• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Latest GTA update may have a glitch that disables car damage

So this was brought up in the thread about the heists update but I figured it may be significant enough to warrant its own thread, and I'd like to get some more confirmation on which systems are affected.

Basically it sounds like while you can still scratch and ding up your cars, the more severe deformation is no longer present. I assume this is just a glitch like the lack of tree/shrub movement at launch and not intentional, but I don't know if Rockstar has acknlowedged the problem yet.

Here's an example:

Cars don't deform in single player anymore. A weird bug to have.

gGO5nHr.jpg

eeHsNYC.jpg

And more confirmation:

Came here to mention this, they don't in multiplayer either though I was able to test both before getting kicked off completely. Pretty big bummer I hope it's not intentional.

No damage model confirmed for me on X1....wtf.

Just took bunch of cars into the mountains for some off road destruction and nothing but a few scratches... :(

As an example, here's what a car should look like after some severe collisions (sorry for the quality, this is a phone pic I took of the PS3 version over a year ago, if someone has a better shot of the damage model I'll replace it):

So far the only posts I have seen mention the XB1 version, though I was playing on PS4 last night and vehicle damage also seemed nerfed, though I didn't test it extensively so I'm not willing to say I experienced the issue yet. Can anyone playing on other systems post your platform if you are also experiencing this? Hopefully we can bring it to Rockstar's attention.

Update 1

I'm throwing testimony from this thread here as well, I'll order the posts by platform

XB1

Bug is present

I can confirm this in single player(XB1). I just beat a car for like 20 min with a hammer and nothing but scratches...

EDIT:

Yep, I just tried multiplayer, and it's like this too. Detachable parts (bumpers, hoods, ect.) still come off, but the main body stays fairly unscathed.

Definitely experiencing this on the XBO.

At first my friends and I thought it was something happening only with DLC cars, but we tested with others and, sure enough, they didn't deform. Takes a lot from the game.

But, oh well.. This is par for the course with these next gen versions. They sipped the game without the tree animations, after all. Let's hope they fix this soon.

PS4

Bug is present

I have this bug on PS4 :(
Single, servers doesn't work for me now.

I made a lot of crashes, untill car won't start anymore. I tried with more cars.

Yep, same thing on PS4 with a hammer. I took some pics of a car I rammed into a wall over and over, but they aren't showing up on the site yet. Doors and everything fall off, but it seems there's no deformation.

edit: Going look for a train.

I have the bug in SP (PS4 version), and I wasn't having server problems.

PS4, yeah, definitely have this bug. The biggest indicator is that hoods no longer fly off - it's something that's easily noticeable if you play a lot in FPS mode.

Yep, I have it on PS4. No matter what I do, I cannot dent a single car, only take ddoors bumpers off.

More seriously though, single player is deleting alot of purchased vehicles from the hangers etc. Kissed goodbye to over half my purchased planes, my tanks and cargobobs. Some special cars are also overwriting cars parked in the 1st space.

If you play single player, you would be wise to stay away from this update till Rockstar fixes it

X360

Seems fine so far

May be a NG feature only car damage are fine on X360 though we had that atrocious face/skin bug.

Update 2:

Some people seem to not be experiencing this issue:

Mine is updated on XB1 and I played a ton last night. Was creating all kinds of deformities.

No issue like that on PS4 that I experienced last night and I did try ramming cars head on after hearing about it on Gaf and the cars got smashed up good but myself and a friend did encounter a bug where equipping the new ski masks and taking them off will change your character's facial appearance, which obviously you can't fix or tweak after. =/

Simo

No issue like that on PS4 that I experienced last night and I did try ramming cars head on after hearing about it on Gaf and the cars got smashed up good but myself and a friend did encounter a bug where equipping the new ski masks and taking them off will change your character's facial appearance, which obviously you can't fix or tweak after. =/

ODDI

May be a NG feature only car damage are fine on X360 though we had that atrocious face/skin bug.

It's temperamental. In SP I couldn't make Michael's Tailgater deform, then I went online and managed to make an Infernus deform, then I went back to SP and could deform Michael's.

Derpyduck

Banned
I'd like to find that out, but on PS4 I either can't join a server or it dumps me into completely empty servers. I'm also set to Load Into GTA: Online at boot-up, yet it loads the single player instead. So many bugs.

Skull_Splosion

Neo Member
I can confirm this in single player(XB1). I just beat a car for like 20 min with a hammer and nothing but scratches...

EDIT:

Yep, I just tried multiplayer, and it's like this too. Detachable parts (bumpers, hoods, ect.) still come off, but the main body stays fairly unscathed.

PreFire

I haven't noticed the car damage bug (ps4 digital copy) but I'll try it in a few.

The bug I have noticed is the constant message on the top left corner of the screen, "Press x to duck in a car".. It displays the message every single time I enter a vehicle. I've ducked over 20 times already so I know it's not a tutorial thing.. The message isn't game breaking in any way but if they overlooked this, and some players are experiencing incorrect car damage, I wonder what else Rockstar might've missed.

Hopefully they'll patch it, with a smaller update lol

Edit: I just remembered after the update two fully modded Adders aka Bugatti's in Franklins garage, and they were both gone after the update. :(

eFKac

Don't know about the damage, but one new bug for me in SP (PS4), when dropping out of GTAO the game loads one of the characters and the world lacks textures on the ground, then the screen cuts to black, loading icon shows up and after some time the game loads one of the random situations properly, although you can see the textures loading.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop

Yep, same thing on PS4 with a hammer. I took some pics of a car I rammed into a wall over and over, but they aren't showing up on the site yet. Doors and everything fall off, but it seems there's no deformation.

edit: Going look for a train.

pahamrick

I should ask, are you guys using regular cars and not your own cars that may have armor/body upgrades that make them tougher?

The ones I was using in SP were just ones I hijacked. In online they were ones placed via the creator mode. Don't know if that would cause them to act any differently, but I don't think so.

I noticed this when using the cars provided for the first two heists. I hammered them good and they didn't have any deformations barely scratches I assumed maybe it's because of story or something but maybe it was this big indeed

I noticed this when using the cars provided for the first two heists. I hammered them good and they didn't have any deformations barely scratches I assumed maybe it's because of story or something but maybe it was this big indeed

Well if you're talking about the car you steal in the first heist that one is heavily armored so I didn't expect it to take much damage.

But yeah I did smack around that car you get for the second heist and it didn't seem to get very messed up either

Well if you're talking about the car you steal in the first heist that one is heavily armored so I didn't expect it to take much damage.

But yeah I did smack around that car you get for the second heist and it didn't seem to get very messed up either

Exactly. The second one really bugged me off. It was a tough as nail pursuit and when I parked it : barely a paint scratch. I got gang bang pretty hard by many cops and baddies. Like many car killing crashes but nope. She went on just fine

Exactly. The second one really bugged me off. It was a tough as nail pursuit and when I parked it : barely a paint scratch. I got gang bang pretty hard by many cops and baddies. Like many car killing crashes but nope. She went on just fine

Yeah I slammed into traffic, rocks, did flips, landed upside down, rolled a few times, nothing but a few dents.

PS4, yeah, definitely have this bug. The biggest indicator is that hoods no longer fly off - it's something that's easily noticeable if you play a lot in FPS mode.

RdN

At first my friends and I thought it was something happening only with DLC cars, but we tested with others and, sure enough, they didn't deform. Takes a lot from the game.

But, oh well.. This is par for the course with these next gen versions. They sipped the game without the tree animations, after all. Let's hope they fix this soon.

Yeah I'm hoping that too, my only concern is that it was in and then got removed. When combined with what I feel is an improved framerate on PS4, I'm worried something got sacrificied.

Hoping that's just my tin foil hat.

Ding-Ding

Yep, I have it on PS4. No matter what I do, I cannot dent a single car, only take ddoors bumpers off.

More seriously though, single player is deleting alot of purchased vehicles from the hangers etc. Kissed goodbye to over half my purchased planes, my tanks and cargobobs. Some special cars are also overwriting cars parked in the 1st space.

If you play single player, you would be wise to stay away from this update till Rockstar fixes it

Cragvis

Holy crap, I thought I was going insane when i crashed my car into a train and nothing but scratches. Figured maybe I just hit it wrong? If thats even a thing? lol

Posteezy

Neo Member
I've noticed even before the patch that the sides of the cars, particularly the doors, don't deform as much as they did one the last gen versions. I thought I remeber being able to kick the doors and dent them on the 360 version, but I can't do that on the xbox one version, is it just me? Hopefully they straighten this all out.

Top Bottom