• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA V PC Performance Thread

Salsa

think I found my settings sweet spot where the game looks good and runs at constant 60 with drops to low 50s max when driving fast

but its 5am ;_;

forms

Dammit, I am pretty anxious when it comes to what performance I can expect when I get home. Running a 970 with an older 2.67 Ghz CPU OC'd to 3.7-3.9. I am expecting this game to make my machine comt to a crawl. :D

Clopezi

I wonder what AMD's excuse will be, the Evil Nvidia™ actively destroying performance for AMD cards ? Surely this must be it, and not the well known fact that AMD drivers suck compared to Nvidia's.

For the water yeah, not sure what other assets have undergone the tessellation treatment on PC.

That is a CPU benchmark, no GPU ...xD

Kezen

Banned
That is a CPU benchmark, no GPU ...xD

Drivers. But you are right this was not the greatest example of show if off.
How about this one ?

gtav_vhigh_1920.png

And yes, those are the 15.4 beta drivers "optimized" for GTA 5 according to AMD.
What a joke.

So yeah, I'm anticipating AMD to shift the blame to Nvidia's so called "anti consumer" practices.

Lower population variety. It eats VRAM. I set it at 50 percent and with Very High textures, and the rest almost maxed out, I am doing 2027/2047 MB VRAM on my 680.

Thanks for the advice. Just like you said, I turned the Variety to 40%, and I had more than enough VRAM for the High textures. Best of all, the game looks way better without any noticeable performance hit.

Seanspeed

Banned
http://gamegpu.ru/images/remote/http--www.gamegpu.ru-images-stories-Test_GPU-Action-Grand_Theft_Auto_V_-test-2-GTA5_intel.jpg

Impressive.

Great scaling and CPU performance, imagine what they could accomplish with DX12.
They clearly put some proper work into this.

I know they got bashed to hell for the delays, but it's pretty clear that it wasn't without reason. They *really* did want to do it right. God bless them for that, cuz it's been worth the wait.

Anyways, been messing around with TXAA and I think I'm gonna stick with it. The game just has so much aliasing that it really benefits. It does hurt screenshots a bit, which sucks for me, but it really cleans the game up while playing. So I'm at TXAAx4 with this at 1080p/60fps(mostly solid apart from rare drops to mid 50's). Pretty happy with that.

kinggroin

Banned
The Phenom II @ 4ghz (or AMD CPUs in general) THAT pathetic? Its not even worth running the game at all on my rig it seems.

You guys think Rock star can optimize further for that line? There's literally no other game I have (including Ubisoft shit) that's performing this poorly in benchmarks with an overclocked Phenom II.

Randam

AMD's driver CPU efficiency in multithreaded DX11 is significantly worse than NV's (by over a factor of 2). This is generally more significant in open world games with the potential for long draw distance like this one.
oh okay. CPU.
what about GPUs?
Drivers. But you are right this was not the greatest example of show if off.
How about this one ?

http://pclab.pl/zdjecia/artykuly/chaostheory/2015/04/gtav/charts2/gtav_vhigh_1920.png

And yes, those are the 15.4 beta drivers "optimized" for GTA 5 according to AMD.
What a joke.

So yeah, I'm anticipating AMD to shift the blame to Nvidia's so called "anti consumer" practices.
you need a titan x/gtx 980 for 1080p 60fps?

so what do you get with the recommended gtx 660 from the op?

LilJoka

The Phenom II @ 4ghz (or AMD CPUs in general) THAT pathetic? Its not even worth running the game at all on my rig it seems.

You guys think Rock star can optimize further for that line? There's literally no other game I have (including Ubisoft shit) that's performing this poorly in benchmarks with an overclocked Phenom II.

Phenom would get beaten by G3548 today.

They clearly put some proper work into this.

I know they got bashed to hell for the delays, but it's pretty clear that it wasn't without reason. They *really* did want to do it right. God bless them for that, cuz it's been worth the wait.

Anyways, been messing around with TXAA and I think I'm gonna stick with it. The game just has so much aliasing that it really benefits. It does hurt screenshots a bit, which sucks for me, but it really cleans the game up while playing. So I'm at TXAAx4 with this at 1080p/60fps(mostly solid apart from rare drops to mid 50's). Pretty happy with that.

txaa actually does something for you? mind uploading a video comparing 4xmsaa w/ txaa on and off? on my end it doesnt do a thing to improve temporal aliasing beyond what msaa does.

kinggroin

Banned
Phenom would get beaten by G3548 today.

Looks like its time to say goodbye to this CPU/motherboard/ram setup once and for all then. Served me well; not had a single game that I've purchased run into performance issues - though to be fair, most games are GPU focused.

Ugh. Damn.

LilJoka

Looks like its time to say goodbye to this CPU/motherboard/ram setup once and for all then. Served me well; not had a single game that I've purchased run into performance issues - though to be fair, most games are GPU focused.

Ugh. Damn.

Hey it was a good cpu in its time, nothing lasts forever. I gave up on it since it had horrible on the fly transcoding compared to my i7 920 a few years back though. Get some advice in the pc building thread.

MayMay

Banned
Incredibly surprised with the performance, I only ran around in the city and played a bit of Online until now but my fps are amazing. 65-130 depending on where I'm at with everything Maxed except AA and Shadows (they're on High instead Very High). Glad its such a good port. Playing on a 780

viveks86

Running at 4k with adaptive vsync on (need to turn triple buffering off in the control panel because it doesn't work well with this game for some reason), FXAA, softest shadows (PCSS is an fps killer) and reflection MSAA off (made no difference at 4k). The rest are all at the highest available setting, including advanced graphics. I ran the benchmark and I see split second drops to a minimum of 47 during the hollywood sequence and similar occasional drops during the jet flyover. Memory requirement is 8338 MB! Average fps is well above 60.

During actual gameplay, I'm yet to see any perceptible drops below 60, other than the occasional hitch in the mid 50s.

Facism

Ugh. Damn.

haha i'm in the same boat mate. Phenom II up the arse for 6 years. served me well.

kinggroin

Banned
haha i'm in the same boat mate. Phenom II up the arse for 6 years. served me well.

Ha! 6 years over here too. May have been the greatest single computing purchase ever.

Hmm.

I'm strapped for cash at the moment (spending on a lot on entertainment and a party for a boxing event in May), so I'm going to brave it and see if adjusting CPU demanding settings can get me 1080p/30fps locked on my 670. I'll do a upgrade overall end of the year.

Wish me luck.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
um. i have no idea what is up with this game.

my specs:

i5-4590, 8GB, 290 4GB.

running at 1080p, full screen, with everything down low or off.

the game is severely lagging and frame rate is like 15-20fps. totally unplayable. if i can't sort this out i will be getting a refund.

Seanspeed

Banned
txaa actually does something for you? mind uploading a video comparing 4xmsaa w/ txaa on and off? on my end it doesnt do a thing to improve temporal aliasing beyond what msaa does.
Not gonna do a whole video comparison, but I'm pretty sure it's working correctly. It definitely has a softer look in motion and to my eyes, it seems there is an improvement in temporal aliasing.

Comparing settings has been difficult in general with this game, though. It seems like there's such a huge range of different situations where certain things can make a big difference one place, but not so much elsewhere, or maybe even look good one situation and look worse in another. Nvidia's PCSS for instance. It looks nice with certain shadows, but with others, the 'softer/softest' setting is preferable to hide a lot of the pixel crawl.

Speaking of aliasing, has anybody gotten SMAA injected yet?

Randam

um. i have no idea what is up with this game.

my specs:

i5-4590, 8GB, 290 4GB.

running at 1080p, full screen, with everything down low or off.

the game is severely lagging and frame rate is like 15-20fps. totally unplayable. if i can't sort this out i will be getting a refund.
beta drivers installed?
and there is coming a new driver version too, today!?

Alex

I think I'll just lock it to 30 and break the settings dial off, feeling lazy. I need a new GPU in the future but I don't play enough demanding games at the moment to come close to justifying it.

Mohonky

Running my 670.

Definitely getting 60fps at all High or Very High but I have to turn off MSAA or I go below 60fps and j have to use Medium on Textures or I go past my 2gb vram on high.

Games looks pretty good, little jaggy and some assets are definitely from the PS3 / 360 era. Not sure how big a difference high or very high textures would make but there is definitely some low res textures floating about on my Medium setting.

Overall probably need a new card to really see any massive benefit to the game but the game is certainly a flawless 60fps so it seems well scaled.

Seanspeed

Banned
Running my 670.

Definitely getting 60fps at all High or Very High but I have to turn off MSAA or I go below 60fps and j have to use Medium on Textures or I go past my 2gb vram on high.

Games looks pretty good, little jaggy and some assets are definitely from the PS3 / 360 era. Not sure how big a difference high or very high textures would make but there is definitely some low res textures floating about on my Medium setting.

Overall probably need a new card to really see any massive benefit to the game but the game is certainly a flawless 60fps so it seems well scaled.
There's still a fair amount of lower res textures even on Very High. And very few textures hold up well when viewed closely, so you're not exactly missing out on a whole lot by turning it down a bit.

noomi

Bunch of benchmarks from PCLAB:

looks to be another cpu killer

And their sidenotes:

- huge drops on dual core non HT cpus
- needs 3GB vram for very high settings (2gb cards have drops from time to time)

More CPU benchmark. i7 5960x takes the top spot despite of running at a measly 3.0ghz, which indicates some great multi-core scaling.

http--www.gamegpu.ru-images-stories-Test_GPU-Action-Grand_Theft_Auto_V_-test-2-GTA5_proz.jpg

Thanks for posting these guys, I'll add them to them OP

VladTepes

Banned
MSAA is cratering my performance. Anyone know of any better ways to eliminate jaggies to add to the FXAA in-game option? Maybe SweetFX or something?

Top Bottom