• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm having a second honeymoon with Cyberpunk 2077 after revisiting it for the first time since the disastrous launch

Mikado

Gold Member
To some people traveling is the only method to spend your vacation.
I like traveling, but I'm often more stressed out after my travel than before leaving there. I'm not a huge "hang out at a sunny beach all day" kind of guy either, so I usually travel to places to see the culture and history.
So I don't travel every year I'm on vacation and to some people that's unfathomable, like why even be on vacation if you're not traveling?
Chilling, seeing friends and family and just taking it easy on vacation days is a rare thing apparently.

tbf, if we want to get serious about "Ruining The World", I'm pretty sure the impact of getting in a kerosene-burning airliner or worse, a bunker-fuel-burning, raw-sewage-dumping cruise ship is considerably higher impact than playing a Digitally Downloaded Videogame (especially since you'll probably be playing such a game on either the plane or the ship anyway because you would go out of your mind of boredom otherwise).

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I enjoyed the Cyberpunk setting and story and appreciate the fact you dont have to play it like FPS but the actual moment to moment gameplay and combat sucks....This is CPR, combat is not their strong point.

Last edited:

Mikado

Gold Member
Refunded it at launch, picked it up again during the sale this week. No obvious game-breaking issues so far and it runs just fine (PC).

Honestly, at this point in my life, I don't have a lot of patience for super-branchy uR cHoIcEz MatTeR schemes in the classic Bioware/Telltales because honestly they always feel like the dev is trying to play gotcha.

So I don't mind the on-rails aspect so far, mostly because the story as laid out is engaging enough. The dialog flows nicely and the visual world building is excellent in the areas where it was a focus (as mentioned elsewhere, it can get a bit jank if you go off the path).

Enough time has passed that anyone who is getting this game now knows what they're getting into.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
but the actual moment to moment gameplay and combat sucks....This is CPR, combat is not their strong point.
Nah its just you and everyone else who have no idea how to play immersive sims or games that have more freedom than games that play the game for you in animations and everything when you press hit.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
I enjoyed the Cyberpunk setting and story and appreciate the fact you dont have to play it like FPS but the actual moment to moment gameplay and combat sucks....This is CPR, combat is not their strong point.

Combat is actually one of the best things about this game. It sucks on consoles, movement and aiming feels off, FOV is too narrow... but on PC it's fire.

Roni

Gold Member
You make it sound like it's just a brief interaction with Panam but in reality it's 3 long ass main missions.
Considering Lighting Breaks and Life During Wartime 2 separate missions might be even more disingenuous than assuming I've said these are short missions. You have no choice but to play them together.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Considering Lighting Breaks and Life During Wartime 2 separate missions might be even more disingenuous than assuming I've said these are short missions. You have no choice but to play them together.

Disingenuous is calling something optional when in reality it isn't. Calling 2 separate mission that are listed as 2 separate mission in the official guidebook (MJ-20 + MJ-21) is just reporting on facts. Man, just stop.

Roni

Gold Member
Disingenuous is calling something optional when in reality it isn't. Calling 2 separate mission that are listed as 2 separate mission in the official guidebook (MJ-20 + MJ-21) is just reporting on facts. Man, just stop.
Taking down the AV seems to be indeed obligatory, though that's something I'll be checking if it's just the wiki saying that, because I remember it different.

What is optional is "playing nice with the nomads". Take a page out of your own book and follow your last suggestion to me.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Taking down the AV seems to be indeed obligatory, though that's something I'll be checking if it's just the wiki saying that, because I remember it different.

What is optional is "playing nice with the nomads". Take a page out of your own book and follow your last suggestion to me.

You have to play nice with them because there's no alternative option to progress the story. Limiting your already slim role playing options.

Main story is on rails, why are you having such a hard time understanding it?

Roni

Gold Member
You have to play nice with them because there's no alternative option to progress the story. Limiting your already slim role playing options.
Visiting their camp to carry a box for your contact and interacting with Panam is not 'playing nice'. Panam's car is necessary for the job, which is why you recover it first.

You're under no obligation to help her get revenge on her old partner and you don't have to interact with the nomads after that.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Visiting their camp to carry a box for your contact and interacting with Panam is not 'playing nice'. Panam's car is necessary for the job, which is why you recover it first.

You're under no obligation to help her get revenge on her old partner and you don't have to interact with the nomads after that.

You're missing the point. The very fact you have to do that job with nomads and that specific nomad group is the problem. There's no other option. Seriously, it's not that hard to understand.

Are YOU sure you played the game?

Can't stress this enough. WAIT UNTIL SEPTEMBER 26TH BEFORE PLAYING THIS GAME.

Trust me, the game will go through a massive overhaul. Your experience will be much better. I also played at launch and once again last year after the Edgerunners update...awesome game, but its full potential will be with the release of Phantom Liberty.
Whats happened then? They reworking the original game as well?

Cyberpunk isn't bad at all but hardly an rpg...the ability to control what your character actually does and is is very limited and one of the main reasons I have 0 yearn to complete it.

simpatico

I had a great time with it at launch. Some of the specials didn't work we found out, but TBH I didn't even notice. Now it's even better. I'm holding off for Phantom Liberty to replay. Rumor is there's going to be a big 2.0 game overhaul.

Roni

Gold Member
You're missing the point. The very fact you have to do that job with nomads and that specific nomad group is the problem. There's no other option. Seriously, it's not that hard to understand.

Are YOU sure you played the game?
I did, so much so that I was about to hop on to check the AV thing (since I have the game installed) when I rememberd Anders is the stand in for Takemura if he dies. So, of course, that mission is mandatory. Otherwise there would no one for you to interact at Arasaka during the Devil ending...

If not for that, that mission would be optional. Just like other Main Jobs are already optional...

But I've understood already that from your perspective even getting the biochip should be optional. Which is not gonna be a thing...

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
I did, so much so that I was about to hop on to check the AV thing (since I have the game installed) when I rememberd Anders is the stand in for Takemura if he dies. So, of course, that mission is mandatory. Otherwise there would no one for you to interact at Arasaka during the Devil ending...

If not for that, that mission would be optional. Just like other Main Jobs are already optional...

But I've understood already that from your perspective even getting the biochip should be optional. Which is not gonna be a thing...

Name one main job that's optional.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
We Gotta Live Together

There's even more if we're talking about optional in a sense you can miss them and not that you can decide not do them: opening based on your life path + different ending depending on your 'choices'. And by choices I mean: make sure to complete side mission X or Y to unlock ending X or Z.

Don't go far with that goalpost, now...

I don't have to, you already embarrassed yourself with the 'knowledge' of this game.

So, of course, that mission is mandatory. Otherwise there would no one for you to interact at Arasaka during the Devil ending...

Yes, because the game is on rails. If Cyberpunk would be a true RPG you could just straight up refuse to work with the Nomads. You should be offered other ways of reaching your goal, based on either your background and/or skills. Or simply allowed to fail that goal and be locked from the 'Devil' ending. But because they love their story so much, player is not allowed to craft their own.

Check this decision tree. It illustrates the problem perfectly. The only main mission that is even worthy of an RPG is The Pickup in Act 1. In general, Act 1 is very strong. No wonder this is the mission they advertised the game with. Then you have linear stuff all the way until the very end.

sjwfcpkmu5y61.png

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
You asked me to name one, I did.

You also said that AV stuff is optional to finish the game. I think you should play the game some more to see how painfully on rails it really is. Version 2.0 is a great excuse for another run.

Roni

Gold Member
You also said that AV stuff is optional to finish the game.
Yeah, and I was man enough to come out and say it when I was wrong about that.

But the best I can get out of you when you're wrong is "b-but... What I meant... If we count...". That's why I don't engage in discussions with children. They always gotta be right. It's tiresome...

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially

But the best I can get out of you when you're wrong is "b-but... What I meant... If we count...". That's why I don't engage in discussions with children. They always gotta be right. It's tiresome...

Dude, I gave your post a thumbs up. It was a good pick. Stop projecting.

SkylineRKR

1.5 was servicable but still nothing great. Gigs, side missions... they are all the same. kill group and procure item. Besides that there isn't much to do. The main story is decent, but I was surprised at how short and limited it felt compared to TW3. And the quest designer agrees with the criticism. Why can you actually use non lethal weapons? As far as I know, the psycho takedowns are always non-lethal anyway.

There is this huge map but you can't gamble, street race (outside of a side story chain) etc.

The open world feels kind of lifeless.

ToadMan

I think it's great. It's cyberpunk, after all. Happy ending is not on the table. Ambiguous, bittersweet, or downright depressing - yes. But any good cyberpunk story should be closed with a really poignant ending.

Yes it is cyberpunk nihilism which is ok in a story game without character choices I guess.

I just didn't play or choose my way through it in a way I thought the ending matched and it grated at the end that I was railroaded down a path that didn't suit my play through.

But that's not say the story wasn't decent in itself - just that I didn't play my character for that ending.

It's not even the suicide aspect that bothers me. It's just the lack of choice around that plot point. To me there should have been an ending with the choice to fight more even if that ended with the character dying or otherwise being derezzed in combat .

Drizzlehell

Banned
Yes it is cyberpunk nihilism which is ok in a story game without character choices I guess.

I just didn't play or choose my way through it in a way I thought the ending matched and it grated at the end that I was railroaded down a path that didn't suit my play through.

But that's not say the story wasn't decent in itself - just that I didn't play my character for that ending.

It's not even the suicide aspect that bothers me. It's just the lack of choice around that plot point. To me there should have been an ending with the choice to fight more even if that ended with the character dying or otherwise being derezzed in combat .
What do you mean?

Suicide is like a one optional dialogue line that you can skip past if you don't want that ending. Otherwise the story will continue normally until you reach one of the regular endings, depending on what you've chosen and what conditions did you meet by completing side missions and making specific choices during those too. Even when you reach one of the endings that results in V going to the Crystal Palace, it's clearly indicated that it's not a suicide mission and he partnered up with Mr. Blue Eyes in hopes of finding a way to get rid of the Relic.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member

Dude, I gave your post a thumbs up. It was a good pick. Stop projecting.

Cyberpunk 2077 is one of my fav games of all time but I have to agree with Mid, in that, it's not an RPG at all when it comes to its story or even side stories. Sure there are multiple endings layed out for you like A,B,C and like 2 missions that have some branching but other than that, besides the choice to avoid side missions and not, it's very linear. It's not at all what they promised. Does it have an amazing story and characters tho? Fuck yeah it does.

The only RPG aspect the game has is its gameplay. You can tackle most missions almost any way you want, stealth, combat, ranged mage, samurai, etc.

It is very accurate to call CP2077 an action rpg tho just like Deus Ex HR and MD are called the same, and they both have linear story progressions.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Cyberpunk 2077 is one of my fav games of all time but I have to agree with Mid, in that, it's not an RPG at all when it comes to its story or even side stories. Sure there are multiple endings layed out for you like A,B,C and like 2 missions that have some branching but other than that, besides the choice to avoid side missions and not, it's very linear. It's not at all what they promised. Does it have an amazing story and characters tho? Fuck yeah it does.

The only RPG aspect the game has is its gameplay. You can tackle most missions almost any way you want, stealth, combat, ranged mage, samurai, etc.

It is very accurate to call CP2077 an action rpg tho just like Deus Ex HR and MD are called the same, and they both have linear story progressions.

Amen. It’s an amazing game, it’s just not a very good RPG. The disconnect between gameplay/mechanics and narrative is huge. It’s not a secret that the entire project was mismanaged. I’d love to know what exactly happened behind the scenes.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
ill be jumping in once they release the expansion with the overhaul patch. I think thats the best time to do so.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Sure there are multiple endings layed out for you like A,B,C and like 2 missions that have some branching but other than that, besides the choice to avoid side missions and not, it's very linear.
How is this different from literally every action RPG released in the past decade?

Hell, some games don't even give you that option, and yet nobody argued that they're not RPGs due to some arbitrary criteria.

Last edited:

BlackTron

Bought it at launch. I haven't even broken the plastic lol.

I keep telling myself I'll start it after every patch they release.

But honest to God I'll start when phantom drops. Supposed to be a huge patch that fixes the original game. So I'm just waiting for that.

Kinda this...I got it on Xbox for $5 and still haven't played it. I broke the plastic and installed it though.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
How is this different from literally every action RPG released in the past decade?

Hell, some games don't even give you that option, and yet nobody argued that they're not RPGs due to some arbitrary criteria.

I blame gamers and media for casualizing the term RPG but t make things clear action rpg is different than rpg. Baldurs Gate 3 is labeled as straight RPG even tho it has action.

ToadMan

What do you mean?

Suicide is like a one optional dialogue line that you can skip past if you don't want that ending. Otherwise the story will continue normally until you reach one of the regular endings, depending on what you've chosen and what conditions did you meet by completing side missions and making specific choices during those too. Even when you reach one of the endings that results in V going to the Crystal Palace, it's clearly indicated that it's not a suicide mission and he partnered up with Mr. Blue Eyes in hopes of finding a way to get rid of the Relic.

[I got to the end quite a long time ago so my memory is a bit hazy.

But on the roof I was offered a choice - one wasn't clear but it ended in suicide which happened to be the first I chose. Normally I don't reload in RPGs so this made me do that and was annoying.

The others were various forms of death - I ended up back on the space station.

Basically my character died on their knees when I was an armed to the teeth badass by that point, and that's not the way I wanted to go out.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
I blame gamers and media for casualizing the term RPG but t make things clear action rpg is different than rpg. Baldurs Gate 3 is labeled as straight RPG even tho it has action.
I swear to god, the next person who mentions Baldur's Gate 3 gets punched in a dick (in a video game).

Drizzlehell

Banned
[I got to the end quite a long time ago so my memory is a bit hazy.

But on the roof I was offered a choice - one wasn't clear but it ended in suicide which happened to be the first I chose. Normally I don't reload in RPGs so this made me do that and was annoying.

The others were various forms of death I ended up back on the space station.

Basically my character died on their knees when I was an armed to the teeth badass by that point and that's not the way I wanted to go out. ISPOILER]
It was very obvious. I don't know how could one interpret that option differently.

Admittedly, the scene isn't very well executed and feels as tacked on as that refusal ending from Mass Effect 3, but it was very clear to me what was about to happen if I picked it.

tbf, if we want to get serious about "Ruining The World", I'm pretty sure the impact of getting in a kerosene-burning airliner or worse, a bunker-fuel-burning, raw-sewage-dumping cruise ship is considerably higher impact than playing a Digitally Downloaded Videogame (especially since you'll probably be playing such a game on either the plane or the ship anyway because you would go out of your mind of boredom otherwise).
And if you have solar panels the electricity is free!

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
I swear to god, the next person who mentions Baldur's Gate 3 gets punched in a dick (in a video game).

Well it set up the bar for RPG's. Nothing comes close to it. Nothing is above it in terms of RPG mechanics. Not only that but it offers a cinematic experience as well. I may personally find its atmosphere a bit...generic and boring compared to Cyberpunk for example but it's certainly top 5 games of all time.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Well it set up the bar for RPG's. Nothing comes close to it. Nothing is above it in terms of RPG mechanics. Not only that but it offers a cinematic experience as well. I may personally find its atmosphere a bit...generic and boring compared to Cyberpunk for example but it's certainly top 5 games of all time.
Do you realise how nonsensical it is to compare it to a game that came out 3 years prior, though?

Besides, its existence doesn't automatically diminish the quality of every other game ever released. Some of you guys are beginning to retroactively compare it to literally everything, no matter how little a game that's being compared has to do with BG3 thematically and gameplay-wise. Comments like this prove that these devs on Twitter were right to try and set everyone's expectations about this stupid game.

Last edited:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Do you realise how nonsensical it is to compare it to a game that came out 3 years prior, though?

Besides, its existence doesn't automatically diminish the quality of every other game ever released. Some of you guys are beginning to retroactively compare it to literally everything, no matter how little a game that's being compared has to do with BG3 thematically and gameplay-wise. Comments like this prove that these devs on Twitter were right to try and set everyone's expectations about this stupid game.

Diminishing is one thing, setting up the bar is another. You can certainly compare games that came out 20 years ago with games that came out Today in certain aspects. Also BG3 came out in early access with Act 1 and already set the bar in 2020. And Divinity OS2 while not as popular as BG3 was already top 5 games of all time as well. So yeah...

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Really? Interesting. I preordered the game and made it through the campaign around launch by some grace of the tech gods, lol. It was an alright experience for me, but still pretty forgettable and honestly left me feeling like it was pretty "mid" as the kids say. I enjoyed it enough to complete it, but didn't have a big take away, unfortunately.

However, with the DLC coming and bringing a "ton" of improvements to the core game, it actually makes me even more excited about checking out the DLC. Or at least hyped, waiting to see what the reception may be, and THEN jumping in. Wouldn't hurt to be reserved after everything, hell, I'd expect everyone to approach with caution.

DeaDPo0L84

I played it at launch on PC when I had just gotten my 3090. It wasn't the best experience but far from the issues consoles had. Now I have a 4090 and decided to jump back in to do another playthrough and it's like an entirely different experience. With the new path tracing and being able to run everything @ well above 100fps, plus more mod support at this point, it's a really great experience.

Top Bottom