• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA V PC Performance Thread

Dries

So MSAA seems to be a performance killer, huh? Could be expected I guess. I was wondering something. In comparison to increasing MSAA, what about DSR'ing a game one or two "step(s)" higher than native res and applying FXAA. How would these methods compare to each other performance and IQ wise?

Cause I'm thinking of running 2880 x 1620 (hopefully higher of course) and DSR'ing that to my native 2560 x 1440p. I would use FXAA and no MSAA. Also, I would like to max out all other graphical effects and sliders (but probably turn off big performance eaters like PCSS)

Could I get a stable 45 fps with:

OC'ed i5 2500K @ 4.4Ghz
8GB RAM
SSD
OC'ed single 980 4GB

My new 1440p G-sync monitor won't be delivered till monday, so can't benchmark till then. Longest wait ever!

Sarcasm

I turned MSAA off completely left everything else and I now get 68 FPS.

That is from 51.

Also where is the draw distance option?

LCGeek

formerly sane
Mine's an i5 3570k. The BIOS isn't showing any of the settings lots of overclocking tutorials say should be there. I'll try looking around a bit more.

Your motherboard maybe limited in the case of that processor. That damn well sucks considering its K version and is not getting to shine like it truly can. That would be a pain to rebuild a whole new machine just to get an oc on the cpu.

So MSAA seems to be a performance killer, huh? Could be expected I guess. I was wondering something. In comparison to increasing MSAA, what about DSR'ing a game one or two "step(s)" higher than native res and applying FXAA. How would these methods compare to each other performance and IQ wise?

Cause I'm thinking of running 2880 x 1620 (hopefully higher of course) and DSR'ing that to my native 2560 x 1440p. I would use FXAA and no MSAA. Also, I would like to max out all other graphical effects and sliders (but probably turn off big performance eaters like PCSS)

Could I get a stable 45 fps with:

OC'ed i5 2500K @ 4.4Ghz
8GB RAM
SSD
OC'ed single 980 4GB

My new 1440p G-sync monitor won't be delivered till monday, so can't benchmark till then. Longest wait ever!

resolution/perf mostly scale pretty linearly when you dont run out of vram. 20 or 50% dsr isnt going to do much for IQ tbh. you will get some increased sharpness but not much in the way of aliasing reduction.

Kvik

Mine's an i5 3570k. The BIOS isn't showing any of the settings lots of overclocking tutorials say should be there. I'll try looking around a bit more.

If you have an ASUS board, turn on Expert mode (or Manual mode in some older models), anyway we in I need a PC thread can help you further there.

An SSD is worth it for any PC.

As for those specific games, it will reduce load times, and maybe reduce pop-in in heavy steaming situations (e.g flying over the city in GTA V)[/QUOTE

Yeahh I'm gonna pick one up later as well as the retail version of the game

How long is the install from a DVD?

Jako

Game keeps crashing on startup for me. Just saying that Grand Theft Auto V has stopped working. I tried numerous fixes but nothing helped. Going to download the massive 60GB again today and hope that works. I can't believe there is no option to verify or repair the install in the RSC.

Mine is crashing while loading story mode or the benchmark. (Grand Theft Auto V Has Stopped Working)

I'm downloading it again, I'll let you know if it works as soon as I'm finished

I was on the fence with this one. Made some decent progress with the PS4 version and was unsure of how well my rig could run it, but pulled the trigger anyway in a moment of weakness. But blow me away like a fleet of Venezuelan hooker frogs, damn! this really is a hell of a lovely port. I'm on a i5 3570k with 2 SLI 670's and, so far, it's running like a dream. A beautiful, technicolour 60fps dream. For the most part I've left the textures at normal. There's a huge jump in GPU memory going from normal textures to high, which leaves me little left to play with to improve other graphical options. I'm guessing from a brief comparison that the PS4 version uses the normal textures.

So, I'm happy. I get something comparable to the PS4 version, with a number of extra graphical flourishes and those stable 60fps (so far) on my 2-3 year old rig. Good job Rockstar.

The one downside is that I'm really going to miss the little touches of functionality that the PS4 version had with the Dualshock 4 features.

killercow

I was on the fence with this one. Made some decent progress with the PS4 version and was unsure of how well my rig could run it, but pulled the trigger anyway in a moment of weakness. But blow me away like a fleet of Venezuelan hooker frogs, damn! this really is a hell of a lovely port. I'm on a i5 3570k with 2 SLI 670's and, so far, it's running like a dream. A beautiful, technicolour 60fps dream. For the most part I've left the textures at normal. There's a huge jump in GPU memory going from normal textures to high, which leaves me little left to play with to improve other graphical options. I'm guessing from a brief comparison that the PS4 version uses the normal textures.

So, I'm happy. I get something comparable to the PS4 version, with a number of extra graphical flourishes and those stable 60fps (so far) on my 2-3 year old rig. Good job Rockstar.

The one downside is that I'm really going to miss the little touches of functionality that the PS4 version had with the Dualshock 4 features.

At what resolution are you running the game?

Grassy

I've tweaked my settings and have found a sweet spot even though I'm 1GB over my video card limit, but it's not affecting performance at all.
I guess because I'm only running at 1080p with sli I have more headroom than the game calculates? I get no stuttering in gameplay or cutscenes, only get an occasional dip to ~58 fps in heavy traffic when driving.

i7 2600K @ stock
Sli 2GB 670's w/350.12 drivers
8 GB ram

Here's my settings:

gta52015-04-1420-18-2rfuth.png

gta52015-04-1420-18-34yucm.png

gta52015-04-1420-18-5kgujq.png

gta52015-04-1420-33-24xuyc.png

On the downside, I can't run at 1440p with everything maxed without fps dips into the mid-40's, but on the other hand I can run at 1080p with these settings and 60fps 99% locked. Game looks gorgeous either way.

jgf

Hi fellow gaf people, I've seen some reports on performance of 680 with 2gb ram. 2gb seems to be slightly too less ram to work completely smooth. I myself have a 680 with 4gb, has anyone tried GTA with a 680 4gb? Can I expect a better result in this case or doesn't it really matter as the card itself is a bit outdated? I'm aiming for 60fps at 1080p. Thanks.

gossi

Hi fellow gaf people, I've seen some reports on performance of 680 with 2gb ram. 2gb seems to be slightly too less ram to work completely smooth. I myself have a 680 with 4gb, has anyone tried GTA with a 680 4gb? Can I expect a better result in this case or doesn't it really matter as the card itself is a bit outdated? I'm aiming for 60fps at 1080p. Thanks.

I can get almost 60fps at 1080p on a GTX 660 (non-ti) with 2gb of RAM, with 'high' textures and FXAA enabled, and most other options at High or Very High. Various tweaks, such as turning down population density a bit to claw back VRAM. So you should be fine.

MDSLKTR

Gold Member
i5 3.4ghz and gtx 760. I had to put the textures on normal, everything else on high and some setting very high, fxaa+msaa, soft shadows, no tessellation and no advanced graphics = glorious 60fps and iq, blows my experience from the console version away, I once again had my jaw open playing gta 5 a year and a half later.
I will probably tone down some settings somewhere to put back textures in high because they're ugly but if I can't I can't, makes the next computer upgrade more unbearable.
Oh and this version fixes the sluggish controls thanks to the mouse, it's basically the game I love perfected beyond my expectations, great job R*

I'm guessing you shouldn't have a problem, considering I'm using 2 2GB 670's and getting rock solid framerate at 1080p with settings that exceed the PS4. 2 of those cards amount to a 4GB 680.

Wounded

It'll definitely help that you won't hit your VRAM cap. With some settings turned down 60fps is achieveable.

wiggleb0t

Banned

Running sli770 4gb. Rebadged 680 with a bumb on core & memory. Extra vram is good! On a single card it runs well.
SLI stomps it.

killercow

I've tweaked my settings and have found a sweet spot even though I'm 1GB over my video card limit, but it's not affecting performance at all.
I guess because I'm only running at 1080p with sli I have more headroom than the game calculates? I get no stuttering in gameplay or cutscenes, only get an occasional dip to ~58 fps in heavy traffic when driving.

i7 2600K @ stock
Sli 2GB 670's w/350.12 drivers
8 GB ram

Here's my settings:

Isn't it weird that the game says 4gb of Vram when an SLI configuration doesn't multiply the Vram available?

So what is the consensus on what settings are fps killers? So far I've seen PCSS and MSAA really drag down FPS. "Softest" shadows actually looks fairly similar to PCSS so it doesn't seem worth the hit at this point.

Anything else?

Wounded

So what is the consensus on what settings are fps killers? So far I've seen PCSS and MSAA really drag down FPS. "Softest" shadows actually looks fairly similar to PCSS so it doesn't seem worth the hit at this point.

Anything else?

The advanced settings. Distance scaling or something I think it is. Really big hit.

I am having this weird issue that Franklin will randomly start going to walking speed when mashing x to sprint. Is this a bug or is my controller breaking?

Alright, I think I've found my sweet spot for settings already.

3570k@4.2Ghz
MSI GTX970(factory stock)
8GB DDR3
Windows 7
1080p monitor

First things, some settings I'd recommend for those who can afford it:

- FXAA is probably what most people will use without a higher end setup, but even at 1440p, the aliasing was just not very nice, with that gross dithering everywhere. MSAA makes a huge difference here. Even just MSAAx2(I've got MFAA turned on as well, which probably helps) mostly gets rid of the dithering and dramatically reduces aliasing. It costs a fair bit of performance and I had to turn down the resolution to 1183p, but that with MSAAx2 was highly preferable to 1440p w/FXAA. I might even check out 1080p with MSAAx4 next.

- High Resolution Shadows makes a big difference. It's the only Advanced Graphics setting I have turned on, but it totally gets rid of all the crappy shadows everywhere, especially the powerline shadows that look like dotted lines all over the place. Again, costs performance, but I think it makes a really worthwhile improvement.

I'm only using regular soft shadows, I've got no motion blur, shadow quality on high, no reflection MSAA, but everything else in the regular graphics options maxed.

This all gets me a really decent looking image at a pretty consistent 60fps, even in the city, which definitely does hit performance hard.

I'll take some comparison shots here soon.

Good luck with the MSAA and high res shadows out in the countryside when driving through high grass.
Personally I think Nvidia PCCS brings the highest improvements in shadowing quality.
Slowly drive back and forth in front of Franklin's garage and angle the camera a bit to see how the shadows completely break at low distance without this setting.

I need to try that MFAA!

Seanspeed

Banned
You can use Lumasharpen in SweetFX and negative LOD bias in Nvidia inspector to decrease the blurriness of TXAA.
Thanks. I gave up on TXAA though, after I ran across a big patch of grass. I know grass is a killer in this game, but the TXAA seemed to be causing extra trouble, cuz it turning it off brought a ton of performance back.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2t0BsiVu0jpSENYLTFnTmtjd2M/view?usp=sharing

are your results different than that? honestly enabling txaa here looks no different than a standard fxaa implementation. the image gets a bit softer but there is no reduction in temporal aliasing for me
The best comparison I was doing was with moving foliage. Like with the grass I mentioned above. There's definitely less shimmering as it sways than with it off.

On my 1080p monitor, I tried 1440p with FXAA vs 1183p(slight downsample) and MSAAx2 and I much preferred it with MSAA. I lose out on the extra sharpness of 1440p, but the game suffers from aliasing pretty badly and it seemed like it took a fair amount of downsampling to get the improvement I wanted.

But of course your baseline resolution is higher, so maybe it will be a worthy trade-off.

vakarian32

i5-2500k 4.2ghz
680 2GB
8GB RAM

Got it running at a locked 60fps with no dips (yet) with the following settings:

1920x1080
Vsync On
FXAA On
MSAA Off

Population Density - Max
Population Variety - 50%
Distance Scaling - Max

Texture Quality - High
Shader Quality - Very High
Shadow Quality - High
Reflection Quality - Very High
Reflection MSAA - Off

Water Quality - Very High
Particles Quality - Very High
Grass - Very High
Soft Shadows - Softer
Post FX - Very High
AF - 16x
Ambient Occlusion - Normal
Tessellation - Normal

Long Shadows - On
High Resolution Shadows - On
Extended Distance Scaling - 50%
Extended Shadows Distance - Off

There's probably a few settings I could swap around or increase but I'm happy with it for now, really surprised me how well my old 680 2GB can still run it.

Seanspeed

Banned
Personally I think Nvidia PCCS brings the highest improvements in shadowing quality.
Slowly drive back and forth in front of Franklin's garage and angle the camera a bit to see how the shadows completely break at low distance without this setting.
Yea, it looks good at times, but it also means that many close up shadows, like your personal shadow on the sidewalk or a lamppost or something, show up how pixel crawly they are. The softer/softest settings aren't quite as high quality a soft shadow, but they are stronger and hide the pixel crawling better.

Considering PCSS likely costs more, I just keep it at softest.

Top Bottom