• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA V PS4/XONE Downgrade - Version 1.00 Vs 1.08 Comparison [edit: BUG]

Daffy Duck

I haven't noticed this at all ingame, but that's probably me...

It's definitely a case of:

It5SyP6.jpg

That sucks, but if there's a significant performance improvment, I'm fine with these little downgrade. Framerate is more important than graphics and fancy effect. I wouldn't mind more downgrade for a smooth 60fps framerate. It was a PS360 game after all, it should be doable, it's not like the old gen versions were ugly.

Vanguard

Some pretty big differences there, especially the parallax stuff. I've yet to get the ps4 version, still happy with my ps3 copy. Mostly waiting for it to go further down in price but to be honest this isn't going to affect my decision on getting it eventually much.

Also I can't help notice in both versions for the popping section, but all the cars are floating?

eso76

I was just taking a pic of the rails a couple days ago, which i had taken before and i noticed the parallax was gone.

This can't be an optimization thing, because objectively speaking, frame drops were very minor (PS4) and basically non-existant in those areas where the graphics took a more noticeable hit; desert, mountains etc those never suffered from framerate issues at all.

Bugs ?

Also, i'm mad at R* for not implementing Motion Blur (there's a motion blur slider somewhere, but it doesn't seem to affect anything, except maybe car crashes and stuff). I really love it when i switch back to Trevor with a hangover, there's a rather subtle motion blur effect that last for a few seconds and looks great. Suck it motion blur haters.

UnrealEck

Would you rather have worse framerate? Would you rather have better quality textures? Would you rather have this or that? If the answer is anything but 'I don't mind either way' then maybe you should consider buying it on PC.

Would you rather have worse framerate? Would you rather have better quality textures? Would you rather have this or that? If the answer is anything but 'I don't mind either way' then maybe you should consider buying it on PC.

This isn't a case of balancing performance/framerate with image quality/textures as the game already ran fine and there's no noticeable performance gain following the new patch.

Dunkley

Very infrequent frame drops from the 30FPS target are hardly something to justify that of a downgrade.

Should you guys not be more angry at the console designers for using hardware that is clearly underwhelming and cannot handle the vision that developers aim to deliver?

You talking about the PS3? Because while this game looks good, it is certainly not the best lookin game on the system. Indeed Rockstar's next game, Batman, looks quite a bit more impressive visually.

DryvBy

You must not remember how incredible GTA IV ran on PC at launch.

It was incredible how bad it ran.

Dunkley

Should you guys not be more angry at the console designers for using hardware that is clearly underwhelming and cannot handle the vision that developers aim to deliver?

I feel like either you didn't read the thread and just wanted to snipe in with some anti-console BS, or have no idea how GTAV ran before this patch. I suspect it's both.

Seanspeed

Banned
I was just taking a pic of the rails a couple days ago, which i had taken before and i noticed the parallax was gone.

This can't be an optimization thing, because objectively speaking, frame drops were very minor (PS4) and basically non-existant in those areas where the graphics took a more noticeable hit; desert, mountains etc those never suffered from framerate issues at all.

Bugs ?
Is POM an effect that only kicks in at a very close distance? Cuz if not, then it may still affect the framerate of just driving through an area and needing to produce to the effect even on the sides of the road or slightly in the distance or whatever.

Very infrequent frame drops from the 30FPS target are hardly something to justify that of a downgrade.
From what people have said, framedrops while in traffic can be quite regular and are hardly 'very infrequent'. Whether you noticed them or not is another thing entirely.

*Edit Just for clarity I am not trying to start an argument with this statement
It sure sounds like it. Or you should be smart enough to know that's what it would lead to.

Oppo

You talking about the PS3? Because while this game looks good, it is certainly not the best lookin game on the system. Indeed Rockstar's next game, Batman, looks quite a bit more impressive visually.

heheheh

Rocksteady, not Rockstar

this patch is maybe like the frozen trees thing. hopefully will be fixed

UnrealEck

This isn't a case of balancing performance/framerate with image quality/textures as the game already ran fine and there's no noticeable performance gain following the new patch.

Didn't know it ran fine.

Are you a Rockstar employee?
Nope. Why do you ask?

You must not remember how incredible GTA IV ran on PC at launch.

It was incredible how bad it ran.

You must not remember how incredible Max Payne 3 ran and how GTAV has been delayed several times over the course of time it's taken from PS3/X360 release to now and how they seem adamant about getting the game working as well as possible this time around. Plus hardware is way better in comparison to the software today than it was in GTAIV's day.

Also:
It still ran and looked better than the console version. Your point?

that too.

bud23

I haven't noticed this at all ingame, but that's probably me...

I play this game almost daily, and I noticed it as soon as I downloaded the patch. The pop-in is abysmal now....

-CG versions graphics/visuals massively downgraded.
-Release the PC version; glorious 4k, amazing video editor; the definitive version.
-?
-Profit.

Those greedy bastards.

Yoshi88

*Edit Just for clarity I am not trying to start an argument with this statement, I am just stating Rockstar clearly had a vision for the visuals and whilst they attained it originally they have probably realised the hardware isn't sufficient enough to deliver it with acceptable frame rates?

It is wrong for them to downgrade without saying anything though that I do admit, but if you want to point a finger at developers for having to visually downgrade their games you are doing it wrong IMO, it's the hardware, I think people are expecting too much of it.

I'd get this argument, if the downgrade happened BEFORE release. But they released it and by that settled the game's state and committed to their vision on that particular hardware. People bought that, journalists reviewed it for what it was (aside from graphical bugs like not-swinging vegetation) and now they are changing their "vision of what can be achieved on that hardware" months after release without proper communication and reasoning. I don't buy that.

And i don't get the comments about buying the PC version, if people are upset with this downgrade. As much as a PCgamer likes to have complete control over the visuals of the game on his machine, a console gamer can expect to not have taken any control of the visuals away after the game was finished and released (aside from pure, objectively upgraded features or bug solutions).

I don't know even know what you just said man. I didn't twist anything you said. You said making these changes would mean they released the game 'broken' before. That term used to mean game-breaking flaws or bugs, but its been so watered down now that seemingly any small flaw in a game can be grounds to call a game 'broken'. The term has lost all meaning in this outrage obsessed gaming culture.

Back then, your game had to work right off the door. When you have companies like Nintendo that is putting out products that work as intended, this sort of shit is embarrassing considering that this is a "re-master". So yeah, you're right, terms have lost it's meaning but broken ain't one of them. I expect a remaster to perform BETTER than its predecessor, hence the term. Also, this is coming from one of the most acclaimed studio out there you would expect at least some sort of quality control. I don't get how people wanting to demand more for their hard earned $60 "outrage obsessed"?

Seanspeed

Banned
Back then, your game had to work right off the door. When you have companies like Nintendo that is putting out products that work as intended, this sort of shit is embarrassing considering that this is a "re-master". So yeah, you're right, terms have lost it's meaning but broken ain't one of them. I expect a remaster to perform BETTER than its predecessor, hence the term. Also, this is coming from one of the most acclaimed studio out there you would expect at least some sort of quality control. I don't get how people wanting to demand more for their hard earned $60 "outrage obsessed"?
Nothing is, or was broken. The game worked fine before. Performance wasn't absolutely ideal, but the game wasn't broken. Many games in the past didn't perform perfectly, either.

And this does perform better than its predecessor, even pre-patch. Much better. What are you talking about? You are proving my point about the outrage obsessed culture.

I own a PS4 as well so it's not an attack on console owners, yes my main gaming device is PC but I do not let that stop me from purchasing consoles for specific games.

GTA V was the main reason for a PS4 purchase and last of us and the upcoming uncharted game and all I am saying is people need to be reasonable as to what they can expect from the hardware and what developers can achieve with it.

That's not me trying to have an arguemrnt, that's just fact.
You worded it in quite an inflammatory manner, whatever your intentions.

DryvBy

It still ran and looked better than the console version. Your point?

Day-1 didn't run better on my PC at all, and I've never had a system that's been low-end. I'm always mid to mid-high tier.

Here's this Google website talking about it.

You must not remember how incredible Max Payne 3 ran and how GTAV has been delayed several times over the course of time it's taken from PS3/X360 release to now and how they seem adamant about getting the game working as well as possible this time around. Plus hardware is way better in comparison to the software today than it was in GTAIV's day.

Yes, tell me more about Max Payne's open world and how well it ran. :p

You can't compare a linear shooter to an open-world game. To computer hardware, that's apples and oranges.

martino

That sucks, but if there's a significant performance improvment, I'm fine with these little downgrade. Framerate is more important than graphics and fancy effect. I wouldn't mind more downgrade for a smooth 60fps framerate. It was a PS360 game after all, it should be doable, it's not like the old gen versions were ugly.

But gta is surely a cpu bottle-necked game and current gen cpu are ....

Yoshi88

I do agree with you entirely, like I said, I think it's wrong that they have changed the state of the visuals without informing customers (unless this is simply an oversight on their part which I doubt tbh.)

They have obviously done it for a valid reason, I doubt any developer (especially rockstar) would intentionally downgrade visuals for no purpose whatsoever, how would they benefit?

I think the solution for console gamers would be to give them options as to what they want to enable/disable like in the PC space and give them warning as to how it will affect the fps.

Fully agree with you here.

Marlenus

From what people have said, framedrops while in traffic can be quite regular and are hardly 'very infrequent'. Whether you noticed them or not is another thing entirely.

I notice the frame drops when travelling at high speed, during the day, through the busiest intersections in the game. At night they or when on foot or travelling more slowly I do not notice them so if they do occur then it is a much more subtle drop.

I do not think these downgrades are a good tradeoff to improve the framerate in that particular edge case (assuming it does so). I need to play the game tonight to see if it even does improve the framerate in those sections.

OTOH if the performance was more variable more of the time and such downgrades did fix it then I could see the tradeoff as worth it but in this instance it really is not.

EDIT: for reference I have the PS4 version of the game.

Sounds like awesome marketing for their late PC version!

If a company other than Rockstar did this the reactions would be so different, I think. Shameful.

UrbanRats

Are we really getting this angry over some tessellation?
You buy a game and pay money to get a specific product, if that product gets changed without you consenting or without even clearly notifying you, it's something worth getting upset about.

One of the main reasons to buy this remaster is the improved graphics, you can't advertise a product, get the money, and then change what people are getting at your leasure.

i'm sure some EULA bullshit covers this legally, but it's still worth getting it out in the open so no more people get tricked.
-
Unless this is just ANOTHER bug like the foliage one, in which case we should hear a clarification coming from Rockstar.

Day-1 didn't run better on my PC at all, and I've never had a system that's been low-end. I'm always mid to mid-high tier.

The PC version ran better and had much higher quality graphics options. You posting some silly google search which leads to uninformed postings does not mean a thing. You cannot alter history mate. I am sorry that you turned up the quality sliders and expected 60fps on machine that was not capable.

GTAIV on console is low res, and runs below 30fps constantly. If you want, the PC version was able to turn down to the extremely low levels avilable on the console version and ran just fine. You do not need to max the sliders.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
So many times you hear people sayig they'd much rather have a better framerate at the expense of graphics and then you get all these over reactions. Personally, if it was that bigger issue I'd just delete the update. It's not the end of the world. ;-)

I don't know man.

There's an obvious downgrade but I still experience frame rate drops while speeding through the center of the city.

I hope this is just a bug like the tree bug because that would really suck if they downgraded the entire game just to attempt to solve a minor problem such as frame drops at one section of the game.

It's very plausible it's a totally dumb error. Misconfigured config file or such. We will see in the coming days I suppose.

It could be a mistake too, no one is denying that. But I doubt people should just claim that Rockstar are bad devs because the game looks a little worse than before (I fail to notice it as far as I'm concerned). No devs makes their games worse without a reason. It's either a mistake or they had performance reasons related to the hardware.

Dries

All this missing stuff better be in the PC version...... But WTF indeed, Rockstar. It's also pretty suspicious that the PC version will be out in 2/3 weeks and we still don't really know much about it. I really need them to not have removed this stuff for the PC version too.

Have they commented officially yet?

The framerate dips weren't frequent or large enough in SP to warrant this downgrade imo. :/

I have noticed a framerate improvement in MP, though, which is very welcome.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
If performance is better than why is this a big deal to some here? Aren't some here already critical of devs who ship out games that have issues? The game already looks better and it seems like the performance is better so mission accomplished. I already have the PC version pre-order but this is something of a good move in my opinion.

Haha... has to be a bug, surely? If not, that's just embarassing tbh.
No, it really isn't. If it stabilizes performance then I see no issue. Unless it hurts someone's soul.

Top Bottom