• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA V PC Performance Thread

I'm so salty. I decided to redownload the game and go to bed and see if it fixed my crashing on game startup issues. Nope. Still won't run. I think I'm probably going to just ask for a refund at this point. No use in wasting my time if the game doesn't work.

Mohonky

I have to say even though the MSAA isnt usable and textures are at medium on my 670, its nice to play the game with a rock solid 60fps. In the past my experience with GTA games was on consoles and they always struggled to even hold 30; but GTA V (never played the console versions, waited for PC) is absolutely silky smooth.

Never thought I would see the day the game ran at 60fps without a hitch. Granted i haven't got everything maxed so there are some jaggies, everything about the game runs and feels smooth. The vehicles are actually a real joy to drive and feel nicely weighted. Shooting (using 360 pad) feels really nice compared to past games and the game in general seems hugely polished in many respects.

Some shitty textures here and there, a little bit of pop in and AA would work wonders but otherwise this is a really well done game. Given a new cideo card later in the year To get some more AA and draw distance and this would be amazing.

The only other game I can think of that routinely holds 60+ Fps was Alien Isolation, another beautiful looking game thats easy on the hardware. i've seen plenty of games that look rougher that just seem to have inexplicable stutter and slowdown that is distracting and seemingly comes from nowhere. They definitely spent time optimising this one.

killercow

I have to say even though the MSAA isnt usable and textures are at medium on my 670, its nice to play the game with a rock solid 60fps. In the past my experience with GTA games was on consoles and they always struggled to even hold 30; but GTA V (never played the console versions, waited for PC) is absolutely silky smooth.

Never thought I would see the day the game ran at 60fps without a hitch. Granted i haven't got everything maxed so there are some jaggies, everything about the game runs and feels smooth. The vehicles are actually a real joy to drive and feel nicely weighted. Shooting (using 360 pad) feels really nice compared to past games and the game in general seems hugely polished in many respects.

Some shitty textures here and there, a little bit of pop in and AA would work wonders but otherwise this is a really well done game. Given a new cideo card later in the year To get some more AA and draw distance and this would be amazing.

The only other game I can think of that routinely holds 60+ Fps was Alien Isolation, another beautiful looking game thats easy on the hardware. i've seen plenty of games that look rougher that just seem to have inexplicable stutter and slowdown that is distracting and seemingly comes from nowhere. They definitely spent time optimising this one.

Really glad you are having such a great experience with a 670. I upgraded from a 670 to a 970 in March, but its still nice to see the 670 kicking butt. I reckon you are getting a much better experience than the current get consoles especially with the 60fps.

Using a controller or mouse/kb?

Pronewbie

Banned
OK wait, was it 30 fps even on the PS4? That probably explains why I can't get a constant 60fps 1440p on my gtx 780.. It looks brilliant that way though lol. Guess I'll have to go with blurry 1080p =(

Mohonky

Really glad you are having such a great experience with a 670. I upgraded from a 670 to a 970 in March, but its still nice to see the 670 kicking butt. I reckon you are getting a much better experience than the current get consoles especially with the 60fps.

Using a controller or mouse/kb?

Controller. I use a controller for everything except strategy games.

I just find it more comfortable + I often lay in bed and play pc games through my home theatre.

spuckthew

Normal textures often look really bad. Worse than I remember of the 360 version. I feel like there should be another option between that and high that doesn't require 700mb more.

This is my gripe, but at least I get more than 60fps like all the time. When I get home from work I'm gonna shove them on high and see how far I get without my GPU going "Nope!" and crashing on me.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
For some reason after the
boat rescue
mission when you drop off Michael, there is a brief cutscene and I was getting like 5 FPS. Weird as I'm usually around 55-60.

Longshot

Running the game on an old i5-750 @ 2.67Ghz, 8GB memory, and an ATi HD 5850.

I can play at 1080p with high textures and default settings at around 60fps, with a few drops here and there. I won't be going any higher than this.

Overall I'm impressed, runs better than IV did and I can't wait for the mods.

Seanspeed

Banned
OK wait, was it 30 fps even on the PS4? That probably explains why I can't get a constant 60fps 1440p on my gtx 780.. It looks brilliant that way though lol. Guess I'll have to go with blurry 1080p =(
Yea, was only 30fps on consoles. It's a next gen game still.

Is anyone else getting mega pop-in seemingly regardless of settings? Similar to the webm being posted right before release. Everything is great other than that.

Oh well, back to tweaking.

This opinion post is completely unhelpful but I want to join in on the fun.

GTAV isn't running too great on my machine right now. The frame rate is all over the place and it looks kinda weird. Like there is tearing but it isn't the usual V-sync off tearing. Guess it could be microstuttering but if it is, its different than Watchdogs.

I went into settings and the only thing I changed so far was taking it from window to full screen but that didn't change its performance any. It said I was using around 2.3 gigs of video memory. I'm running the game at 1080p

My pc specs.
CPU: i7 3770,
Ram: 12 gigs ddr 3 1600 MHz,
Video card: AMD 7950 3 gigs of ram (I'm using the last official release, I'll try the beta drivers that just came out tonight.)
Windows 8.1.

I'm a little disappointed. With the talk of 60 fps at 4k, I had somewhat high expectations to run at ~60 fps at 1080p. I might be hitting 60 fps but its down sub 30 most of the time. During the initial firefight, I think it was in the sub 20s a few times. Once again, I've not played with the settings (besides trying fullscreen) nor tried the beta drivers. The could make a world of difference.

On the plus side, no crashes.

I'm having the same issue as you. Very frustrating.
Trying to find the cause and was wondering if you have your Documents folder on a different drive (or network drive)?

No everything for this game is on my C: drive SSD

I've done everything from completely redownloading the game to wiping my video card drivers completely and reinstalling. Nothing.

Man, advanced distance scaling looks so good. I really hate the pop-in in this game and it gets rid of most of it. But it is the choice between 30fps and 60fps. But 30fps also allows me maxing out the rest of the settings and 4xMSAA, so I am considering it.

Oh, ok! Is there a big difference between ultra grass and very high?

Yes, ultra looks much better, so at least the power is being used.

I've heard a few people mention this as well, does dropping the setting to high help reduce the fps drops? I'll add it to the tips & tricks in the OP.

Very high runs much much better. Still above the PS4 version, but it pops in right in front of you.

Herne

Anyone else get a corrupt street name image on the bottom right when they enable MSAA?

Yeah, I do. Very annoying. What card do you have? I have a 7970 here. I haven't tried the beta driver yet, but apparently there's another driver coming out today?

jabuseika

i5 4690k
Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming

All max out, no AA, 1080p.

Hovers around 70fps, never drops below 60.

VRAM around 3300MB.

I'm impressed by Rockstar this time, game is beautiful.

Not interested in the PC version but have a question: will this game be the official PC CPU & GPU benchmark now? Like Crysis back in the day?

I would say no. Crysis simply crushed machines in it's day. GTAV doesn't have that benefit as the hardware we have today is more than enough to power the game at 60 fps. The issues people are having is trying to push 60 fps or more on 144Mhz monitors on SLI rigs while running ultra settings.

So no, but it's close in my mind.

Played for about five hours today and only had one crash which I could not reproduce. Performance wise it's been above 50fps the entire time and it dipped to 45 when I go up a big hill and looked over the city. Very pleased with the performance!

The sunsets are gawjus.

gtanice_by_realghostvids-d8poboz.jpg

Unain

No everything for this game is on my C: drive SSD

I've done everything from completely redownloading the game to wiping my video card drivers completely and reinstalling. Nothing.

Such a stupid issue. Its just the Social Club launcher that is giving problems. Just let us bypass that crap so we can at least play the game.

Dries

resolution/perf mostly scale pretty linearly when you dont run out of vram. 20 or 50% dsr isnt going to do much for IQ tbh. you will get some increased sharpness but not much in the way of aliasing reduction.

Weird though, cause I thought downsampling was the ultimate AA solution. The most costly, yes. But at the same time the best method of AA available.

On my 1080p monitor, I tried 1440p with FXAA vs 1183p(slight downsample) and MSAAx2 and I much preferred it with MSAA. I lose out on the extra sharpness of 1440p, but the game suffers from aliasing pretty badly and it seemed like it took a fair amount of downsampling to get the improvement I wanted.

But of course your baseline resolution is higher, so maybe it will be a worthy trade-off.

Hmm interesting. Have you tried 1440p and TXAA instead of FXAA? Or MSAA x2 at 1440p

Speaking of TXAA: is that a replacement for MSAA? Or is it more like a FXAA alternative?

Denton

I'm so salty. I decided to redownload the game and go to bed and see if it fixed my crashing on game startup issues. Nope. Still won't run. I think I'm probably going to just ask for a refund at this point. No use in wasting my time if the game doesn't work.
Just to be sure, you are not trying to run nonsteam version through steam, right?

The game crashes on startup when I tried that.
Starting from start menu shortcut game works perfectly.

Such a stupid issue. Its just the Social Club launcher that is giving problems. Just let us bypass that crap so we can at least play the game.

I'm just going to contact Rockstar and demand a refund. There's just nothing that makes me want to enjoy this game now. They've have more than enough time to make sure the game would work when it launches. I shouldn't have to try a million fixes for a game when I've never had issues like this before.

I mean it's not like I don't know what I'm doing. I work in the tech industry.

Just to be sure, you are not trying to run nonsteam version through steam, right?

The game crashes on startup when I tried that.
Starting from start menu shortcut game works perfectly.

Nah I have the Rockstar Club version. No Steam.

Weird though, cause I thought downsampling was the ultimate AA solution. The most costly, yes. But at the same time the best method of AA available.

Hmm interesting. Have you tried 1440p and TXAA instead of FXAA? Or MSAA x2 at 1440p

Speaking of TXAA: is that a replacement for MSAA? Or is it more like a FXAA alternative?

its the ultimate solution with high enough levels and infinite performance.

txaa is a far better implementation of msaa when it works, but it doesnt work properly in this title.

Tovarisc

If I were to run GTAV with following rig what kind performance I should expect?

i5 750 @ 3,8 GHz
8GB RAM
GTX760 2GB

Am I wrong to guess medium to high settings @ 1080p with some CPU bounding?

rashbeep

Banned

Posts like these are perplexing. I could never compromise native resolution for FPS.

Any idea on how it would run on a Radeon 7970M? The rest of the hardware is enough, but I got my doubts on the GPU there. The talks on how it performs well are tempting me so.

Top Bottom