAA and TXAA give a fairly large performance hit in this game.

etta

my hard graphic balls
I'm actually surprised you didn't run into problems sooner with 8GB and a disabled page file. Just enable it and play the game.. the game resources will use the bulk of the physical ram and Windows will efficiently allocate other tasks to the page. You shouldn't see a dip.

Wait, GTA V plus rest of Windows is using 8GB RAM for you guys? Do you have a ton of other programs running? My system RAM usage while playing it is about 5GB.

Use FXAA. Unless you have a large performance overhead, like you are getting significantly higher than 60fps and can spare the performance hit, then just use FXAA. Enabling MSAA and TXAA give a fairly large performance hit in this game.

I have 4790k @4.5
Sli 970s
@1440p

but last night it seemed like i couldnt get a consistent 60fps

noomi

Ok guys, my last for for a little while. Leaving the OP as is for now, will check back later and try to post some more updates.

Could you please post a quick tutorial? Not really up to speed with the current injectors. THANKS!

I wasn't sure if it was working yet, but I have added a link in the OP under the tips and tricks section.

Don't use TXAA. MSAA will use a lot but look good. FXAA uses little but looks bad. No middle-way unless you are using an injector.

I actually really like TXAA. Sadly, it does have a pretty big impact on performance but it really looks clean to me, and yes it does blur the picture a little bit. Personal preference.

etta

my hard graphic balls

Being able to run 2x MSAA somewhat compensates for the lower resolution.

The genral consensus among PC gamers is to always lower AA settings and then graphical settings before lowering from native resolution.

So I'm running a GTX 970, i7-4770k and 8GB RAM running at 1920x1200 and cannot seem to keep a solid 60fps at times. It's locked at 59fps most of the time then drops around random areas and when I drive (especially when I crash into something). At times, it will even lock into 30fps for about 5-10 seconds.

Am I missing something? What settings should I change around to get a solid 60(59?)fps?

i'm struggling to get 1080p 60fps.

i5-4590, 8GB, R9 290 4GB

only way i can get it is turning textures and stuff down and turning aliasing off. and even there are HUGE frame dips. becomes unplayable in grassy areas. drops to about 25fps. lots of stuttering/graphic glitches.

Just picked up the game as well as an SSD for it, this worries me

garath

No other game has pushed the system memory over the 8gig threshold since I put my SSD in late last year. I had actually forgotten that I disabled the page file. I have no problems using it but it's a little shocking to me that GTAV is requesting so much.

Is it really using over 8GB system RAM? I didn't notice it last night, I have the same setup as you.

Might be time to throw another stick in.

I only noticed because I was hard crashing about 5-10 min into the game. Out of 5 crashes, twice windows told me I was running out of system memory. That's what made me really watch it. The game itself wasn't requesting that much but windows was committing more than the 8gigs. After about 15 min of play time it was around 8.7gigs committed with only GTAV and Windows.

Wait, GTA V plus rest of Windows is using 8GB RAM for you guys? Do you have a ton of other programs running? My system RAM usage while playing it is about 5GB.

Actual RAM usage or RAM committed? Windows commits a lot more RAM than it actually uses. My usage wasn't over the 8gigs but committed was over the 8 :( People with a page file would probably never see it unless they were actively looking for it. I would have blissfully been unaware and happily playing if I had my page file lol.

bbd23

So I'm running a GTX 970, i7-4770k and 8GB RAM running at 1920x1200 and cannot seem to keep a solid 60fps at times. It's locked at 59fps most of the time then drops around random areas and when I drive (especially when I crash into something). At times, it will even lock into 30fps for about 5-10 seconds.

Am I missing something? What settings should I change around to get a solid 60(59?)fps?

Advanced settings-distance scaling.

ItsTheNew

I believe any game made before 1997 is "essentially cave man art."
I7 3770k
R9 290
16gb ram
Win 8.1
AMD 15.4 drivers
Running at 1080p
Game runs really well with games optimized settings, cranked a couple things up since I thought it was underestimating my system and it's running at 60 fps without any issues

Fxaa, very high grass (ultra is a killer yo!), no reflective AA and you should be right as rain.

Shari

Actual RAM usage or RAM committed? Windows commits a lot more RAM than it actually uses. My usage wasn't over the 8gigs but committed was over the 8 :( People with a page file would probably never see it unless they were actively looking for it. I would have blissfully been unaware and happily playing if I had my page file lol.

How much pagefile should we assign?

I got 8gb and didnt get a crash or alert during my 2 playtime hours yesterday night.

GavinUK86

Being able to run 2x MSAA somewhat compensates for the lower resolution. Also, the huge frame-rate variance in this game (30+ - 60 FPS) is too jarring for me to try and stick with 1440p.

if you run a lower resolution that your native then you'll get more jaggies than if you can it natively with no aa.

Pronewbie

Banned
The genral consensus among PC gamers is to always lower AA settings and then graphical settings before lowering from native resolution.

To get 50+ FPS 1440p, I get jaggies, pop-ins, average shadows and particle effects. I'd rather stick with 1080p as it gets me a cleaner-looking world. Yes, it sucks that it no longer looks as sharp, but I'd rather compromise things this way. I hate it that the world looks sharper but plainer, with jaggies and pop-ins all over the place. What's the point of that?

I've been a PC gamer for 15+ years now. I don't need to follow what the general population think.

Dries

I'm running it at 1440p with a similar setup, with every single setting turned up, except grass, and MSAA at 2x and getting probably an average of about 55fps downtown. It runs like a dream on a 980.

Your specs are almost mine.

I wonder how the game would look if you used DSR to render at 1620p and apply FXAA instead of rendering at 1440p with MSAA. Assuming you have a native 1440p monitor of course. What do you prefer?

Dave_6

random, but worth sharing: performance has really increased after moving the game to my SSD

tends to be the norm with some minor stuff and loading times but for whatever reason it really seems to make a clear difference in framerate here. pretty sure it's not just placebo

I wonder if that's my problem. My PC consists of a 3570K@4.4, a G1 970 and 8GBs of RAM but it's always stuttering and hitching, even on a 144hz monitor. Feels like the game is constantly loading and my framerate is usually over a 100 most of the time. With the high refresh rate, it's usually still smooth even with wild framerate fluctuations but not with this game. At all.

Davenday

runs great on my setup

i7 4770k OCed to 4.4ghz
32gb
titan x
running in SSD

Best AA quality wise IMO is the FXAA on and MSAA 2x combo. Looks pretty sharp on 1440p. See if it looks good on 1080p.

bbd23

what the hell is going on now...in game everything is fine, when i enter the menu frames start going all over the place,its slow as hell and i can hear my graphics card going crazy wtf.

Any downsampling impressions from 970 SLI'ers?

I figure by keeping a few of the setting below max to prevent from hitting the 3.5GB Vram ceiling, 60fps @ 4K might be achievable... or am I dreaming?

Top Bottom