• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA V PS4/XONE Downgrade - Version 1.00 Vs 1.08 Comparison [edit: BUG]

Randam

Did the current generation version have more damage than last gen?
Because on Ps3 there almost none and if they reduced thst even further..

Hulohot

Neo Member
Assassins creed unity had a severe downgrade in the once beautifully lit cathedral near nortre dame, stunning but had a bad frame rate especially when climbing the stained glass windows, they fixed that frame rate and ruined the most beautiful building interior In the game.

Malcolm9

I've just been playing it for a bit after reading this thread, and apart from the framerate bring much smoother graphically the game seems the same.

Pop in doesn't seem any different to how it was before for me, same with the car damage.

Denton

Really hope the PC version wont suffer from this. I want that POM and car damage.
Lame as hell, Rockstar.

Randam

I've just been playing it for a bit after reading this thread, and apart from the framerate bring much smoother graphically the game seems the same.

Pop in doesn't seem any different to how it was before for me, same with the car damage.
But it isn't

It's just not that noticeable with comparison.

Seanspeed

Banned

I wonder if the car damage isn't the same, its just they increased the impact threshold of the damage occurring? Basically, they made vehicles sturdier? This could be a balancing change rather than a downgrade. I still see the car being deformed and losing panels and whatnot after repeated beatings, it just seems to take more to do it.

That is pretty bad...and on a cross gen game as well... Haven't bought it yet, but anyway I can stop it from updating when eventually I do?

chiliboy

Yeah the main thing I noticed about the PS4 version at release was the terrible framerate at certain places. Will have to test it again.

If they downgraded to achieve it, so be it - at least be upfront about it.

Also the pcmasterrace thing is getting tiring on YT comments. I play on both PC and PS4 and I can see the benefits of both platforms. Jesus H Christ at the boring juvenile 4K circlejerk.

Omni

oh my god I thought I was going crazy. I was sure as hell that this game had been downgraded. I noticed with the grass on the sides of the road and what seemed to be increased aliasing.

The performance wasn't even bad before... VERY disappointing.

hodgy100

People complain about framerate, fix frame rate, people complain about changes to fix frame rate. Poor rockstar can't catch a break!

Malcolm9

I wonder if the car damage isn't the same, its just they increased the impact threshold of the damage occurring? Basically, they made vehicles sturdier? This could be a balancing change rather than a downgrade. I still see the car being deformed and losing panels and whatnot after repeated beatings, it just seems to take more to do it.

I'll try a few more car damage experiments later, but just now I literally drove off a small hill up where the high rise apartments are and it completely took off my bonnet and tyre arch.

It'll be interesting to see more opinions on this for sure (decent ones that is, not just a random shit post for the hell of it).

tuna_love

Banned
I'll try a few more car damage experiments later, but just now I literally drove off a small hill up where the high rise apartments are and it completely took off my bonnet and tyre arch.

It'll be interesting to see more opinions on this for sure (decent ones that is, not just a random shit post for the hell of it).
It's the cars deforming damage. Not panels falling off.

Seanspeed

Banned
Also the pcmasterrace thing is getting tiring on YT comments. I play on both PC and PS4 and I can see the benefits of both platforms. Jesus H Christ at the boring juvenile 4K circlejerk.
I would avoid Youtube comment sections in general. You can find awful comments from all 'communities' there.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Has to be a bug. The framerate performance now compared to before the heist update is unnoticeable and I play the game daily. I guess someone screwed something up on that update.

Komo

Banned
I can understand that removing tessellation from certain objects can improve performance, but I don't see any advantages in significantly reducing vehicle body deformation

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
It is not unnoticeable to plenty of others apparently.
Seems like plenty wouldn't have noticed a difference until it was pointed out to them.
Actually thinking about it though, I probably wouldn't have noticed a framerate improvement unless it was major.

Gaogaogao

this is why patch notes are a thing. explain yourself, rockstar.

at the very least, people need options to decide for themselves if the effects are worth sacrificing.

I have faith that all will be made right with the pc version.

SpokkX

oh thats why the framerate in GTA online is way better
And i mean WAY. It hardly drops ever from 30 now. Before it dropped all the time

I prefer dropping effects for framerate so this is fine imo..

Except the vehicle destruction model, since that actually affects the gameplay. Would like that at a higher level at least

Ding-Ding

Its unclear just how much of 1.08 is by design or how much because of bugs.

Deformation is most certainly a bug, as there are instances where the car still deforms, then something triggers and it becomes a solid mass (panels removed & scratches only).

I really wouldn't be surprised if pretty much everything seen that's 'downgraded' in 1.08 is purely bugged. It seems that they were so focused on heists, they didn't even bother to test anything else that may have been affected.

Kiko

Wow...I played it last days after a while and noticed something like "I though it looked better...strange". Now I know at least that I am not stupid haha.

Never heard of a downgrade by patch. Makes me worry because I liked that auto updating function. I might turn it off then. But for now it is too late...

Many people did notice better performance, though! lol

I think this game bridges the divide between cross gen and next gen. It is not just some up-res'd port.

Yeah, sure it looks very nice. Hopefully, Batman really does look and run like the footage they released, because that game looks much more impressive visually and seems to run better. Wel, that wouldnt be a surprise given the game is targeted at current gen.

Broank

Wow that's surprisingly quite a difference. Has this ever happened in a game before?

But if it needed the frame rate stabilized that is always first priority, just a shame they had to gimp it to such an extent rather than optimizing or whatever. I really liked the parallax mapping. :(

Framerate improvements are always welcome.

Disabling or reducing graphical fidelity in order to achieve better framerate in a patch after the game gets released is not uncommon but it should be fucking mentioned in the patch somewhere.

Distasteful, Rockstar. Not going to update my Xbone version now.

UrbanRats

Should've let people decide.

It's pathetic how you pay for a game, and get the rug pulled from under you mid way through, without getting even notified of it.

Wil348

Could it possibly be a bug? I remember that trees didn't have animation until the Christmas update, and that Heists introduced the car damage glitch.

Still, I didn't even notice it until it was pointed out. The game hasn't looked any different for me.

While it's pretty god damn laughable that people have nothing better to do than spend more time criticising other people for what device they game on rather than actually gaming, I would just pay no attention to it. While I also see the benefits of PC gaming, it's just not for me right now, case closed.

Eh I'd much rather have a stable framerate, speak for yourself buddy

Me too, but there's a big difference downgrading between post-launch and pre-launch. If they had to downgrade with a patch it means they intentionally sent a broken game out the door which is inexcusable. Secondly, they are deliberately removing features for a game people paid for. There's no justifying that at all.

The game might be slightly better now because of the improved framerate but I'm still not supporting devs cutting graphical effects post launch, fuck that.

Litri

This is really lame. At the very least they could have stated the change somewhere, and letting consumers know that this is in the benefit of frame rate or something else...

Joey Ravn

Banned
Sure, if you like a lot of DRM restrictions on it.

We will be needing a source for that. AFAWK, GTA V on PC will only have Steam and the Rockstar Social Club, which is exactly the same amount of DRM it has on consoles (RSC + platform of choice).

Seanspeed

Banned
Me too, but there's a big difference downgrading between post-launch and pre-launch. If they had to downgrade with a patch it means they intentionally sent a broken game out the door which is inexcusable. Secondly, they are deliberately removing features for a game people paid for. There's no justifying that at all.
Not at all. The game wasn't 'downgraded', as much as they make some compromises in order to improve another important area of the game. It was never 'broken', either. This must be one of the most exaggerated and watered down uses of the term I've seen yet.

Seems like plenty wouldn't have noticed a difference until it was pointed out to them.
Actually thinking about it though, I probably wouldn't have noticed a framerate improvement unless it was major.
People here in this thread were saying they'd noticed(past tense) a performance improvement.

Yet I don't see a single person saying they'd noticed the lack of POM...

SURGEdude

When it was just car damage, I thought it was a mistake. When you add in worse LOD/pop-in, AF and occlusion changes, it definitely seems intentional at this point

Yeah one of the changes could be a bug, but all together it sounds like it was done intentionally for performance gains.

Top Bottom