• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA V PS4: 1080@30, Core i3/750Ti: 1080@60. How is this possible?

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-grand-theft-auto-5-pc-performance

But the results on even budget set-ups still outstrip those on PS4 and Xbox One. The GTX 750 Ti paired with the i3-3410 is a real success, for example - a combo that forms part of a circa-£300 PC, where 1080p60 at high settings is very doable.

Come on TechGAF, explain this to me. How is it possible that the Core i3/750Ti combo manages to offer almost double the performance of the PS4 even with console optimizations and coding to the metal? Is the PS4 CPU that much of a bottleneck? Is the PS4 version poorly optimized? What gives?

Elixist

if you follow the performance thread framerates are all over the place especially at night time with lighting hitting the grass. so I'm going to call b******* on that. also do we know what settings ps4 and Xbox one are set at? And the consoles could def. go over 30 in certain scenes they are capped.

if you follow the performance thread. Frame rates are all over the place especially at night time. so I'm going to call b******* on that. + do we know what settings ps4 and Xbox one are set at?

According to DF they did their best to match the console settings.

McHuj

Are all the settings the same between the PC and PS4? There's more to it than resolution and framerate.

Maxwell is a better architecture than GCN, imo as well.

Nafai1123

Banned
Really depends on the consistency of 60fps on that rig. Is it regularly dropping down into the 30's during certain scenarios? The framerate is locked on the consoles, so uncapped it would undoubtedly be running much higher than 30 a lot of the time.

Cuyejo

Well, when the Xbone version performs practically identically as the PS4 version and looking about the same too, it's fair to say something weird is going on.

gtj1092

Shouldn't you have all the answers considering you are a PC gamer. Break it down for us low level console players. Also don't the Ps4/X1 have the same spec for GTA5? Will you also make a thread asking why those two version are running the same even with a power difference?

Really depends on the consistency of 60fps on that rig. Is it regularly dropping down into the 30's during certain scenarios? The framerate is locked on the consoles, so uncapped it would undoubtedly be running much higher than 30 a lot of the time.

It's in the article, minimum framerate is 42.

Really depends on the consistency of 60fps on that rig. Is it regularly dropping down into the 30's during certain scenarios? The framerate is locked on the consoles, so uncapped it would undoubtedly be running much higher than 30 a lot of the time if it was uncapped.

Read the article guys. 42 fps minimum, 59 fps average.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Come on TechGAF, explain this to me. How is it possible that the Core i3/750Ti combo manages to offer almost double the performance of the PS4 even with console optimizations and coding to the metal?

It's not possible to determine whether this PC configuration offers double the performance, when it is running unlocked, while the PS4 version is capped at 30fps, and internally likely running higher than that.

Klossen

Banned
My guess would be that Intel CPUs are generally better for gaming as each core is more powerful compared to similar tier AMD CPUs.

I don't know about the GPU though. A 7870 performs better on PC than a 750 Ti does. It's weird. Either the game hits a CPU bottleneck, or the PS4 GPU isn't as powerful as a 7870 or there were optimization issues.

belmonkey

What's the ps4 settings?

DF says they think high settings, and they turned population density + distance scaling (at least) to 50%. I did a video with the same settings on my 750 ti + i5 4440 build, and the performance was in the 50s and 60s in the town during the "Repossession" mission. Haven't been in the countryside yet.

The GTA up-port really its only 30 fps?
This would be a real shame, and a mediocre upgrade over the last gen versions considered the difference in raw specs.

edit: op title was confusing, i read better the article

Ishida

Banned
A thread started by Alexandros about "weak consoles", followed by PC gamer circlejerking, "notebook CPU's" and stuff.

I honestly don't know what I expected.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Lets be clear, though, the ps4 version currently holds a rock solid 30fps without dips. That requires a frame-rate well above 30fps on average. If it were unlocked I wonder what we'd see? With the 30fps cap it's impossible to know.

Jaguar is shit even compared to a low end i3
With a decent cpu gta5 would have probably been 60 fps on ps4

Dying light on ps4 would not have needed a draw distance setting BELOW the lowest possible setting on pc to still only run at 30 fps.

I think a lot more current gen console games would be 60 fps if it wasn't for that pathetic cpu

A thread started by Alexandros about "weak consoles", followed by PC gamer circlejerking, "notebook CPU's" and stuff.

Thread whining from people like you, apparently!

I'm also not sure who you think you will do any favors by sticking your head in the sand on the cpu issue of the new consoles? Other than the corporations making them of course.

Mindman

I knew the OP was behind this thread based on the title alone. This topic can't seem to escape his attention!

EDIT:

LOL yes!

McHuj

The single threaded performance of that i3 is really good too in comparison to any AMD CPU.

It's a 3.4 GHz CPU so any task that can't be parallelized and must run a single thread will run way better on this than the Jaguar CPU.

Lets be clear, though, the ps4 version currently holds a rock solid 30fps without dips. That requires a frame-rate well above 30fps on average. If it were unlocked I wonder what we'd see? With the 30fps cap it's impossible to know.

Yeah, this too. People ignore this waaaay too often.

Tagyhag

Well, when the Xbone version performs practically identically as the PS4 version and looking about the same too, it's fair to say something weird is going on.

The PS4 couldn't get locked 60, or they would have done so. Since it has more juice they added extra details like that whole foliage fiasco.

There's no sketchy things going on. I'm sure if we unlocked the framerate it could go all over the place from 30-60 but that's not up to Rockstar's standards.

The cheapest PC I can build via NewEgg with a i3 and 750ti is about $430 before tax and shipping. Does not include an OS so add about $70-90 for that.

Caayn

My guess would be that Intel CPUs are generally better for gaming as each core is more powerful compared to similar tier AMD CPUs.

I don't know about the GPU though. A 7870 performs better on PC than a 750 Ti does. It's weird. Either the game hits a CPU bottleneck, or the PS4 GPU isn't as powerful as a 7870 or there were optimization issues.
A 7870 is more powerful than the GPU in the PS4.

If we were to look at everyones favorite measurement (FLOPS) you'd see a gap between the PS4's GPU and the 7870 similar to the gap found between the PS4 and XB1.

Kinthalis

Banned
Shouldn't you have all the answers considering you are a PC gamer. Break it down for us low level console players. Also don't the Ps4/X1 have the same spec for GTA5? Will you also make a thread asking why those two version are running the same even with a power difference?

Why don't you?

Most PC gamer's stopped beign suprised the 5th time an i3 + 750ti beat the pants of a PS4 in a game.

It's console gamers who keep on insisting that this CANNOT BE! Something something to the metal, grumble grumble closed system.

I think Alexandros is wondering why those things apparently mean nothing in real world scenerios. The answer is that they never meant much in the first place.

garath

This is important to note. It could be the PS4 can offer the same performance but for reasons Rockstar opted for the solid 30fps with no dips.

And the PC version has had another solid year of optimization.

Yeah anyone who game son PC knows that to maintain an fps lock, either 30 or 60, you are generally shooting for framerates that slightly exceed that in order to prevent dips before the lock. Its likely that PS4 is doing possibly into the 40s in some spots if it were unlocked.

Top Bottom