• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA V PS4/XONE Downgrade - Version 1.00 Vs 1.08 Comparison [edit: BUG]

DOWN

Banned
Everyone pray it is bug issues and that even if it was intentional, they'll see the backlash and change it back by pretending it was bug issues.

Toparaman

Banned
What an era... Games getting downgraded via patches lol.

It happened with the PS3 version too. I started playing it about three months after release, and the intro (that shows the beaches, credits, etc) was loading textures about two seconds later after each shot appeared. It looked awful. I downgraded back to version 1.00 and the problem went away.

Yarbskoo

It's like I'm looking at a preview of the PC version.

Seriously though, that's pretty bad. At least they didn't take away music too.

nib95

Banned
I don't get the collisions part. And how the hell do you downgrade/add popping?

They seem to have added a more aggressive LOD. Eg stuff in the distance loses detail and blurs sooner, and things pop in earlier. Presumably this is another performance increasing measure.

SURGEdude

Everyone pray it is bug issues and that even if it was intentional, they'll see the backlash and change it back by pretending it was bug issues.

I don't know man, there are tons of changes so I can't see how it could just be a bug. I mean AA, collisions, popping textures, those must all be separate flags/settings that have to be changed.

How many frames extra did the patch provide on average?

Blackage

I think we're at the point where console games might as well have graphics settings. If people want to sacrifice frame rate for minor graphical changes that's fine.

DOWN

Banned
I don't know man, there are tons of changes so I can't see how it could just be a bug. I mean AA, collisions, popping textures, those must all be separate flags/settings that have to be changed.

How many frames extra did the patch provide on average?

It was only dropping 3-4 during dips with the lowest recorded of 24fps in high traffic. Generally was close to stable 30 before and clearly better than last gen, so I don't see how they could justify all those changes.

Javin98

Banned
Watching the video to the end, the reduced car damage makes zero sense. Even the last gen versions had better damage than that. I really hope this is some bug that can be fixed easily. Right now, this is worse than the removed god rays on the PS4 version of Far Cry 4 IMO.

Tigress

GT5 was "downgraded" to improve the framerate.

Ok, so if they downgraded it for the frame rate, I'd say boo. I know some people would disagree with me.

On the other hand... and maybe they did do this... if this made pop in better, especially when flying, I'm fine with it.

Though either I've gotten used to the pop in or they have improved it at some point cause the pop in isn't standing out to me as much (and it really annoyed me when it first was out on PS4).

It's odd because I thought the collision was a problem so I made the thread below, but tested it thoroughly and it seemed fine. I assumed it was a glitch

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1008451

My collision test (1.08):

mJHHfq.jpg

Coswo0.jpg

Shredderi

Patching to improve performance is normally done by optimizing games further after release. This is certainly not the way to go about it, even if it improves framerate. And this is a cross-gen game too... Glad I didn't buy for consoles.

Ishida

Banned
And now we have the usual dumbass comments of users hinting this to be because of "underpowered consoles".

Fantastic.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I think we're at the point where console games might as well have graphics settings. If people want to sacrifice frame rate for minor graphical changes that's fine.

First time I played was with the update, so I dont even know what it was like before. I just realized autosave was working before the update....

I just realized I had my PS4 set to auto update and I turned it off prepping for the upcoming system update. Didnt want to update just yet.

I did notice cars seemed to take less damage, thought it was just a current gen thing. (had it on PS3)

There are a few graphical settings in the game, but agree we may need more like on PC.

I am leaning towards a bug because autosave wasnt working for me tonight.

Rambone

This is depressing. I did not plan on buying the PC version but I guess it will be unavoidable at this point. I'll still probably wait till there is a serious discount on it as I'm not a fan of triple dipping at full retail costs.

RdN

That's so weird. The game ran mostly fine before, there's no explanation on why they'd do this.

Then again, I've played all heists and a pretty good time of Free Mode past week and didn't notice any difference.

Tainted

Damn these threads....I never noticed any of this but now every time I play I will be looking out for it :/

MrBali

Neo Member
Better fps over graphics anyday. I thought that's what GAF always argued for too. I don't understand this site sometimes.

Derpyduck

Banned
Framerate sucked on PS4 while driving in the city during the day. Now it doesn't. Much happier with the game now and I didn't notice any downgrade while playing.

nib95

Banned
Better fps over graphics anyday. I thought that's what GAF always argued for too. I don't understand this site sometimes.

GAF has a pretty diverse array of opinions. I'm personally of the better visuals over frame rate kind, but I suppose I'd need to see how much of a difference this makes to the overall frame rate. If it's the difference between a locked 30fps and rare drops, I'd probably take the rare drops. But if it's between a locked 30fps and constant drops, I'd naturally take the first option.

DOWN

Banned
GAF has a pretty diverse array of opinions. I'm personally of the better visuals over frame rate kind, but I suppose I'd need to see how much of a difference this makes to the overall frame rate. If it's the difference between a locked 30fps and rare drops, I'd probably take the rare drops. But if it's between a locked 30fps and constant drops, I'd naturally take the first option.

This.
It runs much smoother now. My friend and I both noticed it immediately. It's a huge improvement.

I think we were reasonably hoping they'd work on under the hood optimizations like many games do. I'd take the original performance over these changes. It was a great improvement over last gen as it was, most of the time at 30. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5z6ONWZ7etA

Valnen

Wow. If I had actually bought this game instead of renting it, I'd want a damn refund. This is unacceptable.

SURGEdude

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter right?
GTA VI will be a huge hit as always.

Doesn't matter if you are R* but it seems like it might to an informed consumer like many Gaffers.

Sort of depends on how severe the drops were and how much improvement the downgrade provides.

Everyone has opinions. I generally prefer graphical fidelity over FR as long as the framerate is stable and reasonable (30).

In any game, downgrading a game's visuals when the reason a large people bought the game in the first place was BECAUSE of the visuals is a pretty fucking shitty thing to do, and to not even come out and admit they sacrificed X to improve Y makes it worse.

Black Hat

Honestly did not notice any graphical downgrade at all.

Did notice the smoother frame rate and the game is better for it as a result... so I'm going Devil's advocate on this one and saying I find it better post patch.

Lamneth

Banned
If they have indeed improved the framerate then I see this as a good thing. Pretty shocking it couldn't keep a constant 30 in the first place.

kingwingin

If this gets the ps4 version to a solid 30 when driving in the city im down. I'm not gonna speed by a texture at 80mph and go "ew"

Honestly did not notice any graphical downgrade at all.

Did notice the smoother frame rate and the game is better for it as a result... so I'm going Devil's advocate on this one and saying I find it better post patch.

I didn't notice the occlusion or AF changes but I was positive I noticed worse pop-in the other day. Assumed it was just me being crazy but it seems not

Top Bottom