• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA V PC Performance Thread

nkarafo

For long shadows, to be honest, I couldn't really tell what the difference was in the benchmark due to how fast it changes time of day. To do that, I'd probably need to capture videos/screens of both and directly compare them. If I had to guess, long shadows get cut-off after they reach a certain size but this option prevents that from happening. I think this was one option that was killing my framerate, specifically when the sun was at a sharp angle that led to long shadows (ie. just before night and dawn).

For Extended Distance Scaling, I think this lets it render pedestrians and cars further away which, due to AI, requires more CPU power which led to a CPU-limited situation.
Thanks for the info. If that's the case i think these are good options to sacrifice to benefit others.

Putosaure

Hot damn, can't wait to try how bad it runs on my 560.

I'm really bad about hardware... can I just change a graphics card if it fits on the motherboard and in the case, and if it's sufficiently powered ?

ninanuam

Banned
I'm kind of a noob at pc games, I play mainly indie games on pc. This is the first game i really want to tweak, but honestly i dont know how.

So atm im running a 970 and i7 4790k at 4.0.

I've run the benchmarks but it didn't change any of my settings.

I'm getting a solid 60 at 1080 but its only using half my vram and doesn't have many effects on. ( all that shadow stuff, vsync) if i mess with the vram usage it gives me a warning.

i should mess with all that stuff but i dont know where to start. i was hoping that there would be some auto settings, which up till now i used for every game. I mean dont get mw wrong it looks great, better than xbone, with double plus frames, but it doesnt feel like im getting the most out of the card.

Anyone know where to start? anyone running something similar to my rig that can post a screen of their settings?

Corpekata

Banned
Hot damn, can't wait to try how bad it runs on my 560.

I'm really bad about hardware... can I just change a graphics card if it fits on the motherboard and in the case, and if it's sufficiently powered ?

You can but if you have like a really old and crappy CPU it'll bottleneck the card and not always be much of an improvement.

Bunch of benchmarks from PCLAB:

GPU:
gtav_vhigh_1920.png

gtav_vhigh_2560.png

CPU benchmarks

gtav_vhigh_cpu.png

looks to be another cpu killer

And their sidenotes:

- huge drops on dual core non HT cpus
- needs 3GB vram for very high settings (2gb cards have drops from time to time)

ultrazilla

Anyone playing this with a Nvidia 960?

I bought the EVGA superclocked 960 about a month back. Love it for 1080p
gaming. It has a 4k super sample resolution mode as well.

Running 64 bit windows 8.1, 8 gig ram q6600

zdenko1

Not entirely about performance but has anyone added GTA V as non-steam game to steam and it works for him? Every time I try to launch it I get GTA V launcher has stopped working.

Bit of a weird one this.

My i7-4860HQ & 870m (6GB) fared pretty well, though I can't seem to get a stable 60fps even on the lowest possible settings.

That said, I can have a mix of high / very high with x2 MSAA and have it average 35 / 40fps. To be honest, this is the preferable choice, I can live with a lower frame rate but it be fucking gorgeous.

Edit: Was playing at 1080p

nkarafo

I also have a windforce 960 but with a better CPU (i5 4670). I haven't played the game yet but i assume the card will have a similar performance with a GTX 770?

KePoW

Banned
Shadows are cast realistically relative to the position of the sun. With it turned off shadows stop getting longer when the sun is at a certain angle. The effect is subtle but really can make a big difference in some areas.

thanks for the detailed answer!

<edit> now that I know exactly what visual effect it is, I wonder what the performance impact is. I'll try to test that myself

I think someone on the previous page said it makes a noticeable drop in FPS

elelunicy

More CPU benchmark. i7 5960x takes the top spot despite of running at a measly 3.0ghz, which indicates some great multi-core scaling.

http--www.gamegpu.ru-images-stories-Test_GPU-Action-Grand_Theft_Auto_V_-test-2-GTA5_proz.jpg

Brockxz

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2cHyYwXBA4
Captured first 15 min of game with shadowplay. All maxed out except MSAA only 4x. Maaxed out even advanced graphics. Overall performance 30-45 fps with my system.
Will try to find compromise settings to get constant 60 fps without lowering too much quality.
It seems MSAA is one of the biggest performance drops. Lowering to 2x i get 10 more fps to average fps count but it introduces a lot more jaggies.
you can see even in video a little bit microstuttering because of GTX970 vram segmentation. Overall vram usage was 3.5-3.8GB

jon_dojah

Banned
Skimmed through the thread and didn't see this mentioned but the benchmark tool works fine IF YOU BEAT THE PROLOGUE and then be sure to have story mode loaded before loading the benchmark tool. The problem seems to be that story mode loads automatically from the start screen where you are probably going through the graphic options such that it ends up loading the benchmark with story mode running behind it (thus the interesting "failed mission" during the bench since the prologue is running).

Having now extensively used the benchmark tool to reach a constant, unwavering 1080p60 fps, here are my specs and settings.

Specs:
Intel Core i5-4690K @ 3.5 GHz (stock)
Radeon R9 280X 3 GB, 15.4 Beta drivers
8 GB DDR3-1600

Settings:
DirectX 11
Fullscreen
2048x1152
60 Hz

FXAA on
MSAA off
Vsync on
Pause Game On Focus Loss On

Population Density max
Population Variety max
Distance Scaling max

Texture Quality very high
Shader Quality very high
Shadow Quality high
Reflection Quality very high
Reflection MSAA off
Water Quality very high
Particles Quality very high
Grass Quality very high
Soft Shadows soft

Post FX very high
Motion Blur Strength min
In-Game Depth of Field Effects on
Anisotropic Filtering x16
Ambient Occlusion high
Tesselation very high

Long shadows off
High Resolution Shadows on
High Detail Streaming While Flying on
Extended Distance Scaling min
Extended Shadows Distance min

VRAM Predicted Usage 2389 MB
RAM Usage 5-5.5 GB

I have bolded what I found to absolutely crush framerate at times (as in 60 fps suddenly dropping to ~30), most of which are related to shadows. The extended distance scaling also has a huge impact on framerate. I think that these settings were CPU-limited since Afterburner would often, at those fluctuating times, have my GPU usage at only 60-70% but CPU at 90%+.

With the above settings, the game is running locked at 60 fps while looking amazing.

WOW this is exactly what I needed. Been messing with settings all night and was having a hard to time getting a solid 60 (usually fluctuated between 54-60). With these settings I'm having a hard time getting it to dip even while driving. Those shadow settings really make the biggest difference. I did leave Reflection 8x on also.

3770k @ 4.3GHz
SLI 670 4GB x2

gossi

I have it on a GTX 660 with AMD 6300 CPU.

And, surprisingly, it works quite well. Not quite 60fps, but close. Textures at very high. Population density dropped.

GTA V @ 5K w/ 4x GTX TITAN X maxed out every setting (No MSAA but 8x Reflection MSAA):

rOsb.png

Dat scaling! :)

Streamed the launch @ 4pm PST in 5K and had about 50 people watching - was absolutely exhilarating!
Lol, you don't get solid 60fps with $4k worth of GPUs? How is that even possible?

Yeah, so the prologue was running real smooth for me, 60fps smooth. Then I get control of Franklyn and start driving around, and the popup makes driving basically unplayable. EVERYTHING takes too long to load, primarily the roads, so I have almost no idea where to drive. Even running the benchmark the same popup issues, well, "popup", so to speak. What if anything, can I do to mitigate this? I'm afraid that I'm gonna have to shelf this game until this is resolved, as it's too big of an issue to ignore.

Running an i5 3450, Radeon 7850 2GB, 8GB RAM, I believe.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Bunch of benchmarks from PCLAB:
Well, looks like the game is not even optimized for AMD hardware (which is not surprising at all), and if I can't run the game with high enough settings in 1080p 60, I guess I won't be buying and playing this game. Thanks a lot Rockstar.

laxu

Yeah, so the prologue was running real smooth for me, 60fps smooth. Then I get control of Franklyn and start driving around, and the popup makes driving basically unplayable. EVERYTHING takes too long to load, primarily the roads, so I have almost no idea where to drive. Even running the benchmark the same popup issues, well, "popup", so to speak. What if anything, can I do to mitigate this? I'm afraid that I'm gonna have to shelf this game until this is resolved, as it's too big of an issue to ignore.

Running an i5 3450, Radeon 7850 2GB, 8GB RAM, I believe.

In GTA IV I think this happened when your GPU runs out of VRAM when using the highest textures. So try less AA or lower textures.

Just had my first crash :/ I don't know if anything specific was happening, I was in the middle of the paparazzi freaks and strangers mission and it just froze but the sound kept playing.

Durante

Do tell.
What's going on?
AMD's driver CPU efficiency in multithreaded DX11 is significantly worse than NV's (by over a factor of 2). This is generally more significant in open world games with the potential for long draw distance like this one.

beeswax

My 980 and I are happy with 1080p and 4x MSAA, everything else on at least Very High and that seems to get me a locked 60fps.

I've seen mentioned this issue where only 59Hz appears in the in-game refresh rate options, I get the same thing whether playing on my monitor or PC. In fact, 59Hz is listed twice for some reason. It does indeed lock to 59fps which was giving me judder/stutter. The only way I could get smooth 60fps was disabling in-game V-Sync, enabling it in the Nvidia Control Panel and locking to 60fps using RTSS. Runs much better now.

Kezen

Banned
More CPU benchmark. i7 5960x takes the top spot despite of running at a measly 3.0ghz, which indicates some great multi-core scaling.

http--www.gamegpu.ru-images-stories-Test_GPU-Action-Grand_Theft_Auto_V_-test-2-GTA5_proz.jpg

I wonder what AMD's excuse will be, the Evil Nvidia&#8482; actively destroying performance for AMD cards ? Surely this must be it, and not the well known fact that AMD drivers suck compared to Nvidia's.

Did the consoles have tesselation?
For the water yeah, not sure what other assets have undergone the tessellation treatment on PC.

Top Bottom